Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st September 2011, 07:27   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Fluidic Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
err. As an owner of Baleno and Optra I would like to disagree here.

phamilyman,

I own a Baleno and also Optra.

There is just no comparison. Optra is miles ahead of Baleno in every department except the AC and driver's seat comfort where Baleno scores but Baleno fails terribly in handling speed and GC.
Oh that's very useful. I've only taken it for spins - not a 500km drive, so yes, my perception is based on the handling and the feel at say 60-80 kph as a driver. But btw, an oil sump issue on the Optra did highlight that its practical GC was not much. How has your experience been on this account?

Of course, the comfort in the Optra is leagues ahead as I agree too
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 07:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic Disappointment. And SOLD!

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2011 at 16:13.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 21st September 2011, 07:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

I feel that OP should at least once "somehow manage" to get a TD of Linea. Then he will be making an informed decision.

I am also against changing the suspension of Verna. It will invite a whole lot of problems. Especially warranty issues. Its not a job to be taken lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think the above description would suit a Sipani D-1, which also I have owned in the past.
Can we have an ownership thread with lots of pics?
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 07:46   #64
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I feel that OP should at least once "somehow manage" to get a TD of Linea. Then he will be making an informed decision.

I am also against changing the suspension of Verna. It will invite a whole lot of problems. Especially warranty issues. Its not a job to be taken lightly.

Originally Posted by Durango Dude
I think the above description would suit a Sipani D-1, which also I have owned in the past.

Can we have an ownership thread with lots of pics?
Sipani D-1 ownership was before the dawn of the digicam era and no one in his right senses go the distance and waste a film roll on the biggest lemon India has ever produced. Sorry for going OT. I want to forget the biggest automotive nightmare and no repeat the same mistake again.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 21st September 2011 at 07:49.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 07:58   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomonstar View Post
The second major beef I 've had with the car is the suspension.
I knew beforehand that the suspension would be on the softer side, but this was just ridiculous.
Any unexpected pothole, even at speeds as low as 30kmph would be met with a loud 'THWACK' coming in from the undercarriage.

It was an alarming sound, almost as if something had broken off from the car.
I strongly suspect that this sound is from the steering rack or column and it is a case of Hyundai's classic steering rattle issue. It will sound like "thud thud" and will feel like something is banging against something. It is the same sound that exists in i20s when the car is driven on rough roads or if the car goes into a pothole. The steering rattle issue in i20s has been discussed quite thoroughly here on team-bhp and many owners have reported it. Hyundai has just stopped short of accepting it is a manufacturing/design defect in the steering system. Just for the heck of it, ask the workshop fellows if the same issue has been reported in i20s or not. If they deny it, well you know they are lying shamelessly.

Quote:
I called up the dealer and he suggested I show it to the workshop fellows for a lookover.
The workshop people could not find anything wrong.
One of them had the audacity to lecture me on the 'correct ' way to drive.
HA! I told them with all modesty that Id been driving for nearly two decades, a variety of cars, in a variety of countries.
I think I'd know if my driving needed adjustment.

Anyway, as each day passed, the thought of carrying on a full three years in this car became more and more unbearable.

I drive around 30KM per day, and had clocked 800 KM already.
I called up the dealer and said I wanted to dispose off my car.
He was surprised, but was helpful and promised to let me know if he came across any interested parties.
!
Believe me when I say this, Hyundai is least bothered about a customer's concerns. Although I am not surprised, their indifferent attitude towards you selling your new car just proves this. I kept on fighting against them over the steering rattle issue in my i20. In the end, not only did they purposely damage my car but they also labelled me as a crazy fellow and jhik jhik waala. Like you, those jokers in the Hyundai workshop even questioned my way of driving.

The whole issue now is in the consumer court, which I don't know when will come up for hearing.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 21st September 2011 at 08:05.
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 10:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

If diesel alone is your criteria, then you have made a good choice. Optra is dated no doubt, but the specs seem to scream performance. Personally, I do not like the looks of it. Also, the service/spare parts cost is kind of a dicey situation.

However, if petrol is an option, I would have strongly recommended the Linea TJet. One drive in that car and you are hooked on forever. It is not just difficult, but impossible to drive any other petrol car after the Jet. Given Fiat's legendary vault like build, it just adds 'weight' to the argument. However, here again A** is doubted.

I personally did not like the handling of Verna (no feedback from the car) or the drive of the Vento (sluggish and slow power delivery). I did not TD the New City or the New Fiesta as they were both not in my radar.

P.S. I liked your 0-10 scale as well as the Poor-Excellent rating!
Quote:
@ Jinojohnt.....

I have driven my friend's Petrol Linea, the emotion pak version. It has very good handling. Although I found it to be under powered. I hear the T Jet version is good.
However, when it came to checking out the diesel version, I had a very bad NON experience.
The Fiat Showroom is only about a couple of KM from when I stay.
I called up their showroom to check if they had a diesel available for the TD.
The receptionist said the sales guy for Linea is not available , she took down my name and number and promised to get back to me. No one called the whole day.Next day, I went down to the showroom myself.But apparently the sales people didnt seem interested. I told them I wasnt interested in knowing the details on the car as I have already experienced them when driving my friend's car. I was only interested in taking a TD of the vehicle, and I needed to take it soon as I wanted to close this issue and make a choice ASAP. The sales guy said he didnt have the diesel variant and was trying to push me to take TD of the Petrol variant.
I thanked him for his time and asked him to get in touch when he had a diesel car for a test drive. This happened last saturday, and I still havent heard from them.....

I guess they not interested in making a sale.
Too late, in any case, as I have booked my Optra.
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 11:54   #67

[

Ya make sure the Optra does not become a second disappointment.
IMO td Fiesta, Vento & even Linea 1.3MJD before taking delivery. All these cars handle much better than Optra.[/quote]

I have TD the vento, the Linea people havent yet bothered to get back to me in spite of calling them and visiting their showroom.
I have driven the petrol Linea for a couple of hundred Km... although the handling is very good, I think its seriously underpowered.
Not expecting a great deal from the Diesel either.
The Fiesta, has black interiors.... and thats the major let down for me. I will not buy any car with black interiors. Period.
I have taken an extensive TD of the Optra, subjecting it to all sorts of driving styles, from sedate in heavy traffic roads to pot hole ridden by lanes to the sea link stretch. I am very pleased with the handling and driving dynamics.
Also, I plan to keep this car for 3 - 3.5 years at the most.. No more.
The Optra is costing me 10,30,000 OTR Mumbai registration. The Vento has launched a new Highline version with inbuilt parking sensors and steering mounted controls. The cost is 11,40,000.
The top of the line New Fiesta is somewhere in 12,50,000 region.
I would have preferred an automatic transmission, but if I have to make do with a manual transmission, Id rather look for value AND performance.
The Optra is excellent VFM for me.
phenomonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 11:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mistake No. 4 : And this one is the BIGGEST. You sold the car in a 1,000 clicks! Sure sounds like an impulsive decision to me, and a very poor one at that. Remember, the suspension of most globally sold cars is the easiest to sort out. Reason? Super after-market support. For 50,000 rupees (or less), you could have gotten yourself after-market dampers & springs that would have transformed the handling of your Verna. In fact, with a tyre upgrade + performance suspension, the handling & dynamics would have beaten / been on par with any C & C+ segment sedan. Again, I insist that the soft suspension is easy to fix...far easier than what some of the competitors suffer from (reliability, cramped interiors etc.).
All things equal, aftermarket suspension would help but your post makes it sound as if suspension is all one needs for a good handling car. In an everyday car the challenge is to get the balance of both right and even if its a compromise, its an agreeable compromise.
Handling is as much factor of a well engineered chassis and steering as it is of suspension. Lately Hyundai's been making terrific looking cars but when it comes to real engineering that actually makes a car they fail. I mean look at the recipe - 16 inch low profile tyres, stonker of an engine, nice looks and but still it fails!
akhilesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 13:00   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But btw, an oil sump issue on the Optra did highlight that its practical GC was not much. How has your experience been on this account?
My Optra has so far done 2300 kms and the bottom did not scrape even once. The same speed breakers where Baleno used to scrape Optra took them with ease. Only issue I found is the front bumper, esp on steep inclines there is this plastic part which hits the road but with a little careful driving even that can be avoided.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 13:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

If you want a drivers car, stick to a Ford or a Fiat.

The move from the Verna to a Optra is like moving from a small speed boat to a slightly larger and faster speed boat. The end result, your still piloting a boat. A more dangerous one at that.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 14:02   #71
BHPian

@phenomonstar- Welcome to Chevy Family! I have been driving Optra Magnum TCDI for over an year now and driving in this monster is sheer pleasure.

Very interesting thread and I am amazed by the replies here, especially when fellow bhpians are trying to list pros & cons of various cars. We need to understand that phenomonstar has already sold the Verna and booked an Optra Magnum- let's use this space to learn from his experience. Please remember that he is not asking which car to buy?

Last edited by drive_or_die : 21st September 2011 at 14:08.
drive_or_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 14:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

other option to cruze i think will be TJET. in price difference of almost 4 lacs u will get 5500 lts of petrol to run 85000 kms + nirvana driving experience.
amit_mechengg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 14:45   #73
BHPian

When I first read your post, I felt you over reacted a bit. But, I drove the Verna yesterday and it truly does not handle well. I was comparing it with the Accent that we own which is 2 generations old. The car reminded me of the saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with ********." My friend who bought it was mesmerized by it and I did not give him my honest opinion.
The car is vaguely disconnected from the driver quite unlike the Hondas which are quite precisely disconnected to the driver [I hope I made sense!], which scared me on the highway [which are not very smooth in this part of the country].

P.S.- I am not a great driver and I have seen people absolutely flying the Verna
ra'ul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 17:00   #74
Team-BHP Support

^^ If it handles like the Gen 1 Accent, it was the right decision to sell it.

Having said that, the Accent was great in the city and even as a highway cruiser under 100 k's. The boatiness only came into play at extremely high speeds.

I would stop short of calling the Fluidic Verna bullsh*t (assuming that's what you typed). 4,000 buyers amonth will surely not fall for it consistently. For regular city use, it seems to be a popular car these days.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 17:41   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Agree. I doubt 'handling' even figures in the list of factors for most normal buyers. So, while not a fan of Hyundai cars, I think HMIL have done something right with the Verna, resulting in people flocking to it. Those of us who value handling just need to stay away, though I am sure that the handling should be good enough for the normal driving style of an average person. Ofcourse, like mentioned on the "Chevy Captiva overturned" thread, it is not that tough to flip a car, even the best handling car.

To the OP : I believe you have only yourself to blame. If you value handling, it is inexcusable to buy a car without TD-ing it for handling.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st September 2011 at 17:43.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote