Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st September 2011, 15:50   #31
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Vista VX Our new White Stallion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post

ACM, Thanks!
Coming to ripping the engine a bit to improve the feel and stay longer within the turbo range, well, guess i am driving too sedately because its too new..I dont want to stretch the engine to its limits yet, slowly, i'll get there

On the baby comment, yes, i am guilty of driving sometimes within the residential colony, home to park etc. the 16 month kiddo is so used to it, he refuses to sit elsewhere. Car seat is installed, but only his mom can get him into it. I'll take some time to get him out of the lap, or, hope he outgrows it
BigVishnu -

I belive your varient has dual front airbags.

An Airbag deploys even at speeds as low as 30 kmph in case of an accident. It will deploy even if we are at 10 kmph and the car from the opposite end is at 20 kmph translating to a net of 30 kmph difference.

Some Passenger side Airbags can be switched off. If the kido happens to be on the passenger side often then pls keep the passenger side airbag switched off.

If a car seat is not used and the kid is in the hands of the passenger then definately the passenger must wear a seatbelt - which ever seat he or she may be seated in.

A kid below 5 in the front seat when an Airbag deploys is at a great risk due to the airbag than due to any accident itself. An Airbag explodes in a micro sec frame of time with a loud impact and the seatbelt too is necessary.

Needless to say the situation is worse on the drivers seat where the airbag is closer (within the steering wheel itself).

I think we all need to loose some love with the kid but insist on the rear seat.

Driver seat double seat is a BIG NO NO.
If passenger side seat double seat (wife + kid) is the best that can be managed get the airbag switched off on that side permanently. The Service Centre can do it for you if it is not a feature.

This is just out of concern and nothing more. Hope you never need to deploy any airbags in your lifetime.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 16:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
BigVishnu -

I belive your varient has dual front airbags.

This is just out of concern and nothing more. Hope you never need to deploy any airbags in your lifetime.
ACM.. Totally appreciate the concern, and glad am part of a community that cares for the fellow members. coming to Airbags.. VZ doesnt have them, only ZX comes with Airbags. Trying hard to get out of the double seating mode in the meanwhile, am sure i will be successful soon
bigvishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vishu.
Spotted your Vista in the evening in hsr layout, it was parked in lane which connect the sector 1 to BDA complex.
I slowed down, but didnt see anyone around to continued .
The car looked nice, specailly the black part in the rear does make it look kool.
Get some nice alloys bro, your ride will look awesome.
Also didnt noticed any number plates in your ride,get them soon man, otherwise these cops will unnecessary trouble you .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Recommendation of buying a Vista Refresh VX and CEO resignation - how are they linked so directly and instantly , pls can you explain ?
This is surely OT but will answer you nevertheless. Not sure whether you read the CEO resignation thread,but it threw some very interesting insights on the QC at Tata Motors which perfectly explains the niggles, component failures etc with Tata Cars.

Being a Tata fan and supporter of Indian manufacturers, I very much like the Manza & Vista for the practicality of the design and VFM offering. Generally thought that the QC issue could be with the workers at the plant. So, did not mind recommending it to friends after warning them about the niggles and need for frequent trips to TASS.

The thread however, seems to suggest a fundamental problem with the approach to QC with the management at TML plants (not the design houses) and their vendors. This got me thinking and I even wonder whether I should recommend it any more. They may get away with the approach with regards to insignificant parts but dread to think if the same philosophy applies with critical parts.

The soothing factor though is that some of the insights from the thread may seems to be a year or two old and things could have changed for the better as quality improves with every refresh but so does the cost.

FWIW, I own a Manza myself which has done 12k kms and much better built than any Tata cars. It is a nicely designed practical car but niggles have been irritating. I have replaced the power window switches twice, combination switch once (the replacement seems even worse and indicator auto cut off does not work) , wiper blades thrice, the A/c recirculation vane motor once all under warranty. The dashboard, front fog lamps rattles a lot. TASS is unable to fix anything even after I point the exact location of the rattle to them. I fix one issue by DIY, the rattle is heard from the other part of the dashboard.
Appreciate TASS replacing them under warranty but between each service, I have to bear a lot of these irritating issues.

BigVishnu
Apologies for the thread diversion.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 23rd September 2011 at 23:53.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 13:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Hi Vishu.
Spotted your Vista in the evening in hsr layout, it was parked in lane which connect the sector 1 to BDA complex.
I slowed down, but didnt see anyone around to continued .
The car looked nice, specailly the black part in the rear does make it look kool.
Get some nice alloys bro, your ride will look awesome.
Also didnt noticed any number plates in your ride,get them soon man, otherwise these cops will unnecessary trouble you .

Cheers

Schoudhury... Man.. your guess was spot on.. it was my car. i take the little one to the park over there every evening (try to be as punctual as i can).. stop by next time you see it, i'll be in the children's play area.

Alloys.. a bit low on Vit M.. will get soon
Number Plates - Concorde motors is taking its own sweet time, citing delays in the RTO's end to get it registered. hopefully will be done this week (someone from Concorde just came and took the chassis number impression). I have a TR, will the cops still trouble me? dont know much about how that part of the stuff works around bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
This is surely OT but will answer you nevertheless.
BigVishnu
Apologies for the thread diversion.
Sridhar, No Issues, this topic is sure worth a discussion. my perspective is that there have been issues, and seeing Vista and Manza, and now the Aria, i wan to believe that TM is on a get well plan. CEO leaving at this stage is sure a cause of concern, but i am sure the "Get well plan" will get them some respect, and folks will be willing to forgive and forget the past.

Done with 700 kms... waiting for first service. Anything I need to watch out for in specific for the 1st service? is it advisable that i stay around.
Old 24th September 2011, 13:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Schoudhury... Man.. your guess was spot on.. it was my car. i take the little one to the park over there every evening (try to be as punctual as i can).. stop by next time you see it, i'll be in the children's play area.

Alloys.. a bit low on Vit M.. will get soon

Done with 700 kms... waiting for first service. Anything I need to watch out for in specific for the 1st service? is it advisable that i stay around.
Just completed my first service today, gave it to Prerana at Kudlu Gate, gave back the car within 3 hours, nothing major done, just greasing & usual top up of all the liquids. The impression was Ok (Saying this since Suruksha Motors really wow'd me in their first service). You may also do your service there if u wish

So you are staying in HSR? I also frequent that road but have not spoted your car as yet. Quite a few bhpians live in this area i think.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 07:19   #37
BHPian

Folks.. i got a bad FE of 11.3 on the second tank full! not sure if it is just the outer ring road B2B traffic, or something else that is amiss too!

Total distance done - 1003. No new niggles of issues except the bottom scrapes a cpl times. Heading out to Concorde for First service, will report back after the service.

Cheers!
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks.. i got a bad FE of 11.3 on the second tank full! not sure if it is just the outer ring road B2B traffic, or something else that is amiss too!

Total distance done - 1003. No new niggles of issues except the bottom scrapes a cpl times. Heading out to Concorde for First service, will report back after the service.

Cheers!
All the best with the service, how is the clutch operation, is it hard or anything unusual observed?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
All the best with the service, how is the clutch operation, is it hard or anything unusual observed?
No, didn't find anything unusual with the clutch Maverick! Anything you noticed on your car?

Service Done! took all of 3.5 hours. For all that folks say about Tata's A**, had an excellent experience. Process being followed to the core, all items on the checklist done, and the SA went out of his way to identify new minor issues and get them sorted.

I had asked for oil change at the 1K km service, but the SA, and many more SAs came to me and clarified that it was not required at all. So for now, i let it be.

Cost - Nil
Experience - 5 *****
Result, to be seen

Also, if you remember, in one of my earlier pics, i had posted that the doors on the passenger side were not 100% aligned, and there was a 5-6 mm alignment gap, that has been fixed too.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, didn't find anything unusual with the clutch Maverick! Anything you noticed on your car?

Service Done! took all of 3.5 hours. For all that folks say about Tata's A**, had an excellent experience. Process being followed to the core, all items on the checklist done, and the SA went out of his way to identify new minor issues and get them sorted.

I had asked for oil change at the 1K km service, but the SA, and many more SAs came to me and clarified that it was not required at all. So for now, i let it be.

Cost - Nil
Experience - 5 *****
Result, to be seen

Also, if you remember, in one of my earlier pics, i had posted that the doors on the passenger side were not 100% aligned, and there was a 5-6 mm alignment gap, that has been fixed too.
Great to hear that you had a good experience, which service station did you visit? I did not have such a good experience with Prerana Kudlugate, well i had to go some 3 times to the station. Twice for a clutch issue that was observed later after the service was done, so they changed the master cylinder. the clutch was really hard back then, now its become super light. And the 3rd time i went was to get the speedo housing cleaned up as the 3m guys had applied something on the transparent area which caused a white film to be formed. So for me the overall experience was not good but Ok.

I too inquired about the oil change but since they are using Mobil1 synthetic oil the service interval is more.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:25   #41
BHPian

Maverick.. i will watch the clutch closely and report back. What exactly were the 3m guys upto near the speedo?

also, reg the oil, you mention that they use Mobil1 synthetic, do you mean that the new car came with synthetics? i read in these forums somewhere that for the first 10K, it is recommended we do not use synthetics, hence the question.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:55   #42
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car bigvishnu. Porcelain White is the best color for this vehicle, great choice.

I have been driving Vista (Aura ABS) and have clocked nearly 20,000 kms. Vista has soft suspensions and they tend to painful on speed breakers when fully loaded. However, the plus side is that I do not slow down for smaller speed breakers while driving solo. The vehicle just eats up smaller pot holes and you can comfortably cruise through them. So you need to be careful as it have it's +tives and -tives.

Your fuel efficiency will improve with time (but a lot depends on your daily route and traffic as well). I get around 15 kmpl in bangalore city easily. The best I got was 23 on my recent visit to Chennai.

One more thing that you will observe is that you can drive on third gear at lower speeds (around 20) without pressing the accelerator. This is a boon in traffic situations. Enjoy your ride..
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 10:05   #43
BHPian

after the first service at 1000 kms, the car's throttle response seems to be opening up a bit. 3rd gear feels smoother, and range of speed has increased. in my earlier DLG turbo, i need to come down to 2nd gear every time my speed comes down, now, i can continue on 3rd without struggling at all.

also, what i am loving about the car, in the evenings is, every time i am approaching the car and unlock it, the cabin lights turn on, even before i open the door. its a nice, warm, welcoming feeling!

done another half tank full - hopefully the FE gets better. Also, a silly question, going around at speeds less than 25-30 kmph for long duration (15 mins or more), will it negatively affect FE?

BTW... RIP Steve Jobs!
Old 7th October 2011, 16:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
after the first service at 1000 kms, the car's throttle response seems to be opening up a bit. 3rd gear feels smoother, and range of speed has increased. in my earlier DLG turbo, i need to come down to 2nd gear every time my speed comes down, now, i can continue on 3rd without struggling at all.
the third gear of the Vista QJD is very versatile and useful. you can use it for cruising at around 18-20kmph (around 1000 rpm) without use of clutch. this is very useful in slow moving traffic. just tapping the accelerator would bring the speed up (with a few seconds of lag till around 1400RPM).

Even the second gear is very useful in slower traffic. it has a range starting from around 5kmph.

even in fourth gear, it can cruise at a little above 30kmph (1000 rpm) without applying any clutch. the engine sounds slightly different but there is no loss of power. but here if you want sudden acceleration there is a slightly longer lag till 1400-1500 rpm. Otherwise its suitable in situations where you do not need to accelerate suddenly.

you can find the minimum in-gear speeds of your car by testing it in all gears in an empty road. the minimum RPM at those speeds is usually 1000 or slightly lesser. you can combine this info with engine breaking for a comfortable ride and increased FE.

Quote:
Also, a silly question, going around at speeds less than 25-30 kmph for long duration (15 mins or more), will it negatively affect FE?
as long as the car is in the right gear (no clutch use) it should not affect the FE much. thats the speed in typical city conditions and Vista is designed for tackling this. just keep an eye on the speed and RPM for the gear and change gears on time.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 09:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
the third gear of the Vista QJD is very versatile and useful.

you can find the minimum in-gear speeds of your car by testing it in all gears in an empty road. the minimum RPM at those speeds is usually 1000 or slightly lesser. you can combine this info with engine breaking for a comfortable ride and increased FE.

as long as the car is in the right gear (no clutch use) it should not affect the FE much. thats the speed in typical city conditions and Vista is designed for tackling this.
And I couldn't agree more. I love the new gear box on this vehicle, making it really difficult to stall!
TSEA is offline   Reply With Quote