Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th August 2013, 20:39   #196
BHPian

Default Re: My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! Pics on pg 5

Drmohitji, being a Corolla Altis owner myself ( though a petrol head)
I endorse the confidence you have on Toyota, while I have faced nothing like this ( and hope and pray I never do..), I believe you would be fine and this would just be a minor problem. I would be curious to know. I have owned a Toyota for 3 years and your feedback would be reassuring
gops2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 20:43   #197
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry, I don't think it will be anything big. Probably something to do with the drive by wire throttle. Also could be something as simple as a clogged air filter.

When in neutral, was the RPM getting limited too?
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 20:53   #198
Senior - BHPian

Another Possibility, is of a Turbo hose coming off or a cut some where,resulting in loss of boost.This is a common issue in the 1.3 MJD.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 11th August 2013 at 21:05.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 21:01   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This Toyota has a mind of its own!!
Don't worry mate. I am on my 2nd Toyota, a Corolla Altis petrol, that turns 5 years old in Oct. Trust me, TKM takes pretty good care of you. If it is under warranty it will be repaired FOC. If the dealers give you grief, let TKM know about it.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 21:32   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Also could be something as simple as a clogged air filter.
It might be that since the car was driven through a lot of slush and dirt in these last 3 days due to the heavy rains.

Quote:
When in neutral, was the RPM getting limited too?
I don't think so. At neutral the RPM stayed put at around 1k ( the usual mark). Still will have to reconfirm in the morning to be 100% sure. BTW what would that suggest?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 21:33   #201
BHPian

I had the same experience with my optra magnum 2 days back while driving from Bangalore to Trivandrum. I was alarmed when the car which was cruising at 100+ coming down and speed not increasing beyond 110 and rpm stuck to 2800 and not increasing further. But when I switched on and off I could feel the turbo kick again but lasted only for 10 mins. My engine MIL was on. I left the car yesterday at trivandrum service center late, they are yet to run all the diagnostics and come to a conclusion. The possible causes explained were air intake sensor, leak, trouble with FIP, turbo charger issue, map sensor trouble. It should be one or more of these per my SA.
To me this this happened midway through my journey which was about 370 km from Bangalore.
I called my Bangalore and Tvm service advisors , confirmed it was ok to drive the rest distance and proceeded with caution.
shinuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 21:55   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
I was alarmed when the car which was cruising at 100+ coming down and speed not increasing beyond 110 and rpm stuck to 2800 and not increasing further. But when I switched on and off I could feel the turbo kick again but lasted only for 10 mins. My engine MIL was on.
Yup the turbo kicked in again in my case too but the light stayed on. As a precaution I didn't push it beyond 2k RPM at all and just cruised at 80 kmph. Hope it turns out to be something minor tomorrow.

Anyways the car otherwise performed really well. Here are a few pics I clicked during the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! Pics on pg 5-dscn3963.jpg  

My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! Pics on pg 5-dscn3966.jpg  

My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! Pics on pg 5-dscn3967.jpg  

My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! Pics on pg 5-dscn3977.jpg  

My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! Pics on pg 5-dscn3978.jpg  

Old 12th August 2013, 16:17   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Took the car to the service centre today and as usual the whole experience was very hassle free and systematic. So full marks for that. There were rat paw marks all over the engine bay, so the technician's first guess was that it must be some cut wire and they will have to check everything. I left the car as I had to return to work. They called me an hour later to tell that it was just some ECU error and they have recalibrated the ECU. There is some circular from Toyota too that they have received which recommends a new set of settings for the ECU regarding the turbo response. They said that the car would have started producing white smoke in sometime if the setting would not have been modified according to the new ones sent by Toyota. Anyways that was about the issue and the light has gone now.
The brakes are still good and have life in them. Next check up will be at 30k km service. Total bill for the whole process was around 400 Rs which was waived off and so I was not asked to pay anything. And hence the love and hate relationship with my Altis continues.

BHPians in Vadodara: Can anyone suggest me a good outlet to get my car's interiors cleaned? Its been 2 years since I bought it and after the recent trips in the rains, the interiors have taken a beating specially the carpet area. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by drmohitg : 12th August 2013 at 16:24.
Old 12th August 2013, 16:54   #204

Quote:
Anyways the car otherwise performed really well. Here are a few pics I clicked during the trip.
I see this a lot on the forums now and it bothers me, why do people think it is ok to stop on the road/highway to click pictures or for other reasons other than where it is entirely unavoidable? Not only is it dangerous for you but also hazardous for the traffic, having almost been in a critical situation like this because of a stationary vehicle whose owner had gone to take a leak I always point out such things. There are enough places on the road where you will have enough room to park your vehicle and not cross the solid line.
superdunkaroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 15:20   #205
BHPian

Good to know that your issue was cleared with out any major troubles. Mine too is cleared without much issues. Th culprit in my case was a rat bite on a wiring to turbo charger. Cleared and costed INR 700. Bangalore service center was trying make some moolah by asking me to replace air intake sensor which would have costed 8k.

Last edited by shinuak : 15th August 2013 at 15:22.
shinuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 17:39   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Hi thanks for the suggestion. Can you please guide me as to where to find the euro spec manual? Unable to locate one on google. Thanks in advance.
Apologies for the late reply,

I am very sorry, but I had the manual for the old corolla (the one before the altis), which I had purchased from the UK (sold it 2 years back). However, the best source to search for manuals is torents. Otherwise, the US toyota forums or japanese forums usually will answer your question.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 15:04   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

The First Dent

I loved Gujarat's highways and driving etiquette of the drivers on these highways to the extent of even starting a thread on the same:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...oss-india.html
But to the contrary the traffic sense inside the cities leaves me baffled. Vadodara is a small city with two wheeler traffic dominating the roads and hence I used to let it go. But one can come across cars and bikes using the wrong side of the road readily and confidently only to save on some time taking the legal U turn some meters away.
But I expected Ahmedabad to be better. Yesterday had to go to Ahmedabad for some work and had some interesting moments. What I learnt was that no one follows the signals in the city of Ahmedabad. Its a free way for all. I reached an intersection and stopped as the signal was red. I was the first one to reach the signal and hence stopped my car right before the STOP and Zebra Crossing sign. To my surprise I saw a cop coming in my direction and shouting. Couldn't understand my fault and thought may be he wants to stop me due to the Delhi number plates. But to my surprise he was shouting at me for stopping and blocking traffic and told me to move on. Just then the singal turned green anyways and I moved unable to decipher the true message that the cop was trying to send. On the next signal I stopped again and to my surprise saw cars/bikes/cycles going past me without even blinking an eyelid. Everyone from all the 4 exits trying to squeeze through the intersection at the same time. Finally to give me company a Duster also stopped right next to me waiting for the signal ( in hindsight now may be he thought I had spotted some challan issuing cop or something and stopped accordingly). And then to my horror and bad luck I spotted this Indian avatar of Lance armstrong coming at full speed on his cycle with a pillion rider. Being a student of science it didn't take much long to figure out that the gentleman was aiming for the gap between my car and the Duster parked next and in no way was that possible. And then came the dreaded sound of metal to metal and Mr. Armstrong had crashed straight into the side of my driver side bumper. Thanked my stars and God for atleast saving my ORVM! The bumper has come out and has got misaligned now. There is a small dent below where his pedal or something would have crashed with the car. Trying to figure out the best course of action now and inclining more towards letting it be. Would anyways ask the service centre guys on my next visit if they can do something about it and how much will it cost.
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! Pics on pg 5-20130831_121159.jpg

My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! Pics on pg 5-20130831_121206.jpg

And hence I got my first dent after exactly 22 months and 30 days.
Old 31st August 2013, 15:15   #208
Senior - BHPian

But its on bumper,should be a easy fix.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 15:22   #209
BHPian

Quote:
The First Dent
But I expected Ahmedabad to be better...

I am a very regular visitor to ahmedabad. I am very sorry, but when I read this statement, I burst out laughing.

I had to ride a scooter/bike/moped. I'd rather walk than go on a scooter. But, ahmedabad is one of the cities in India, which makes me take my relative's activa out. Believe it or not, the scooter riders in ahd are so bad, that they actually hit the traffic cops if they try to stop them. One advice, if you have any friends in ahd, then park your car at their home and take a auto or even better a scooter to go around in ahd. That is the fastest way to get around this city. And, old city is just like old delhi. Cramped lanes, lots of scooters, shops, chaos..

It is always a heartburn when you get a dent in your car, but then there is always a sense of relief as well. The dent appears to be minor one.. you can get it fixed cheaply in any local garage as well. The A.S.S. are usually expensive for body works.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 20:15   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Another 1100 kms trip over the weekend and the Odo stands at 28.6k kms as of now. This car is turning out to be a real mile cruncher. Honestly none of my other cars have ever covered kms that fast. I got it to Vadodara on the 18th of September, 2012 with the Odo at 9.7k kms. So it has almost covered 20k kms in this one year. The car is so comfortable over long rides that you just do not feel the tiredness even after 6-7 hours of driving non stop. The NVH levels are so religiously kept out of the cabin that with your favourite music playing, its a whole different world inside the cabin. Moreover it can easily stay on 120-140 kmph without any effort and the 6th gear ensures smooth power delivery for overtakes at those speeds too. Only grouse is the slight turbo lag felt if you do not know your gear ratios properly in which case you might find yourself in a bit of a spot in some instances and would need to downshift.

And the best part of all is the FE. Constantly returns 19 kmpl @ 120 kmph, 18 kmpl @ 140 kmph with 100% AC on. The brake pads have lasted for all this time and would not get them changed at the 30k service which going by the current rate should be reached in the next month or so.