Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2011, 15:33   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Have driven around 250 kms on the c-drives and following are my initial observations

- Low tyre noise, more comfortable than Apollo's
- Steering has become lighter and steering play has increased
- They definitely look and feel softer than the apollo's. I have to be doubly careful when going over bad patch, no other choice.

The second point was not expected and I have a suspicion that it may be since the alignment is not proper. I balanced the new tyres during installation, but didnt go for a wheel alignment. I'm out of station on business over the next couple of weeks and planning to check the alignment when I return back. Will post the updates then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Congrats on the C drives , they are nice tyres - hope you can feel the difference. Do post your experience on the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
And looking at the issues faced by you and Sourav on the C drives, I am in a fix.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 15:52   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I'm trying to see from some sources if I can source an used OEM alloy from somewhere, do let me know if you come across anything of that sorts.
Hi Bala - Could you please let me know if you were able to source the used OEM alloy in Chennai, I am also looking One for my Vento. please suggest. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I was still not convinced about spending 20k for a single alloy, so looked up some designs on Lenso, plati, did some shopping around for alloys yesterday. I came across a shop in chennai, which promised me the OEM alloy for VW for 9900 Rs.
Can you please share the shop details, I would like to buy one as well. thanks.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th January 2012 at 10:54. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
testing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:18   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Post re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Have driven around 250 kms on the c-drives and following are my initial observations

- Low tyre noise, more comfortable than Apollo's
- Steering has become lighter and steering play has increased
- They definitely look and feel softer than the apollo's. I have to be doubly careful when going over bad patch, no other choice.

to check the alignment when I return back. Will post the updates then.
Could you please let me know it is wise to go for 195/60 R15 or 205/55 R15? based on your observations?

Also please share the shop, where you'd purchased VW Alloy, Thanks.
testing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 19:19   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Sure. Would prefer to PM you the details instead of posting here. Since your status is a newbie, please provide me your email address, I shall send it over to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing2000 View Post
Can you please share the shop details, I would like to buy one as well. thanks.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 21:00   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Post re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Sure. Would prefer to PM you the details instead of posting here. Since your status is a newbie, please provide me your email address, I shall send it over to you.
Thanks, please share the details to raviml@gmail.com.

Also if you do not mind please share your contact nos, as I am from Chennai and also buying Vento, it would really help me to get some comments/suggestions from you (if it is fine with you, thanks).
testing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 22:42   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Done. Please let me know if you would need any additional information.

You are most welcome to contact me anytime for any assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you in whatever way I possibly can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing2000 View Post
Thanks, please share the details to raviml@gmail.com.

Also if you do not mind please share your contact nos, as I am from Chennai and also buying Vento, it would really help me to get some comments/suggestions from you (if it is fine with you, thanks).
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 11:08   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Alright, here is the update after driving around more than 500 kms on Yoko C drives...

- Got the wheel alignment done yesterday, no major deviation, but still the alignment was slightly off. Got everything corrected.
- No visible improvement in the feel and feedback of the steering post the alignment. It is vague and light compared to how it felt with stock apollo's.

I can only attribute this charecteristic to the tyres and their shoulder design. Also the increased sidewall height compared to the stock apollo's may be playing a part in this. I simply dont have an solution to this, but as with many things in life, need to compromise, accept and move on.

To overcome this disappointment, I have now started to put together the plan for ICE upgrade. Have decided on the following -
- Pioneer 2 DIN HU
- Infinity reference components in the front
- Infinity co-axials in the rear
- JBL/DLS 4 channel & Mono block amp
- Infinity/JBL 12" sub-woofer in ventillated box.

Currently in the process of getting quotations, estimates and finding the right installer for the job. If it may be of any interest to you, the buy back price of the stock vento HU is 2000 Rs and for speakers - thats scrap material. No one was willing to offer even a 100 Rs for these junk.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 11:22   #113
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 476 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
To overcome this disappointment, I have now started to put together the plan for ICE upgrade. Have decided on the following -
- Pioneer 2 DIN HU
- Infinity reference components in the front
- Infinity co-axials in the rear
- JBL/DLS 4 channel & Mono block amp
- Infinity/JBL 12" sub-woofer in ventillated box.
Bala, did you consider the Blaupunkt New York 800 that a member anilkalvani put on his Vento? IMO it looks awesome. With a reverse camera integrated with it your parking process will give you goosebumps . I am kidding.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 11:31   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,489
Thanked: 133 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

I got my self a Polo recently as well and went the C Drives route as well. For some reason I find the ride bouncy and less comfortable compared to Apollos! I think we need to meet up sometime and compare notes

What tyre pressure do you maintain? I couldnt take it at 32psi and am using 29psi now.

Also please do PM me your dealer details where you got the OEM alloys. I think its best to start collecting all this info right from the start.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 11:35   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,573
Thanked: 814 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

The play of the steering is definitely with the tyres. I have seen it more based on the terrain you are driving. Something that is less grippy could be the cause for that. Does it mean the C drives are less gripping than the Apollos?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 11:54   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm considering pioneer AVH P3300BT, which has the same functionality as well except navigation which I'm not too keen about. I have been using pioneer in my earlier cars and none of them have ever given me any issues so far. If only the rupee has not devalued so much, I would easily source this from US. It costs around $350 there and is quoted at around 20k in the local market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Bala, did you consider the Blaupunkt New York 800 that a member anilkalvani put on his Vento? IMO it looks awesome. With a reverse camera integrated with it your parking process will give you goosebumps . I am kidding.
Thanks for dropping by bottle. I now need to start experimenting with the tyre pressure, 32 isn't definitely helping the cause and I was thinking of going down to 30 psi next. I think the only issue with the apollo was the tyre noise and they were quite OK otherwise. I feel like an idiot to have upgraded from stock and complaining all the more now! I will PM you the details of the shop from where I sourced the OEM alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I got my self a Polo recently as well and went the C Drives route as well. For some reason I find the ride bouncy and less comfortable compared to Apollos! I think we need to meet up sometime and compare notes

What tyre pressure do you maintain? I couldnt take it at 32psi and am using 29psi now.

Also please do PM me your dealer details where you got the OEM alloys. I think its best to start collecting all this info right from the start.
My suspicion would be less rolling resistance? Unfortunately yokohama doesnt even have a website where we can check the product specifications. I remember someone telling me these are some silica based tyres which boast of less rolling resistance compared to other hard compound one's. I have used Michelin XM1+ on the swift before and they were just fantastic. No complaints what-so-ever.

As far as grip is concerned, though I havent experienced it in person yet, feedback from experts say they are quite grippy both in dry as well as wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The play of the steering is definitely with the tyres. I have seen it more based on the terrain you are driving. Something that is less grippy could be the cause for that. Does it mean the C drives are less gripping than the Apollos?
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 18:39   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Tyre change (again!) - You read it right. Just couldnt put up with the lifeless steering with Yoko's and went ahead and exchanged all the 4 C-drives for Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 in the same 195/60/15 profile. Choice was between turanza's/Michelin Primacy LC's and Continental CPC2 in 205/55/15 profile, but ultimately went for turanza since it had the most positive reviews amongst all the three.

Initial impressions - A big releif, steering is back to how it felt before, phew!, Thats all I wanted. Tyre noise is a wee bit more than the C-drives and Quality of ride a little less. But then, I was willing to make this compromise and it was a consicious decision. I bought yoko C drives for 4900 Rs per tyre and exchanged them for 4500 Rs/piece after around 500 kms of driving.

Cost of BS turanza - 5250/tyre. I'm finally pretty happy with my tyre upgrade and hopefully will stop complaining from here on. The steering is a little off center, and that needs to be sorted out a little later.
bala80 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 20:47   #118
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,850 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Tyre change (again!) - You read it right. Just couldnt put up with the lifeless steering with Yoko's and went ahead and exchanged all the 4 C-drives for Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 in the same 195/60/15 profile. Choice was between turanza's/Michelin Primacy LC's and Continental CPC2 in 205/55/15 profile, but ultimately went for turanza since it had the most positive reviews amongst all the three.

Initial impressions - A big releif, steering is back to how it felt before, phew!, Thats all I wanted. Tyre noise is a wee bit more than the C-drives and Quality of ride a little less. But then, I was willing to make this compromise and it was a consicious decision. I bought yoko C drives for 4900 Rs per tyre and exchanged them for 4500 Rs/piece after around 500 kms of driving.

Cost of BS turanza - 5250/tyre. I'm finally pretty happy with my tyre upgrade and hopefully will stop complaining from here on. The steering is a little off center, and that needs to be sorted out a little later.
So much of difference in steering feel with tyre change? I have to say that your thread on the Vento is extremely informative. Thank you!

Sorry, if I have missed this - did you replace the damaged wheel?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 21:38   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,489
Thanked: 133 Times
Default re: Ownership Log: VW Vento TDI HL (Updated with ICE Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

Initial impressions - A big releif, steering is back to how it felt before, phew!, Thats all I wanted. .

Sorry Bala, had sent you a PM before I came across this post. Glad to see you finally are happy with your tyres
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 22:32   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Oh yes, got the OEM alloys from an local tyre dealer for half the price. Details available in the earlier posts vb-san, let me know if you need any additional details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
So much of difference in steering feel with tyre change? I have to say that your thread on the Vento is extremely informative. Thank you!

Sorry, if I have missed this - did you replace the damaged wheel?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: 1,15,000 km up + Kolkata trip update! Gannu_1 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1045 14th November 2017 05:22
My white shadowfax arrives: Volkswagen Vento TDI HL ownership review evilshantanu Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 151 28th August 2015 17:28
Volkswagen Vento Highline TDI : Ownership review ASTRIKX Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 13th June 2011 11:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks