Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th May 2012, 11:22   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone
A friend of mine in a 3 series had a similar traumatic experience. While seated inside the car, all the electricals suddenly died and he was unable to lower the window panes or open the doors. Luckily he had his mobile with him and he called his son asking him to bring the duplicate key and open the door from outside. Leaves one wondering about the reliability of the sophisticated cars.
There is always a manual override to some essential functions like locks, like in VW Group cars the lever has to be pulled twice repeatedly to manually unlock, i can bet BMWs have manual override too. Its just that owners do not care about going through the manual, which has everything described in detail.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 11:26   #62
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: BMW X1 20d CE: Joy Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
There is always a manual override to some essential functions like locks, like in VW Group cars the lever has to be pulled twice repeatedly to manually unlock, i can bet BMWs have manual override too. Its just that owners do not care about going through the manual, which has everything described in detail.
Of course, in all European cars you need to pull the door handle twice. First for it to unlock and the second time to open the door.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 19:03   #63
BHPian

@ Rohan

The swapped Pirelli tyres were soft and very responsive. Hence the drive behaviour. The replaced tyres are the same ones as on my E60. Much less direction transfer to the steering wheel. Nothing wrong with the steering of your car. Sit back and relax.

Engine ceased. Broken oil pump. Very rare but have heard that before. Good that you get a new engine without hit to your pocket. They should be able to fix the problem with the new engine I hope.

With the two topics attended, put your worrys to rest and Vroom on.
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 19:11   #64
BHPian

Default BMW X1 service

Is there a way to check on a average what is expected in different services during the first 2years of a car ownership?

Got my first service done around 7.5k
Oil Change
One Filter

On board computer said service due in 2000km about 2 weeks back 15k mark. Around which time had a battery problem. Got the battery changed for a new one and now the On board computer says service due in 30,000km.

Tried calling the workshop up to clarify what when wrong and if it can be fixed. I assume a data backup was taken but not updated back up?
Its been two days and no call back, think will have to visit them though highly doubt any resolution because of their incompetence.

Any thoughts on what to expect, would like to know that before take it in a service centre and they try and get me to change everything.
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 22:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: BMW X1 service

Did you change the battery at the dealer? Have they done the usual oil+filter, etc. changes as part of this battery change visit? If the dealer carried out 15K km service in addition to the battery change then it is normal to expect the next service to be at 30K km (15K km being the typical service interval). Also the car will update it's service requirement based on the condition of brakes, oil, etc. in due course of time.

What is the battery issue you experienced? Seems too early to have any battery issue.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 22:27   #66
BHPian

Noting else except the battery change was done, atleast nothing I was invoiced for. Highly doubt they did the service and forgot to invoice, the other way around can happen with them but not this

Also the car is currently showing 30k till the next service not at 30k, so at 45k.

One day battery simply died on a short trip to town. Took in to the workshop and battery couldn't hold its charge, replaced under warranty.
Old 29th April 2014, 22:30   #67
Team-BHP Support

Seems like the technicians have reset the service interval notification. You might want to go back to the garage and check. Ideally complete the service, which will include oil and some filter changes. Do you have the maintenance package? Then better insist on needed service since they will try to skip it given a chance.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 22:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like the technicians have reset the service interval notification. You might want to go back to the garage and check. Ideally complete the service, which will include oil and some filter changes. Do you have the maintenance package? Then better insist on needed service since they will try to skip it given a chance.
Yep looks that way, have called the service center was told someone will callback. No call back yet, will take it to them later in the week. But expecting a "can't do anything now" reply.

Nope, don't have maintenance package.

My problem is if I just to them and ask for a service they would try to do things which are not even required. Though not always accurate would rather trust the on-board computer to tell what exactly needs to changed.

Also is 15k a normal point for a second service for a x1?

Last edited by CR-V : 29th April 2014 at 22:37.
Old 29th April 2014, 23:10   #69
BHPian

I think you shouldn't rely on the on board computer in such a circumstance and refer to your owners manual to know what are your exact service intervals and at what KM or Date the next service would be.
arun_m5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 23:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Yep looks that way, have called the service center was told someone will callback. No call back yet, will take it to them later in the week. But expecting a "can't do anything now" reply.

Nope, don't have maintenance package.

My problem is if I just to them and ask for a service they would try to do things which are not even required. Though not always accurate would rather trust the on-board computer to tell what exactly needs to changed.

Also is 15k a normal point for a second service for a x1?
15K or 1 year seems to be the typical service interval for Euro cars these days for oil+filter change. Even though BMW's service is condition based, it will still be more or less match this same interval.

You definitely need to take the car to the dealer to reset the service clock. My guess is oil, filter, brake cleaning, etc. are hard to decline. But you can definitely say no to new AC filter, wheel alignment, paid cleaning, etc.

If you suspect they are pushing unwanted jobs, you can insist that you want to look at service history of cars with maintenance package, you will be surprised to know that they carry out bare minimum required. They actually clean and replace filters for these cars!!
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 23:53   #71
BHPian

Cool, will do that. Just to clarify its been 7.5k since the last service, 15k is the total on the odo right now.

First service was done on 7.5k so another 7.5k since then.

Last edited by CR-V : 29th April 2014 at 23:57.
Old 20th May 2014, 21:34   #72
BHPian

Hi Friends

My friend is planning to buy X1 in Bangalore but he has some questions :

1. How is the Ride Quality for Driver, Co-passenger and rear-seat passengers.
2. Is there any chance that Service Interval which popsup at designated intervals as per documentation can be controlled by BMW or Service Center ?
3. Overall ownership review if any of the Team-BHPians is having 2013/2014 model of same.
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 21:43   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
H

2. Is there any chance that Service Interval which popsup at designated intervals as per documentation can be controlled by BMW or Service Center ?
3. Overall ownership review if any of the Team-BHPians is having 2013/2014 model of same.
1.Ride Quality
would be hard due to the stiff suspension, and rear-seat is quite cramped due to a lack of space.

2.Service Interval
Depends on your driving style, drive aggressively and the interval drops.The interval is dependent on the car ecu.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 21:56   #74
BHPian

Thanks Abishek

If the usage of car is around 60000 kms in 5 year then would you advise to opt for BSI.

regards

rakesh
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 22:26   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Hi Friends

My friend is planning to buy X1 in Bangalore but he has some questions :

1) Best way is to take a TD. Everyones view will be subjective.

2) No chance, some things are according to time but otherwise it goes by the sensors.

3) 2013 model got the 8 speed, and a much lighter steering, and also a softer suspension. All in all a big improvement over the previous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
1.Ride Quality
would be hard due to the stiff suspension, and rear-seat is quite cramped due to a lack of space.
While the rear seat is still a bit cramped, the ride has been softened considerably like with all newer Bimmers.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote