Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 06:26   #46
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 1,205 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

@Nevertouchme - Nice pictures of your Beat. I am planning to get a Beat in the next few months. As you have driven 15K kms, please let me know, one question - Is it easy to drive in the City?

As when i drove this car, back to back to a Ritz, i found the dash on the Beat to be too high, blocking a large part of the front view. The all round visibility of the Ritz was so much better.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 07:16   #47
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Nice pictures there. Wish you many many happy miles in it. Could you please confirm if the engine is 4 cylinder and how much was the on road price.
sumannandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 07:40   #48
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 1,205 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Nice pictures there. Wish you many many happy miles in it. Could you please confirm if the engine is 4 cylinder and how much was the on road price.
The Beat Diesel is a 3 cylinder engine. You could read the detailed review by GTO at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2429640 (Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review)
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 15:13   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Is it easy to drive in the City?

As when i drove this car, back to back to a Ritz, i found the dash on the Beat to be too high, blocking a large part of the front view. The all round visibility of the Ritz was so much better.
Going by visibility, to put it in one word, it is not easy. Especially the protruding wheel arches and the diving front nose are a nightmare in terms of anticipating the dimensions of the car from the drivers seat, unless, you have above average height. Else, you can search for some of our forum members who have added spacers to the front seat, to compensate for the low height.

But then, I found the Ritz too not that easy on the visibility, considering the high dashboard. Though, you may be better with anticipating the overall dimensions. Since you take visibility as an important factor, I strongly suggest you to have a test drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic of both cars, for an extended period. Also try reversing in a tight alley. I could never reverse my petrol Beat in a perfect straight line parallel to the wall!

Though I've not driven the diesel versions of both the cars, you can take some indirect clues from my short review at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...undai-i10.html (A driver's perspective : Maruti Ritz, Chevrolet Beat and Hyundai i10). Our forums suggest that the Beat is no less on city drive-ability, except for the visibility. Especially low-end torque, light clutch and steering and better gear slotting weigh in favor of the Beat.

Last edited by thoma : 24th March 2012 at 15:17.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 15:27   #50
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 1,205 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Thank you very much for the insight. Will try and reverse the beat in a tight spot. I'm 6' 2" and still I had difficulty to see the road due to the high dash. Will try and do a long test drive. I'm absolutely at home with the Ritz, but I like the way the beat looks, its smaller size and its endless ability to be modified. Also the lack of safety features in the Ritz is keeping me away from it.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 16:01   #51
BHPian
 
nevertouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Car is 7.5 months old and has completed 21000 kms.

I am a very sedate driver, come what may, religiously up shift not more than 2200 rpm.

I fill the tank mostly in company owned and company operated fuel stations.

The car does a lot of highway trips and equally good running in the city.

Having spent some kilometers with the car, think its relatively considerable time to talk about positives and negatives of a Beat Diesel.

+ve's:

- Build quality is good. holding up good. no rattles from dashboard, no door squeaks, no rattling anywhere in the cabin. (i generally prefer a silent cabin, as i listen to music in low/very decibels).

- People are skeptical about 3 cylinder engine noise, vibrations & harshness levels. If you want to buy this story, please do. the 3 pot don't behave anything harsh. Fires up and clatters alright.

- EPS, the power steering feels great for city. Extremely effortless. With almost no play so far, puts me in a confident place during highway runs. I just like the steering.

- Good mileage. I get a mixed highway and city average of 19. City alone = 16. Highway alone = 22.5. Never got 24 or 26 or 40 like the company claims. I am not even complaining . The car hasn't run even 100 kms without aircon.

- Huge ++++ve: the most loved factor is the engine. Low end torque and drivability in the city is excellent. I did 2 x hill station trips & the car ran like a hare. With turbo kicking in as early as 1700 rpm and your engine is idling at 900 rpm. if you like a quick car on the hills, this is the one. Please do drive one and you will realize what I am trying to say.

-ve's:

- High set dash board and no seat height adjust. Will never recommend this car for short people. Also its a pain to judge and drive the car in city.

- Exhaust gas let out has this unpleasant smell. I idle the car for 2 minutes every morning and a minute before i stop the engine. the stench is bad, if not very bad.

- Almost non existent boot. This car is good for 4 people who travel lite.

- LT model has this glossy finish on dash board and front doors. They get scratched very badly. Over a period of time, there will be no gloss but just scratches

- Reversing the car in tight spots require lots of guess work and would recommend reverse parking sensors.

- Basic and almost factory speakers are a write off.

I think i am a happy owner with no niggles so far, decent performance if not scorching, low service cost, great build & good mileage.

Major turn off is Visibility.
nevertouchme is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 19:40   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,149 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

7.5 months and 21k kms, man, somebody's "beat" ing the hell out of the vehicle, very nice ownership review Jai. What is your take on the tyre wear? Is it normal or is it on the higher side as we had thought many kilometres ago?
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 09:34   #53
BHPian
 
nevertouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Hari na, the tyre wear is on the higher side for sure. I am looking at another 8.5 thousand kilometers with it and change them to Michelin.

My last service was with Kropex & seems they have royally screwed up wheel balancing. They charged me INR 1000 for Wheel Alignment & Wheel Balancing plus 240 or 270 for weights which I think is high.

The steering after 110 shivers and it's most unpleasant.
nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 09:56   #54
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 412
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Hari na, the tyre wear is on the higher side for sure. I am looking at another 8.5 thousand kilometers with it and change them to Michelin.

My last service was with Kropex & seems they have royally screwed up wheel balancing. They charged me INR 1000 for Wheel Alignment & Wheel Balancing plus 240 or 270 for weights which I think is high.

The steering after 110 shivers and it's most unpleasant.
Having looked at your tyres, especially the ones which were at the front before, you should be looking at a change after a maximum of 5k kms. They miserably fail the 'rupee test'.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 10:06   #55
BHPian
 
nevertouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Having looked at your tyres, especially the ones which were at the front before, you should be looking at a change after a maximum of 5k kms. They miserably fail the 'rupee test'.
So 25,000 kms it is. I think I will leave it at the same specification of 165/65 and no changes to it.
nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 10:45   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
The steering after 110 shivers and it's most unpleasant.
I had the same issue on my Beat, but was corrected by a proper wheel balancing by the service center. Either complain that you need your 1000/- worth and do a re-balancing free from the service center or forget the lost and do a balancing and alignment from a reputed tire dealer outside.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 12:01   #57
BHPian
 
nevertouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I had the same issue on my Beat, but was corrected by a proper wheel balancing by the service center. Either complain that you need your 1000/- worth and do a re-balancing free from the service center or forget the lost and do a balancing and alignment from a reputed tire dealer outside.
I don't think I would bother Kropex hereafter. I am getting the Alignment & Balancing done today evening.

Just to add, I got a call 10 minutes back to learn how is the *performance* of my car from Kropex.

And she asked me a rating; 1 being worst & 10 being excellent. You know what I gave.
nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 18:53   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 328
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Hey never touch me! Lots of miles on your amazing looking Beat!

I'm planning to buy a Beat TCDi (Grey!!). You mentioned in an earlier post that the service costs are low. Have you taken the 3 year service package? What are your approx bills at each service? And how good is your experience with the GM people?

Thanks.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 21:04   #59
BHPian
 
nevertouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hey never touch me! Lots of miles on your amazing looking Beat!

I'm planning to buy a Beat TCDi (Grey!!). You mentioned in an earlier post that the service costs are low. Have you taken the 3 year service package? What are your approx bills at each service? And how good is your experience with the GM people?

Thanks.
Thanks Thumping heart. Glad that you are interested in a Diesel Beat. Which is the variant that you are looking at?

wrt to service bills, I have been to a GM After Sales Service center 5 times.
1000 KM - Check -Rs 0
5000 KM - Check & Service Rs 52
10000 KM - Check & Service Rs 580 [A/c Pollen Filter Change]
15000 KM - Check & Oil Change Service Rs 2700 [Oil Change]
20000 KM - Check and Service [Rs 6500, I fixed Captiva horns & Wheel Alignment, Balancing etc they over charged me at least by 1,500 Rupees]

From the above and personal experience, 5k intervals is just wash, clean interiors, do their 19/25 point check up, brake cleaning, wheel alignment & balancing. The costs don't make any dents in your wallet.

I did NOT opt for 3 year plan.

My experience with Kropex sales was excellent & the opposite with service. I go to Presenna Automobiles, Coimbatore. They are new & they are great!

let me know if you need any other information.
nevertouchme is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 10:33   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 328
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT - TCDI - Sandrift Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Thanks Thumping heart. Glad that you are interested in a Diesel Beat. Which is the variant that you are looking at?

wrt to service bills, I have been to a GM After Sales Service center 5 times.
1000 KM - Check -Rs 0
5000 KM - Check & Service Rs 52
10000 KM - Check & Service Rs 580 [A/c Pollen Filter Change]
15000 KM - Check & Oil Change Service Rs 2700 [Oil Change]
20000 KM - Check and Service [Rs 6500, I fixed Captiva horns & Wheel Alignment, Balancing etc they over charged me at least by 1,500 Rupees]

From the above and personal experience, 5k intervals is just wash, clean interiors, do their 19/25 point check up, brake cleaning, wheel alignment & balancing. The costs don't make any dents in your wallet.

I did NOT opt for 3 year plan.

My experience with Kropex sales was excellent & the opposite with service. I go to Presenna Automobiles, Coimbatore. They are new & they are great!

let me know if you need any other information.
Thanks nevertouchme. I'l mostly opt for LS.

The service bills are pretty decent in spite of not getting the 3 year service package. Thats good.

I have learnt never to get stuff like ICE/ fog lamps/ horn etc etc from dealerships. Always get it done outside. Much cheaper, efficient and quicker.

Thanks for your help i'l surely let you know what happens

Cheers.
thumpingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52
Chevrolet Beat TCDi on steroids - DieselTronic dual channel box! rahuldevnath Modifications & Accessories 2 20th October 2014 14:11
New Optra Magnum 2.0 LT [Sandrift Grey] ByDesign Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 55 19th June 2012 13:00
Chevy Beat LT - Sandrift Grey - Elegant and Modern! rsramkee Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 64 4th April 2011 23:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks