Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th December 2011, 10:26   #31
BHPian

Default Re: A-star Automatic: Features review, EDIT: Mileage Updated

I had reported the following figures in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I have found out (based on change in rpm) that the gear changes in A-star Automatic happens at approximately the following speeds:
1st to 2nd - at 10 km/hr
2nd to 3rd - at 30 km/hr
3rd to 4th - at 50 km/hr
Please note that the above speeds are valid only for light foot driving.

For 'medium foot' driving, the gear changes (approx) are as below:
1st to 2nd - at 15 km/hr
2nd to 3rd - at 35 km/hr
3rd to 4th - at 55 km/hr

For heavy foot driving, shifts happen at a much higher speed.
1st to 2nd - at 25 km/hr or higher
2nd to 3rd - at 45 km/hr or higher
3rd to 4th - at 65 km/hr or higher

All speeds mentioned are approximate, as I measured using the car's "needle" speedometer.
Being aware of these speeds would help you in achieving a better FE.

To summarise the "WHATCAR?" review in the previous post:
Use an A-star Automatic till 90km/hr, and switch to i10 Automatic when you cross 90km/hr.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 30th December 2011 at 10:32.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 17:02   #32
BHPian

One more 'feature': Though the mirror is foldable, it is still not completely foldable, and protrudes like an eye-sore. High time Maruti does something about this mirror.
Old 9th April 2012, 10:16   #33
BHPian

Mileage for long trip calculated over 342 km of long trip with A/C is 18.53 km/liter.
Speeds did not exceed 80 km/hr, but it was spirited driving most of the time (flooring the pedal or shifting to '3' mode).
I am guessing that this is on the lower side, as both up and down journey was during peak day-time traffic with bumper-to-bumper traffic many times.
I would update the long trip mileage again after the next long drive in early morning light traffic.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 9th April 2012 at 10:21.
Old 5th July 2012, 21:10   #34
BHPian

I have asked my dealer-executive to check whether it is possible to convert my rear-seat to split-seats. Split seats were not available one year back when I bought my A-star AT.

I think the only modification needed is to replace the rear-seat-back with the seat-back available in the current A-star. Seat fabric color is different (old is grey, new is beige), but it doesn't matter to me as I would use a seat-cover anyway.

A rear-split seat would provide a huge space advantage for my out-of-town trips. Waiting for a reply from my dealer-executive.
Old 18th September 2012, 13:40   #35
BHPian

Still no update on the seat conversion.

Another feature that I found today:
The starter motor would not crank if the car is in 'Reverse' mode. You would be able to start the car only in 'Neutral' or 'Park'. A safety feature, I guess.
Old 18th September 2012, 14:24   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The starter motor would not crank if the car is in 'Reverse' mode. You would be able to start the car only in 'Neutral' or 'Park'. A safety feature, I guess.
Standard on all ATs. Also, you will find that the D to N movement and vice versa of the shifter does not require you press the button. Also, from other settings (R, 3,2,1) you can move towards D or N without the button but no the reverse.

Many cars also require you press the brake pedal in order to move out of P.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 18:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also, from other settings (R, 3,2,1) you can move towards D or N without the button but no the reverse.
In A-Star Automatic, it is possible to move directly from D to R (through Neutral) while the car is moving, even without pressing the button. Of course, it is mentioned in the manual that gear box would be damaged if you try this. The button is only for releasing from P, as a back up if the battery is down (Normal way of moving out of P is to keep the ignition ON and also the brakes pressed).
Old 19th September 2012, 09:16   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

@jinojohnt; Very surprising, but then lower end ATs tend to be more idiosyncratic.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
For normal city traffic use the D Mode only. Let the car do the downshifting not you.
Lately, the other drivers in the city have been getting more aggressive, but I've still been using the D mode most of the time. However, when joining a busy road from a lane or leaving a parking lot, it's hard to get about without driving on the S mode and manually shifting to 1 and 2 - there are just a few seconds to accelerate to avoid getting hit by another vehicle from the rear. Also, changing lanes in heavy traffic is impossible (the taxi drivers still manage it, but they're like the kamikaze) so the best bet is to get to a traffic light and accelerate quickly on 1st gear in S mode as soon as the light turns green. The S mode limits the shifting to the 4th gear, so the D mode is the only way to use all 6 gears.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 19:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Mileage for long trip calculated over 342 km of long trip with A/C is 18.53 km/liter.
Speeds did not exceed 80 km/hr, but it was spirited driving most of the time (flooring the pedal or shifting to '3' mode).
I am guessing that this is on the lower side, as both up and down journey was during peak day-time traffic with bumper-to-bumper traffic many times.
I would update the long trip mileage again after the next long drive in early morning light traffic.
Interesting to see that you got a mileage of 18.5 on your A Star AT; any update on how you are averaging now and at what total kms clocked. We had bought one 4.1/2 months back and it has done about 3000kms until now(it is our second car now) but has been averaging at around 12. At what stage do you reckon I could expect it to improve?
outdoorlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 10:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Interesting to see that you got a mileage of 18.5 on your A Star AT; any update on how you are averaging now and at what total kms clocked. We had bought one 4.1/2 months back and it has done about 3000kms until now(it is our second car now) but has been averaging at around 12. At what stage do you reckon I could expect it to improve?
My A star AT has ran only 11K in 3 years, as my primary car is an Alto. The recent long drive fetched me only 18 km/liter, even with medium-footed driving. I guess this is the average after the car has aged. Moreover, your driving style would be more mileage-centric during the initial years of ownership.
Your mileage should increase after the first oil change. You should be able to get maximum mileage at about 60 km/hr with light foot driving. (refer my previous post about the speeds at which the gears change).
I plan to replace the air filter and spark plugs every 15 thousand km, since they are cheap and would help in a clean combustion. I also run on synthetic engine oil.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 24th March 2014 at 10:12.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 22:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
My A star AT has ran only 11K in 3 years, as my primary car is an Alto. The recent long drive fetched me only 18 km/liter, even with medium-footed driving. I guess this is the average after the car has aged. Moreover, your driving style would be more mileage-centric during the initial years of ownership.
Your mileage should increase after the first oil change. You should be able to get maximum mileage at about 60 km/hr with light foot driving. (refer my previous post about the speeds at which the gears change).
I plan to replace the air filter and spark plugs every 15 thousand km, since they are cheap and would help in a clean combustion. I also run on synthetic engine oil.
Thanks, jinojohn, that helps! Changing the ar filter and spark plugs at 15km sounds like a good idea too; you can never underestimate the mileage drop with issues with these critical but seemingly simple components.

I also notice from your signature that you are an "automatic fan" like me, but couldn't figure out what your other AT car is? Both of my cars are ATs too
outdoorlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 09:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I also notice from your signature that you are an "automatic fan" like me, but couldn't figure out what your other AT car is? Both of my cars are ATs too
I have only one automatic - the registration number of my second car (manual Alto) starts with KL01 AT
BTW, my Alto has run almost 50K on synthetic oil with AirFilter and Spark Plug changes every 10 to 12K, and it shows on the condition of the car (still drips water from the exhaust, mileage has dropped only around half a km in 6 years).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 25th March 2014 at 09:32.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I think your driving is restricted to city, 12 kmpl with AC seems good. Get your air filter cleaned regularly (every 3 months) and maintain psi of 34-35, you will extract an extra 1 kmpl easily. My mileage was 13 kmpl during the run-in period, but off late it has come down to 11.5-12kmpl due to lower psi (32 at front, 30 at rear), kickdown/aggressive driving, pending 3rd service.

I was able to extract around 20kmpl (T2T) during my drive to Chennai back in February. I maintain speeds of 80km /hr with 30% AC usage, left Bangalore at 5 AM, so that helps.

Quote:
Did you observe any change in engine characteristic or pickup post 3rd service?

I've clocked 8000 kms in my first 8 months of ownership, I somehow feel the oil change should have happened during the 2nd free service, the car struggles (low pickup with AC on, vibration) a bit during peak traffic.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 09:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Did you observe any change in engine characteristic or pickup post 3rd service?
I've clocked 8000 kms in my first 8 months of ownership, I somehow feel the oil change should have happened during the 2nd free service, the car struggles (low pickup with AC on, vibration) a bit during peak traffic.
The engine did feel smoother after the engine oil change (probably because I switched to synthetic), but you can expect some "vibration and low pick-up" as it has a 3-pot motor. You may also want to read this review:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2626338 (A-star Automatic: Features review, EDIT: Mileage Updated)

Last edited by jinojohnt : 27th May 2014 at 09:21.