Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th February 2012, 23:42   #181
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
However, I would not really recommend the Pajero , as it is extremely weak in the power front with the 2.5 Naturally aspirated engine, which will have a real tough time in higher altitudes
A little correction here- Pajero comes with a Turbocharged 2.8 engine making decent 292nm torque@ 2k rpm(BSIII). But it is weak, Mitsubishi has equipped it with very short gearing to compensate for lack of grunt at top end, it works to an extent in city, but on highways Pajero runs out of breath & FE takes a royal beating.

The superb Ride and Handling needs a mention here though, unmatched by pick up truck based competitors. Soon to be launched Pajero Sport is also a SUV made on half baked pick up truck platform, do not expect Pajero SFX like dynamics.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th February 2012 at 23:44.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 02:52   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

@Behemoth
Quote:
(If I may ask - you have a 2011 Laura and you are now considering replacing it so soon..? Reason is that we are on the verge of replacing our Civic with a new Laura and would like to know your experiences!)

The 2011 Laura is up for sale because my Safari is 4x2 and not 4x4! It so happens that life keeps throwing challenges, and the Project that I have currently before me requires me to frequent the not so beaten path, where the tarmac gives way to God's earth, and trails get covered with snow and ice! The Safari 4x2, though being an EXCELLENT all rounder with a `'never say die' attitude, was found wanting in some of these off road trails. Not the Safari's fault, but mine, for letting it attempt a terrain meant only for 4x4. So I knew that I needed a 4x4, and the search began. It had to be a 4x4 SUV, but that also meant that now I'd have to park 3 cars and 1 of the lady of the house! I don't need 3, so one has to go. The Laura goes, and gets me a larger part of the finances require to buy a new 4x4 SUV. But if I get a 4x4, I have then 2 SUV's! THats where the Yeti was supposed to come in with the crest of a SUV and mannerisms of a sedan. Yeah, I know its confusing!

The Laura experience in short
I had bought the Laura to serve as a competent highway cruiser and because it had great handling characterists, gets more glued to the road and the steering weighs up as the speed increases It had adequate safety features, a great FE, and was a good looking robust car. The engine is nearly silent, its got a nice lower end torque (that makes bumper to bumper driving a hoot).Acceleration though not phenomenal (as in the 140 bhp AT vestion), is enough to throw you back against the seat!
Its built like a tank, and nearly indestructable. I have it for 9 months now and have done about 7600 kms so far, and have had it checked and serviced about 5 times by the Skoda dealership, and thus far have not experienced any niggle or malfunction. So far all the check ups have been at the call of the Skoda dealer, and without any charge. My experience has been very good with this car, and if I had the need of 3 cars I would never have considered selling it.But as they say, 'se la vi', life is like that.
The After Sale Service is pretty decent, and I'm a pretty satisfied customer.

Go ahead and buy that Laura, you won't regret it!

Regards
R. Kotwal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 03:12   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have always had some bug in the head for utility, go anywhere-ness, toughness, diesel power, space and size.

Getting wiser as well as older I guess, so safety, security, luxury and comfort ride very high on the list and as of this moment, nothing fits my bill like the Yeti does.
Yes it is all about fitting in the bill, isn't it? Its a nice way to describe that little boy inside who urges us on to go ahead and get the latest gizmo on the shelf
OH whats wrong with the 4x2, I often say to myself! How come I never felt the need earlier. I remember using 4x2 with snow chains going up the 4 feet snow covered narrrow roads to Gulmarg, going to Leh, and Nobra Valley, going throug the treacherous roads to Kishtwar and Doda, Poonch and Rajouri, why, we made through all in one piece

@.anshuman
Thanks for the inputs. So if the Pajero SFX is Turbocharged, does it infer that the engine is no more Naturally Aspirated?
R. Kotwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 08:35   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A little correction here- Pajero comes with a Turbocharged 2.8 engine making decent 292nm torque@ 2k rpm(BSIII). But it is weak, Mitsubishi has equipped it with very short gearing to compensate for lack of grunt at top end, it works to an extent in city, but on highways Pajero runs out of breath & FE takes a royal beating.

The superb Ride and Handling needs a mention here though, unmatched by pick up truck based competitors. Soon to be launched Pajero Sport is also a SUV made on half baked pick up truck platform, do not expect Pajero SFX like dynamics.
Thanks Anshuman! Guess they must have changed over to this newer engine when they launched the BSIII version.
Overall the Pajero SFX is a brilliant SUV with very good handling and offroad characteristics, but needs a better engine!

Anshuman, any chance that we can get a review of the Pajero Sport soon on TBHP. Is The launch is expected around Mar first week?

An update from our side on the Civic. It is now transferred to someone else within the same company where my wife was working and we have booked a new Laura Ambiente MT in Rosso Brunello colour!

So now the "Battle of the Unequals" will become a "Sibling Rivalry" and will put two challengers with same underpinnings against each other!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 11:05   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Anshuman! Guess they must have changed over to this newer engine when they launched the BSIII version.
Overall the Pajero SFX is a brilliant SUV with very good handling and offroad characteristics, but needs a better engine!
Pajero always had this engine here, only for the BSIV version they detuned it to meet the new emission laws. To me Pajero is a classic, the only fly in the ointment is the vintage engine(atleast in the company of Fortuner/Endeavour).

Quote:
Anshuman, any chance that we can get a review of the Pajero Sport soon on TBHP. Is The launch is expected around Mar first week?
This was the last update i saw on this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2618044 Because they said first quarter, we should start expecting it soon. Not sure about the official review.

Quote:
An update from our side on the Civic. It is now transferred to someone else within the same company where my wife was working and we have booked a new Laura Ambiente MT in Rosso Brunello colour!

So now the "Battle of the Unequals" will become a "Sibling Rivalry" and will put two challengers with same underpinnings against each other!
MT then why not VW Jetta? My personal recommendation is Laura Ambition DSG or Jetta MT.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 13:34   #186
BHPian

Quote:
MT then why not VW Jetta? My personal recommendation is Laura Ambition DSG or Jetta MT.
Well, wife is OK with MT too for 7 years and only in the past 3 years was she driving an AT. She is perfectly comfortable with an MT and ultimately due to a price diff of almost 1.5, we went with the MT instead. The Laura AT would have been ideal, but MT will also suit our purpose well.

We did see the Jetta, but found the styling a little bland (the new one) and we felt that it better to go with a Known Devil (Skoda) than an unknown one(VW)!

The other turning point was the colour choice, as she did not like any of the colours of the Jetta and we were both convinced very quickly with the Beautiful Rosso Brunello, which has just been released on the Laura in all variants and earlier was available only on the Superb. This kind of sealed the deal for us.

Next landed cost to us is 15L on road with leather seats (addon). The current offer we got is Skoda shield free (~65k) + Corp disc (17.5K) and discount on leather seats.

(Once we receive the delivery, will request you to change the thread title to:
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs Honda Civic(Now Sold) vs Skoda Laura - Sibling rivalry!
Or
do you suggest I start a new thread with our ownership experience for the Laura and this thread can be closed)

How is your Laura doing, been a long time since you updated your thread!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 17th February 2012, 13:39   #187
Team-BHP Support

^^ That'd be the first three-way ownership review on T-BHP!

Congrats on the new purchase- by teh way, you DO know that the Laura MT only delivers 110 BHP compared to the 140 of the Laura DSG and the Jetta MT right? I figure that's the reason Anshuman asked why not Jetta.
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 14:07   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, wife is OK with MT too for 7 years and only in the past 3 years was she driving an AT. She is perfectly comfortable with an MT and ultimately due to a price diff of almost 1.5, we went with the MT instead. The Laura AT would have been ideal, but MT will also suit our purpose well.

We did see the Jetta, but found the styling a little bland (the new one) and we felt that it better to go with a Known Devil (Skoda) than an unknown one(VW)!

The other turning point was the colour choice, as she did not like any of the colours of the Jetta and we were both convinced very quickly with the Beautiful Rosso Brunello, which has just been released on the Laura in all variants and earlier was available only on the Superb. This kind of sealed the deal for us.
This is how your Garage will look like(just the colors are different)
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-dsc_4867r.jpg
Had Yeti at home this whole week.

Some more points to convince you against Laura MT-
  1. Laura is at the end of its lifecycle, the new Octavia is expected sometime next year. Jetta in comparison is newer product at the early stage of lifecycle.
  2. Jetta MT comes with 140hp state of tune, Laura MT gets 110hp tune.
  3. Laura's styling cues, feel, shared parts etc feel too similar to Yeti, so while you maybe buying a new car but it's not very different from your existing Yeti.
  4. Both the eggs in same basket.
  5. If you must buy a Laura, go in for DSG. Its not the AT or MT thing, DSG is out of this world, it's worth every penny extra spent over MT variant, also with DSG you get 140hp engine tune, FE is similar. If your wife wants a MT, you can keep swapping the cars.

Yes, Laura is a better driver's car than Jetta with shorter wheelbase, stiffer suspension, slightly more responsive tune(DSG vs DSG) and a feelsome steering but for base MT Jetta remains my choice(DSG is only available relatively under equipped Highline).

Quote:
Next landed cost to us is 15L on road with leather seats (addon). The current offer we got is Skoda shield free (~65k) + Corp disc (17.5K) and discount on leather seats.
Genuine Leather Seats or ART leather covers??

Quote:
(Once we receive the delivery, will request you to change the thread title to:
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs Honda Civic(Now Sold) vs Skoda Laura - Sibling rivalry!
Or
do you suggest I start a new thread with our ownership experience for the Laura and this thread can be closed)
A separate thread for new car would be better, comparisons can continue in this thread.

Quote:
How is your Laura doing, been a long time since you updated your thread!
Laura is doing well, crossed 25k mark this week, did another 1000+ kms highway trip on a single tank. I do not have anything significant to update in the thread, i do not want to bore you guys with FE updates every week. Wanted to update with fresh pics but did not get an opportunity for photo-shoot.
Old 17th February 2012, 14:09   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ That'd be the first three-way ownership review on T-BHP!

Congrats on the new purchase- by teh way, you DO know that the Laura MT only delivers 110 BHP compared to the 140 of the Laura DSG and the Jetta MT right? I figure that's the reason Anshuman asked why not Jetta.
Thanks Noopster!

Secretly I am happy with her going for a lower powered version, because the way she drives (very fast most of the time!), even I get butterflies in my stomach!
Maybe we should start inducting our wives into team-bhp and take a mass training on safe driving for them!

Quote:
This is how your Garage will look like(just the colors are different)

Genuine Leather Seats or ART leather covers??

separate thread for new car would be better, comparisons can continue in this thread.
Thanks Ansuman! Only we don't have so much parking space inside and my Yeti will now be on the road and the Laura will be inside!

Genuine full leather seats from Stanley (both front and back full leather).

Sure, will start a new thread as soon as the "Ruby Raptor" comes home - expecting delivery on 25th/ 26th Feb.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th February 2012 at 14:16.
Old 17th February 2012, 15:09   #190
Team-BHP Support

^^ Remember to take the T-BHP PDI list with you. Check VIN before you take delivery.
Old 17th February 2012, 15:32   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I missed a bit of the discussion here. Wow, so the Laura in the mix now! Congratulations

As Anshuman mentioned, the Jetta MT would have been nicer with the 140bhp tune, but there is something so appealing about the Laura. Even after so many years in the market, it still manage to look very elegant, and will be even better in your choice of colour. What colour for the Stanley seats?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 17:53   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Behemoth
Another Skoda! There will be many on this forum who will agree that you be given bravery award for this. On a serious note, the Laura is a terrific allrounder. I am surprised that you have not opted to go for the DSG. With the Jetta MT producing 140 hp and the cruze MT producing 150 hp, the Laura MT's 110 hp sounds ancient. Within the city the Hp disadvantage will not matter much. I am quicker in my Santro than my TSI when I am driving within the city . From what I've heard the Laura MT has got terrific driveability and is also a mileage champ.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 10:20   #193
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
After an almost 5 1/2 Year love relationship with my Black Behemoth, we are considering selling it now! It is a Dec 2010 model and has been lovingly maintained and driven single handedly by me over the entire period. It is in great condition (barring some minor nicks and bruises from Kids Bicycles who keep on hitting it in parked condition)! It is a 2.0 L TDI Ambiente 4x4 with Leather seats (this is a Higher variant from the current Ambition level). I would welcome BHPIans in Gurgaon to PM me if they are interested! My target selling price is 7.5 Lacs.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 7th September 2016, 10:05   #194
BHPian

Hi everyone, here's the link to my Ad on Team BHP Classifieds for my Yeti, people who are interested may get in touch with me through my details there!
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...oda/Yeti.html/