Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st November 2011, 01:44   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Yeti was fully loaded with people and luggage during these periods (5 Adults + 1 kid + 1 dog )
Since you had 5 adults, I presume the dog was in the boot, am I correct?

That said, how old was the child and where did he/she sit? What was the build of the adults sitting in the rear seat? How did the person sitting in the middle feel about leg room since he/she had to cope with that big hump on the floor as well?
Did you take any breaks or was it a non stop run to Bareilly?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:11   #152
BHPian

Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Since you had 5 adults, I presume the dog was in the boot, am I correct?

That said, how old was the child and where did he/she sit? What was the build of the adults sitting in the rear seat? How did the person sitting in the middle feel about leg room since he/she had to cope with that big hump on the floor as well?
Did you take any breaks or was it a non stop run to Bareilly?
Hi Devdath,

Yes, the dog (Golden Labrador , weighing around 37 kgs!) was in the boot and took up all the space in the boot). There is plenty of space for him to lie down comfortably and even stand up. There was around 8 inches of headroom over his head (he stands at around 26 inches tall at the head).
The three people in the rear were of moderate build. In fact for some journeys, there were also four adults in the rear (though it was uncomfortable, but we had no option) and my son (4 years) was in the boot with the dog. All the luggage was on the roof and only a few valuables were kept inside (cameras / laptops / purses etc!).
The hump in the middle is not really all the bad and it just takes few minutes to adjust to a split seating posture, and there is good enough space even for the middle passenger.

On the going journey (26th Nov, Diwali day), we left at 4:45 am from Gurgaon and there was no traffic on the highway, and we reached Bareilly in 5 hours driving time via NH24, (excluding 1 hour stopovers).

On our return journey, we left at 6:30 am from Bareilly and came across a 13 Km long traffic jam near Rampur (trucks had been stuck there since 8 PM previous night), so we took a detour through local villages (Dalpatpur). This is a 45 Km route to cover the 15Kms from the highway. These 45Kms took us nearly 3 hours (horrible roads!).
After that we met with Traffic jams at every conceivable point on NH24 - 2 Hours at Garhmukhteshwar, 2 Hours at Ghaziabad..!
All in all we reached Gurgaon at 8:00 pm. Total driving time around 12 Hours + 1.5 Hours rest break.

It really is becoming a very harrowing experience to drive on this stretch!
In fact during this Diwali period (25th-30th Nov) all people who went out station had a very tough time with traffic in North.

The Yeti braved the horrible traffic and bad road, but did get slightly damaged in this run - few scratches on the roof (luggage carrier had come off when it hit the barrier) and a broken indicator plastic on the left side ORVM (my mistake as I misjudged the space between the barriers on the bridge by 2-3 mm).

But one year down the line, I am still happy that I got the Yeti and because of its small size, it was able to get through that bridge (any other bigger SUV would have definitely not been able to make it).

Next year in June I am planning to take my Yeti to the ultimate adventure to Leh!

Regards,
Behemoth

PS: After this gruelling 600 Kms return journey, got a thorough interior cleaning job done (to remove all the dog hairs!) and external cleaning and waxing done to bring the Yeti back to its shining / clean self. Inspite of the bad roads which it has endured, there is also not a single squeak / creak anywhere (Touchwood!) in my 13,000 kms of usage so far.

Last edited by Behemoth : 1st November 2011 at 11:17.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:30   #153
Senior - BHPian

That was some trip. And fully packed too.
Great to hear that the Yeti is solid. With no squeaks at all. And that you plan to take it up to Leh sometime in the future. Wish you luck on that.
Btw how much did the full cleaning cost? Did you do it at Skoda,3M or somewhere else?

Last edited by mdsaab : 1st November 2011 at 12:31.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 16:03   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
That was some trip. And fully packed too.
Great to hear that the Yeti is solid. With no squeaks at all. And that you plan to take it up to Leh sometime in the future. Wish you luck on that.
Btw how much did the full cleaning cost? Did you do it at Skoda,3M or somewhere else?
Thanks MDSaab,
Yes, the Leh plan is definitely on and on the cards for Jun-Jul 2012. Only upgrade I am still looking for the Yeti is better tyres (more offroad capable tyres) as the current Goodyears are road tyres and will not be able to take the brunt of extreme terrain in Leh.
The full interior cleaning was done at TVS Carplus in Gurgaon and they cleaned all the leather seats, all carpets , roof and doors and vacuumed the car. It costed Rs 750 for the interiors. Also got the exteriors cleaned and waxed for Rs 350. Definitely worth it and saved me the trouble of cleaning it myself, which would have been impossible (there were thousands of dog hair everywhere!)

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 16:14   #155
Senior - BHPian

Behemoth, nice to hear that the Yeti is holding up well. Do you think you need to edit the thread title as it really doesn't give a clear picture at first glance as to who won the battle of the unequals

Btw, where exactly in Gurgaon is this TVS Carplus & do they know their job well?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 17:09   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Behemoth, nice to hear that the Yeti is holding up well. Do you think you need to edit the thread title as it really doesn't give a clear picture at first glance as to who won the battle of the unequals

Btw, where exactly in Gurgaon is this TVS Carplus & do they know their job well?
Thanks Suman!
So far the score is 9 for Yeti (1 point gained after AC upgrade!) and 6 for Civic! But the battle continues till the time we own both the cars and the war is not over yet! There is also a new contender to be introduced soon (XUV500) in Dec 2011.. not sure whether to start a new thread or add it to the existing war!

(TVS Carplus in Gurgaon is on the Sec-14 main road, near Samrat furnishing. They also have doorstep mobile van services and come to your place to do the cleaning - you can contact them at 0124-4266788. They did a good job on my Yeti and I can recommend them.)

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 1st November 2011, 22:38   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suman!
So far the score is 9 for Yeti (1 point gained after AC upgrade!) and 6 for Civic! But the battle continues till the time we own both the cars and the war is not over yet! There is also a new contender to be introduced soon (XUV500) in Dec 2011.. not sure whether to start a new thread or add it to the existing war!

Regards,
Behemoth
I suggest you open a new front "Battle of the Unequals (or near equals) ..."

I think XUV500 - Yeti comparison deserves its independent front, in which the Civic could have significant guest appearances. It should be a really interesting.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 14:59   #158
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

The Battle now moves to the next level with the entry of the XUV5OO in our family!
The new thread I have started for the comparison between the XUV and the Yeti is available on the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vs-xuv5oo.html

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 29th November 2011, 16:46   #159
Senior - BHPian

We recently test drove the Civic twice and was amazed at the quality and zero rattles and absence of any sort of noise inside the cabin. It was a TD Civic with close to 40K on the odometer. In contrast some of the other cars we drove had decent amount of rattle.

How's the Civic running now? Does constant under body scraping has done any harm to the underbody? Or is it just a small irritant that one can live with?
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 19:04   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
We recently test drove the Civic twice and was amazed at the quality and zero rattles and absence of any sort of noise inside the cabin. It was a TD Civic with close to 40K on the odometer. In contrast some of the other cars we drove had decent amount of rattle.

How's the Civic running now? Does constant under body scraping has done any harm to the underbody? Or is it just a small irritant that one can live with?
Yes the Civic beats all other cars in Cabin quietness and high speed ride. They are also built to last and rarely develop problems. Ours still is used by my wife for commuting to office. However due to fuel cost and low mileage, it is quite costly to run.
The low GC is certainly a problem, and we never take it out of station as the roads are not ideal and with a full load, the Civic will end up in a bad shape on those roads. The belly scraping is quite damaging to the underbody and can lead to rusting of the underbody. In our Civic even one of the side members has been dented due to a side scrape with a small divider!
Old 25th January 2012, 13:47   #161
BHPian

Guys , finally the time has come to say goodbye to our Civic! Wife is leaving the organization that she works for and joining a new organization. This being a company leased car, rather than paying the foreclosure value (which is around 7.5 Lacs) vs the market value offered by 2 assessors (5-6 Lacs, which seems crazily low for a 16000 km driven Automatic Civic), we are opting to transfer the lease to some other employee in the same organization where my wife was working.
To a car lover like me, it really seems unfair to have such a low value assigned to such a beautiful car! Anyway, I guess people give more weightage to running economy than driving performance now.

Now comes the million dollar question: What should we buy to replace the Civic! We loved the driving dynamics of the Civic but the auto gearbox and the low mileage were the only sore point.
Some of the contenders we have in mind are:
XUV500 (2nd one in our family, notwithstanding the crazy lucky draw process!)
Skoda Rapid (Diesel)
Ford Fiesta (New), Diesel
Skoda Laura (Diesel Auto)
Chevrolet Cruze (Diesel Auto)

Your comments/ suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th January 2012 at 13:48.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:02   #162
Senior - BHPian

Since she is used to auto, if you try and buy her anything other than that there may be domestic disturbances. Since you seem happy with your skoda dealer, my suggestion would be Laura diesel auto. If she wants a smaller car, then probably the Ford Fiesta or Skoda Rapid petrol auto.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 14:03   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now comes the million dollar question: What should we buy to replace the Civic! We loved the driving dynamics of the Civic but the auto gearbox and the low mileage were the only sore point.
Some of the contenders we have in mind are:
XUV500 (2nd one in our family, notwithstanding the crazy lucky draw process!)
Skoda Rapid (Diesel)
Ford Fiesta (New), Diesel
Skoda Laura (Diesel Auto)
Chevrolet Cruze (Diesel Auto)

Your comments/ suggestions are welcome!
Well, if you would like to stay in the same segment, I suggest the Laura DSG. But since you already have the Yeti and XUV, and if you want something smaller, the Rapid or the New Fiesta are indeed capable choices.

Alternate option: VW Jetta Comfortline/Highline.

Happy shopping!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:35   #164
Senior - BHPian

Would it not be better for you to pay that 7.5 lakhs and keep a known vehicle at home? Let me know if I got that to be paid amount wrong!
If you do want to switch over to a diesel, the Rapid and Fiesta are both fabulous cars in their own right. At the end of the day, its the feel that matters most to the driver. So perhaps you can shortlist a few and let your better half make the call? After all she is going to be driving around
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:50   #165
Senior - BHPian

If i was you i would have kept that car if you are happy with the ownership experience. Corporate lease always works against you if you wish to break the lease in between. Also its quiet a pain to find another colleague in the same company who could pick up the lease.

This is one reason i have stayed away from Corporate Lease for so long in spite of tax advantages that it offered.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote