Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th January 2012, 16:55   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Since she is used to auto, if you try and buy her anything other than that there may be domestic disturbances. Since you seem happy with your skoda dealer, my suggestion would be Laura diesel auto. If she wants a smaller car, then probably the Ford Fiesta or Skoda Rapid petrol auto.
Yes, that is vital for her and somehow even after 10 years of driving , she still has a phobia of car roll back on inclines and she prefers Automatics for this reason that they don't roll back! The other option is the Hill hold controls, which as of now is available on very few cars! (Our Yeti being one of them!)
I feel the Laura diesel with DSG will certainly be one of the top contenders. But the risk is of putting both the proverbial "eggs in the same basket" - Skoda in this case!
I also have a feeling that ultimately it will be a diesel car that will win, as her driving distance will also increase to 35 Kms oneside (compared to 11 Kms oneside currently) and we will need an economical car to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, if you would like to stay in the same segment, I suggest the Laura DSG. But since you already have the Yeti and XUV, and if you want something smaller, the Rapid or the New Fiesta are indeed capable choices.

Alternate option: VW Jetta Comfortline/Highline.

Happy shopping!
Thanks VB-San!
If you ask me, I would not have hesitated in getting her a Yeti (one for her, one for me!) but you know how the ladies of the house are and never want the same thing again! However, we gents are always happy with 2 of the same good thing!
Let's start the hunting process and see where it ends, but it surely is going to have to fill some very big boots that the Civic left behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Would it not be better for you to pay that 7.5 lakhs and keep a known vehicle at home? Let me know if I got that to be paid amount wrong!
If you do want to switch over to a diesel, the Rapid and Fiesta are both fabulous cars in their own right. At the end of the day, its the feel that matters most to the driver. So perhaps you can shortlist a few and let your better half make the call? After all she is going to be driving around
Agree, but given the increase in driving distance the fuel cost of the Civic would increase to 15K per month, which is plain outrageous in today's era! A modern diesel would manage the same distance in 4K!
We will give both the Rapid and Fiesta a fair chance and let her take the call, given that she will be doing the driving, unless she decides to hijack my Yeti and give me her car! Women are capable of anything and are very unpredictable - this is my realization after 10 years of marriage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
If i was you i would have kept that car if you are happy with the ownership experience. Corporate lease always works against you if you wish to break the lease in between. Also its quiet a pain to find another colleague in the same company who could pick up the lease.

This is one reason i have stayed away from Corporate Lease for so long in spite of tax advantages that it offered.
Yes, in this case the corporate lease agreement was particularly bad because the agreement was done at a time when interest rates were at an all time high - so the foreclosure value is quite high! Thankfully, in her current organization there are many fans of the Civic and people who have to drive short distances, so we should not have a problem in transferring it. In fact whoever takes it now, will effectively get it at 5.5 Lacs (considering the tax benefit of pre-tax deduction of EMIs for the company leased car.)

Anyway, we see it as an opportunity to buy a new car, which is always a good mission to be on, for a car-holic like me!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th January 2012 at 16:57.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:09   #167
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I also have a feeling that ultimately it will be a diesel car that will win, as her driving distance will also increase to 35 Kms oneside (compared to 11 Kms oneside currently) and we will need an economical car to own.

Agree, but given the increase in driving distance the fuel cost of the Civic would increase to 15K per month, which is plain outrageous in today's era! A modern diesel would manage the same distance in 4K!
Agreed sir. I didnt notice the daily clicks were increased. A diesel AT would mean its either the Fiesta or the Rapid. But I am being biased here because I like these cars! I still think as you already have 2 S/M UVs, you should go for a sedan.

Quote:
Women are capable of anything and are very unpredictable - this is my realization after 10 years of marriage!
It took you 10 years to confirm that? I knew that before getting married and still took the plunge
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 23:18   #168
BHPian

Quote:
We are also planning on taking the Yeti to Leh and taking it for some offroading. I have taken it on long drives and over bad terrain and the 4x4 system has managed well in mud and sand. Have not yet tried it in snow - probably will need the AT tyres before I try it on snow.
Hi,
Liked your thread. You are probably the only one here to own the Ambiente version of Yeti. I too plan to buy the Yeti Ambiente 4x4 version sometimes in a months time. You are important to me, because there is one main question I would like to request your comments on the 4x4 capabilities of this version, since it ostensibly doesn't have the Offroad Assistant switch.

Does it make a real difference? What was your experience during offroad travel. I suppose a 4x4 with a Haldex Clutch would mean transfet of 85% torque to the fourth tyre even if 3 tyres slip? Is this true for the Ambiente version, as is true for the Elegance version which has the offroad assistant?

I apologise if my question appears to be one from a novice. Just wanted to know from an owner who has real hands on experience. My object in asking you this is to decide whether spending about 1.5 lacs is justified. My only concern is performance on the 4x4 front , and not on any other bells and whistles.

Thanks in advance , cheers
R. Kotwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 08:53   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

@R. Kotwal : AFAIK no difference in in AWD drive capabilities in Ambiente or Elegance versions.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 10:54   #170
BHPian

Thank R.Kotwal! Yes, I have the Ambiente variant and am quite happy with it. For my needs the 4x4 system of the Yeti has coped well. So far I have gone to villages with mud and virtually no roads, and sandy terrain (off the roads in Rajasthan), cratered roads of UP with almost 9 inch deep potholes after every 20 ft. In these circumstances, it never got stuck or faced any problems, and did not even require any human intervention. However, this year I am planning to take it to Leh and then it will see some real challenges. The only problem I foresee is the tyres, which are basically onroad tyres and not suitable for offroading. I am planning to change them as soon as I get other options.
In terms of electronic hardware systems, the Elegance variant only adds an offroad button, which is a sofware tweak for improved response from the systems in more demanding situations, eg when in this mode, it will regulate the accelerator input, to prevent wheelspin in muddy conditions. Another addition is the downhill assistant, which applies the brakes automatically when going on a downhill. The uphill assist is available even in the Ambiente, which prevents the car from rolling back from a standstill when you move.
For our requirements, the Yeti fits our needs well, and is able to take us to almost any place, which a sedan never could and also at the same time is convenient and frugal and pleasant to drive as any diesel sedan.
If you are into hardcore offroading, you may need something like a Thar, MM540 or a Gypsy or better, a Gurkha! Very few people who buy today's expensive Suvs actually go offroading!
Even with the Ambiente, you will be able to do most of the daily demands for semi offroad use and only hardcore stuff like deep watervwading and mud plugging would best be left to the real offroaders!

All the best,
Behemoth

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th February 2012 at 21:23. Reason: Please avoid quoting long posts specially when its on same page, It causes incovenience to our mobile readers, Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 12:33   #171
BHPian

Thank you Behemoth for the very detailed reply. You have been absolutely outstanding with the explanation with regard to my query and more! This forum is so wonderful, and it lets you in on the experience of so many people like you who love cars and their capabilities. You are totally right when you say that not many people venture with expensive SUVs for what one might call a true blue offroading. Neither would I put my 15-20 lac segment SUV in a mud pool on a regular basis. I think I would be happy with a car that can manipulate moderate broken roads, jungle tracks, snow tracks, and muddy roads, the kind that one is expected to confront in a multi terrain place like Jammu and Kashmir. Supported by your explanation, so far I think I have made the right selection in choosing the yeti. I will go for it as soon as I sell off my Laura. Thanks again buddy.
BTW, you can pm me if there is anything I could possibly help you with in organising your Leh trip? Don't hesitate ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@R. Kotwal : AFAIK no difference in in AWD drive capabilities in Ambiente or Elegance versions.
Thanks Sudev.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th February 2012 at 21:24. Reason: Please avoid quoting long posts specially when its on same page, It causes incovenience to our mobile readers, Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 01:31   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kotwal View Post
My object in asking you this is to decide whether spending about 1.5 lacs is justified. My only concern is performance on the 4x4 front , and not on any other bells and whistles.
Dear Mr. Kotwal,

I had the same problem. I was totally in favour of the Ambiente till the last minute but then I am kind of tilting towards the Elegance as I am getting a great discount.

The discounts change each month and this month great value is being offered to me so I am going in for Elegance. This may change if I get an even better offer on the Ambiente.

I have listed the additional features of the Elegance over Ambiente and the file is enclosed. I feel that all these put together do create a value greater than 1.5 lakhs especially if you can get an Elegance in the budget of an Ambiente.

Also, since you are thinking of buying within the month, please get back to me with the best offer that you have and maybe I could get you a better deal.

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Exclusive features of Elegance variant of the Yeti.doc (24.5 KB, 207 views)
lapsi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 02:01   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
I feel that all these put together do create a value greater than 1.5 lakhs especially if you can get an Elegance in the budget of an Ambiente.Cheers!
Dear Lapsi, I really do appreciate your input, and let me tell you they reflect the exact situation I am in today! The way you put it , supported by the features that you have listed already, it sure makes a case in favour of the elegance version. Now the question is regarding the discounts offered. The dealer who I know personally, tells me that he might get me a 'loyalty discount', since I plan to swap my 2011 Laura for the upgrade. He has how ever made no mention of the other discounts available, so I will ask him that in my next meeting with him. I will get back to you with the best offer that I have, and thanks very much for offering to help out! take care
Cheers
Old 13th February 2012, 04:41   #174
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer who I know personally, tells me that he might get me a 'loyalty discount', since I plan to swap my 2011 Laura for the upgrade. He has how ever made no mention of the other discounts available, so I will ask him that in my next meeting with him. I will get back to you with the best offer that I have, and thanks very much for offering to help out! take care
Cheers
I will suggest that you make two independent deals, one for buying and another for selling, instead of doing both together. That way you will have clarity on which one makes more sense and you can take that only. And in any case, you should get the loyalty discount since you are a repeat customer.

No discount is all @#!!. There are great discounts on this car. The sales figure for December had jumped so January was a low discount month but the January sales slumped and hence the discounts are back again.
lapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 09:23   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Thanks Sudev! With your experience on offroading, you can guide Mr Kotwal well. In my view, I feel that in Kashmir, he should go for M+S tyres, which will allow him to drive in snow and ice.

Quote:
Thank you Behemoth for the very detailed reply. You have been absolutely outstanding with the explanation with regard to my query and more! This forum is so wonderful, and it lets you in on the experience of so many people like you who love cars and their capabilities. You are totally right when you say that not many people venture with expensive SUVs for what one might call a true blue offroading. Neither would I put my 15-20 lac segment SUV in a mud pool on a regular basis. I think I would be happy with a car that can manipulate moderate broken roads, jungle tracks, snow tracks, and muddy roads, the kind that one is expected to confront in a multi terrain place like Jammu and Kashmir. Supported by your explanation, so far I think I have made the right selection in choosing the yeti. I will go for it as soon as I sell off my Laura. Thanks again buddy.
BTW, you can pm me if there is anything I could possibly help you with in organising your Leh trip? Don't hesitate ok?
Thanks Mr Kotwal! The good thing about Team-Bhp is that all of us are very passionate about cars and we welcome the opportunity to share our knowledge on this forum. I also try to be very objective in my evaluation and frankly no car is perfect and it is always a relative assessment one can do, based on current/ past cars owned!

Thanks for your offer for help on the Leh trip, will surely get in touch with you when planning the details. Hopefully the return journey would be through Srinagar and if we get a chance, we can meet up.

All the best!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 13th February 2012, 15:13   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your offer for help on the Leh trip, will surely get in touch with you when planning the details. Hopefully the return journey would be through Srinagar and if we get a chance, we can meet up.
Always welcome, and though Jammu & Kashmir is my terrain, please note that I am stationed at Jammu.
regards
R. Kotwal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 19:50   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Hi Kotwal,
As a recent owner of a Yeti Elegance I would say just go for it. It ranks amongst the nicest cars I have driven, both in India and outside. It's a small and truly brilliant package for our conditions. Yes, it is true that some of the best things come in smaller packages! I absolutely enjoy every day in my Yeti. It is extremely capable and should be used like an ute should. Only then will one be able to enjoy its potential to the fullest.
Now that my vehicle is broken in, I have been happy to take it off the beaten track a bit, carry lots of stuff in it, including my pet dogs etc and take the maximum use out of it in this way. It is solid, tough and at the same time most comfortable indeed.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th February 2012 at 19:53.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 15:16   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi Kotwal,
As a recent owner of a Yeti Elegance.......... It is solid, tough and at the same time most comfortable indeed.
Hi Mr Balan, thanks for your impressions of the Yeti, and let me tell you I can understand how small packages are sometimes so good I guess its a blessing when a buyer clearly and totally understands what he wants, because most of the time the confusion is about what the 'heart' wants and the mind doesnt! In my case, as has been the story of my life, I always have believed in overkill, and always have kept capabilities handy for unforseen circumstances. For example, its like breaking in a fortified house for making an arrest armed with a primary weapon, and at the same time carrying a secondary firearm strapped to the leg just in case! The 4x4 requirement is just like that requirement of a secondary firearm in my case. I know well that I will probably not travel on such roads that require a 4x4 ( locking differentials and stuff) necessarily, but my mind would be much at ease if I have that secondary capability. Just so that when I am doing some of the rough road patches in my State with my friends or my family, ( and believe me there are some real rough ones that cover mountain ranges) I would'nt have to turn back and say- "Heck, I wish I had that locking differential"!!
I'm all for the Yeti, because I think its got a bit of everything in it, and you might hear me say that I bought it, one day soon- but who knows , it might be a Pajero! Damn!
Old 16th February 2012, 21:02   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I have always had some bug in the head for utility, go anywhere-ness, toughness, diesel power, space and size.

I got a Bolero and really used it solidly. Then I wanted better engine technology as well as all the above so I got a Scorpio and really used it well.

I evolved over time and started wanting comfort, functions, features, utility and safety - hence the Yeti.

Now I am all for these crossovers and smaller SUVs and if all goes well, I would look forward one day to own a Volvo XC60 or an Audi Q3 or a VW Tiguan or something of the kind. Possibly even the top spec 170BHP DSG Yeti L&K if it does come here. But all going well, I wont go for super sizes any more because they are a real pain in daily use conditions in our crowded cities.

Getting wiser as well as older I guess, so safety, security, luxury and comfort ride very high on the list and as of this moment, nothing fits my bill like the Yeti does.

Quote:
In my case, as has been the story of my life, I always have believed in overkill, and always have kept capabilities handy for unforseen circumstances.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th February 2012 at 21:03.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 23:06   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Just so that when I am doing some of the rough road patches in my State with my friends or my family, ( and believe me there are some real rough ones that cover mountain ranges) I would'nt have to turn back and say- "Heck, I wish I had that locking differential"!!
I'm all for the Yeti, because I think its got a bit of everything in it, and you might hear me say that I bought it, one day soon- but who knows , it might be a Pajero! Damn!
Yes, for certain really hardcore stuff like rocky terrain and deep water wading, a locking diff can become a necessity and J&K is actually where the real mettle of an SUV is tested! People like us may just take their Vehicles once in year, but if you have to contend with such situations on a daily basis, it really requires a full blown SUV.
However, I would not really recommend the Pajero , as it is extremely weak in the power front with the 2.5 Naturally aspirated engine, which will have a real tough time in higher altitudes. You can wait for the new Pajero Sport which is getting launched in mid-Mar, but would be in the price range of 23-27 Lacs. Alternatively, you have the Fortuner with a full fledged 4x4 manual transfer case which is a very capable vehicle and will serve you well in the most extreme environs.

Though I am deeply impressed with our Yeti, I feel that you will need a little more than the Yeti for the terrain that you have there!

(If I may ask - you have a 2011 Laura and you are now considering replacing it so soon..? Reason is that we are on the verge of replacing our Civic with a new Laura and would like to know your experiences!)

Do let us know which way you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have always had some bug in the head for utility, go anywhere-ness, toughness, diesel power, space and size.
Same here, and somehow the Yeti was just the right size for city use and anything bigger in the cities will be an unnecessary waste of space, fuel and sacrifice of driving comfort!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 16th February 2012 at 23:09.