Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 12:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report

As life moves on the priorities in ones life change. When I turned 19 my Mom and Dad gifted me my Civic which has been the best car I have owned till date. Ever since I got the car I have been modding it and fulfilling all my dreams on it, be it making it sound good or making it look good or making it go fast. The last mod of turbo charging has been the best so far and the car became and absolute joy to drive, in this time I had also picked up a Honda City VTEC( Threads in the Modification section) which I intended to make a "FAST" mental sort of a car. While both these cars progress, it was time for me to join my family business.

I used to take the Civic to office everyday and to meetings with clients but soon realized that this car is best suited to drive out at nights with friends wearing casuals. Somebody wearing formals stepping out of that car looked very odd. Plus my dad was after my life not to show up at clients in that. He told me to get myself a new car.

With the rising fuel costs this new car had to be a Diesel, moreover I had with me two nice Petrol cars so I did not mind picking up a diesel. Now Diesel was finalized next thing which automatically got finalized was the Automatic transmission. I have two Diesels with me a Swift and a BMW E60, though u cant compare the both but driving both of them made one thing clear, a Diesel car had to a Automatic, a Diesel manual is a pain in traffic. You need to constantly playing with gears and the same gets irritating after a while.

DIESEL AUTOMATIC budget upto 20L rupees. The options in my wind were narrowed down to only a few.

1. Chevrolet Cruze Automatic

So I decided and left for MAthura road Delhi, Mohan Corp Ind estate where all showroom are located and decided to Td all the cars. Went in to the Chevrolet showroom first. Saw a black cruze A/T and was immediately bowled over by the looks. That thing looks like a STUD straight out of a GYM. The thick shoulder lines sharp styling impressed me at first look. Stepped inside and the interiors were good as well with Black Leather seats and Titanium stitching. The Rear legroom was a disappointment though, My civic has more legroom compared to this, but this was not a concern as this would be driven by me individually only and I didn't plan to have any rear passengers as such. The car had a long equipment list like Auto Sensing wipers, cruise control sunroof etc etc. The On-road price of the car was well in my budget and I walked out of the showroom almost convinced. Sadly they did not have a Test drive Auto vehicle and had a manual only. Still took it out for a small drive but could not judge much as the AT was the vehicle I wanted to buy.

2. Skoda Laura

After the cruze experience I was honestly convinced but wanted to check out other options so walked into a Skoda Showroom. Honestly the Skoda Horror stories were in my head and Skoda still cannot convinced me to buy any of their products. Walked in, I saw the car and started to pin point the bad stuff about it, funny lights etc etc and simply walked out without inquiring much.

3. Toyotal Corolla D4D

Rejected due to non availability of a Diesel Auto

4. VW Jetta

The car was due for replacement hence was not considered.

So the Cruze automatic was decided as my next car. Went to Metro Chevrolet in Safdurjung next morning which is right behind my house with a cheque in hand and the intention to book the car. Walked in and was greeted nicely by the staff. Fortunately they had a Auto test drive vehicle so went for a TD first. Took the car out and immediately smiled at my self for the right decision I had made. the AT moved nicely with power right from 1800 RPM, and once in the turbo band it moved FAST. No time we were doing 100 KM/hr, the car masked speeds, One cannot judge how fast you are moving. Nice high speed stability, though I hated the tires, first upgrade already planned Brakes were nice and gave you confidence while pushing the car. I was completely sold over this car. Came back and handed the sales guy the booking amount cheque. Called mom to come see the car. The Color choice was an isssue though.

Mom said a no to White as we already had a White Civic. I persoanlly liked the Diamond white color but mom was strictly against it. Blue/Silver/Gold were also rejected again due to the same reasons. We were left with only the Black or the Grey. Black was again rejected because we don't purchase Black cars in my family reason best known to them only. So no choice but the Grey was finalized. Saw the color and looked good to me as well. Car in this color and spec was in stock with the dealership, He was kind enough to hold that car for me till the Bank financed my deal.

I went for Tata Captial finance for the loan, Processing was very smooth as I had recently completed my Civic with the same company, a clean track record meant my Loan amount was done in no time. The dealership offered me a discount of 30000/- on the insurance and the car costed me 16,17,000/- on road with a few freebies like mud flaps etc. I did not take any other accessory from them.

Went for a PDI with the list from TBHP, that helped me a lot. Checked the car in and out, my driver was with me and he was satisfied with the same. The Car had 17 KMs on the ODO. Everything ok and the car was ready for delivery. Delivery was delayed by me because my younger brother was on a holiday in GOA, he was after my life to take delivery only after he was back. I picked him up from the airport and went straight to the dealership for delivery. Delivery process was smooth and car was ready once we reached. Papers were signed and I was a proud owner for a CHEVROLET CRUZE A/T

The car looked lovely in the color we choose. The interiors were nice and clean. I got into the car and was honestly surprised to find that none of the Mirrors have an AUTO UP feature. I mean this was the most ridiculous thing ever. HOw much more would have the car cost with this relay? a thousand rupees ?? Other features I miss on the car

1. Front Parking sensors
2. Electric seats
3. Remote closing of mirrors using the remote.

Another emission is the car has only one Trip computer, even my Swift has two. Also when you engage reverse the volume of the stereo should automatically dim so we can hear the rear sensors beeping. One has to manually mute the speakers every time while reversing the car. The interior quality of some parts is not upto the mark. The driver height adjustment lever feels very cheap indeed. The gloss black finish on the center console though looks classy but will get scratched easily on the long term usage front. Replacement with CF panels soon

The features I love is the Keyless entry and go, simply eradicates the need of even unlocking the car with the remote. Becomes very convenient sometimes when the hands are full. Sunroof and cruise control make long drives an absolute delight. Visit to the gas stations puts a smile every time. The car returned a healthy 10 Km/LT on the first tank full. With this power and auto transmission I was satisfied with these figures.

Last edited by m4ugr8 : 2nd November 2011 at 16:28.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report

Completed Run-in process in about 15 Days, I loved it and was driving it everyday unnecessarily also

First service I got the oil changed, This thing drinks around 6 LTs of oil, company recommends synthetic so the first bill was around 7000/- with wheel alignment and balancing.

After run-in took the car for a trip to manali with noidaboy and another friend and it performed fantastically. Being a automatic it never got stuck anywhere which was a surprise. We took it all the way till rohtang pass road, before we were stopped. The Sunroof was a delight in Manali, chilly weather and it was all in the car. Some Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09634.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09660.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09663.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09668.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09673.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09873.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09882.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09763.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09766.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-dsc09775.jpg  

m4ugr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 12:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mods done on the car till now

1. 3D Kagu Mats
2. Philips 6000k H4 Headlight HIDs
3. Philips 6000k H11 Fog Light HIDs
4. Philips Parking bulbs
5. Philips DRLs.

All done from Motor Concept in New Delhi, lovely new store which has everything under one roof.

Last edited by m4ugr8 : 14th September 2011 at 12:54.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wowieee... Sand Drift Grey on Cruze = Total Drool maal stuff!

Congrats on your new toy, m4ugr8. Was expecting this initial report from you. Wish you thousands of happy miles with your new Chevy!
Old 14th September 2011, 13:21   #5
BHPian

Congrats for the diesel beast purchase.
Atleast we got short ownership from you a lil late but it's nice.
considering delhi traffic automatic was good choice but manual could have been fun to drive.
Good upgrade of lights which is must i suppose as factory fitted bulbs are hardly good.
enjoy the drive. wish you churning thousands of miles.
Nice pics. some interior pics would be fantastic.
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

10000 KMs up on the car and it was time to change the tires on this baby. I wanted to this ever since the car came home. I almost had a crash when I tried braking at high speeds on these hopeless JK tires. thankfully got out any damage.

I got the tires and rims changed for 17" HRS wheels and 225/50/17 Advan Sport Tires. Have a look. Better quality pictures soon.
Attached Thumbnails
My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-img2011102800123.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-img2011102800124.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-img2011102800126.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-img2011102800127.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-img2011102800128.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-img2011102800129.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-img2011102800130.jpg  

My New Daily Drive : Chevy Cruze A/T plus 5000KMs Initial report-img2011102800125.jpg  

m4ugr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

The car is looking hot buddy. And the tyre choice is brilliant. How much did you pay for them? These tyres will never give up on you no matter how much stress you put on them, believe me
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:08   #8
BANNED

Congrats on buying one of the most flamboyant cars in its segment in India today.
A few queries:
What is your current FE and at what speeds?
The new tires are quite low in their profile. How is the ride quality?
The GC of the Cruze has been a pain point for a few owners. Have you faced any issues with a full load of passengers?
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the diesel rocket. The alloys look awesome. One of the best I have seen on a cruze. 10k kms in 2 months! Phew! You have been driving a lot.

Whats the FE now? And do post some interior pics.
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:07   #10
BHPian

Hey M4ugr8, congrats on the rocket. IMHO, this is the best colour in cruze. +1 to drmohitg, please post interior pics.

How do you find the shifts of the auto transmission of the cruze? How do you find the ride quality after changing to the 17" tyres?

Recently saw a grey cruze with the front grill in chrome and chrome around the fog lamps as well. Changed the look of the car totally. Are you aware if the dealer offers this?
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The car is looking hot buddy. And the tyre choice is brilliant. How much did you pay for them? These tyres will never give up on you no matter how much stress you put on them, believe me
Thank You, you seem to be talking from experience, I am sure these tires will do be good and serve me well

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on buying one of the most flamboyant cars in its segment in India today.
A few queries:
What is your current FE and at what speeds?
The new tires are quite low in their profile. How is the ride quality?
The GC of the Cruze has been a pain point for a few owners. Have you faced any issues with a full load of passengers?
Current FE in the last tank to tank was 9.6 KM/LT with a mix of heavy traffic and late night spirited driving. Ride quality has become stiff but nothing thats unbearable. I am honestly the last person who should say anything about Ride quality as the other cars that I have run Low profile and stiffer aftermarket suspension. Compared to them this car still feels very good. GC is a pain for sure, I have managed to damage the running board of the car. Cant comment on full load capacity as honestly this has never taken full load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congrats on the diesel rocket. The alloys look awesome. One of the best I have seen on a cruze. 10k kms in 2 months! Phew! You have been driving a lot.

Whats the FE now? And do post some interior pics.
Thanks, yes driving this a LOT. FE is around 9-10 KM/LT. More Pics coming soon, stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Hey M4ugr8, congrats on the rocket. IMHO, this is the best colour in cruze. +1 to drmohitg, please post interior pics.

How do you find the shifts of the auto transmission of the cruze? How do you find the ride quality after changing to the 17" tyres?

Recently saw a grey cruze with the front grill in chrome and chrome around the fog lamps as well. Changed the look of the car totally. Are you aware if the dealer offers this?
Thanks, I agree this color does look HOT. Shifts are nice, but does jerk sometimes but smooth overall. Ride quality has stiffened up. Yes I am aware of the chrome accessories but I am not a big fan of chrome stuff.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:24   #12
BHPian

Smoking hot alloys!!! I can't really express how good they are looking on the cruze. Amazing choice and you have given me a good reference point for my future alloys upgrade.

So how is the steering feel and the overall dynamics of the car with these new tyres??

Oh and lots of congrats for this beauty!
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Manan.
The car with these alloys definitely looks awesome.
Which is more Fun to Drive?A Stock Civic or a Stock Cruze?

So now when does the modding process start?
M4UGR8 having a car without any mods doesnt digest!:P

Petes/Spider Tuning Box.
CF Panels.
ICE.

Please post pictures with the new E Class type Tails.

Last edited by cityvic : 3rd November 2011 at 16:45.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Thank You, you seem to be talking from experience, I am sure these tires will do be good and serve me well
I have the same tyres in the same size on my Accord. So yes from experience. They are a bit soft so be careful for punctures over bad roads.
Old 5th November 2011, 13:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Smoking hot alloys!!! I can't really express how good they are looking on the cruze. Amazing choice and you have given me a good reference point for my future alloys upgrade.

So how is the steering feel and the overall dynamics of the car with these new tyres??

Oh and lots of congrats for this beauty!
Thank You, Trust me pictures dont do justise. These look good in person. Cant find time to click some High Res photos. Overall dynamics have improved a lot, like I said high speed stability is in a different league. I am really happy with the car and the tire upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congrats Manan.
The car with these alloys definitely looks awesome.
Which is more Fun to Drive?A Stock Civic or a Stock Cruze?

So now when does the modding process start?
M4UGR8 having a car without any mods doesnt digest!:P

Petes/Spider Tuning Box.
CF Panels.
ICE.

Please post pictures with the new E Class type Tails.
Difficult choice, personally I prefer manual Petrols so the Stock Civic anyday. Well yes, Stock cars dont look good to me, plus these mods are like stock only. Pictures coming soon. No Tuning box on this, I am happy with the amount of power this has got, need to complete the City turbo first and get the forged internals on the civic before performance mods on this

CF Panels soon, ICE also I am kind of happy. Maybe after sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I have the same tyres in the same size on my Accord. So yes from experience. They are a bit soft so be careful for punctures over bad roads.
Oh lovely, point taken. BTW congrats on your BMW 320D, Car looks smoking hot in that color. Amazing choice.
m4ugr8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed