Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th March 2012, 19:34   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
They cost around 8K for a pair and I think that it should be possible to install new ORVMs as the current one are also electric with wiring. Do confirm from Honda guys before making the decision.
BV, I checked with Honda guys when I got my 3rd free service. You are right they cost 8k for a pair and it can be put on the existing wiring. But the problem is a) the actual lit portion on the OVRM is pretty small as compared to the whole strip and b) If the wiring were to be done then the side indicator (just besides the front fender) would remain just like that without blinking as they cant have two wiring. Hence I decided to skip it.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 19:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
BV, I checked with Honda guys when I got my 3rd free service. You are right they cost 8k for a pair and it can be put on the existing wiring. But the problem is a) the actual lit portion on the OVRM is pretty small as compared to the whole strip and b) If the wiring were to be done then the side indicator (just besides the front fender) would remain just like that without blinking as they cant have two wiring. Hence I decided to skip it.
Guys I got a negative answer from the SA, he said it cannot be done. He mentioned wiring issues and asked me not to go for it.

I was keen on replacing the center console, waiting for his call as parts are still not available. Not sure about the pricing as well.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 20:33   #33
BHPian

3rd Service Update ~ 5k km

Finished 3rd service last Saturday. The car is now in its 6th month of ownership and I have completed 4,950 kilometers so far. Most of them have been in the city with bumper to bumper traffic. Highways runs are not that frequent, though have done a couple of long drives to let her stretch her legs.

Service Center - Apex Honda Worli

Engine Oil change - Rs. 1,381

Number etching on windows - Rs. 500

Anti-rust touch up - Free

Total - Rs 1,881

Time taken - 5 hours

The Ownership Experience so far

The car is silky smooth as ever and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. So much so that hardly drive my hatch these days even though the call for diesel is very difficult to ignore these days. Nonetheless, super light steering (don't enjoy too much steering feedback), great acceleration, effortless gear change makes it a sheer joy to travel amidst stop-go-stop traffic. The ample power and the high revving nature is a great boon on highways.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:13   #34
BHPian

Congratulation Arup. After going though your review, I felt that purchase of the City was close to a pre-meditated one. Did you get the opportunity to take the iVtec for a long drive?

What is the 'Number etching on windows' as written by you above? Is there any picture of it?
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 22:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Congratulation Arup. After going though your review, I felt that purchase of the City was close to a pre-meditated one. Did you get the opportunity to take the iVtec for a long drive?

What is the 'Number etching on windows' as written by you above? Is there any picture of it?
I thought this was a practice more in Delhi, I remember seeing lot of DL vehicles having their registration number etched on the window.

I guess Arup is referring to that, didn't quite understand the reason for this etching though. Let us know
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 22:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
I guess Arup is referring to that, didn't quite understand the reason for this etching though. Let us know
It has a benefit. If unfortunately someone's car gets stolen then thieves change the number plate etc but they fail/forget to check the windows where number is impressed in small font size. I have heard that many car theft cases have been solved by Delhi police because of this.

However it is not compulsory.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 12:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulation Arup. After going though your review, I felt that purchase of the City was close to a pre-meditated one.

Well that's exactly what happens in love at first sight.

Did you get the opportunity to take the iVtec for a long drive?

Not many but I did a Mumbai-Lonavla run. Achieved a top speed of 180kmph . Although the vtech was loving every bit of it, the chance glance of missus meant a rapid deceleration to sane speeds.

They basically inscribe the car number on the window glass. Will try and get a picture of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
didn't quite understand the reason for this etching though.

Two reasons

a) For my old car I had got additional premium waiver (IDV was same) from Bajaj as it is supposed to be a deterrent for car theives

b) A friend of mine is a top cop in Mumbai and he said that its best way to trace a car if it gets stolen. Most thieves would change numbers and even recolor the car but a small thing like this helps police crack the case.

Besides its just a one time expense of Rs 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
It has a benefit. If unfortunately someone's car gets stolen then thieves change the number plate etc but they fail/forget to check the windows where number is impressed in small font size. I have heard that many car theft cases have been solved by Delhi police because of this.

However it is not compulsory.

Absoutely BV, not compulsory but no harm done.

Replies in bold friends.
arup.misra is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 15:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Achieved a top speed of 180kmph . Although the vtech was loving every bit of it, the chance glance of missus meant a rapid deceleration to sane speeds.
I guess that would be the max speed. I saw a video in Youtube where it touched 180 and remained there for close to a minute. May be it can go a bit more as I have heard that ECU will kick in and restrict the speed at 190. I don't think that the 1500 CC engine has more torque to go faster than 190.

I touched 172 kmph couple of years back when a Manza needled me. It was a straight line drive. Though the car touched 172, I never had a stable feeling -- it kind of floats. What was your perception in 180?

True, in my case also -- some cautioning from the other half mellowed out the car. By that time, Manza was already conquered anyway

Last edited by B103 : 20th March 2012 at 15:21.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 15:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I guess that would be the max speed. I went till 172 kmph couple of years back when a Manza needled me. Though the car touched 172, I never had a stable feeling -- it kind of floats. What was your perception?

These speeds shouldn't make you confident especially on our roads. But yes I agree I bit more steel should have gone into the chasis. Plus the suspension is too soft at these speeds vibrations are easily felt. But I guess it is lot to do with the puny stock tyres too. May be a 195/60 or a 205/55 would get rid of the floating feeling. Kind of catch 22. Risk the warranty or risk the speeds.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 15:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
These speeds shouldn't make you confident especially on our roads. But yes I agree I bit more steel should have gone into the chasis. Plus the suspension is too soft at these speeds vibrations are easily felt. But I guess it is lot to do with the puny stock tyres too. May be a 195/60 or a 205/55 would get rid of the floating feeling. Kind of catch 22. Risk the warranty or risk the speeds.
I have upgraded to 195/65 R15 couple of months back. My dealer, Whitefield Honda@Bangalore is more customer oriented in these aspects. There are other dealers in Bangalore who objects to every small change, citing warranty.

But the floated feeling does not go away completely though the overall ride is much better after that. I guess I would have to change the rear suspension for the floater to go away.

Last edited by B103 : 20th March 2012 at 15:27.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 17:49   #41
BHPian

[QUOTE
Hyundai Fluidic Verna

The coarse engine noise at high rpm makes nervous tingle. All in all the car is great for city drives but then we donít need a car for city drives do we?

[/quote]

I'm actually surprised with the statement .. one of the major reasons why I felt Verna was a better choice was because Honda's engine makes more noise above 3500 rpm which creeps inside the cabin. I did not feel the same with Verna. Couple of friends who had bought City and test drove the Verna confirmed the same ..
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 19:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
I'm actually surprised with the statement .. one of the major reasons why I felt Verna was a better choice was because Honda's engine makes more noise above 3500 rpm which creeps inside the cabin. I did not feel the same with Verna. Couple of friends who had bought City and test drove the Verna confirmed the same ..
I don't agree with you my friend. Last week I got back from a longish drive on the Expressway and touched 180kmph. There was absolutely no course sound from the engine. On the contrary it begged for more. NVH levels were far more silent than in the Verna which I have driven on multiple occasion (my friend's car) and you are never comfortable taking it over 120kmph. As I said before the stock tyres on the City is too puny for these speeds and these create quite a ruckus.
Old 20th March 2012, 19:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I don't agree with you my friend. Last week I got back from a longish drive on the Expressway and touched 180kmph. There was absolutely no course sound from the engine. On the contrary it begged for more. NVH levels were far more silent than in the Verna which I have driven on multiple occasion (my friend's car) and you are never comfortable taking it over 120kmph. As I said before the stock tyres on the City is too puny for these speeds and these create quite a ruckus.
Well, I'll agree with you ... Honda City is indeed the most silent and best performer car in it's segment .. One might end up spending a little more while buying the City and a bit more during regular maintenance, but what you surely get is a better product overall !!
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 10:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arup, hope you're loving the City Mind mentioning how much the HID Xenon lights set you back by?
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 12:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hi Arup, hope you're loving the City Mind mentioning how much the HID Xenon lights set you back by?
Loving the city (pun not intended). HID's if I could recall correctly, costed me around 19k after some hard bargaining with the dealer. After market rates were slightly on the lower side but I didn't want to risk losing warranty
arup.misra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote