Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 09:14   #46
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Re clutch and stalls. Having driven Yeti over last five weekends at the Yeti road show, and numerous stalls when I first slip in behind wheels every Saturday, all I can say is that I think the flywheel is really light. So you have to slip in the clutch a bit more slowly than you would with other cars. However once let out the car will happily trundle along at idle in first gear even up slight inclines. Lighter flywheel also translates in to responsive engine.

Nice comparison.
I faced the same situation when Yeti came home December last year. Alerted by TeamBHP review, I didn't stall her during TD. But the when she came home, she'd surprise me every now and then by stalling at most embarrassing moment, in tricky traffic situations. I learned her ways in a couple of days.

We - Yeti and I - have been happy partners for the past 7 months.

I still manage to stall her, particularly, if I've been driving around the Jazz for sometime and then occupy Yeti's seat. On the other hand when I switch to Jazz after several days in Yeti, the first couple of times I invariably over-rev the Jazz.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 09:31   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,408 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Alerted by TeamBHP review...
And similar experience here too !
'Warned' by TBHP and wanting to be on my best behaviour and to be looking worthy of possessing a Yeti, in the eyes of the demo car driver (who knows he could have gone back and pronounced his verdict - "Usko dene ka nahin. Chalana nahin ata - apna brand ka naam kharab ho jayega !") I drove very carefully and it didn't stall even once on the first test drive.
And to make up for it - it stalled a million times on the second test drive - and enough times for the driver to as me as to what I was then driving. When I mentioned that it was a Scorpio CRDe - he let out a quiet sigh.

Coming to think of it - no wonder they weren't very enthusiastic in wanting to sell the Yeti to me. An experience described in the first page of my thread on Admiral Togo...
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 09:50   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

i think the way Skoda's clutches operate is the cause for all this Stalling.
I have heard of folks stalling the Superb too.
Is it only limited to the diesel vehicles or do the petrol ones stall too?
some light please
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 09:54   #49
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 980
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I faced the same situation when Yeti came home December last year. Alerted by TeamBHP review, I didn't stall her during TD. But the when she came home, she'd surprise me every now and then by stalling at most embarrassing moment, in tricky traffic situations. I learned her ways in a couple of days.
We - Yeti and I - have been happy partners for the past 7 months.
I still manage to stall her, particularly, if I've been driving around the Jazz for sometime and then occupy Yeti's seat. On the other hand when I switch to Jazz after several days in Yeti, the first couple of times I invariably over-rev the Jazz.
It took us quite some time to get used to. I used to think that I knew how to drive a diesel car - I had drive the Ford Fiesta Diesel for 5 years, but the Yeti told me otherwise! I had to unlearn and relearn driving again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And similar experience here too !
'Warned' by TBHP and wanting to be on my best behaviour and to be looking worthy of possessing a Yeti, in the eyes of the demo car driver (who knows he could have gone back and pronounced his verdict - "Usko dene ka nahin. Chalana nahin ata - apna brand ka naam kharab ho jayega !") I drove very carefully and it didn't stall even once on the first test drive.
And to make up for it - it stalled a million times on the second test drive - and enough times for the driver to as me as to what I was then driving. When I mentioned that it was a Scorpio CRDe - he let out a quiet sigh.
Coming to think of it - no wonder they weren't very enthusiastic in wanting to sell the Yeti to me. An experience described in the first page of my thread on Admiral Togo...
Now that's a new one! I can imagine Toyota doing a preselection of drivers and then selling cars (with the kind of demand they have!) but for Skoda I am not too sure! I believe Land rover does this kind of pre-screening and also a 7 days training is taken for teaching people on how to drive the Land rovers , especially off-road. Wonder it Tatas would start something like that in India!

mdsaab: Maybe I can shed a little light on this aspect! In the pics attached (source: Autos.cz) you can see the power & torque curves for the Yeti (103 Kw = 140 PS) and the 1.8 TSI (petrol engine). You will notice that the toque graph from the diesel starts off at 1200 rpm , with a torque of 175 Nm, while for the 1.8 TSI petrol, it starts off 170 Nm at 1000 rpm. Typically below these rpms, the torque curve can be extrapolated. So as an estimate, the diesel torque would be around 130 Nm at 800 rpm, while the petrol would be at least 140 Nm. Now you compare this torque with the weight of the car and also factor in the size of the wheels (generally, but is also dependent on the gear ratios of the gearbox). You will find that the available torque in the diesel is less at lower rpms to move the wheels, hence the stalling issue. In petrol versions, say Laura, the available torque is much higher and wheels are also smaller. The 1.8 TSI engine is an absolute blast and it is one of the best driver's cars - only flipside is it drinks tons of petrol!
Attached Thumbnails
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-yeti-torque-curve.jpg  

Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-petrol-torque-curve.jpg  


Last edited by Behemoth : 5th August 2011 at 10:09. Reason: Added content
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 10:02   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,769
Thanked: 3,377 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Nice Comparo Behemoth; Stalling was one of the main issues for me as a driver that keeps me away from Skoda. When I test drove the Skoda Laura, I prided myself as being the best in the business (a driver i.e. lolz...) but when that thing repeatedly stalled at me, it completely blew my brains. How can a company like Skoda not correct this situation even after repeated revamps of their engines, is still a mystery to me

Last edited by dkaile : 5th August 2011 at 10:04.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 10:45   #51
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 696
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Great comparo. Now can someone do the exact opposite; Honda CRV v/s Skoda Laura.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 12:30   #52
BHPian
 
crackingride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Stalling was one of the main issues for me as a driver that keeps me away from Skoda. ...
How can a company like Skoda not correct this situation even after repeated revamps of their engines, is still a mystery to me
Not sure if Skoda is the sole party which needs to "correct" here! There is a component of driver behaviour involved as well, I would think.

I have not yet stalled the Yeti in my multiple test drives for the sole reason that I already start my current car with clutch and brake depressed, I already use engine braking via downshifts to slow down, and I already shift into first when negotiating speedbreakers in Bangalore, having found that second involves too much clutch riding while trying to prevent ramming into crawling traffic up front. It just feels natural to me to do this, and my current car is no worse for the wear as a result.

Translating the same behaviour to the Yeti was the easiest thing in the world.. The only issue I face is remembering the washer/indicator stalks are swapped from my current set-up. And the too-closely-spaced gears on the stick.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 13:54   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,709
Thanked: 2,464 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Not sure if Skoda is the sole party which needs to "correct" here! There is a component of driver behaviour involved as well, I would think.

I have not yet stalled the Yeti in my multiple test drives for the sole reason that I already start my current car with clutch and brake depressed, I already use engine braking via downshifts to slow down, and I already shift into first when negotiating speedbreakers in Bangalore, having found that second involves too much clutch riding while trying to prevent ramming into crawling traffic up front. It just feels natural to me to do this, and my current car is no worse for the wear as a result.

Translating the same behaviour to the Yeti was the easiest thing in the world.. The only issue I face is remembering the washer/indicator stalks are swapped from my current set-up. And the too-closely-spaced gears on the stick.
The clutch on my Laura TSI also required some getting used to and I did stall it a few times during the first few days of owning the car. The clutch release ratio to get going is quite less compared to other cars. I generally pride myself on my driving skills and it used to be quite embarassing in front of my family members whenever I stalled the car. One problem (if I can call it that) was that the engine is so silent, that the driver cannot feed off from the engine sound to realise that the rpm is dropping and is calling for driver's input with the clutch. After the initial few days I haven't stalled it even once and find the Laura's clutch quite traffic friendly. The clutch itself is very smooth and light and easy to operate. I too prefer to shift to first while negotiating tall humps as I hate riding the clutch.

The effect of having gotten used to the Laura's clutch : Over revving while take off when driving any other car.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 5th August 2011 at 13:55.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 09:31   #54
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 980
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The clutch on my Laura TSI also required some getting used to and I did stall it a few times during the first few days of owning the car. The clutch release ratio to get going is quite less compared to other cars. I generally pride myself on my driving skills and it used to be quite embarassing in front of my family members whenever I stalled the car. One problem (if I can call it that) was that the engine is so silent, that the driver cannot feed off from the engine sound to realise that the rpm is dropping and is calling for driver's input with the clutch. After the initial few days I haven't stalled it even once and find the Laura's clutch quite traffic friendly. The clutch itself is very smooth and light and easy to operate. I too prefer to shift to first while negotiating tall humps as I hate riding the clutch.

The effect of having gotten used to the Laura's clutch : Over revving while take off when driving any other car.
The 1.8Tsi is an absolute cracker of an engine, and It has excellent torque and power I had shared the graph a few posts back to show the difference in the torque characteristics of petrol vs. Diesel.
Cars like the 1.8Tsi are real enthusiastcars! The only flipside is that even die hard fans like me are shifting over to diesel to save on running costs! But the benefit is that diesel technology is also advancing and we are now starting to get comparable power with good FE.
Drive safe and enjoy!
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 09:55   #55
BHPian
 
Raosaheb Desai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surat
Posts: 197
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Dear Behemoth,
Very well written comparo. I liked the Yeti for its practicality. At this price if Skoda managed DSG it would have been great hit.
I had a short drive in my friend's Yeti and its hoot to drive with superb handling.
Its perfect car for India's path-holed roads. Only wish to have auto-box for our urban traffic.
Wish you many happy miles ahead.
Raosaheb Desai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 18:14   #56
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 980
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Thanks Raosaheb, Dkaile and Live to Jive for your appreciation!

Many of you wished to see both our Steed (Civic) and the Monster (Yeti) together.. so your wish is fulfilled! Attaching a few snaps of both together. This will give an idea of their relative sizes and proportions.

Drive safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-dsc_0071.jpg  

Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-dsc_0072.jpg  

Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-dsc_0073.jpg  


Last edited by Behemoth : 7th August 2011 at 18:17.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 18:35   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,408 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Attaching a few snaps of both together.
Hi Behemoth,
Would kill for that beautiful, black Yeti.
You have been warned.

PS: Can you do something for/about that plastic bumper and the cladding below the doors - before I do that ?!!

Last edited by Guderian : 7th August 2011 at 18:37.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 18:51   #58
BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 980
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Behemoth,
Would kill for that beautiful, black Yeti.
You have been warned.

PS: Can you do something for/about that plastic bumper and the cladding below the doors - before I do that ?!!
Same here .. would kill for that Beautiful silver Fortuner of yours!! But before we initiate World war 3, let us just come to an amicable truce and share the spoils!
Anyway, I with my barbaric and primeval weapons and armour would be no match for the modern General's battleship and ammo!.

The cladding ..hmmm Brilliant question my dear Watson.. most elementary indeed! Except I am no Sherlock and don't know the solution! Every time I get a car treatment done, they shine the bumpers and cladding with a nice bumper polish. It lasts all but 15 days, after which it is back to square one.
I am thinking why not get a permanent lacquer paint job done on the bumper?
Other option is to leave the battle scars alone and enjoy the natural "unkempt" look. After all, every day in the life of the Yeti in Gurgaon, is an offroad challenge!
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 19:48   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,670
Thanked: 8,681 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The 1.8 TSI engine is an absolute blast and it is one of the best driveIn petrol versions, say Laura, the available torque is much higher and wheels are also smaller
Not sure about the Petrol version but the Laura TDI comes with considerably taller gearing compared to the Yeti. Both TDI and TSI MT(Laura, Yeti, Jetta, Passat...) cars have the stalling issue, it takes some getting used to as these cars are not as forgiving when you try to release the clutch with zero/ very little accelerator input. I believe it's the clutch's calibration that is responsible for this.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 20:15   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

The Yeti has some serious presence. Seems to dwarf the Civic.
I had read somewhere i think in ACI.
Their opinion was that Skoda should have had the cladding painted in the body colour.
Though it looks nice this way too.
It was perceived that many folks think of non-painted bumper models as base ones.
But this is not the case in the Yeti.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battle of the X-Breeds : SKoda Yeti Vs Mahindra XUV5OO Behemoth Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 123 7th September 2016 10:07
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12
Honda City Vs Honda Civic E Vs Honda Civic V (pre-owned) drkunaldas Sedans 4 31st October 2010 18:07
Lateral Movement - Skoda Octavia to Honda Civic? EDIT : Bought Civic! Jay5150 Sedans 44 19th August 2009 06:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks