Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st December 2011, 10:33   #91
BHPian

Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I was still not convinced about spending 20k for a single alloy, so looked up some designs on Lenso, plati, did some shopping around for alloys yesterday. I came across a shop in chennai, which promised me the OEM alloy for VW for 9900 Rs. Its quite a reputed place and promised its not an exchanged piece or replica, but they source it directly from OEM. They even showed me the box packing with all covers and seals intact, the center hubcap with VW logo (behind which its written, ABS plastic, made in germany). Bottom line is, VW sources these for much less than 9.9k but sells them at a whopping premium. I'm pretty sure the original price of these should be around either 5 or 6k at the most. A small consolation for me that I got the brand new replacement alloy at 50% lower cost.
Thanks so much Bala. This means VW makes over 100% profit on each alloy . This is daylight robbery. Could you please share the name of the manufacturer of these alloys or any other details you found that can be used to source them separately . Given the way VW fleeces its customers on accessories its important that we have cheaper alternatives and still stay within warranty.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely. No two ways about it and I myself was shocked when I understood this. I was given to understand the OEM is Borbet, but I have no way of validating this - It doesnt say so anywhere in the alloy. Any other ways to find out?

Only behind the plastic hub cap did I find the engraving of ABS plastic and made in germany. I'm sure any reputed tyre/alloy shop should be able to source them for you after market. If you need the name of the shop, I can PM you the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Thanks so much Bala. This means VW makes over 100% profit on each alloy . This is daylight robbery. Could you please share the name of the manufacturer of these alloys or any other details you found that can be used to source them separately . Given the way VW fleeces its customers on accessories its important that we have cheaper alternatives and still stay within warranty.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 12:33   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much Bala. This means VW makes over 100% profit on each alloy . This is daylight robbery.
Given the way VW fleeces its customers on accessories its important that we have cheaper alternatives and still stay within warranty.
This may not be the volkswagen that is making the money. Its the dealer themselves who is fleecing you! Not sure, for the accessories sold, how much of it actually trickles down to the vw.
anToNIcHeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
This may not be the volkswagen that is making the money. Its the dealer themselves who is fleecing you! Not sure, for the accessories sold, how much of it actually trickles down to the vw.
But then if all dealers across India sell it exactly for the same price it probably is more to do with VW setting the price rather than the dealer. For the dealers to work in so much cohesion speaks of a cartel working with a lot of efficiency which frankly given the dealers I have seen and heard of is impossible .

I went back and checked the spare parts list and their prices for the Vento shard by somebody on TBHP and I couldn't locate the alloy wheel or its price. The whole operation seems very weird and lacks transparency on the part of VW.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 18:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to do with the dealer. This is the price fixed by VW for the part. This price is standard across India (18k/piece). The dealer places the order through the order portal of VW and it gets fulfilled in a week/10 days time. I dont know if the dealers get any commission on this though, will let the people with know how comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Quote:
But then if all dealers across India sell it exactly for the same price it probably is more to do with VW setting the price rather than the dealer. For the dealers to work in so much cohesion speaks of a cartel working with a lot of efficiency which frankly given the dealers I have seen and heard of is impossible .
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 21:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know if the dealers get any commission on this though, will let the people with know how comment.
Dealers get profit margins of 3-3.5 per cent on new cars and 15 per cent on spares [industry norm]. Source BSM.

Last edited by thenomad : 1st December 2011 at 21:28. Reason: text corrections
thenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 02:37   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was still not convinced about spending 20k for a single alloy, so looked up some designs on Lenso, plati, did some shopping around for alloys yesterday. I came across a shop in chennai, which promised me the OEM alloy for VW for 9900 Rs. Its quite a reputed place and promised its not an exchanged piece or replica, but they source it directly from OEM. They even showed me the box packing with all covers and seals intact, the center hubcap with VW logo (behind which its written, ABS plastic, made in germany). Bottom line is, VW sources these for much less than 9.9k but sells them at a whopping premium. I'm pretty sure the original price of these should be around either 5 or 6k at the most. A small consolation for me that I got the brand new replacement alloy at 50% lower cost.
Thanks for the information Bala. That sounds like a real rip-off from VW. Atleast good that you've an alternate option to source OEM alloys. Good find indeed!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:14   #98
Senior - BHPian

So, here are some pictures of the damage to the alloy, and also few photographs of my parking space (this is for souravc - no jugaads yet, got used to parking it day in and day out in this position)
Attached Images

Old 2nd December 2011, 10:28   #99
BHPian

Holy Crow, Thats some tight parking.Your boot is probably a couple of centimeters away from the wall !!! Guess it needs super duper skills to do this day in day out. Why dont you paste a think piece of foam or rubber in the wall at the location where your boot will come in contact to the wall. Might probably serve as a double protection just in case.
SR-71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:14   #100
Senior - BHPian

@bala80,
That's a ridiculously tight parking for the Vento. Amazing how you are handling this on a daily basis. Also I don't see any sensors at the back - do you have a reverse camera setup, or how do you do it?

One suggestion - I have seen gates that allow an extended area on the outer side - tried anything of the sort? You'll get 1-2 extra feet distance that might just be enough, without encroaching too much on the road. Do tell if you need images - can try to get them.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:41   #101
Senior - BHPian

Actually, its not that difficult once you get used to it. However I always get out of the car, check the distance and reverse it again!

Wanted to build a kerb where the rear wheels would rest, made an effort couple of times but unavailability of labour and water sump tank below delayed it. Now, I think I can manage this without any issues. Made the above practice my routine.

No, my car doesnt have any sensor's or camera's. I used to park my scorp in this space earlier , but it used to be very difficult since the width will be more and the approach roads are pretty narrow too. There is a downward slope (Quite steep - 3 feet above the road level) in front of the car, so the gate doesnt come in and hit against the front bumper even if someone closes it with force accidentally.

Having said all this, I also need to admit, that I have banged it against the wall once before, however no damage done since the speed of the impact was very less and the rear bumpers are usually pretty sturdy compared to the front one's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Holy Crow, Thats some tight parking.Your boot is probably a couple of centimeters away from the wall !!! Guess it needs super duper skills to do this day in day out. Why dont you paste a think piece of foam or rubber in the wall at the location where your boot will come in contact to the wall. Might probably serve as a double protection just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@bala80,
That's a ridiculously tight parking for the Vento. Amazing how you are handling this on a daily basis. Also I don't see any sensors at the back - do you have a reverse camera setup, or how do you do it?

One suggestion - I have seen gates that allow an extended area on the outer side - tried anything of the sort? You'll get 1-2 extra feet distance that might just be enough, without encroaching too much on the road. Do tell if you need images - can try to get them.

Last edited by bala80 : 2nd December 2011 at 13:43.
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:09   #102
BHPian

Bala,

Thats a very tight parking spot. Have you tried placing bricks at the position where your rear wheel has to rest? You can mark a straight line with 3 or 4 bricks and unless someone disturbs that you can use that as the maximum point to which you can reverse the car?
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:27   #103
Senior - BHPian

You got it absolutely spot on, I was using bricks till the time I got comfortable with the parking position of the car!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Bala,

Thats a very tight parking spot. Have you tried placing bricks at the position where your rear wheel has to rest? You can mark a straight line with 3 or 4 bricks and unless someone disturbs that you can use that as the maximum point to which you can reverse the car?
Old 3rd December 2011, 02:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

Bala , that's quite a bit of damage to the alloys my friend ! Hope you did a precautionary check on your suspension too .
Thanks for posting the pics of your parking space - thats just too tight for comfort , you should try out placing a piece of foam or even thermocol ( like SR-71 mentioned )
Congrats on the C drives , they are nice tyres - hope you can feel the difference. Do post your experience on the same
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:09   #105
BHPian

Bala, shocking to see the damage to the alloys. The inner wall has torn like a piece of cloth! That has taken away some of my confidence on the build quality. Gotta be more careful now!! And looking at the issues faced by you and Sourav on the C drives, I am in a fix.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote