Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 09:42   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
Congrats on the beast skjlives!

I am impressed with that fact that you are able to drive this car on slow speed breakers without having to change to first gear or ride the clutch.
Please keep the post updated on your impressions about drive ability once you have covered some more distance in bumper to bumper city driving especially as compared to OHC.

Cheers and happy mile crunching.
Thanks Rohit. Speaking to you was instrumental in getting the confidence to go ahead with Tafe.
On the speed breaker maneuvering, I used to categorize them as 1st gear bumps, second gear ones and some which I could easily take in 3rd gear in my OHC (like the ones which are supposed to really be pedestrian crossover strips, like a few on Varthur road between kundanhalli and kaikondanhalli). What has happened with the Laura is that many of the 3rd gear ones now need 2nd and many of the 2nd gear ones now need 1st, as I've heard from many users that riding the clutch on this car is a total no-no, not that I used to do it anyway. So I guess what I meant in my post is that "not all" speed bumps require a shift to first gear, and many of them can be maneuvered in second or even third, contrary to what some of the super-confident sales and test drive team members tell you.

Will post on bumper to bumper situations a bit later, although I've already had some experience there. Am tackling those so far by staying in first gear and feathering the throttle with minimal usage of the clutch. It is definitely more cumbersome than being in such traffic with my OHC or Ritz, but I guess I am also being extra cautious in a new car.
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 11:21   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Skjlives: As far as the "Kitna deti hai?" question is concerned, I would suggest, dont sweat much. The car does give a decent 8-9 kmpl in city and around 12-13 on highways. For a car that powerful, I say its a good mileage. Once the run-in is done and once 1st servicing is completed, expect some rise in the mileage (though not drastic).

Here's my suggestion if you dont mind:
1. Get the 3d Kagu mats. Do let me know the cost in Bangy.
2. Change the upholstery to leather (Stanley or something else) soon. The fabric is amazingly difficult to maintain.
3. Do update the pic of the Right ORVM, once you get the convex mirror.

Also, any mods in the pipeline?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 12:00   #18
BHPian
 
nirav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore, Singapore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Congratulations and welcome to the TSi club! Mileage-wise, in my 2k-odd kms i have seen nothing over 8kmpl in BLR city conditions, sometimes even closer to 7! However the pleasure of the drive more than makes up for this, as does the great interior / sound system. I completely agree on the RH ORVM, and am still baffled as to how they could make such a glaring omission. I am yet to get mine changed to convex, but it is on the agenda. Also, after reading yours and all the other TSi threads, am looking to upgrade the tyres to Yokos or something similar, ditching the Good Years. Good call on retaining the 15" wheels- in BLR these days, lower profile tyres just plainly spell trouble given the state of the "roads". Wishing you many km's of happy motoring!
nirav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 12:42   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirav View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the TSi club! Mileage-wise, in my 2k-odd kms i have seen nothing over 8kmpl in BLR city conditions, sometimes even closer to 7! However the pleasure of the drive more than makes up for this, as does the great interior / sound system. I completely agree on the RH ORVM, and am still baffled as to how they could make such a glaring omission. I am yet to get mine changed to convex, but it is on the agenda. Also, after reading yours and all the other TSi threads, am looking to upgrade the tyres to Yokos or something similar, ditching the Good Years. Good call on retaining the 15" wheels- in BLR these days, lower profile tyres just plainly spell trouble given the state of the "roads". Wishing you many km's of happy motoring!
I feel I'll be able to eke out double digit mileage, given that my commute is slightly suburban (Sarjapur Road to Whitefield), but will report actual figures. Anyway, doesn't matter much.
I'm about to order the ORVM from ebay, current ones are a real pain. Here's the link, if you like (Courtesy Santosh, if I remember correctly): eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Skjlives: As far as the "Kitna deti hai?" question is concerned, I would suggest, dont sweat much. The car does give a decent 8-9 kmpl in city and around 12-13 on highways. For a car that powerful, I say its a good mileage.

Here's my suggestion if you dont mind:
1. Get the 3d Kagu mats. Do let me know the cost in Bangy.
2. Change the upholstery to leather (Stanley or something else) soon. The fabric is amazingly difficult to maintain.
3. Do update the pic of the Right ORVM, once you get the convex mirror.

Also, any mods in the pipeline?
Swanand, I agree. I think mileage is over-rated. It does not make a real difference in terms of fuel-spend per month, give or take a few grands. However, i do derive secret pleasure by pulling out good numbers with the right driving techniques but that's about how much I think about it.

3D Kagu mats are a must - Any pointers on where to get them for Laura here in Bangalore? Perhaps a guy with honest quotes?

I'm actually not a big fan of leather seats, especially for Indian conditions. Right now the plan is to stick to the stock fabric upholstery and may be get a shampoo job for the interiors on a periodic basis (we'll see what that period is; 6-12 months perhaps). If that plan fails, will go for leather.

Plan is to get into mods in the second innings of the car, say after 30-40k kms. IMO, there is a pleasure in driving a stock car and getting every bit out of it in terms of performance, refinement and reliability.
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 22:08   #20
BHPian
 
cedricsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Congrats & welcome to the rare breed of Skoda Tsi's. Loved the pictures. Keen to see the interior pictures!
cedricsg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 23:42   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,735
Thanked: 89,288 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

It is seriously raining TSI's on Team-BHP. And this is before the RS' launch in exactly a week.

Congrats Skjlives! I hope the car treats you well for a long-time to come. Enjoy that Honda-beating petrol engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Undoubtedly the best driver's car south of 3-Series
Not to me. Reasons:

- 3 series also gets an electric steering now
- This car has a manual . Automatics suck!
- To me, nothing beats the pleasure of a high-revving petrol; Fuel prices be damned. I have one passion and will live it to the fullest.

I simply cannot connect with automatics like I do with a nice manual. Note : These were my exact words after a run down the Lonavla ghats in the EVO X too.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 12:07   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
3D Kagu mats are a must - Any pointers on where to get them for Laura here in Bangalore? Perhaps a guy with honest quotes?
You could check with SantoshBhat (IIRC), he did buy the Kagu mats for his Laura. The price for Laura should be between 5-5.5k give or take.

@GTO: Very well said indeed. No Auto tranny can beat the pleasure a Manual can give you. Not even the famed DSG by VW comes close to manuals. Manual's are a bliss on open roads.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 13:38   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 29
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Congratulations on acquiring the beast. Its a real fun to drive car and slotting the gears on long highway stretches as she speeds along is something! Just the love the audio quality. My better half however does not find the seating comfortable enough.Finds our Indica more comfortable.I myself have never sat on the co passenger or rear seats so far.

Hope its not OT but I had a weird experience while I was driving down from Mangalore to Bangalore. The engine oil warning light came on transiently in Mangalore and I had a guy from the Skoda service take a look before i left Mlor.It was 15th Aug and this was done on the roadside near Ladyhill. The oil level was good and he suggested i get it checked in Blor. En route the light came on again and when I took a look under the hood there was engine oil all over the place and the cap was missing. Took the car slowly upto Blor and got it checked the next day at TAFE on Hosur road.They gave me a spare cap, ran diagnostics and told me i could carry on.Drove upto Hyderabad and reached comfortably.Anyone else had any similar experience?
Mallya_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 13:57   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

nice writeup. Should be fun driving on highways. enjoy!
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 15:03   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
nice writeup. Should be fun driving on highways. enjoy!

Yup. Plan is to do Bangalore - Goa next week. Need to pick up wifey at Dabolim airport at 6 pm. Distance from my apartment is exactly 700 km. Given car is in run-in period, will start early to give myself enough time to get there. Can't wait
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 15:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,784
Thanked: 3,017 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallya_2010 View Post
My better half however does not find the seating comfortable enough.Finds our Indica more comfortable.
Very surprising. The rear seats are quite hard and I probably guess this is why she may find it uncomfortable. I remember reading a few posts on the forum where people found the Laura's rear seat uncomfortable (some even finding it nauseating!) . But even the front seat?!!!
Now, I wonder whether she is uncomfortable with the seats or the bursts of acceleration which you may be unleashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallya_2010 View Post
Hope its not OT but I had a weird experience while I was driving down from Mangalore to Bangalore. The engine oil warning light came on transiently in Mangalore and I had a guy from the Skoda service take a look before i left Mlor.It was 15th Aug and this was done on the roadside near Ladyhill. The oil level was good and he suggested i get it checked in Blor. En route the light came on again and when I took a look under the hood there was engine oil all over the place and the cap was missing. Took the car slowly upto Blor and got it checked the next day at TAFE on Hosur road.They gave me a spare cap, ran diagnostics and told me i could carry on.Drove upto Hyderabad and reached comfortably.Anyone else had any similar experience?
Looks like the Skoda mechanic did not screw the cap back on tightly. The TSI is known to consume oil in the first 10K kms. (The manual says consumption of 0.5L per 1000kms is normal). Some owners have even reported topping up 3 to 4 litres in their first 10K kms. I am seriously contemplating buying a litre of Shell Helix Ultra and carrying it in my boot at all times as a back up. I have already topped up 1 litre at 3,000 Kms.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:42   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

carry some amount recommended engine oil with you always. take care of the tires. fronts seem to wear out a lot faster.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 17:20   #28
BHPian
 
Speed Pujari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 429
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

@skjlives .. that is a beautiful car you got. I love all the cars which handles well giving a safe feel, solid built for extra safety, runs on petrol, and yes if it is turbocharged.

Laura is the only car under 20L after cruze which gains my attraction everytime I see it on road.

BTW this yokohama sidewall strength is a news to me. My three yokos till date (1 A-drive on my Palio, 2 S-drives on my linea) sacrificed their side walls within 10k run.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Any guesses on which is the hottest handler of the lot here?
...
Are you talking about the Ritz ...???
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 18:13   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 29
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Looks like the Skoda mechanic did not screw the cap back on tightly. The TSI is known to consume oil in the first 10K kms. (The manual says consumption of 0.5L per 1000kms is normal). Some owners have even reported topping up 3 to 4 litres in their first 10K kms. I am seriously contemplating buying a litre of Shell Helix Ultra and carrying it in my boot at all times as a back up. I have already topped up 1 litre at 3,000 Kms.
The thing is I dont recall him manipulating the cap but its possible i may have missed it.He just checked the dipstick and the oil levels were midway.And the light had come on transiently the previous night.

I will let the other comment pass
Mallya_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 22:06   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
BTW this yokohama sidewall strength is a news to me. My three yokos till date (1 A-drive on my Palio, 2 S-drives on my linea) sacrificed their side walls within 10k run.
Are you talking about the Ritz ...???
The Yoko sidewall stuff is dealer-speak but I was somehow convinced. I'm not sure if the reinforced sidewall is uniformly across all Yokohama tires or just some of their products. There's a lot of positive stuff on one the Yoko v550 thread, so I decided to go ahead. Of course I need to put on some significant mileage to be able to comment on durability, but the ride and (lack of) noise experience is pretty satisfactory so far.

Never bought the Ritz for it's handling. That is best demonstrated by the Firefox with its36H double wall alloy rims wearing 700 X 23C Kenda tires and a super stiff suspension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
carry some amount recommended engine oil with you always. take care of the tires. fronts seem to wear out a lot faster.
Do you think i should carry oil for my trip too? The odo just reads 200 km right now, but of course it will become almost 1700-1800 by the time I am back from Goa and the run-in would have been completed somewhere midway on the trip
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tyres for Laura 1.8 TSI - Ambiente Trim Easynow Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 35 25th November 2014 16:25
Black Ambiente Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI - Total satisfaction incorporated buz Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 148 11th August 2011 21:17
Stříbrná Česká Princezna - May '11 Skoda Laura TSI Ambiente decced Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 14th July 2011 15:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks