Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th July 2011, 21:20   #1
BHPian

Default Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly

My name is Gladiator.. Maximus Decimus Meridius..Conquerer of the LAs of the North.

Maximus came home on 22nd November 2010 after a long wait of 6 months. But it was a wait worth waiting for. He has clocked 12K kms and got Leh'ed on 29th June 2011.

Ladies and Gentlemen .. Please welcome Maximus to the forum.

At Khardung La

Name:  IMG_0930.JPG
Views: 14337
Size:  457.7 KB

Hanle

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_1731.jpg

Spangmik

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_1280_1.jpg

Pangong

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_1287_1.jpg

NH1

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-subtle.jpg

The LandCruiser

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7850a.jpg

Background

June 2009

I had been driving a Honda City (NHC) since the last 6 years. I love to drive and have travelled with family the length and width of the country in my city. What started as couple of 100 kms drives turned later into full blown 3K to 4K kms expeditions. She has gone deep in Kumaon Himalayas upto Munsyari, touched the sands of Jaisalmer and kissed the seas of Tarkarli in Konkan. Plus the countless trips on some of the worst roads in country in a state called Madhya Pradesh.
Though she had proved her worth beyound her capacity, its limitations in exploring my never ending list of places in this beautiful country of ours, were becoming becoming clearer to me with every trip we made. The inability to take that forest road, the inability to take that sandy path to the sea, the inability to go to those dunes in the dessert..... in short it had fuelled my wanderlust to the extent that it no longer served my purpose.

The hunt for a 4x4 had begun...

Last edited by columbus : 24th July 2011 at 21:46.
columbus is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 21:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

Hey thats a very promising start to a wonderful thread with lots of pics. Please use the assembly section and post the whole thing in a go.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 21:29   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

"A picture is worth a thousand words"
Congrats! on the Fort, wanted one went with the X1 instead.
How many km's done?
In depth review to come?
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 21:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
My name is Gladiator.. Maximus Decimus Meridius..Conquerer of the LAs of the North.
Columbus !
Finally doth thou arriveth !
Let me be the first to welcome Maximus and you here. And about time too.
What an entry. Fantastic snaps and I am all eyes.
Carry on Columbus.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 21:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!

What a start to the thread! The pleasure is ours, Gladiator!

All the pics are really beautiful! An upgrade from a city to the fortuner must have been really exciting. Hoping to own such an SUV someday. Looking forward to the rest of the thread! Please update soon with the detailed drive reports.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 22:13   #6
BHPian

Approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs

This perhaps was the most difficult task. Wife used to happily drive a 2 year old Estillo and me the 6 year old City. Common sense said sell the 6 year old City, buy an SUV and both husband and wife happy. But men are men and we want best of both worlds . Estillo was a trash of a car. It is perhaps the worst car i have ever driven. Its body roll can put the leaf spring scorpio to shame, It had the DNA of a rattle snake, Its gear shift was like rotating a stick in a mush porridge box...in short i hated it.
It took couple of months to convince my wife that
1. That driving a Sedan is as easy as a hatch.
2. I won't give her divorce even if you bang it against a tree.
3. A 6 year old City is a far better and practical 2nd car for us than a 2 year old Estillo.
Eventually and very reluctantly the permission was given with a condition that Estillo won't be sold till she is comfortable with the City. If she is not then the City goes. I knew that once she drives the City for some time Estillo will not have any chance.

The Contenders

I was very clear from the begining that buying an SUV without a 4x4 will be of no use to me. I am not into offroading and probabaly i never will be but I know myself and i knew what i wanted and why i wanted it.
With a budget of 10-12 lakhs the options were very limited.

1. Second hand GV

It was a capable offroader for the kind of places i would take her. Sudev's ownership experience was more than enough to showcase GV's capability and the low cost of maintainenace due to its sharing of parts with SX4. Have driven a GV and liked its more car like ride. It had the legendary Maruti reliability and Service backing. And with 2 year old GVs going for 9-11 lakhs this was one vehicle which suited my requirement to the G. The high cost of Petrol was not the botheration since the GV would be primarily be used for outstation trips and the City would continue to do the city duty.
But the only problem with the GV was getting one. There are numbered GVs in Bhopal. One 18th month old vehicle did came into the market but the asking price was lets say Unrealistic. After a wait of 6 months saw an ad in Carwale of a 16 month old GV being sold in Indore at the price i was expecting. Armed with the Team BHP checklist, took a leave from office and drove to Indore to check it out. On the outside the vehicle was scratch less as if freshly painted with brand new tyres. On a closer inspection the vehicle "failed" every point in the checklist. Incomplete papers, leaking central differential, Sheered off wheel bolts, alignment issues and what not. For those looking for a second hand car the TBHP checklist is one thing which you should not miss.
The quest for GV ended there. I did not have the patience to wait any longer.

Enter the Desi Boys...

December 2009

2. Scorpio 4WD

The Scorp with tail was just launched and available only in Vlx trim which was going a bit over budget. I have Zilch confidence on the fancy gizmos which Mahindra offers in Vlx. The honchos at the top had very cleverly given the 4WD option in Vlx only to maximise the coffers of Mahindra. Wish it had come in lower trims. Will sell in good numbers.

Was never a fan of the Scorp but did give it a serious try. I must admit that its a pretty decent vehicle. Its a hoot to drive in the city with its short turning radius and torquey engine. Its the high speed ride which left many things to be desired. Infact had taken the Scorp on an open undulating highway right after a heavy meal. Felt like throwing up..!!
The middle row seat comfort also not upto the mark. The driver seat felt claustrophobic and never could become comfortable with the gear shift lever. I liked the looks but wifey could not imagine me getting down from the Scorp.
The Scorp was out of contention.

3. Safari 4WD

The Safari still rings a bell or two in my heart even today. The Safari adverisements are some of the best Ads I have ever seen. "Make your own road" and "Reclaim your life" campaign were simply brilliant. Alas if Tata's had paid more attention to ironing out the niggling troubles, that are present even till date, in the Safari, it would have been a fantastic product.
The ride quality of Safari was much better than Scorpio on all kinds of roads though the Mhawk felt a better performer in city. On highways it was a different story. Safari wins hands down. The front seats were decent. Wife loved the rear seat. Its almost like a Sofa. However after driving the Scorp the Safari felt like requiring a football feild to turn. In the engine refinement too the MHawk felt better.
The Safari EX 4WD was bang in the budget and with substantial discounts thrown in it was irresistible. However it lacked the two most important things i wanted in my next car ...Air Bags and ABS. The Safari Vx was touching 13+ with Air Bags and ABS.
Now i have read the complete thread on 2.2VTT dicor Safari isssues and very well knew that this vehicle was a toss of a coin. Still almost made up my mind to go for the 4WD Ex. 13+ for the Vx felt too much for the Safari.

The Eight Commandmets

I had almost decided to go for the Safari Ex when my inner voice stopped me. It said that you breaking the cardinal rules of your life which you had so painstkingly formulated
THOSE were

1. Always buy a product which is better engineered.
2. Always buy a product which is reliable.
3. Always buy a product which is of current times.
4. Always buy a product keeping in view the time you are going to keep it.
5. Always buy a product keeping in view your future requirement.
6. Always see the organisation first and then the product.
7. Always buy a product which is of lateset technology.
8. Always buy a product which offered the best service network.

Yes i know fullfilling the above requirements has its own resource limitations but i make compromises and try to stretch myself so that atleast 70% of above are met. Safari failed in many of the above requirements. Cheque books closed.

4-5 months passed by.

A shot of Vitamin M

April-May 2010

During these months 6th Pay commission for PSU employees arrived and since me and my wife both work at the same level we got healthy doses of Vitamin M. One day did a risk liabilty analysis and came to the conclusion that we an afford a vehicle which is in much higher segment than I was looking for.
My commndments were forcing me to look somewhere else. Took a "Unilateral" decision to up the budget to 20+. Unilateral means witout the consent of the home minister. Had some very tense moments with the minister. Buying a 20 lakh vehicle is generally considered criminal / madness in the middle class society we come from. The home minister was supported by the President and the PrimeMinister ( read parents).

"You have gone mad."
"20L buys a decent flat in Bhopal."
"You have no concern for your daughter's future."
"We will have to compromise on our living standards."
blah...
blah...
blah...
I had done my Maths and PATIENTLY replied to each of her arguments and allayed her fears but the dead lock continued.....

The new contenders

I was looking for a proper laddle on frame chasis SUV.So the the cute boys like Captiva, Outlander never came into contention.
Its a pity that after the top end Safari / Scorp you litrally have to double your budget if you are looking for a proper SUV. The market desperately needs SUV in 15-16 lakh bracket. Heck even in 20-25L bracket you actually don't have a choice.

Ford Endeavour

The Endeavour is a fine SUV with good amount of equipment level thrown in. But it just did'nt cut through my requirements.
1. NO manual transmission in 4x4.
2. Outdated leaf spring based suspension.
3. Been in the market for too long.
4. Bouncy middle row with unusable third row.
5. Required a playground for turning which makes it difficult to use in City drive as a daily vehicle.
6. Questionable maintenance record. (Forget Or Repair Daily always echoed in my mind)

Pajero Uncle

Anyone of my age ever dreamt of an SUV then PAJERO is THE vehicle which he would like to own. Its performance and reliability
under any terrain is legendary. Its ride quality was by far the best amongst the contenders. However it failed miserably against the light of my commandments
1. Underpowered engine. ( But OK can live with it. I don't burn rubber)
2. Outdated DI technolgy.
3. 15 year old platform
4. Poor dealership network
5. Mitsubishi as a company appears to have no future in India. They can't survive with such miniscule volumes of their cars.
6. Can't buy it for a 10 year perspective looking at Mitsubishi-HM condition.

Toyota Fortuner

The Fortuner had been launched for about a year and it was setting new records in setting the sales chart on fire. There was no TD vehicle at the dealership. Had to request an owner who had brought it for service for a small TD.
Already i was Smitten by the TForts looks and in 5 minutes i fell in love with how she drove. The torque delivery is phenomenal and it drives so effortlessly. Lets say that sometimes you get a feeling that THIS is the vehicle made for you. The Fort was just like that.
Ride quality was STIFF and the vehicle is huge but the ease with which i was able to handle the car was unbelieveable for me also.
As i said earlier Fortuner is a no other option type of vehicle. There is no other vehicle which comes near to itin 20-25L bracket.

It certainly sailed through my commandments.
1. Recently launched product.
2. Latest technology .
3. Legendary Toyota reliability
4. Toyota as a company have strong plans for India
5. Ever expanding dealer ship. They now have one in Leh too.
6. Good usable 3rd row for kids and smaller adults. Decent space in boot even after 3rd row.
7. Can be bought for a 10 year old perspective and still command a resale value.
8. Built like a Tank. The mechanicals looked so strong. Will withstand abuse.

It was just the pathetically sparse equipment level that was a mood downer in otherwise a superb package. But as i said earlier Beggars can't be choosers and no one understands this better than Toyota.! In one year of time the introductory price had risen very quietly by almost 1.2 lakhs.

Decision Time

I told my wife that i have decided on the Fortuner and the booking closes tomorrow. She said book it. No arguments nothing..I could'nt believe my ears. I knew she did not support my decision but still she had said yes for me and i thank her from the bottom of my heart...

Last edited by columbus : 24th July 2011 at 22:21.
columbus is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 22:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Congratulations Columbus. The most interesting introduction sentence of an ownership thread, great intro. !

All pics are great, especially the 04th and the last one truly depicts the character of The Fortuner - I mean a tiger in zoo and in the wild !

*I am not so good at words, hope you got the message I wanted to share

Wish you many happy miles, drive safe .
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 22:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Waw congrats mate. Wonderful start. Thus cometh the Maximus after the Admiral. General Guderian set quite some trends.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 23:10   #9
BHPian

Booking process and buying experience

There is only one dealer in Bhopal Rajpal Toyota. I had gone directly from my office to the showroom. Now I work in a factory and lets say sometimes i don'nt look presentable enough for a person interested in buying a 22L vehicle .
However on that day was looking decent enough.
Was made to wait a full ten minutes before the sales manager arrived. I said I am interested in the Fortuner and before i could finish he assigned a sales rep to me and went off to attend a more promising looking client of the T Fort.
After 15 minutes of sales rep. explaining more about Toyota quality than the vehicle i said i want to finish off with the booking process. It was only when the cheque book was out that i got the undivided attention of the sales manager. From then on whenever I went to the Showroom.. it was with Wrangler Jeans, Wills lifestyle Shirts, Weinbremer Shoes and of course the customory Rayban..!!! Marked difference in attention given. Morons... when will they learn to look beyond clothes .

Wanted a White but its delivery period was same as a human being. And then decided to book Black which had a waiting period of 6 months.
Gave the cheque of 1L for booking and the wait began. Meanwhile my GDW ( a term coined by bhpian Guderian) quit his job and i started having nightmares of cleaning a Black T fort. So after some countless hrs of discussions with people having black beauties ...decided to change the colour to Grey. So wanted a White , booked a Black and finally ended with mix of B&W .. Grey..!!
Was offered a Grey car in the 4th month from Indore dealership. I said I don't want any accessories on it. Sheepisly came the reply.." Saar usme to saari accessories lagi hui hain.". I said give it to someone else.. will wait for mine.

Got a call in November. Sir your vehicle is under despatch ..please get your loan formalities done. Took a loan of 12L from SBI and chipped in the rest.
The breakup of cost

Ex showroom price - 1983580
RTO - 143850
Insurance - 43029 (Inclusive of Zero depreceation. Had also
tranfered my City's 20% no claim bonus.)

Total - 2170459

Freebies

1. A Low frequency hand massager.
2. A High frequency hand massager.

For those driving the T Fort it should easy to guess the above freebies.

D'Day

22 Nov 2010 was the D'Day. Could'nt sleep a day or two before that. I had specfically told that i would like the vehicle to be ready before 1:00 PM and i would do my own PDI. Was assured that the vehicle will will be ready by 1:00 PM in the afternoon. As NOT expected the vehicle was only ready by 4 in the evening.

The First Sight..

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6731c.jpg

I had carried the team-bhp checlist for new cars and did make quite an impression on the showroom guys. 99.99% of the owners are just happy to take the keys of the car and drive away. They could'nt believe that the would be owner is doing his own PDI with a 100 point checklist. Even made them lift the car to check the underbody and any cuts on tyres.
Did not check JUST ONE thing and paid the price later.

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6732.jpg

The Puja performed and the keys rightly handed over to my wife without whom this would not have been possible.

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6735.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6736.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6742.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6748.jpg

Joy everywhere

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6738.jpg

Maximus comes home to a traditional welcome...

Name:  _MG_6750c.jpg
Views: 12749
Size:  264.6 KB

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th July 2011 at 21:06. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully, thanks
columbus is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 00:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for your Toyota Fortuner. You bought my favorite 20 lakh rupee SUV.

Please do update your thread regularly with service updates and pictures.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 00:25   #11
BHPian

All the Ts are the same

The first two days were horrible. The ride felt so STIFF. I had specifically asked the mechanic at the workshop that "did you check the air pressure in the tyres". He said he had "personally" reduced it to 30 in all tyres. I did the mistake of believing him.
After two days of driving a vehicle which felt like a bullock cart i checked the air pressure. It was 50 in all the tyres. Reduced the pr. to 30 and it was smiles again. This was the only thing from PDI list that i did not check personally at the workshop and it was 2 days of pain in the
A**. I muttered to myself " Tata or Toyota All the Ts are the same."
I wish i had'nt uttered that statement, for with every passing week it became truer and truer..!!

Its been 7 months with Maximus and he has logged till date 12000 kms and has been Leh'ed within 6 months of his arrival. The opinions mentioned below are purely based on my experiences with the Fort.

BTW Maximus in Ladakh will be a seperate section .

The Good

* If looks could kill then the Fortuner is reponsible for killing many. Every thing is so perfectly sized making it such a smart vehicle. Its still a head turner in Bhopal where there not many T Forts.

* Its litrally a Fort on wheels. The exteriors and the mechanicals scream only thing.. Battle Tank. Lift the bonnet and there won't be any doubt in your mind.

* Brilliant Engine. With 170 horses under the hood i have never felt short of power. Bring any ' La' and it makes light work of them.

* Zero Turbo Lag. The turbo kicks in at 1400 rpm but the delivery is so linear that only when the AC is on, a dicerning driver might feel it. Its just effortless to drive in the city.

* Kitna deti hai !! Well i say bahut saara deti hai..! The fuel economy is what floored me.
Usual city drive gets me 12 kmp l. Single lane Highway drives with speeds not exceeding 100 gets around 14 kmpl. Express ways drives with heavy right foot around 13.5 kmpl.
Expressways with sedate driving 80-90 kmph in 5th gear i got 15.2 on the Faridabad to Mathura stretch. And here is the big one .
Mandi (not Manali) to Leh in One tankfull with margin of 190 kms more..!!

* Turning radius is manageable. U turns which were not possible in Safari were doable in the Fort. In fact its pretty good. Recent U turns in Leh trip
were an eye opener on the T Forts ability to turn in tight spaces. Again that makes it a good city drive vehicle too.

* I love the precise steering. Its a huge vehicle yet i know where its going with every degree of turn of steering.

* Great highway mile cruncher.

* Fantastic badroader and equaly fantastic offroader. It can plough through some serious slush, can do dune bashing at some serious altitude.

* Very few blind spots. Visibility from the Drivers seat is superb thanks to all round glass house.

* The rear seats come real handy when guests come.

* Usable boot space even with 3 rows of seats. Have managed to put 4 small suitacases with a family trip with parents.

* Stadium light like High beam.

* Did ot feel any discomfort in shifting from a Sedan. It was let's say Natural.

The Bad

Most of the points written in this category were know before hand and hence no complaints
* Stiff urban ride quality. Shifting from a sedan like NHC the ride is on the firmer side.

* Body roll at lesser speeds.
Though the body roll is more controlled than most of the cars i TDed but
again moving up from a sedan you do feel the roll.

* Innovaish Interiors.
Wish they had done some work here to differentiate the guy from his sister.

*. ICE ICE Baby.
The head unit appears to come from 15 year old stable. No USB, No Aux in, NO Blue tooth ...nada ...nothing. My daughter was most dissapointed when she exclaimed "Papa ismein to remote bhi nahin hai" and i sighed even after spending a fortune you get to hear this. Come on Toyota we
deserve something better in this feild. Sound quality is not audiophile grade but decent. The good part is that speakers are fatigue free.

* High NVH levels. You will always be reminded that there is Diesel in the hood. No mistake about that. Oh and you get a low frequency massager (read gear stick) and a High frequency massager (4x4 transmission lever) absolutey FREE.

* The gear shift is so long that i think i can change my City's gears 2 times by the time i shift 1 gear in the Fort. The left elbow sometimes dashes against the arm rest when engaging 2nd and 4th gear. But atleast the slotting is fine.

* Mid row not as comfortable as the City.

* Brakes. Now the brakes have so far done the job for me. In hard breaking the ABS kicks in and there is no fish tailing of any sorts. However they lack that reassuring bite in them. Perhaps all round discs would have done a better job.

* If high beam is like stadium lights then the low beam is like "Diya tim tima raha hai."

The Ugly

Initial niggles and issues.

WHAT... Initial issues and niggles in a Toyota Fortuner...I must be stupid.! Read on..

My office starts at 7:00 AM in the morning and i am home by 6-7 in the evening. All saturdays are working and come quater endings i see myself there even on sundays too. I hardly have time to spend with my kid and wife, forget about giving time to the car.
I take good care of my cars infact maintain them as an extension of my own self. My expectations from a car are very clear. Don't show me the doors of ASC more than 2 times in a year. One routine service and one service with oil change every 10K kms. At any given day the Car should not blink an eye for a 2000Km road trip. This has been the case with the City for the last 7 years. She has visted the ASC not more 17-18 times in her entire 7 years despite being driven on all sort of roads in the country.
However Maximus has visited the ASC more than 10 times in a short span of 6 months.

From a cursory look the interiors appear to be build to last. However I am sorry to say that the interior fitting is PATHETIC.

1. Each and every AC insert in the dashboard rattles with a creaking noise. Yes i know Disels have higher vibrations when driven at lower RPMs but this appens even at 1400-1900 rpms when the engine is running super smooth. The nosie has mood of its own and comes anytime.
The noise is of two types.
a) the insert itself creaking. On closer look i can press the insert by about 1-2 mm at the lower left corner. Which means its not snugly fit.

b) The vanes in the center right AC vent resonate at certain frequencies which come from the engine bay and they will start making a Krrrrr sound.
Showed a) and b) at the ASC.The grease monkey gleefully said" Sahab dash kholna padega". I said leave it. sorted out b) by self by putting an empty bottle of Ambipure such that the bottle's snout engages 1 horizontal and 1 verical vane. This creates sort of additional clamping. Though the vanes do creak sometimes but the frequency has reduced substantially.

2. Another Krrrr sound from just above MID display. Highly irritating. Once returning at 2:00 clock in night from office, and this sound was repeatedly irritating me. It was more accentuated by the silence and the fact that i had a very hard day. Was not even in a mood to listen to music. Just wanted to feel the silence of night.
BANG gave my left fist on top of MID. VIOLA... problem sorted. No more Krrr Krrr.

3. Each of the rear seats repeat Each of the seats rattle. The ball catcher arrangement for the middle and rear seats is useless. After repeated visits and complaining to the ASC all the rear seats got Steel Grip tape treatment.

4. The front driver seat has a mind of its own. Whenever i adjust the backrest a rattling noise would come. This will go away only with repeated push and pull of the backrest after setting in the desired position. I fail to understand the rocket science in such a small mechanism which i have been successfully using since last 20 years in ther Jap cars.

5. The right side window has a timer of exactly 1 month after which it will start doing khachar...khach...khachar. This noise comes just near the right ear and is so irritating that you have to roll the window down or you just can't drive. Everytime the ASC guy would say "Sahab dust chali gayi hai..clean kar deta hun".
Now its not that i drive in plumes of dust. Its just slighty more than normal dusty area. The same area where my City has survived 7 years without any khach..khach.
After the Ladakh trip all the four windows were doing Khach...Khach. The total racket thrown by these 4 windows made driving very irritating.

I think an SUV is meant to go in a dusty area and there is some design issue either in the gaskets or the thickness of the glass. I don't know...

6. The wooden inserts on doors creak. They creak because they are not snugly fit. Try pressing the edge of insert which is on the door side. It goes down and up by plus minus 1 mm. That in my books is poor design.
This was not the case with my City. Each and every insert is rock solidly fixed.

7. Resting an elbow on the door trim might lead to permanent deformation. Its hollow inside and the plastic has no rigidity.

8. The reverse Parking sensor system failed twice. On the first time it was repaierd. On the second time the switch which is placed under the body was replaced. Had to pay a small price in the form of a dent in rear bumper because of malfunctioning parking sensor. More on this later.

9. The breakpedal makes a chin ..chin..chin sound,like a sparrow, everytime the vehicle goes over patchwork road with foot NOT pressing the break pedal. There is a pin with a round circular gasket with which the pedal is fixed. The gasket goes and creates some play which makes this noise. The gasket has been changed 2 times. But everytime its a Jugaad
type of arrangement which lasts for a month and this noise will creep up. The pin assembly is out of stock. Will get it changed at my next visit to ASC.

10. There is rattling noise from the roof. Its a type of Khat .. Khat which sometimes comes right above the drivers head. This happens very few times when vehicles goes over a rough patch or at slow speeds when crossing large ditches. But does not happen everytime.
I think the pipe for AC vent at middle row roof is not secured properly. ASC grease monley says.. " Sahab roof lining kholni padegi.." I said leave it ..will live with it.

11. Not at all satisfied with the Key fob plastic quality. It appears flimsy and i am sure it will break if the key falls down on a hard surface from height.

12. There is a croaking noise which comes from the driver side whenever the front right wheel goes in a ditch at speeds below 20 kmph. Its as if something is loose and moves when the wheel used to go in a ditch. This noise used to come earlier but after a very spirited drive to Jabalpur this noise vanished. When the noise used to come i had complete suspension checkup but could not diagnose anything. In fact the ASC said we can't hear it.
During the Ladakh trip this noise again started at around 12th day of the trip and was present through the rest of the trip. Back home its back to normal again. I no longer hear that noise. AAAAhhh...

13. During January one fine day at 7 in the morning the radio stopped working. No reception. Checked at 10 AM in the morning in ofice parking lot and it was working. Thought may be the signal was weak at home.
Next day same issue. No radio. Checked the unit of my City and it was giving a wonderfull reception. Third day same problem.
Now i was litrally mad. Again a visit to ASC. But the fourth day the problem vanished. What a sigh of relief. But i know it will come again for it happenned because there was some issue which will crop up again.

So if i set out to get all my Khach..Khach, Khat...Khat, Chin...Chin rectified at ASC then I am staring at open dashboard, open roof, open doors in a 6 month old vehicle. And with the kind of expertise these grease monkeys have i would rather live with these issues than handing over my car to them for a gueniea pig treatment.

Me thinks either the "Legendary" Toyota QC was sleeping when my car rolled out or these are generic design issues which all will face during sometime or the other. As i said earlier i regertted the statement i made that All the Ts are the same, for it was proving truer and truer every day. Man i feel like starting a thread "Post your Toyota Fortuner problems and issues here " just like the 2.2VTT and the MHawk thread.

Yes i am a bit finicky about my car. Both me and my brother maintain our cars as if they are an extensions of ourselves. They are cared just like any family memeber infact sometimes they get more attention from us. We hate when our cars squeak, rattle or have any other problem. Any issue and the next day it has to be attended at the ASC and we are not satisfied unless issue is sorted out however long it takes.
That is something which is in our genes. And these genes have come from our Father from whom we lear'nt the art of maintainig a vehicle.
For some people the issues written above might be trivial but not for me. A car is a materialistic thing but for many of us in this forum who "Live to Drive" it is something more. Its just that the initial issues which leaves a bitternes in some corner of your heart and takes out that joy of owning a new car and especially when you spend a fortune to own that car. But thats just me.....

Time for the report card

Maximus gets a 8/10 in my books.
2 marks for the those stunning macho looks.
2 marks for that brilliant turbo lag free Torquee engine.
2 marks for the fantastic fuel efficiency
2 marks for the external build quality, the mechanicals and a great 4x4 system.
It lost 1 mark for the issues mentioned above and lost 1 mark on the poor equipment levels provided.

After Ugly there is a Googly too

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th July 2011 at 21:09. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully, thanks
columbus is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 00:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Waw congrats mate. General Guderian set quite some trends.
Thanks parsh. The General Guderian is also very persuasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Congratulations Columbus.
All pics are great, especially the 04th and the last one truly depicts the character of The Fortuner - I mean a tiger in zoo and in the wild !
Thanks AvonA7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Wow!

What a start to the thread! The pleasure is ours, Gladiator!

Please update soon with the detailed drive reports.
Thanks crazy driver. Detailed drive reports are coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Columbus !
Finally doth thou arriveth !
Let me be the first to welcome Maximus and you here. And about time too.
What an entry. Fantastic snaps and I am all eyes.
Carry on Columbus.
General Saab. My salutes to you and greetings from Maximus to Admiral.
Your Togo Channel is the single most complete resource of the T Fort on web . Will share my experiences with ASC after being armed with deadly information from the Togo Channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
Congrats! on the Fort, wanted one went with the X1 instead.
How many km's done?
Thanks abishek. Till now clocked 12K kms. Review uploaded. And congratulations for the X1. Hope you are having all the Joys with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey thats a very promising start to a wonderful thread with lots of pics. Please use the assembly section and post the whole thing in a go.
Thanks drmohitg.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 01:24   #13
BHPian

Maximus knows that he is very photogenic and has an unsatiable lust to get photographed. I oblige him very regularly..

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6754.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6756.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6759a.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6767.jpg

A size comparison

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6753.jpg
columbus is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 01:42   #14
BHPian

very detailed and informative write up, especially loved the part where you have pointed out the squeels and rattles. This much of noticing need careful attention to detail and a keen eyes and ears. As you said, all T's are indeed same, they are built to last like battle tanks, they take abuse but still fire a 120mm shell and can send shivers down the spine. Happy miles. Looking forward to hearing more from you and regarding the solutions on these issues.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 05:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Columbus on the buy. May have to start looking for a replacement for the bolero in a year or two and this thread comes at a good time. Please take your car to the showroom and get the things fixed or else you better contact the customer service line of toyota. Am sure people on Tbhp would be able to help with that.

Hope you have many more vacations with your family in this tank and may this tank behave like a T90 instead of an arjun with russian spares.

One request. Can i have interior pictures? Is it beige or do we get an option of black in it? Big fan of black interiors but no idea why but indian market loves the beigge and fake wood and chrome!!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote