Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd August 2011, 19:24   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Ride the wind or party hard: My VW Vento and New Ford Fiesta take each other on!

Great comparison Starchild! Gotta love those simple and elegant lines of Vento! Ageless design and classy interiors.
NFS interior pics are real eyeopener and shocking to say the least, specially the glovebox and footwell.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ride the wind or party hard: My VW Vento and New Ford Fiesta take each other on!

Pre-outs provide you the option of adding external amplifiers and sub woofers to the system later, depending on how many are available. Ideally i would like to have 3 to add a couple of amplifiers and a sub-woofer.

If you happen to find out, please let me know starchild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARCHILD View Post

But what would you do with those?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
In a diesel you enjoy it more. All the torque of the world comes at a very low RPM. In the rev range between 2000-4000 diesel is the undisputed winner. Petrols on the other hand has the advantage of high revving. 5000+, in a Kseries 6000+ something that diesels can dream about. You in a diesel you can enjoy the kick. Thats why they are called more drivable.

Regarding FE diesels are inherently more fuel effecient. If your petrol delivers 12Kmpl, Diesel will deliver 16Kmpl. Drive it hard, petrol's efficiency can go down to 8Kmpl. and that is a 33% reduction. In a diesel with hard driving it will at max drop to 12kmpl. Drop is only 25%. But the point is if it is a diesel you will not care. Damn petrol is more than 1.5X costlier than diesel. So why care?

Now NVH is a valid point and is is somewhere diesels have no answer.

For the price diffference 1.4L is a huge amount. But if your monthly fuel bills will also be less. And the diesels will almost retain the extra 1.4L price difference at resale. You just need to look at the usage.
Agreed but... Take the prices of petrol and diesel in delhi @ Rs. 63.7 and 41.29; and the FE you indicated @ 12 and 16 respectively. The cost per KM for petrol and diesel works out to Rs.5.3 and 2.6 i.e. diesel is Rs.2.7 per KM cheaper than petrol. Now If I travel an average of 40 KM per day I save Rs.108 per day or 3240 per month. Now to offset the car's initial price difference between the petrol and diesel models @ 1.4 lacs I will recover the cost in 43 months. I have not even considered the ROI on the 1.4 lacs if I had invested it in my business or elsewhere. So there you have it...my head overruled my heart!
STARCHILD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Great comparison Starchild! Gotta love those simple and elegant lines of Vento! Ageless design and classy interiors.
NFS interior pics are real eyeopener and shocking to say the least, specially the glovebox and footwell.
Thanks c300. If ford would have not skimped on the interiors then the NFS would have been a favorite among those who want performance as well as features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Pre-outs provide you the option of adding external amplifiers and sub woofers to the system later, depending on how many are available. Ideally i would like to have 3 to add a couple of amplifiers and a sub-woofer.

If you happen to find out, please let me know starchild.
Thanks for the info bala! I'm not a big fan of amps in cars though. Will post a snap of the rear when the ICE is taken out again.
STARCHILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed but... Take the prices of petrol and diesel in delhi @ Rs. 63.7 and 41.29; and the FE you indicated @ 12 and 16 respectively. The cost per KM for petrol and diesel works out to Rs.5.3 and 2.6 i.e. diesel is Rs.2.7 per KM cheaper than petrol. Now If I travel an average of 40 KM per day I save Rs.108 per day or 3240 per month. Now to offset the car's initial price difference between the petrol and diesel models @ 1.4 lacs I will recover the cost in 43 months. I have not even considered the ROI on the 1.4 lacs if I had invested it in my business or elsewhere. So there you have it...my head overruled my heart!
Precisely the reason I considered a diesel car as my new purchase the 2nd time round.

Excellent pictorial comparison STARCHILD!!
Sugeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Ride the wind or party hard: My VW Vento and New Ford Fiesta take each other on!

Quote:
my head overruled my heart!
Wouldn't this saving be offsetted by the higher maintenance costs for the diesel car? Also the petrol one is more FTD vehicle than the diesel one isn't it?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:03   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Precisely the reason I considered a diesel car as my new purchase the 2nd time round.

Excellent pictorial comparison STARCHILD!!
Thanks sugeeta! A diesel makes perfect sense, if you can recover the extra cost (along with accrued interest) within 2-2.5 years i.e. travel over 60-70KM per day. In my case it would take between 3.5-4 years given my daily running, hence I opted for the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Wouldn't this saving be offsetted by the higher maintenance costs for the diesel car? Also the petrol one is more FTD vehicle than the diesel one isn't it?
Well I feel with improved technology the difference in maintenance costs between petrol and diesel cars has become much less. Certainly not big enough to give petrol hearts a significant advantage. The primary factor to be considered when choosing diesel, is the daily running. As mentioned earlier if you can recover the extra initial cost in 2-2.5 years then go for the diesel. Unless you are a petrolhead!
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Awesome comparison of NFF & Vento - if only you had the moolah to buy the Fluidic Verna too

Jokes apart, that was an extensive comparison - which almost makes me push to do the same with hatchbacks (got Punto & I20 & Fabia among my friends circle). Let me see if I can convince them to spare a day for such an activity.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd August 2011 at 16:57.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 10:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Awesome comparison of NFF & Vento - if only you had the moolah to buy the Fluidic Verna too

Jokes apart, that was an extensive comparison - which almost makes me push to do the same with hatchbacks (got Punto & I20 & Fabia among my friends circle). Let me see if I can convince them to spare a day for such an activity.
Good one ninjatalli! If I did have another 10-12lac to splurge then it would have been the Superb+Vento. Hope you can convince your friends soon. More such comparos could lead to a whole new forum. That would be a big help to all those stuck in limbo, in making a decision.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:43   #40
BHPian

@Starchild: What a neat review with all those PICs,
It made me wonder how you had the patience to take all those photos and put them across in such a neat way.
And in the end, It made me tizzy looking at the photos still

Great work dude
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:42   #41
BHPian

Excellent Review Starchild!! Loved it.

Regarding the Vento Bonnet Insulation Mat, I'm surprised its not available in yours. I do have it in my car. But then, Its a diesel. May be for petrol variants, they gave it a miss.
mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 14:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

This comparo really shows the stark difference in quality between the Vento and the Fiesta

The Vento looks like it is 2 segments higher when compared to the Ford. Very dissapointing to see that Ford is all cosmetic glory but lacks substance. Almost every comparo, the difference is eveident. The foot well, the knobs, the storage compartment etc, has so much gap, sharp edges and so on. I recollect reading this on someone else review as well. Cant recollect who.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 15:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

We need more reports like this which help the readers to make informed decisions.What a contrast in interior quality of two cars? That glove box and bonnet release comparison pictures speak volumes of the build quality of two cars.

Last edited by poloman : 25th August 2011 at 15:02.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 23:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Comparison, Very nice and apt pictures too. Loved it overall. If possible try and include the Verna too. And it was disappointing to see that small quality issues are haunting the otherwise brilliant driver's car that the NFS is :(
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 00:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely done reports. Vento is a classic. I found Fiesta downright ugly in front of Vento clean classy lines. Vento will age much more better than the Fiesta. And the sheer quality of the interiors. Sweet Vento.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote