Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:00   #91
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 84
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

I was torn between the Vento and the Optra when buying my car purely because of the performer that the Optra is and the overall package and cos my wife liked the Vento's looks.
Finally went with the Vento but still hanker after the Optra driving experience sometimes
dingolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 19:07   #92
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 418
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

@NoRules - Are there any rattles, squeaks or any such noises in your car? The optra is a strong contender for my next purchase and I want a car which has tremendous build quality overall. It would be really helpful if you could shed some light on this.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 20:07   #93
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Hey NoRules,

Allow me to congratulate you formally - for this wonderful car and even more so for surviving that ghastly accident. Pardon me for being as late on the thread, but I guess you know about my break.

I have not been able to go through the whole thread properly, but the Optra's qualities seem to have helped you survive the accident. I presume, it's high speed stability and independent suspension would have played a big role too. The suspension being independent and being soft and well tuned, could have played a role in the car not overturning. Actually hitting something on one side at 140 is quite a hit.

Also read about you touching 170kmph in a post before. I really do hope you take adequate care of your tyres and tyre-pressure. It can play a big role in safety while driving at such high speeds.

The car looks as good as new, in the pictures. Your service experience seems to have been quite good on the whole, even in a different city. Hope the car is running niggle free, after the repairs. Hope to see you oftener on the forum, besides taking over the road
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:18   #94
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
Thanks for the detailed review and ownership. Post discussing with you I am planning to get myself a New Optra Magnum. I have test driven it and fell in love with the turbo kick and spacious interiors. I dont plan to sell this car within the next 5 - 6 yrs. Your feedback around the After Sales Service has given me a lot of confidence in proceeding with my decision to buy Optra. Enjoy your stint with the Optra. Happy motoring and wish you many more miles on this amazing machine.
Go for it, sparsh. You will not regret the decision. If you need more hands on trial, you can TDrive my car during the 5th meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
@NoRules - Are there any rattles, squeaks or any such noises in your car? The optra is a strong contender for my next purchase and I want a car which has tremendous build quality overall. It would be really helpful if you could shed some light on this.
I have done close to 10000 kms, some of those on bad rural roads and so far there has been no rattle / squeak or any noise. You can be rest assured about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Hey NoRules,

Allow me to congratulate you formally - for this wonderful car and even more so for surviving that ghastly accident. Pardon me for being as late on the thread, but I guess you know about my break.

Also read about you touching 170kmph in a post before. I really do hope you take adequate care of your tyres and tyre-pressure. It can play a big role in safety while driving at such high speeds.
Thanks Poitive. It is nice to see you back.

The 170 was an aberration. Something I did just for the heck of it. On highways I prefer speeds of 120-130.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
I was torn between the Vento and the Optra when buying my car purely because of the performer that the Optra is and the overall package and cos my wife liked the Vento's looks.
Finally went with the Vento but still hanker after the Optra driving experience sometimes
Vento is not a bad car at all. There are +ves and -ves in both these amazing cars depending on one's preferences. But after launch of Rapid I think it makes more sense to go with Rapid as it is a lot cheaper than Vento.

Last edited by NoRules : 2nd February 2012 at 12:23.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 19:12   #95
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Photos of the accident
Saw the pictures again, mate. Some remarks below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
You are really luck to escape with damage to the car only. 140 kph you go over the sidewalk on a bridge your car could have easily overturned or spun out and hit any oncoming vehicle result of which would be almost surely fatal. Thank your lucky stars and your magnum that you are safe and sound.
Referring to pictures 10-14 in the above post by NoRules, one realizes how very lucky he has been. The car may easily have overturned. Notice that the car rim seems to have hid the sidewalk just between the two "spokes" of the rim and broken from there. That breakage would have taken off a lot of the impact. Had it hit where the spoke is, it may have bounced a lot more, hence overturning.

Luck has been with you, my friend!

Also, as mentioned before, the independent suspension too may have played a role. The impact from the left would have been transferred lesser to the right (rear), hence helping the car retain a fair amount of composure. Am not fully sure of my understanding on this, however. Any of the more technically gifted/educated guys may be able to clarify this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
I was torn between the Vento and the Optra when buying my car purely because of the performer that the Optra is and the overall package and cos my wife liked the Vento's looks.
Finally went with the Vento but still hanker after the Optra driving experience sometimes
While I love the Optra, what you would be enjoying more on the Vento, @dingophie is the agility that car has. If there is one thing that I would want this car to improve in, it would be it's agility, which you do have in the Vento. Would soon be adding more on this on my ownership thread.

Last edited by Poitive : 5th February 2012 at 19:13.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 19:10   #96
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: The Torpedo on road - My Chevrolet Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I suddenly heard a tiny noise and felt the steering wheel go stiff. With great difficulty I turned into my lane and parked near my office. I just did not understand what happened. I immediately called my Maruti A.S.S. friend and he asked me to open the bonnet and check the fluid level of the power steering. I was shocked to see oil spilt all over the engine bay and the power steering fluid container was totally empty.
@NoRules: No news from you for a while, mate. I too had an HPS leak. About 100 kms from Delhi. It was a while back. Have reported here (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)) and have taken the liberty of quoting from your above post, in a subsequent post there.

Hope your car is running well now and has no trouble with the HPS.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 12:25   #97
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The Torpedo on road - My Chevrolet Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@NoRules: No news from you for a while, mate. I too had an HPS leak. About 100 kms from Delhi. It was a while back. Have reported here (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)) and have taken the liberty of quoting from your above post, in a subsequent post there.

Hope your car is running well now and has no trouble with the HPS.
Was waiting to get the 10000 service done before updating. Got the car from service center just now after the 10k service. Extremely happy with the car. No issues at all except for some noise when the steering is turned fully while stationery. Reported the same during the service and after some greasing the sound is gone.

Had a minor incident last week - Was waiting at a U-turn when a bike came and hit my car from rear left side damaging the bumper, side panel and broke the tail lamp. Guess the bike guy was DUI. He fell and got hurt a little, apologised and went off.

Sorry did not take pic of the damage to car.

Claimed the insurance @ HDFC Ergo during 10k service. The cost breakup was as follows:

Tail lamp assembly - Rs.4462.00
Painting charges - Rs.6682.00
Denting charges - Rs.1500.00
Refitting charges - Rs.100.00
Service tax on labour - Rs.853.00
Claim charges - Rs.1000.00

Refund of 50% was given on the tail lamp assembly and 100% on labour charges.

I paid Rs.3287.00 towards all damage repairs including claim charges.

I am loving my car.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 11:49   #98
BHPian
 
Akkiben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Warm Greetings 'NoRules'. Have read thru' the complete thread. Welcome to the Optra Club :-)
I own a 2011 Optra Magnum (Sparkling Diamond). My car has done 15K and is due for the oil and filter replacement.

A big congrats from me on you deciding upon the Magnum. Wish you a safe journey with the Optra always.

Just adding my personal view here. I for one don't like anyone driving my car, Cause i know it better than anyone else would. My advice spend more time driving the car in all conditions (weather and terrain). This will get you more in tune with the cars dynamics and other parameters.
Take Care.


O.T
What is the duration at which the disc pads need replacement....other Optra owners please let me know. Is it normal for lines to appear on the disc rotors??? I can feel it easily with my finger tips.
Akkiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 15:06   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben View Post

What is the duration at which the disc pads need replacement....other Optra owners please let me know. Is it normal for lines to appear on the disc rotors??? I can feel it easily with my finger tips.
There is no fixed duration. It depends on your driving and the conditions you drive in. My front disk pads (inner side) were worn out most - require replacement soon.
The rear ones will run another 5000 km.

The lines are normal, unless they are too deep. They are the milling lines when the disk is planed on the lathe.

BTW. I am getting aftermarket brakepads just to try it out. Found decent ones for 750 a pair(front) as against 3500 OEM. Worth a try. Will chueck them if I have issues
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 02:18   #100
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: The Torpedo on road - My Chevrolet Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
No issues at all except for some noise when the steering is turned fully while stationery. Reported the same during the service and after some greasing the sound is gone.
Thanks for that update, NoRules mate.

When would you hear that sound? Just holding the steering when turned in a stationary car? How would you describe that sound?

Why I am asking is that the HPS fluid incident we both have had, the clamps not being surprisingly appropriate, Torquedo too had reported some issue with the steering noise. Probably Keyur too - just makes things a bit curious.

~~~~~~

I am always concerned when braking a bit hard, about someone hitting me from the rear, as this one decelerates quite rapidly. But in your case it happened while stationary. Thankfully it was only a minor incident and your car is fine now. No further loss with the Insurance NCB either
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 10:22   #101
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The Torpedo on road - My Chevrolet Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Thanks for that update, NoRules mate.

When would you hear that sound? Just holding the steering when turned in a stationary car? How would you describe that sound?

Why I am asking is that the HPS fluid incident we both have had, the clamps not being surprisingly appropriate, Torquedo too had reported some issue with the steering noise. Probably Keyur too - just makes things a bit curious.
The sound, a light grrrrr noise - comes when I rotate the steering completely to take a U-turn or a steep turn just after starting the engine. The service guy told me it had to do with lubrication. After 10k servicing I did not hear the sound.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 23:22   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The Torpedo on road - My Chevrolet Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Thanks for that update, NoRules mate.

When would you hear that sound? Just holding the steering when turned in a stationary car? How would you describe that sound?

Why I am asking is that the HPS fluid incident we both have had, the clamps not being surprisingly appropriate, Torquedo too had reported some issue with the steering noise. Probably Keyur too - just makes things a bit curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
The sound, a light grrrrr noise - comes when I rotate the steering completely to take a U-turn or a steep turn just after starting the engine. The service guy told me it had to do with lubrication. After 10k servicing I did not hear the sound.
I had experimented with this and realized that the sound tends to come when the HPS fluid is filled ABOVE the max level. It seems that on extreme turns or points where extra pressure is applied, the sound tends to emanate if the fluid is a bit more. Try reducing this to between min and max and see if this happens.
This is just and observation!
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 12:40   #103
BHPian
 
Akkiben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
There is no fixed duration. It depends on your driving and the conditions you drive in. My front disk pads (inner side) were worn out most - require replacement soon.
The rear ones will run another 5000 km.

The lines are normal, unless they are too deep. They are the milling lines when the disk is planed on the lathe.

BTW. I am getting aftermarket brakepads just to try it out. Found decent ones for 750 a pair(front) as against 3500 OEM. Worth a try. Will chueck them if I have issues
Thanks Keyur.
Btw, the OEM brake pads are 3500???!!!

O.T
While driving today i heard a noise coming from the front wheel...its sounded like metal screeching...any guesses why this..is it due to the brake pads worn out? The vehicle has done 15K till date.
Akkiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 12:51   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben View Post
Thanks Keyur.
Btw, the OEM brake pads are 3500???!!!

O.T
While driving today i heard a noise coming from the front wheel...its sounded like metal screeching...any guesses why this..is it due to the brake pads worn out? The vehicle has done 15K till date.
Front OEM brake pads are Rs.3500 (I suppose taxes and labour would be extra)
The rear ones are even more expensive (5K if I remember correctly).

The screeching sound could be because of 2 reasons :

1. Worn out pads
2. A stone or some debris stuck between the covering plate (behind the disc) and the disc itself. This can be resolved by taking a thin rod or bar or blade and dislodging the debris from where it is stuck.
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:08   #105
BHPian
 
Akkiben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Front OEM brake pads are Rs.3500 (I suppose taxes and labour would be extra)
The rear ones are even more expensive (5K if I remember correctly).

The screeching sound could be because of 2 reasons :

1. Worn out pads
2. A stone or some debris stuck between the covering plate (behind the disc) and the disc itself. This can be resolved by taking a thin rod or bar or blade and dislodging the debris from where it is stuck.
Turns out it was pads worn out completely!!! I went with the OEM pads this time...gotta start searching out @J.C road for suitable aftermarket replacement pads now.
Akkiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too many problems with my new Chevrolet Optra Magnum sreejinair Technical Stuff 106 5th August 2016 18:04
Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!! beanstalk_230 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 506 22nd January 2015 11:56
Hyundai Verna Fluidic Vs. Chevrolet Optra Magnum vs Chevrolet Cruze soulweaver Sedans 55 3rd October 2011 10:48
New Alloys for Chevrolet optra Magnum LT sunster Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 20 12th September 2008 14:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks