Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th April 2012, 21:58   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Vento Highline TDI comes home !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Well, your car is under warranty ? You are going to have your complaint adressed...period. Let them what they want to change, at the end of it, your clutch should be sorted.

Also I should mention the part number I mentioned was off of the Invoice raised, so unless they typed that wrong OR have changed the part number..

Just go get it done - if it is not sorted, raise hell

Hope you get this sorted sooner than later, the bliss of a nice clutch is WOW

All the best
I dont think that they typed part no wrong on your invoice. One more member got it changed and he too mentioned the same part no as you did.

Its now that VW has got updated part no according to them.
Is there any way to find out the original part no. I am suspecting they will replace bad ones with bad ones

The very first day i took my car out of the showroom i cursed the clutch.
Now when i went for oil and coolant top up @7500 kms (due to bad habit of oil consumption on VW TDI engines) i explained the SA that clutch hose needs to be changed.
Then the flying doctor from VW plant interacted with me and i opened your thread on his PC and showed him the problem and how to solve it.

It was then they acknowledged the problem and ordered the part.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 09:24   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I dont think that they typed part no wrong on your invoice. One more member got it changed and he too mentioned the same part no as you did.

Its now that VW has got updated part no according to them.
Is there any way to find out the original part no. I am suspecting they will replace bad ones with bad ones

The very first day i took my car out of the showroom i cursed the clutch.
Now when i went for oil and coolant top up @7500 kms (due to bad habit of oil consumption on VW TDI engines) i explained the SA that clutch hose needs to be changed.
Then the flying doctor from VW plant interacted with me and i opened your thread on his PC and showed him the problem and how to solve it.

It was then they acknowledged the problem and ordered the part.

Nice to know that my thread post could help resolve the problem. So when is the pipe being replaced ?? You will feel you are driving a brand new(er) car

It is sad to see that VW tries to avoid accepting the fault, instead they should give a blanket order to dealerships to maintain stock & replace any defective clutch hoses. Like Toyota replaced the brakes on the Fortuners, albiet after a lot of people complained.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 10:29   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
[/b]

Nice to know that my thread post could help resolve the problem. So when is the pipe being replaced ?? You will feel you are driving a brand new(er) car

It is sad to see that VW tries to avoid accepting the fault, instead they should give a blanket order to dealerships to maintain stock & replace any defective clutch hoses. Like Toyota replaced the brakes on the Fortuners, albiet after a lot of people complained.

Cheers
Million thanks Ricky, actually from day1 this clutch business was bugging me. I also vented my anger on the Vento thread, but poor VW fans dint take my posts too lightly and denied that clutch has any problem.

It was then i viewed your thread and felt good that there is one more person who analyses his car without being biased and acknowledged that the clutch is faulty.

I will be getting my pipe today probably. Will give them a call today. Will let you know the performance after upgrade.

They wasted 4 hours to just top up oil and coolant and dint change clutch pipe at all despite my complaint and long discussions.

Also i raised a concern about 15k service interval. Its a marketting gimmik when its quite evident that oil and coolant level drops by 300ml approx in just 7800kms.

People must be driving with low oil and low coolant levels without any temp. gauge in the vento and due to this there are chances of fire and other damages.

They are changing the engine mounts on petrol cars too. The thing is , in case of petrol cars the vibrations are very evident and in case of diesel due to huge noise its surpassed.
But the fact is both petrol and diesel have faulty engine mounts. They should change both to hydraulic.
But then its VW, they wont agree.

amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 15:44   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Million thanks Ricky, actually from day1 this clutch business was bugging me. I also vented my anger on the Vento thread, but poor VW fans dint take my posts too lightly and denied that clutch has any problem.

It was then i viewed your thread and felt good that there is one more person who analyses his car without being biased and acknowledged that the clutch is faulty.

I will be getting my pipe today probably. Will give them a call today. Will let you know the performance after upgrade.

They wasted 4 hours to just top up oil and coolant and dint change clutch pipe at all despite my complaint and long discussions.

Also i raised a concern about 15k service interval. Its a marketting gimmik when its quite evident that oil and coolant level drops by 300ml approx in just 7800kms.

People must be driving with low oil and low coolant levels without any temp. gauge in the vento and due to this there are chances of fire and other damages.

They are changing the engine mounts on petrol cars too. The thing is , in case of petrol cars the vibrations are very evident and in case of diesel due to huge noise its surpassed.
But the fact is both petrol and diesel have faulty engine mounts. They should change both to hydraulic.
But then its VW, they wont agree.

You are welcome Amit, I am glad that the problem is being addressed at long last.

I keep checking coolant & engine oil on all my cars as a matter of habit. So far the coolant had dropped a little, which I topped up, the engine oil is holding up, but I will take it to the VW Workshop in the near future, just to have them take a look..

The car has done just 3000 kms so far. The first service is 1 year or 15000 kms, but I think I will get it done at around 7500 kms..the company recommended interval does not agree with me

I have not had any engine mount issues - so far..but will keep a lookout now that you mention it.

Cheers
Old 21st June 2012, 21:31   #110
BHPian

I had noticed clutch stiffness since day 1 (Nov 16, 2012), however, thought would get softened in few days.. after few thousand kms run. Couple of times, I had discussed about this issue with a Service Advisor in Vidhut Motors. And, I got the same generalized statement, ".. saare Vento diesel mein clutch hard hein.." ..Okie.. I thought.. will wait till few kms are clocked.. hope it reduces...

I drive appox 75 kms daily and had clocked about 6k KMS, when it started to give pain to my left leg especially calf and knees, which slowly got extended to hips. Then I came across this forum.. took note of the part nos. and called up SA at Vidhut, the next day morning.. as planned, dashed to service center even before he reached office... we discussed about the issue and also solution of replacing the tube. He adviced to leave car till evening for replacement job... When I came back to pickup car in the evening, to my surprise, nothing was done... because, they have not received any TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from VW regarding this issue and he cannot replace the part under warranty..!!! aahh... I controlled my anger (best of galli murmuring inside)... asked SA to connect me someone senior most at Service center or to VW ASM.

I was introduced to a CRM, who listened to my plight.. and then immediately ranged a flying doctor who works with BU Bhandari (competitor dealer). [I heard she worked for them before joining here ] Anyways, I got an appointment booked (by her) and I took car for repairs on the scheduled date..

day 1 - All technicians busy.. nothing done
day 2 - Replaced suspected tube... still issue not resolved VW technitian expected next day.
day 3 - VW technitian inspects and suggests clutch assembly to be dismantled.
day 4 - there comes verdict to replace entire clutch assembly kit and work done under warranty..
day 5 - voila.. I get a call clutch issue resolved. car is ready. 21 K bill.. all under warranty.. except for Rs. 257/- which I paid for brake fluid and some nut/bolt.

Took delivery of car and started my routine.... after 50 KMS run... noticed clutch to be hard (better than before) and annoying clutch vibration...

Next day morning reached Service Center to complain about this new issue.. waiting for SA to come over.. I saw Service Manager (accompained by another guy) coming towards reception... Taking the opportunity to discuss the issue with him I updated him about the issue.. and he immediately went to reception to call someone.. meantime the other guy started discussing the issue with me (taking interest)... and I told him the entire episode.. after all our discussion, he introduced himself as Area Service Manager from VM. I thanked god.. atleast the message has gone into right ears.. Not sure, if that will help improve their service though.

Technician and I went for test drive on busiest wakad hinjewadi road.. he acknowledges the issue. He took a day to analyze the issue, did some adjustments and he could not change a part which he suspects to be an issue, as its not available. I was then advised to drive for few hundred KMS, so that new clutch kit gets "adjusted"...

Car was delivered today... I feel clutch stiffness has reduced, however, vibration is still an issue... especially when applied to change to higher gears.

Hope so the issue gets fixed.. otherwise another visit... more headache..!!

Anyways, thanks to all in this forum.. it has helped in identifying the problem to some extend....

Last edited by fiesta : 21st June 2012 at 21:34. Reason: reformatted sentence
fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 22:44   #111
BHPian

Ricky_63: I bought my Vento sometime in Oct 11 and got used to the hard clutch and the awful noise that used to come occasionally when I depressed the clutch. After reading your thread, set up an appointment with VW Hyderabad for a service complaint (though I had driven only 4.5K kms). The SA found the issue immediately and said that they'd analyze the issue and let me know later. They called back the end of the day to say that they would not be able to deliver the same day, as promised and would deliver the next day. When I went the next day, I found that they had replaced the offending clutch pipe and the clutch has become like "makkan". Very glad that I got it done. Drove nearly 2000 Kms last week and no issues at all. Thanks again!
Notyetgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
I had noticed clutch stiffness since day 1 (Nov 16, 2012), however, thought would get softened in few days.. after few thousand kms run. Couple of times, I had discussed about this issue with a Service Advisor in Vidhut Motors. And, I got the same generalized statement, ".. saare Vento diesel mein clutch hard hein.." ..Okie.. I thought.. will wait till few kms are clocked.. hope it reduces...

I drive appox 75 kms daily and had clocked about 6k KMS, when it started to give pain to my left leg especially calf and knees, which slowly got extended to hips. Then I came across this forum.. took note of the part nos. and called up SA at Vidhut, the next day morning.. as planned, dashed to service center even before he reached office... we discussed about the issue and also solution of replacing the tube. He adviced to leave car till evening for replacement job... When I came back to pickup car in the evening, to my surprise, nothing was done... because, they have not received any TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from VW regarding this issue and he cannot replace the part under warranty..!!! aahh... I controlled my anger (best of galli murmuring inside)... asked SA to connect me someone senior most at Service center or to VW ASM.

I was introduced to a CRM, who listened to my plight.. and then immediately ranged a flying doctor who works with BU Bhandari (competitor dealer). [I heard she worked for them before joining here ] Anyways, I got an appointment booked (by her) and I took car for repairs on the scheduled date..

day 1 - All technicians busy.. nothing done
day 2 - Replaced suspected tube... still issue not resolved VW technitian expected next day.
day 3 - VW technitian inspects and suggests clutch assembly to be dismantled.
day 4 - there comes verdict to replace entire clutch assembly kit and work done under warranty..
day 5 - voila.. I get a call clutch issue resolved. car is ready. 21 K bill.. all under warranty.. except for Rs. 257/- which I paid for brake fluid and some nut/bolt.

Took delivery of car and started my routine.... after 50 KMS run... noticed clutch to be hard (better than before) and annoying clutch vibration...

Next day morning reached Service Center to complain about this new issue.. waiting for SA to come over.. I saw Service Manager (accompained by another guy) coming towards reception... Taking the opportunity to discuss the issue with him I updated him about the issue.. and he immediately went to reception to call someone.. meantime the other guy started discussing the issue with me (taking interest)... and I told him the entire episode.. after all our discussion, he introduced himself as Area Service Manager from VM. I thanked god.. atleast the message has gone into right ears.. Not sure, if that will help improve their service though.

Technician and I went for test drive on busiest wakad hinjewadi road.. he acknowledges the issue. He took a day to analyze the issue, did some adjustments and he could not change a part which he suspects to be an issue, as its not available. I was then advised to drive for few hundred KMS, so that new clutch kit gets "adjusted"...

Car was delivered today... I feel clutch stiffness has reduced, however, vibration is still an issue... especially when applied to change to higher gears.

Hope so the issue gets fixed.. otherwise another visit... more headache..!!

Anyways, thanks to all in this forum.. it has helped in identifying the problem to some extend....

I am glad that the issue has been addressed to your satisfaction...though any vibration is definately NOT right....there is nothing called "clutch will settle" It is either fine or it is not. Insist on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
Ricky_63: I bought my Vento sometime in Oct 11 and got used to the hard clutch and the awful noise that used to come occasionally when I depressed the clutch. After reading your thread, set up an appointment with VW Hyderabad for a service complaint (though I had driven only 4.5K kms). The SA found the issue immediately and said that they'd analyze the issue and let me know later. They called back the end of the day to say that they would not be able to deliver the same day, as promised and would deliver the next day. When I went the next day, I found that they had replaced the offending clutch pipe and the clutch has become like "makkan". Very glad that I got it done. Drove nearly 2000 Kms last week and no issues at all. Thanks again!
I am happy to see that my experience with the clutch pipe has helped others on the forum. The clutch should feel smooth & vibration free, if it is NOT, there has to be something the matter.

We as customers should not buy this hogwash about "clutch set ho jayega" & such other lame excuses.

Glad to know that your car has a "makhan" clutch now !!

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:33   #113
BHPian

[quote=fiesta;2816753]I had noticed clutch stiffness since day 1 (Nov 16, 2012), however, thought would get softened in few days.. after few thousand kms run. Couple of times, I had discussed about this issue with a Service Advisor in Vidhut Motors. And, I got the same generalized statement, ".. saare Vento diesel mein clutch hard hein.." ..Okie.. I thought.. will wait till few kms are clocked.. hope it reduces...

A correction, it is Nov 16, 2011...

Today, I have dropped a message on VW India FB page... I hope they answer!!
fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:17   #114
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: VW Vento Highline TDI comes home !!

Ricky..Congratulations on adding one more fabulous car to your collection.

I am curious to know as to why you chose Vento Highline TDI over Skoda Rapid Elegance 1.6 TDI CR MT , especially since most of the users have cited that Rapid is more suited for Indian Road conditions ? I am actually contemplating the purchase of either one of these cars and I felt Vento Highline TDI is a low slung car with a softer driving experience ( even with upgraded tyres) where as Rapid had a more sturdy feel.

Is is the badge value of VW that really influenced your decision in favor of Vento or you were just switching brands as you have been using a Skoda for quite some time then ?
Turbo car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:39   #115
Senior - BHPian

[quote=fiesta;2817196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post

A correction, it is Nov 16, 2011...

Today, I have dropped a message on VW India FB page... I hope they answer!!
FB page does get their attention....though you will have to keep making a noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
Ricky..Congratulations on adding one more fabulous car to your collection.

I am curious to know as to why you chose Vento Highline TDI over Skoda Rapid Elegance 1.6 TDI CR MT , especially since most of the users have cited that Rapid is more suited for Indian Road conditions ? I am actually contemplating the purchase of either one of these cars and I felt Vento Highline TDI is a low slung car with a softer driving experience ( even with upgraded tyres) where as Rapid had a more sturdy feel.

Is is the badge value of VW that really influenced your decision in favor of Vento or you were just switching brands as you have been using a Skoda for quite some time then ?

The single most important reason was that this was bought for the wife, she chose it herself, she'd had an Octavia for a long enough time & preferred the Vento TDI, though the Rapid was not launched when I bought my car. And yes a different brand, as for the ride & handling, I think it is brilliant. I have 205/55/15 S-Drives. Never found a reason to complain.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:08   #116
BHPian

Many thanks for the reply Ricky.

Given an option as of now, which among these cars would you choose to buy? I took TD of both the cards and I felt VW Vento TDI gave a better feel to the driver ( may be better driver ergonomics ), where as Rapid Elegance gave a feel of more power, but the finish quality of the interiors seemed a bit tardy in comparison to Vento.

Few friends who own Vento has not been to enthusiastic about its After Sale Service. And how is the after sales service of VW in comparison to Skoda ?

I test drove both the cars and i found that the driver ergonomics of Vento to be better than that of Rapid where as Rapid had a more "aggressive" driver experience.
Since you have used both brands, can you tell me which one offers better after sales service ?

Last edited by manson : 23rd June 2012 at 15:23.
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:00   #117
Senior - BHPian

@Turbo Car

I got the Skoda serviced at the dealership till the warranty period - post that it was done at other garages, in front of my eyes. Skoda always wanted to change parts that did not need to be changed & I did have a tiff with them most visits. But overall they were just about OK, they had the volume so really did not care.

VW has been OK so far, the car is yet to see it's 1st service, as it has not even done 5k in 6 months - but when I did go to the dealer for the clutch issue they were better behaved than Skoda, but they are all the same at the end of the day. Only Audi Service is exceptional..but having said that - the segment is totally different !

So between the Devil & the Deep Sea - I would go with VW (based on current experience)

How much cheaper is the Rapid Diesel vs the Vento TDI ?? If the difference is great or you find the space better, it is your call

Cheers
Old 25th June 2012, 10:54   #118
BHPian

@ Ricky...Thanks a lot for the reply.

Here in Kerala, the sole dealer of Skoda was Marikar motors, and their after sale service history is so colorful that many buyers have chosen chevrolet cruze over Laura, even if they liked Laura better.

Skoda tend to replace parts ( mostly expensive ones that go to 5 figures ) as the solution to a problem and i feel that such "old habits die hard" even when it comes to a lower price point car like Rapid.

One thing i noticed in Vento was that the arm of the suspension of the rear wheel ( please feel free to correct me if i have named to part wrong) is visibly seen at a much lower level than the chassis of the car ( nearly closer to the ground, and the ground clearance of the part is by say the thickness of the tires ). I have been assured by the Test drive person that its a "moving part" and hence wont affect the ground clearance of the car even when we go through Indian roads. The same however is not visible in rapid.

Can you tell me what he told is correct ?
Old 26th June 2012, 15:19   #119
Senior - BHPian

The arm IS a moving part, and I have driven the Vento over pathetic roads in Gurgaon, never ever had an issue with scraping the road in a ditch or breaker....

Look at the rear arm of the CRV you will see it very easily if you are driving behind one. That looks low too, but in real life situations have not been known to create issues, at least not to my knowledge.

Cheers
Old 27th June 2012, 15:30   #120
BHPian

Thanks Ricky..I will check that up.

I told a friend of mine about how you took it up with VW and got the clutch pipe and bracket replaced, and now he has also told VW guys who were skirting around his clutch rattle about the part number to be replaced. Sure helped him a lot. He told me to thank you specially for that. so a thanks from him too

Does the new Vento TDI also come with the same clutch pipe problem ?

One more thing. I read your thread about Pajero with great interest. You are the first guy i know of who owned 2 Pajero's at the same time. Why did you really dispose of the older version Pajero ? In pictures posted in that thread, the older one looked better..