Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th September 2011, 10:40   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
600 Kms in 7 hours that's an average speed of above 85, too good. Do post a detailed travellogue when you return. Also had you completed run-in before you started or on the highway, and looks like you pushed the car good.
One more question about the road quality between Bangalore-Goa. I think there is a bad patch in between. How did the car behave on the bad roads.
Yup. Only other time I have managed that kind of average speed was when a colleague and I drove the boss's 2.4L Accord from Hyderabad to Bangalore (Started 5:30 pm from ISB and reached Whitefield at 12:30am, around 625 km).

Actually, did not push the car much. May be crossed 150-160 once or twice momentarily, but in general held speeds of around 110-120 on NH4 and 80-90 on NH63.

Car behaved very well on broken roads encountered on NH63, especially at medium to high speeds. I went very gentle on bigger potholes and speed bumps and the car held its poise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
How abut posting a travelogue buddy? That is if you found time to photograph anything or focus on something else other than the drive
Will post travelogue soon. Pictures were taken on the way back by the wife. As you guessed, I mainly focused on the driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That is an awesome time you ve made up man. Which route did you take? How were the road conditions and what were your average speeds? Also, going by what you said, it looks like it was a non stop drive. Am I correct?

This is an eminently known issue and can be fixed at most Skoda dealerships. In case you need any help at Vinayak Skoda, just send me a PM.
I took NH4-NH63-NH17. Road conditions are brilliant, except for 30-40 km before Karwar on NH63, but even that is not alarming, yet! Average speeds of mostly around 120 kmph on NH4, with some burn and coast, and around 80 on NH63 and NH17. Drove non stop from Bangalore to Karwar (600+ km), where the sight of an Udupi cafe made me halt my relentless progress. From thereon, drove to Dabolim airport, which took another hour and a half. So total around 700 km with one break for lunch.

The fogging issue is a major bug and will try to get it fixed ASAP. Will check first at Tafe since car is from there, if not, will buzz you. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The TSI does that to you . My work requires me to go Belgaum at least once a month if not more. I always took the train or an overnight bus. Last month I decided to drive down. Completed the 500 odd km journey in 5 1/2 hrs. The drive was so enjoyable that in the last two months have completed two round trips. I justified my decision to go for a petrol car thinking that my running is low. Now with these trips I have completed almost 5000 kms in 3 months!

The misting is on the outside part of the glass, hence the defogger setting doesn't help. Try turning the temp up a little combined while keeping air flow knob between the normal faceward position and the feet. Doesn't fully solve the problem but reduces it to an extent. Is a known issue plaguing the Laura for ages now. The service centres seem to have a definite fix for this. See if you can get it done when you visit them for the washer fix.
Santosh, I agree. Not only was the drive fast, it was also supremely comfortable. So much so that I thought upon completing the return journey, I could embark on another 500 km drive! I can totally see why you have junked the train option for driving to Belgaum.

Will try out your suggestion on the fogging issue, but I guess best is to visit the service center and get rid of it. The washer issue is resolved. Got a guy at a fuel pump to look into it and he was able to resolve it. Just some suction issue with the washer tank.
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 14:19   #62
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Goa in the TSi must have been more than fun. TL is a must.
Also, about the niggles you mentioned:
1. Not too sure why you faced problems with the hand rest. Maybe its your seating position. Ive always found it very comfy. Try and adjust your seat (and the hand rest) to get the best driving position.
2. Enough has been said on the windscreen fogging issue. Our mod, Anshuman has it sorted out on his Laura when the 1st servicing had been done. No clue as to how they did it though.
3. Get the washer thingy sorted out soon. Not only is it an inconvenience in the rains, dry wipes could possibly damage your windscreen too (if dust particles get stuck).

Dont want to put you in doubt, but do you hear rattling noise from the back of the car? Most laura's on TBHP have reported that. That again, is a known issue. So if it does crop up, dont sweat.

Lastly, I think I missed it, what tyres are you running on?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 14:30   #63
BHPian

Hey Skj, How do you feel about the turbo lag after driving the NA cars for so long? also is the clutch on the TSI as hard as the TDI?
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 17:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Hey Skj, How do you feel about the turbo lag after driving the NA cars for so long? also is the clutch on the TSI as hard as the TDI?
I guess turbo lag is hardly on your mind when you're out there on the highway deep in the powerful mid-range, but when I drove my Ritz to work today, I was almost shocked by the crispness of the throttle compared to the TSI. So yeah, the first gear and a few fractions of seconds in the second gear have discernible turbo lag to remind you that this is not a NA car. Post that, you do the "disappearing act"

I haven't driven the TDI Laura at all, only the 2009 PD version and I don't recall what I felt about that clutch, but the TSI's definitely feels much harder than my OHC and Ritz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
1. Not too sure why you faced problems with the hand rest. Maybe its your seating position. Ive always found it very comfy. Try and adjust your seat (and the hand rest) to get the best driving position.
2. Enough has been said on the windscreen fogging issue. Our mod, Anshuman has it sorted out on his Laura when the 1st servicing had been done. No clue as to how they did it though.
3. Get the washer thingy sorted out soon. Not only is it an inconvenience in the rains, dry wipes could possibly damage your windscreen too (if dust particles get stuck).

Dont want to put you in doubt, but do you hear rattling noise from the back of the car? Most laura's on TBHP have reported that. That again, is a known issue. So if it does crop up, dont sweat.

Lastly, I think I missed it, what tyres are you running on?
May be the armrest niggle gets aggravated for me given my average height - I'm 5'5", and also that I like to sit bit further than normal from the wheels. I guess I'll try to tinker with seating position and solve this or get the damn cover extracted

Washer thingy got sorted, as I mentioned below - Was a simple issue.

The only rattle I hear so far is the passenger seat belt knocking against the inner body if a weirdly shaped bump/pothole is encountered to shake the car laterally. Is there a clip or something to secure that?

I put Yokohama V550 DB in 205/65/15 on the stock rims.
skjlives is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 17:54   #65
BHPian

I drive a TDI Laura Manual and i can confirm, the initial throttle response does seem lacking (hint: my other car is a petrol Swift) both in first and second gear as compared to NA cars. But the car does rev very quickly and also has full torque available as low as 1750 RPM.

I have also driven a car equipped with DSG and must say DSG behaves like none other, it is extremely responsive, because the 2 liter TDI diesel engine is almost like a petrol in terms of its ability to rev very very quickly, coupled with the super fast gear shifts only possible on the DSG and you have a rocking fast car which is also easy to drive in city. I would say nine out of ten drivers will find 2 liter TDI diesel with DSG faster to drive than the TSI especially where frequent gear changes are needed.

On the highway off course these are non-issues .
rohitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 19:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
I would say nine out of ten drivers will find 2 liter TDI diesel with DSG faster to drive than the TSI especially where frequent gear changes are needed.

On the highway off course these are non-issues .
I guess I am the 10th TSI driver, that would disagree. In fact just weekend, I took both the cars back to back. The TSI is way quicker, even with frequent gear changes.
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 08:32   #67
BHPian

cedricsg, i sure acknowledge, that one out of 10 drivers who finds TSI faster even on roads requiring freq gear changes is most likely to be found on t-bhp ...

seriously what i meant to say was that the DSG does add a lot to the driving experience and achievable acceleration. Just read the number of enthusiasts asking for DSGs even on the TSI/VRS.
rohitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 14:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would say nine out of ten drivers will find 2 liter TDI diesel with DSG faster to drive than the TSI especially where frequent gear changes are needed.

I guess I am no. 20. The DSG box on the diesel sure has lightning quick shift times compared to the manual, but if the driver driving the manual TSI wants to be quick he doesn't really have to shift at all once he is on the move. That's the beauty of the manual mated to a high revving engine like the TSI. The ability to hold on to each gear till the red line. Second is good for 100 and the engine is not even straining itself at this speed.

Of course there is no comparison on the economy front. The TSI would be guzzling petrol if driven like that. But if one has comes to pick the quicker of the two, I would have to go for the TSI, irrespective of the conditions.

Quote:
seriously what i meant to say was that the DSG does add a lot to the driving experience and achievable acceleration. Just read the number of enthusiasts asking for DSGs even on the TSI/VRS.
DSG does add to the driving experience and can be very quick along with the convenience of an AT in slow traffic conditions. But somehow it lacks the driver involvement of a manual.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 6th September 2011 at 14:44.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote