Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th November 2011, 11:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocratroy View Post
IMO, the slight vibration on the clutch when the foot is rested on the clutch is a common thing in Ventos and it was even mentioned in the test drive report by GTO. But if it makes an audible noise then the hydraulic pipe could be the reason. Though a better hydraulic pipe design could make the vibrating clutch a little more smooth, what I (and Ricky too maybe) experience is a very pronounced sound when we depress the clutch to upshift above 2000 rpm (something similar to the sound that you get when you start an old diesel generator and it fails to start and dies down. The sound is similar to the dying down part of the generator)
Does the hydraulic pipe issue cause only noise, or is there any other implication/damage to the car?
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 12:11   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Dealer for Gurgaon, Frontier Auto Pvt. Ltd.
Thanks Ricky! I will contact my dealer pass on the info and let you know what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Does the hydraulic pipe issue cause only noise, or is there any other implication/damage to the car?
It causes only noise and I believe it is because of oil retraction into that pipe every time we press the clutch. There are no additional implications or damage. If that was not the case, I am assuming VW would have initiated a recall, right?

Besides, Ricky had mentioned that in the circular VW sent out to the dealers they had said that the only problem would be noise and no other damage would be caused if we continue to ride with the same pipe design.

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th November 2011 at 13:29. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
technocratroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 09:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Vento Highline TDI comes home !!

I do believe that VW should volunteer to replace all such pipes..it is just not on to sell a car with a know design defect in the pipe length/dia, though it causes no problem, why should one be subjected to any unwanted sound at all.

Other than that irritating sound the car drives like a dream.

I have complained to the company on their Facebook Wall also..I think all those that are facing the problem, should do that as well, so that there is some pressure on the company.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 09:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE :-

Finally after much followup with VW, the hydraulic clutch pipe was replaced under warranty. The way they went about it in such a hush hush manner was amusing though.

Got a call from the Customer Service Executive, that the pipe has been recieved from VW as a "special case", as I had been pursuing the matter on Facebook VW

The car was picked up at around 9:15 am at about 10 am I got a call from some service executive asking me what needed to be done to the car as all was well with it !!

I asked him to speak with the Customer Service Executive who had called for the car in the first place....silence...Sir what is to be done, finally I told him the clutch pipe, to which his instant reply was, that the part was not in stock & had been requested for to VW, I just asked him to speak with the Customer Service Executive.

Around 10:30 am I went to the service station to find that nothing was being done. Spoke to the Customer Service Lady, and she told me in a very hushed tone, that she had "reserved" a pipe for my car, as the part was in short supply !!!!!! Meaning that the company was aware of the problem but did not have the requisite inventory to support the replacements.

The mechanic told me "inside story" - Saarji this noise goes undetected by 95% of the owners & it does not effect the working of the clutch & has no adverse effect so the customer told that the "sound is normal" !!

Any way - my car did get the pipe replaced & is now without any sound, shudder etc from the clutch. I have recieved an invoice for the same, which I shall scan & put up on this thread later today. Ofcourse I paid nothing for this replacement, but the invoice is for some 3k odd

So I got the car delivered back with the customary body wash & a absolutely silent clutch action !!

I am happy with what I have, but wish that the company stocks adequate inventory to service vehicles they are selling..

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 30th November 2011 at 09:33.
Ricky_63 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 10:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the report Ricky_63, I'm really disappointed with the attitude exhibited by VW in this case.

Also, on the inventory position, looks like this is the same case with even the fast moving parts. A single alloy will take atleast 10 days to be available from the date of placing the order. I wonder what will be the fate for accidental repair cases. I feel if VW doesnt address this appropriately, they will lose whatever little credibility they have built so far.

Quote:
I am happy with what I have, but wish that the company stocks adequate inventory to service vehicles they are selling..
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 13:24   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from the Customer Service Executive, that the pipe has been recieved from VW as a "special case", as I had been pursuing the matter on Facebook VW
Around 10:30 am I went to the service station to find that nothing was being done. Spoke to the Customer Service Lady, and she told me in a very hushed tone, that she had "reserved" a pipe for my car, as the part was in short supply !!!!!! Meaning that the company was aware of the problem but did not have the requisite inventory to support the replacements.
If those posts are on FB, I am not sure how it can be made so hush-hush any more by VW. I have been following the posts on FB but somehow might have missed your posts there on this problem.

Quote:
The car was picked up at around 9:15 am at about 10 am I got a call from some service executive asking me what needed to be done to the car as all was well with it !!
This is just how the VW service centers work. I remember that when I was there getting my car checked, they sent two service persons to collect a stalled car from the same customer . So the less said the better about them.

Quote:
So I got the car delivered back with the customary body wash & a absolutely silent clutch action !!
Now I too have felt a slight vibration on the clutch but couldn't find a noise that I could identify clearly (maybe because of the very audible clatter of the engine from the inside). So are you saying that after this replacement the vibration on the clutch has completely disappeared? If that is true, it probably is time for me to have some uncomfortable discussions with my service center too .
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 09:14   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Thanks for the report Ricky_63, I'm really disappointed with the attitude exhibited by VW in this case.

Also, on the inventory position, looks like this is the same case with even the fast moving parts. A single alloy will take atleast 10 days to be available from the date of placing the order. I wonder what will be the fate for accidental repair cases. I feel if VW doesnt address this appropriately, they will lose whatever little credibility they have built so far.
Yes their inventory would hold every day parts like, brake, clutch, oils, bumpers etc, the hydraulic pipes etc though should also be part of the inventory...Alloys are not an everyday part, but 10 days is quite some time to get a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
If those posts are on FB, I am not sure how it can be made so hush-hush any more by VW. I have been following the posts on FB but somehow might have missed your posts there on this problem.

This is just how the VW service centers work. I remember that when I was there getting my car checked, they sent two service persons to collect a stalled car from the same customer . So the less said the better about them.

Now I too have felt a slight vibration on the clutch but couldn't find a noise that I could identify clearly (maybe because of the very audible clatter of the engine from the inside). So are you saying that after this replacement the vibration on the clutch has completely disappeared? If that is true, it probably is time for me to have some uncomfortable discussions with my service center too .
A slight vibration in the clutch is there any which way. But the sound on depressing the pedal - if it is there is fairly audible, does not matter if it cannot be heard, then it means it is not there at all
Old 1st December 2011, 09:42   #68
BHPian

Quote:
A slight vibration in the clutch is there any which way. But the sound on depressing the pedal - if it is there is fairly audible, does not matter if it cannot be heard, then it means it is not there at all
I do feel the slight vibration but haven't heard any audible noise as of yet on depressing the clutch. Guess it might be some cars were shipped with the faulty parts. Will check on the experience of other folks on this issue.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:59   #69
Senior - BHPian

Enclosing scan of the bill for the pipe replacement
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vento Clutch Pipe Replacement.pdf (666.5 KB, 639 views)
Old 1st December 2011, 16:54   #70
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ricky! Atleast now if any of us want to take this up at our respective VW workshops, we can showcase some proof of the issue in case they completely deny such a problem in the car.

Funny point - the "Demanded Repair" states : "Clutch PRAS & DEPRAS time noise".

Is this some new word or just plain simple awesome english of the service engineers?

Edit : Nice to see they didn't charge you for the car wash & cleaning. They didn't for me too, when I got the dent part repaired & re-painted. Small aspect, but its these nitty-gritties that help improve the experience at the end of the day.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 1st December 2011 at 16:57.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 18:07   #71
BHPian

Post Re: VW Vento Highline TDI comes home !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
A single alloy will take atleast 10 days to be available from the date of placing the order. I wonder what will be the fate for accidental repair cases. I feel if VW doesnt address this appropriately, they will lose whatever little credibility they have built so far.
My friend once left is Polo 1.6 for accidental repair which required replacement of headlight and fog-light. He left is vehicle during Dusshera and after many followups and bashing, received his vehicle only after Diwali . They are still new in the Indian market (with regard to the mass selling passenger cars). They have clearly under planned the under planned ***. But VW will surely pickup in the coming years. And just hope they dont follow the FIAT !
gp_fanatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 18:12   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Enclosing scan of the bill for the pipe replacement
Thanks for sharing this, Ricky. Really useful. During my next visit to the workshop, I am going to have a host of issues to complain about . I do get the difference in sounds when I press the clutch. Good to know that you now have a smooth soundless clutch action.

@ninja, when I took my car to the workshop to get the AC blower fixed the SA wrote "No air in AC".
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 21:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thanks Ricky! Atleast now if any of us want to take this up at our respective VW workshops, we can showcase some proof of the issue in case they completely deny such a problem in the car.

Funny point - the "Demanded Repair" states : "Clutch PRAS & DEPRAS time noise".

Is this some new word or just plain simple awesome english of the service engineers?

Edit : Nice to see they didn't charge you for the car wash & cleaning. They didn't for me too, when I got the dent part repaired & re-painted. Small aspect, but its these nitty-gritties that help improve the experience at the end of the day.

LOL the PRAS & DEPRAS, had me splits too. Well as for washing the car. All of the Germans do it as a matter of routine, though the engine bay was not washed..but I can cut them that slack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
My friend once left is Polo 1.6 for accidental repair which required replacement of headlight and fog-light. He left is vehicle during Dusshera and after many followups and bashing, received his vehicle only after Diwali . They are still new in the Indian market (with regard to the mass selling passenger cars). They have clearly under planned the under planned ***. But VW will surely pickup in the coming years. And just hope they dont follow the FIAT !

You are spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Thanks for sharing this, Ricky. Really useful. During my next visit to the workshop, I am going to have a host of issues to complain about . I do get the difference in sounds when I press the clutch. Good to know that you now have a smooth soundless clutch action.

@ninja, when I took my car to the workshop to get the AC blower fixed the SA wrote "No air in AC".
C'mon dont use my reference lest they blacklist me I think their FB page is an effective tool, as they are only ranting about the good things with VW , new launch , some silly contest, etc so if they get negative feedback they forward it to the concerned department asap, so that the FB page does not appear "bad"

I love the No air in AC bit though !! LOL

Cheers
Old 5th December 2011, 09:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

The hydraulic pipe replacement has done wonders. The clutch is now super smooth & absolutely silent (which is how it should have been from Day 1)

I would recommend anyone facing issues to push hard for replacement of the pipe, the difference is H U G E

Cheers
Old 1st January 2012, 16:47   #75
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE :

500 kms post the clutch pipe replacement, it is totally brilliant, noise & vibration free. Wonder why they do not ensure that the part is replaced on all cars that come in for service, as a courtesy measure.

Afterall they do know that there is a design flaw to begin with !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote