Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 20:26   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 555
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
My friend , what fit and finish !!!!!! Total drool worthy pictures . Darn, change to stanley is added to my mission of changing tyres
I think some of you must take a look at the black leather that anilkalvani has got on his Vento AT, in case you don't like beige. Not sure how to post thread link from iPad.
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 20:38   #62
BHPian
 
plain.vanilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Palakkad KL-9
Posts: 52
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I have 3M tints on my car with 20% visibility.
Doesn't that pose a problem during night time driving, specially with the windshield?
plain.vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 21:05   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Nope, I dont have any film on my windshield, will never go for one either. Only on the side windows and rear. I would have ideally liked atleast 30% visibility film but then it wasnt available when I was shopping around. Settled for 20% and I dont have any issues with the visibility at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain.vanilla View Post
Doesn't that pose a problem during night time driving, specially with the windshield?
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 02:48   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 427 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Nope, I dont have any film on my windshield, will never go for one either. Only on the side windows and rear. I would have ideally liked atleast 30% visibility film but then it wasnt available when I was shopping around. Settled for 20% and I dont have any issues with the visibility at night.
I use the ORVMs a lot so I settled for more transparency on the sides .

As per Indian motor vehicle rules, a car's windscreen and rear glass should have 70 per cent transparency , whereas the window panes should have 50 per cent light reflectance max.Wouldn't your tints cause any problem in Chennai ?
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 14:49   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

I would have ideally preferred 30-40% but then I didnt have an option when I was shopping around. I use the ORVMs all the times too and there are no issues due to this

It is definitely not as per the regulations in CMVR, but since chennai is hot pretty much through out the year, most cars use dark tints. I have never seen any vehicle being fined for using dark tints here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I use the ORVMs a lot so I settled for more transparency on the sides .

As per Indian motor vehicle rules, a car's windscreen and rear glass should have 70 per cent transparency , whereas the window panes should have 50 per cent light reflectance max.Wouldn't your tints cause any problem in Chennai ?
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 15:36   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 215 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Thank you plain.vanilla. I have 3M tints on my car with 20% visibility. Works pretty well IMO.

Actually, I need to give credit to the member classic86 for this design in stanley. The only difference between his and mine is that, my seats are a shade darker in colour matching with the beige on the door pad. Take a look at the following thread for much better pictures of the same design.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-highline.html (My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline)

Following is the cost break-up

Seats - 31.5k
Steering Grip - 2.5k
Labour - 2k
Where did you do this job? is it from the VW dealer itself or any outside people?
Heard, Stanley, kathar Nawaz Khan road Boutique is closed before some months.
what is the quality of the Leather used?
Seems the price is increasing alot. i have enquired before some 6 months for my Linea and the price quoted for me is 27K with Door trims in satin (.9 mm) leather.
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 19:53   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

I did this through Jewajee car decors in annanagar. Yes, the stanley boutique is closed now and they dont undertake any orders directly. Apart from Jewajee, Haute car zone is the other dealer for stanley and their prices were atleast 5k more than what I got in Jewajee.

Quality of leather is satin - full leather. In the same grade touch leather was quoted around 25k for me. They have another grade of leather called classic, which is less than satin in terms of thickness and little less in terms of price.

But yes, prices have definitely gone up. When i originally enquired I was quoted 30k for the seats and by the time I decided to go for it, it shot up by 1.5K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Where did you do this job? is it from the VW dealer itself or any outside people?
Heard, Stanley, kathar Nawaz Khan road Boutique is closed before some months.
what is the quality of the Leather used?
Seems the price is increasing alot. i have enquired before some 6 months for my Linea and the price quoted for me is 27K with Door trims in satin (.9 mm) leather.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 23:48   #68
BHPian
 
bharatbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 374
Thanked: 108 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
As promised some pictures of stanley leather seats and the steering grip.
Since you have changed from fabric to leather seats, have you noticed any difference in temperature while sitting on the leather seats?

I have notcied that leather seats retain more heat then regular fabric seats, which means you need to use the A/C continiously.

I have Stanley Classic leather in my car.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 13:00   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Absolutely, no second thoughts about leather retaining more heat than fabric, But its not an issue for me since I always drive with A/C on. I have a closed parking at home and hence that is also an non-issue.

Small trade-off in my case for the other positives of leather over fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Since you have changed from fabric to leather seats, have you noticed any difference in temperature while sitting on the leather seats?

I have notcied that leather seats retain more heat then regular fabric seats, which means you need to use the A/C continiously.

I have Stanley Classic leather in my car.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 20:09   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Did a couple of highway runs over the past week as a result of which the ODO shows 3000 kms up now. This car is a dream to drive on the highways and my comfortable cruising speed has gone upto 100 kmph with this car. It used to be 80 kmph with my scorp and swift earlier. It feels very relaxed and composed at this range and I'm anyways not too comfortable pushing anything over 120 kmph. I got an FE of 23.1 kmpl on the MID with average speed between 70-80 kmph and 21.1 kmpl during the return trip with speed range of 90-100 kmph.

Driving this car on the highways is pretty addictive indeed. I'm a very finicky kind of person, but then there is nothing much to complain about except some minor annoyances which were detailed before. So far so good and I'm happy for the decision to go for this car.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 21:17   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,845
Thanked: 375 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

The VENTO TDI can overtake without any downshifts, and how !! The torque is great & the nudge on the accelerator gives a response unparalleled by many a car........


Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 04:42   #72
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 370 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
As promised some pictures of stanley leather seats and the steering grip.
Awesome seat covers there. Love the stitches, the fit and finish. Excellent! Will budget for a Stanley when I get bored of my current covers!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 20:33   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

One thing I forgot to mention - leather seats get better with time and usage. What I mean by that is, they get more snug and wrinkles disappear as we start using them more and more. I now feel the fit and finish looks much better compared to the time of installation. I also heard from the stanley guy that usage of A/C plays a role in this, however I dont know how far it is true.

The feel good factor is definitely there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Awesome seat covers there. Love the stitches, the fit and finish. Excellent! Will budget for a Stanley when I get bored of my current covers!

Last edited by bala80 : 11th October 2011 at 20:34.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 20:57   #74
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
One thing I forgot to mention - leather seats get better with time and usage. What I mean by that is, they get more snug and wrinkles disappear as we start using them more and more. I now feel the fit and finish looks much better compared to the time of installation. I also heard from the stanley guy that usage of A/C plays a role in this, however I dont know how far it is true.

The feel good factor is definitely there though.
Thats true, good leather looks better with usage, and gets much softer as well.
What's the role of A/C in making the leather better? Just curious to know

Bala, your Stanley seats are seat covers, or they removed the original fabric and stitched the leather to the seats?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 21:03   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Honestly, I dont know either! He was mentioning to me the leather will get more soft/seasoned with usage of A/C too and wrinkles will disappear.

They completely removed the fabric and stitched leather to the seats. They gave me back the original fabric, dont know what I can do with it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What's the role of A/C in making the leather better? Just curious to know

Bala, your Stanley seats are seat covers, or they removed the original fabric and stitched the leather to the seats?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: 1,15,000 km up + Kolkata trip update! Gannu_1 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1045 14th November 2017 05:22
My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review evilshantanu Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 151 28th August 2015 17:28
Volkswagen Vento Highline TDI : Ownership review ASTRIKX Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 13th June 2011 11:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks