Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th October 2011, 21:08   #76
BHPian

Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thats true, good leather looks better with usage, and gets much softer as well.
What's the role of A/C in making the leather better? Just curious to know
Mositure is supposed keep the leather soft and supple. If you are living in the desert and have a leather couch then it usually cracks up, due to the heat and the lack of mositure in the air and you need to use a leather conditioner often.
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 18:31   #77
Senior - BHPian

5000 Kms update

Car just completed 5k kms last weekend on a 1500 kms roundtrip. It was constantly raining all through the trip and as I was returning back to chennai had to drive through a series of potholes, resulting in the following

- One of the apollo acelere tyres just sheared off on hitting a pothole at moderate speed (around 50 kms). Sidewall has been totally damaged and the entire tyre had to be replaced. I was always finicky about these tyres and this incident proves my suspicion isnt misplaced. I decided to change all the 4 tyres to better ones as its not worth taking risk with these junk tyres anymore.

- Opted for C drives in 195/60/15, and got the shock of my life during the process of changing over these new tyres. The alloy which took the hit has been damaged very badly beyond any repair. Its now reduced to scrap. Have to get a new alloy at any case now - but they are not in stock immediately. I will be able to get one only by this weekend, till then the car has to run on the space saver tyre.

- Price of the alloy has not come down, it is still 18k+taxes. I'm probably the first owner to get this replaced. I would strongly suggest people to opt for the bumper to bumper insurance which covers the alloys also. I didnt opt for it and hence now paying this exorbitant amount to get a single alloy replaced. I could alternatively pay up the same and get all the 4 replaced with after market one's but decided to stick with the OEM one's for the time being.

- Need to be extremely careful when driving through rough roads. Also the jack that was provided with the car isnt the best one around. If you regularly travel lot on highways, I would suggest to invest on good set of tyres and a good hydraulic jack to be on the safer side.

- My scorp is best suited for bad roads compared to the vento. Realized it the hard way. This car cannot take even half the abuse that my scorp can take.

Overall this experience has left a bitter taste in the ownership experience which has been otherwise pretty ok. I will post the damage to the alloys sometime tomorrow.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 19:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
As promised some pictures of stanley leather seats and the steering grip.
Which series? Classic or satin?
Where did you get it done from?

EDIT:
Never mind. went thru the old posts. found it was satin.
BTW, 36K isnt it slightly costly? I had done the seats and center arm rest. came up to around 33.5K.
Quote:
- Price of the alloy has not come down, it is still 18k+taxes. I'm probably the first owner to get this replaced. I would strongly suggest people to opt for the bumper to bumper insurance which covers the alloys also. I didnt opt for it and hence now paying this exorbitant amount to get a single alloy replaced. I could alternatively pay up the same and get all the 4 replaced with after market one's but decided to stick with the OEM one's for the time being.
Are you talking about 1 single alloy?
If that is the case, you could go for aftermarket ones. And for 5 of them it might just cost around 25K.

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 29th November 2011 at 19:54.
anToNIcHeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 19:57   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5000 Kms update

Price of the alloy has not come down, it is still 18k+taxes. I'm probably the first owner to get this replaced. I would strongly suggest people to opt for the bumper to bumper insurance which covers the alloys also. I didnt opt for it and hence now paying this exorbitant amount to get a single alloy replaced. I could alternatively pay up the same and get all the 4 replaced with after market one's but decided to stick with the OEM one's for the time being.
Congrats on completing 5000 Kms.
Vento's alloy are very soft. Mine have developed few scratches and some are even deep. I would suggest you to change all the alloys and go for after market. What if after few days another alloy goes kaput, another 18K in drain. For 18K or more you could get better aftermarket alloys and they would improve looks too.
Just my 2 cents.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 20:04   #80
BHPian

The tyre shredded and alloy broken within first 5000Kms??

That is downright shocking.. I guess we will have to be very carefull with our ones. Very sad to hear this Bala. I hope that this incident goes down the memory lane quickly.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 20:24   #81
BHPian

Quote:
5000 Kms update

Car just completed 5k kms last weekend on a 1500 kms roundtrip. It was constantly raining all through the trip and as I was returning back to chennai had to drive through a series of potholes, resulting in the following

- One of the apollo acelere tyres just sheared off on hitting a pothole at moderate speed (around 50 kms). Sidewall has been totally damaged and the entire tyre had to be replaced. I was always finicky about these tyres and this incident proves my suspicion isnt misplaced. I decided to change all the 4 tyres to better ones as its not worth taking risk with these junk tyres anymore.

- Opted for C drives in 195/60/15, and got the shock of my life during the process of changing over these new tyres. The alloy which took the hit has been damaged very badly beyond any repair. Its now reduced to scrap. Have to get a new alloy at any case now - but they are not in stock immediately. I will be able to get one only by this weekend, till then the car has to run on the space saver tyre.

That is just awful. Looks like VW has generously cut corners in these departments to compensate for the money spent on other areas . Hope you can get back to enjoying your car very soon.

Quick question. Why did you not go for after market alloys if you could have gotten better and more durable ones for the same price? If the stock alloys are so fragile was it a warranty issue that prevented you from doing so? This makes me really scared about driving through rough roads. I guess the speed needs to come down drastically and night time driving best avoided knowing how unpredictable Indian roads can get.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 20:24   #82
Senior - BHPian

True. 2.5k for the steering leather grip adds to 36k.

Yes, 1 single alloy costs around 20k from VW. Its a borbet make, imported from germany.

I explored the after market options, problem is the buyback quoted for the other 3 alloys is very low (2k per piece), it didnt make much sense for me to give them away at that price. Price worked out to be the same for around 4 alloys (give or take a few 100's) but somehow liked the OEM one's the better and hence sticking with it.

I'm trying to see from some sources if I can source an used OEM alloy from somewhere, do let me know if you come across anything of that sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
BTW, 36K isnt it slightly costly? I had done the seats and center arm rest. came up to around 33.5K.

Are you talking about 1 single alloy?
If that is the case, you could go for aftermarket ones. And for 5 of them it might just cost around 25K.
- Another thing I wanted to mention is regarding the "thud" noise the suspension makes when going through the potholes. Its really heartbreaking and I'm not sure why it makes such a sickening noise. Can someone share their thoughts?

- Experienced VW roadside assistance when I was stuck with the flat tyre. The Jack that was provided with the car couldnt lift the car much (due to incessent rains and the soil being loose and wet) and the jack caved in after removing the punctured tyre. They called me back within 10 minutes and conferenced me with a local technician, but since I was stuck far away from the city he quoted me more than 3 hours to reach the place. Time was around 11 PM. Fortunately, I was able to stop a tempo which was passing by, use the big hydraulic jack to lift the car and replace the tyre. Pretty scary to get caught like this at a odd location at a odd hour. Fortunately, I had a friend alongside me who could help me out with this task. I dread the thought if this has happened when I travel with my family and kids!
Old 29th November 2011, 22:49   #83
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bala ,
Congrats on your completing 5,000 kms , saddened to know about your bad experience with the alloys and the tyres . C drives are good silent tyres but be aware of the fact that the sidewalls of Yokos are also not that tough . While on the return journey from Goa to Mumbai , i went over a bad patch and ripped my left front tyre . It was a strange puncture , one gash was near the rim and another gash was at the edge of the toe . Yokos rejected my warranty claim stating that its a tyre wall damage and not a manufacturing defect. They claim that a sharp knife like stuff would have gone through and through which is crap since there was nothing lodged in the tyre and no sign of any damage ( not even a scratch) on the alloys, especially expected since the alloys are known to be soft. Slowly and steadily learning that the warranties are crap, updating my thread with the pictures

Quote:
5000 Kms update
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 23:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Time was around 11 PM. Fortunately, I was able to stop a tempo which was passing by, use the big hydraulic jack to lift the car and replace the tyre. Pretty scary to get caught like this at a odd location at a odd hour. Fortunately, I had a friend alongside me who could help me out with this task. I dread the thought if this has happened when I travel with my family and kids!
Sorry to hear about the incident. I am not denying the fact that there is a loss of a tyre & an alloy wheel, but you should thank your stars, as there has been no damage to life or limb. Material damages can always be recovered, so get over it & enjoy your car. Recently I went through a similar situation. While traveling with family in the wee hours on NH50, my left tyre hit a pothole at high speed (@ 80 kmph) & it got burst. Luckily I escaped just with a damaged tyre. Further details in message # 93 --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-beyond-7.html
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 10:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Tyres and warranty are oxymorons!

I agree to your observation, infact I find the steering to be lighter now with the C-drives compared to the aceleres. I had expected it to get a little heavier due to the increased contact patch, but its the other way round. I'm a little surprised. I have heard someone comment silica based tyres flow into a pothole rather than bump into them which will reduce the chances of tyre damage. I dont know how true this is, but one thing for certain is Yoko's anyday will be superior to the stock apollo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
C drives are good silent tyres but be aware of the fact that the sidewalls of Yokos are also not that tough .
You are absolutely right. I went through your post and the incident that happened to me was very similar. It is the front left tyre that took the hit and burst immediately. Since the tyre burst, the alloy took the hit and it too gave way. It happened at the fag end of an otherwise wonderful trip, which is why I was very upset. Also cursing VW for not attempting to localize a very common part such as alloy's and pricing them ridiculously high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Sorry to hear about the incident. I am not denying the fact that there is a loss of a tyre & an alloy wheel, but you should thank your stars, as there has been no damage to life or limb. Material damages can always be recovered, so get over it & enjoy your car. Recently I went through a similar situation. While traveling with family in the wee hours on NH50, my left tyre hit a pothole at high speed (@ 80 kmph) & it got burst. Luckily I escaped just with a damaged tyre. Further details in message # 93 --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-beyond-7.html
Old 30th November 2011, 10:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Tyres and warranty are oxymorons!

I agree to your observation, infact I find the steering to be lighter now with the C-drives compared to the aceleres. I had expected it to get a little heavier due to the increased contact patch, but its the other way round. I'm a little surprised. I have heard someone comment silica based tyres flow into a pothole rather than bump into them which will reduce the chances of tyre damage. I dont know how true this is, but one thing for certain is Yoko's anyday will be superior to the stock apollo's.

You are absolutely right. I went through your post and the incident that happened to me was very similar. It is the front left tyre that took the hit and burst immediately. Since the tyre burst, the alloy took the hit and it too gave way. It happened at the fag end of an otherwise wonderful trip, which is why I was very upset. Also cursing VW for not attempting to localize a very common part such as alloy's and pricing them ridiculously high.
Oops.. this is scary. bad luck bala. I had Yoko ES100 on my Accent a few years back and I agree with you on the sidewalls. My Rapid is due for delivery coming Monday. Still contemplating between 195/60/15 C-Drive and 185/60/15 - Bridgestone Turanza ER 300.

I have Michelin PLC currently in my City and I must say I am satisfied just that it feels a bit bumpy (I have tried varied tyre pressures).
krish.sathish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 10:46   #87
BHPian

I never got this hyperbole about Borbet alloys, these are not some space age alloy wheels, they are for an economy car(Polo), from a very mainstream manufacturer. I understand that alloys are brittle, but 18k+ is too much, I am sure 70% is just markup, nothing special about the design. Lenso alloys should be a much better deal, they are far tougher, with low profile tyre my friend's City went over a rock on the side of the road and there was absolutely no damage.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:28   #88
BHPian

Quote:
- Another thing I wanted to mention is regarding the "thud" noise the suspension makes when going through the potholes. Its really heartbreaking and I'm not sure why it makes such a sickening noise. Can someone share their thoughts?
I was just going to ask you about the "thud" noise when I saw your post - you had mentioned this issue earlier as well and we had exchanged messages. I am experiencing the same with the front left - just yesterday went through what can best be described as a "moderate" sized pothole and the thud noise was very prominent. I am suspecting an issue with the left shock absorber. I have tried to compress it manually to check if there is issue but am unable to zero in on it. Is there any other way or symptom by which this can be confirmed ?
krish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 23:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Oh, this is a very common behaviour from the suspension, but no one knows why. I have experienced it on all the 4 wheels. Its damn frustrating, not to forget the rude jolt you and your co-passenger may experience.

There is a member who have complained about it to VW and waiting for a solution. You can follow this discussion in the official TD thread.

German engineering???

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11

I was just going to ask you about the "thud" noise when I saw your post - you had mentioned this issue earlier as well and we had exchanged messages. I am experiencing the same with the front left - just yesterday went through what can best be described as a "moderate" sized pothole and the thud noise was very prominent. I am suspecting an issue with the left shock absorber. I have tried to compress it manually to check if there is issue but am unable to zero in on it. Is there any other way or symptom by which this can be confirmed ?
Old 1st December 2011, 10:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

I was still not convinced about spending 20k for a single alloy, so looked up some designs on Lenso, plati, did some shopping around for alloys yesterday. I came across a shop in chennai, which promised me the OEM alloy for VW for 9900 Rs. Its quite a reputed place and promised its not an exchanged piece or replica, but they source it directly from OEM. They even showed me the box packing with all covers and seals intact, the center hubcap with VW logo (behind which its written, ABS plastic, made in germany). Bottom line is, VW sources these for much less than 9.9k but sells them at a whopping premium. I'm pretty sure the original price of these should be around either 5 or 6k at the most. A small consolation for me that I got the brand new replacement alloy at 50% lower cost.

Also, noticed the following difference on replacing the stock apollo tyres (185/65/15) with Yokohama C drives (195/60/15).

- Comfort has increased and tyre noise has decreased, both of these aren't a surprise and only expected.
- My steering has become light and the play in the steering has increased which is not expected and is a big surprise to me. I'm unable to understand why, but the difference is obvious. When I say steering play, it moves around the center position towards left and right easily without any change of direction of tyres. This is also obvious when you take turns. It is not as direct as it was with the apollo's. Your thoughts please?

Last edited by bala80 : 1st December 2011 at 10:02.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote