Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd October 2011, 18:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP

The Red looks fantastic. Still not a big fan of the front grill (as from the brochure) - I love the plain mesh effect (in the previous gen Jazz).

Did you have an option/preference for Tyre selection? I'm just asking because I did, and I chose the Michelin Energy over the Goodyear that was available. Never knew an MRF was available too. Let us know how those fare.

Anyway, Congratulations on buying an engine so smooth you'll literally feel your driving an electric. Wish you many happy miles with your new Honda!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 22nd October 2011 at 18:56. Reason: More info.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 13:34   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
this is a combination which was available before the refresh as well and i wish Honda had given a choice in the interior colors to the consumer , in my opinion the beige and black looks better than the blue shade but unfortunately its not available in the top end.
Unfortunately,in India in spite of the cut throat competition, car buyers do not have much of an option to make their choices. For instance, in i20 1.4 Petrol is not available in Manual Transmission - only auto variant is available. Similarly Honda could have made available 1.5 ltr Engine for Jazz. Similarly, other options could have been provided by Manufacturers. However, they providing good options to car buyers are a very rare breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The Red looks fantastic. Still not a big fan of the front grill (as from the brochure) - I love the plain mesh effect (in the previous gen Jazz).

Did you have an option/preference for Tyre selection? I'm just asking because I did, and I chose the Michelin Energy over the Goodyear that was available. Never knew an MRF was available too. Let us know how those fare.

Anyway, Congratulations on buying an engine so smooth you'll literally feel your driving an electric. Wish you many happy miles with your new Honda!
Thanks. When I booked the car, I was told that Michelin would be available. However, the car came with MRF ZVTV( I wrote ZTVT wrongly in my initial report). I took delivery with these tires with the thinking that I will exchange it for Michelin. However, my drives on the local express ways upto Ujjain revealed that once the car gets going and windows are rolled up, the noise remains outside - it is very quiet inside. I touched a maximum speed of 80 - 85 kmph and till then, the noise that filtered in was very less. Hence, am going to hold onto these tires.

Last edited by aaren : 25th October 2011 at 13:38.
aaren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 17:00   #48
BHPian

Default Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Can’t you write directly to Honda? I mean missing pages in Owner’s manual sounds so bizarre. At least they should provide you with a replacement.
I have corresponded with Honda and today I received the 3rd call on this and another topic (missing spoiler and the front grille that is specific to "X" variant).

I asked Honda why cannot Honda replace the manual to which they replied that they will ask the dealer to take corrective action. In respect of the missing accessories, when Honda told me that they will give the feedback to the dealer, I told them it is Honda's responsibility to take corrective action with follow ups from the dealer and that dealer alone cannot anything. I have also sent them emails. Will keep updated. I will follow it up till it gets resolved

Other updates during this short ownership: Mieage according to the MID hovered between 13.5 (in terrible city driving conditions) to 15. The low GC showed its head (or should I say bottom) when the underbelly scrapped a speed (or car) breaker. This customized speed breaker would have scrapped even a Santro !! No damage done. My driving has been with 5 passengers most of the time.

Autolocking feature: After I received the photocopies of the missing pages, i realized that Jazz has the autolocking feature when the vehicle exceeds 15kmph. To Quote from the manual:

"To Program the Drive Lock Mode

a. Turn the Ignition switch to the On(2) position, and make sure to close the driver's door.
b. Push and hold the front of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a click. Keep holding the switch until you hear another click (after about 5 seconds).
c. Release the switch, and within 5 seconds, turn the ignition switch to the accessory (i) position.
d. Turn the ignition switch to the lock (0) position."

There are additional instructions to change this position. However, when I did this and took a short round around the apartment block, the auto locking system did not fire. Just wondering whether other Jazz owners are having similar issues or they have been able to sort this issue out. Any inputs would be valuable.

Last edited by aaren : 29th October 2011 at 17:02. Reason: Edited to remove duplicate points.
aaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 19:35   #49
BHPian

I believe honda manuals are generic and not specific to India models. The honda city manual explains(in great detail) how to adjust your steering wheel for rake and reach. I later found out that India model does not have reach adjustment.

I think this auto-lock feature also might have been removed in India models
iashishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 19:41   #50
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
Autolocking feature: After I received the photocopies of the missing pages, i realized that Jazz has the autolocking feature when the vehicle exceeds 15kmph. To Quote from the manual:

"To Program the Drive Lock Mode

a. Turn the Ignition switch to the On(2) position, and make sure to close the driver's door.
b. Push and hold the front of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a click. Keep holding the switch until you hear another click (after about 5 seconds).
c. Release the switch, and within 5 seconds, turn the ignition switch to the accessory (i) position.
d. Turn the ignition switch to the lock (0) position."

There are additional instructions to change this position. However, when I did this and took a short round around the apartment block, the auto locking system did not fire. Just wondering whether other Jazz owners are having similar issues or they have been able to sort this issue out. Any inputs would be valuable.
I think this part of the manual refers to Jazz models in some other countries. The `master door lock switch' it talks about is not the one in our Jazz. I had also made this mistake initially and thought the feature was available in my car, but if you look at the diagram, the `master door lock switch' is something on the door handle near the power window switches, which is missing in the Jazz here.
akp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 18:41   #51
BHPian

A quick update. It is about 1.5 months since the Jazz came home. Not much kms accumulated as am out of Indore for major part of the time. However, got the 1st free service done. The car is running good and we are enjoying the drives.

Acquired a scratch on the right side of the car. Done by some mischievous kids. Apparently not much can be done about.

In the interim, got the Jopasu car care kit - the combo pack. It consists of big duster, small duster, magic wipes. In addition, I was supplied the Wash n' wax solution. So far I have used only the mini duster that does a very good work of the dust. From what I could see, it takes the dust and does not push the dust from point 'A' to point 'B'.

Am yet to do a proper FE check by filling up gas to the brim.
aaren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 19:08   #52
BHPian

Updates as on January 17, 2012

Went in for the 2nd service, while the vehicle has accumulated only 780 kms - was away for a major part of the time out of Indore. The good news is that I have been transferred back to Indore and will get to drive the car more

Went in for the service to avoid warranty related issues later. When the vehicle was taken, noticed with a gasp that a mark equivalent to a small gash has shown up in the front fender. Dunno how it happened - looks like some one deliberately made that mark.

The service advisor asked me whether: (a) would I like to give a protective coat to the silencer costing about Rs. 900/- with about 2 or 3 years warranty and (b) magnetic cap for the tube valves. I declined both - since am living at Indore it does not make sense to have a coating for the silencer and the vehicle is new. Nevertheless would like to have the views of fellow BHPians on this. Having said that, I would like to mention that in my previous vehicle, Santro, the silencer got corroded in about 5 years and had to be replaced.

About putting the magnetic caps, it comes in a set of 5 and with lack of security in the apartment complex that I live, I could end up changing the caps fairly frequently.

Otherwise, it was a service that was more like the 1st service - one can say that no paisa vasool in the 2nd service.

Additionally, no updates on Honda delivering the rear spoiler and the front grille that is part of Jazz X. I phoned up Honda One on One and told them to give me refund alongwith interest as this is a clearly a deficiency of service. (No updates either from Honda or the dealer) - everytime it is I who makes the calls to Honda - dealer and the company. Let us see what happens.

Am likely to drive to Mumbai over the weekend to give this car a good workout that it is missing. If I do end up driving her to Mumbai, will post additional pictures.
aaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 21:42   #53
BHPian

Default Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP

Additional updates - Using Jopasu car cleaning kit:

Am back in Indore on account of a transfer and hence, driving and understanding the Jazz more !!

The long drives (one way) has not really gone beyond Ujjain (about 50 kms) and so far the best FE has been about 16 kmpl with AC on. Vehicle till today has run about 1100 kms. A scheduled trip to Mumbai had to be postponed. Running has been very smooth. Within the city, average FE is around 14 but can get to a low of around 12 with the kind of stop and go traffic

Sometime back, I bought Jopasu combi kit for car cleaning purposes (thanks to Adimicra !!) and I must say that it works rather well as can be seen from the photographs. For the purposes of cleaning I used only the long magic duster:

My opinion is that the Jopasu car cleaning kit is a very good one. As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, magic duster does an excellent work of removing the dust with the dust being absorbed by the duster rather than pushing it elsewhere. Total time to clean: about 10 minutes.

Before cleaning:

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0966.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0967.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0968.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0969.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0970.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0971.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0972.jpg

After cleaning -
I used only the magic duster and no water was used during cleaning:

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0976.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0977.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0978.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0979.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0980.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0981.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-pict0982.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-right-side-rear.jpg
In the above photograph you can see the door protector.

In addition, I bought floor mats - transparent variety and added the protectors. These floor mats have small "spikes" to ensure that they don't move around and stay in place. There were totally 14 pieces of protector in all - again transparent - that enabled the protectors to acquire the body color. Total damage: Rs. 2450/-

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-footmat1.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-footmat2.jpg

Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP-footmat3.jpg

Will keep updated this thread with more travel and car experiences !!
Old 31st January 2012, 22:00   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Updates as on January 17, 2012

Additionally, no updates on Honda delivering the rear spoiler and the front grille that is part of Jazz X. I phoned up Honda One on One and told them to give me refund alongwith interest as this is a clearly a deficiency of service. (No updates either from Honda or the dealer) - everytime it is I who makes the calls to Honda - dealer and the company. Let us see what happens.

Any luck with the grille/spoiler or refund yet?
dingolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 09:21   #55
BHPian

Default Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP - An Off note Fuel gauge ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
Any luck with the grille/spoiler or refund yet?
Not yet - however on January 25th afternoon, got a call from Honda 1on1 when I was in a meeting; asked her to give me call later; waiting for that call yet
On another note, there is something that I would like one of the Honda esp. Jazz guys can give me your thoughts:

My family and I normally fill in from a particular Petrol outlet because of reliability in terms of the quantity and quality. However, today (February 4, 2012) evening was a bit different.

On the Feb. 3, 2012: Returned to Indore after a long drive and as I was approaching my home, the Petrol meter in my new car (Honda Jazz) showed that I needed to refill. I went to this pump (this is the only fuel pump where we put our petrol) and put in Rs. 500/- worth of Petrol (7.10 litres). Immediately after filling in, the fuel gauge showed the approx. quantum of Petrol and showed that the range was reading as 165 kms. (By the by, through the journey the instant fuel economy meter was showing a FE of approx. 21.5 kmpl or thereabouts).

February 4, 2012: I did some local driving and travelled no more than 30 kms. within the city Indore.

As I was to go for one more drive (around 110 kms) on the 5th of February, I added another 7.10 litres of Petrol (worth Rs. 500) and on my way home when I checked the fuel gauge, I got a shock. The fuel gauge did not go up / had not gone up and the fuel range was showing 137 kms. - which means that no fuel was added at all!!! This is the 1st time some such thing has happened and I believe this issue needs to be investigated. I tried calling the dealer but no one picked up the phone. It is around 9:10 p.m. on February 4, 2012 as am writing this.

Updates on February 5, 2012: Prior to starting my drive to Ujjain, I went to the same Petrol station and filled in another 5 litres. I also informed the attendant about the issue on the previous evening. After adding Petrol, the fuel gauge showed the range as 366 kms. whereas in the previous evening, the fuel gauge showed 137 kms as the range, after adding 5 litres (almost no increase).

Possibility A: Assuming that Petrol was indeed added on February 4th, the quantum of Petrol would be in the range of 17 litres and that would work out a FE of about 21.5 kmpl.

Possibility B: Assuming that Petrol was NOT added on February 4th, the quantum of Petrol would be in the range of 12 litres and that would work out a FE of about 30.5 kmpl which is very unlikely.

Now, after completing the trip to Ujjain, the key statistics are as under:

Odometer read on completion of Journey to Indore: 1695
Odometer at Ujjain (prior to leaving for Indore): 1644

Trip meter on completion of Journey to Indore: 372.10
Trip meter at Ujjain (prior to leaving for Indore): 321.10

Fuel range on completion on returning to Indore: 354 kms
Fuel range on completion of journey to Ujjain: 394 kms.

I also must make a mention of the fuel gauge after filling petrol on the Feb. 5th. It showed that the car had more than half the tank filled up; however, it could not have more than 17 litres (as I added 5 litres each on February 3, 4 and 5 plus the balance of fuel on February 3 – it could not have been more than 2 to 3 litres as the range as 40 kms).

The good thing about the long drive that I undertook on February 3 was that the FE hit an average of 21.5 kmpl (on the FE gauge). However, I know this is only approximate.

Makes you somewhat confused??? Am more than a bit perplexed – should I complain to Honda about faulty fuel gauge or should I complain to Bharat Petroleum?

Am thinking of doing both. Any thoughts ???
Old 6th February 2012, 10:02   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey aaren! Great to see you back, buddy.

Quote:
Additional updates - Using Jopasu car cleaning kit:
Before cleaning:

After cleaning -
I used only the magic duster and no water was used during cleaning:

Wonderful! The Jopasu duster works like a charm. I must get one for my City as well.

From where did you get the kit, buddy? Is it available online or at any stores near me, I wonder?

Quote:
In addition, I bought floor mats - transparent variety and added the protectors. These floor mats have small "spikes" to ensure that they don't move around and stay in place. There were totally 14 pieces of protector in all - again transparent - that enabled the protectors to acquire the body color. Total damage: Rs. 2450/-
Looks quite good, and easy to clean. Which company?

I am trying to source something similar (after trying hard to procure 3D Kagu mats and failing) - dealer doesn't have it and the stores don't have it either. Maybe some store in Nagpur might have a set.

Quote:
Not yet - however on January 25th afternoon, got a call from Honda 1on1 when I was in a meeting; asked her to give me call later; waiting for that call yet
This is really sad. They should have provided you with the grille and the spoiler by now. Only reason I can think of is lack of parts due to the Thailand problem, plus no manufacturing of the Jazz in the past 2 months. But still, this is pretty pathetic from Honda. They should have contacted you and offered a refund, if they couldn't provide you the parts.

Production is bound to improve in the coming months, so maybe this will be solved soon. (hopefully!) Shoot an email to the Honda head honchos, or post a message on their facebook page. That should get their attention.

Quote:
On another note, there is something that I would like one of the Honda esp. Jazz guys can give me your thoughts:

As I was to go for one more drive (around 110 kms) on the 5th of February, I added another 7.10 litres of Petrol (worth Rs. 500) and on my way home when I checked the fuel gauge, I got a shock. The fuel gauge did not go up / had not gone up and the fuel range was showing 137 kms. - which means that no fuel was added at all!!! This is the 1st time some such thing has happened and I believe this issue needs to be investigated. I tried calling the dealer but no one picked up the phone. It is around 9:10 p.m. on February 4, 2012 as am writing this.

Makes you somewhat confused??? Am more than a bit perplexed – should I complain to Honda about faulty fuel gauge or should I complain to Bharat Petroleum?

I had read reports about Jazz's faulty fuel gauge elsewhere as well. Sometimes the needle gets stuck at a particular point of the meter (where it is previously at) and doesn't budge even when additional petrol is added to the tank. Could be a problem with the balloon in the tank which indicates the level of petrol in it - get it checked by the dealer.

Possibility A seems the more likely situation here.
Imagine the BP guys getting an email about vanishing petrol! It could start a new wave of protests in the country - "Hamari Petrol Puri Karo!"!!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th February 2012 at 10:04.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 11:21   #57
BHPian

Default Re: Playing Smooth Jazz…Radio Team BHP - An Off note Fuel gauge ??

Quote:
On the Feb. 3, 2012: Returned to Indore after a long drive and as I was approaching my home, the Petrol meter in my new car (Honda Jazz) showed that I needed to refill. I went to this pump (this is the only fuel pump where we put our petrol) and put in Rs. 500/- worth of Petrol (7.10 litres). Immediately after filling in, the fuel gauge showed the approx. quantum of Petrol and showed that the range was reading as 165 kms. (By the by, through the journey the instant fuel economy meter was showing a FE of approx. 21.5 kmpl or thereabouts).

February 4, 2012: I did some local driving and travelled no more than 30 kms. within the city Indore.
Possibility A: Assuming that Petrol was indeed added on February 4th, the quantum of Petrol would be in the range of 17 litres and that would work out a FE of about 21.5 kmpl.

Possibility B: Assuming that Petrol was NOT added on February 4th, the quantum of Petrol would be in the range of 12 litres and that would work out a FE of about 30.5 kmpl which is very unlikely.

Now, after completing the trip to Ujjain, the key statistics are as under:

Odometer read on completion of Journey to Indore: 1695
Odometer at Ujjain (prior to leaving for Indore): 1644

Trip meter on completion of Journey to Indore: 372.10
Trip meter at Ujjain (prior to leaving for Indore): 321.10

Fuel range on completion on returning to Indore: 354 kms
Fuel range on completion of journey to Ujjain: 394 kms.

I also must make a mention of the fuel gauge after filling petrol on the Feb. 5th. It showed that the car had more than half the tank filled up; however, it could not have more than 17 litres (as I added 5 litres each on February 3, 4 and 5 plus the balance of fuel on February 3 – it could not have been more than 2 to 3 litres as the range as 40 kms).

The good thing about the long drive that I undertook on February 3 was that the FE hit an average of 21.5 kmpl (on the FE gauge). However, I know this is only approximate.

Hey dude,
i face something very similar in my Jazz.
After 1st servicing i filled her up and onboard display showed an average of 15 - 16kmpl, which was pretty realistic.
After she ran dry and i filled her up last friday, the board has been displaying average of anywhere between 22.5 to 19.3. As i parked and came up just now, it was showing 18.5kmpl.
freak1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 12:55   #58
BHPian

Hi Aaren,

Great to see you after long buddy! The fuel problem is something I had encountered with my Getz many years ago. Glad you put it up. And am surprised such a problem affecting Honda cars!

I reckon get your balloon in the fuel tank checked, as that is what gives the meter reading of the tank to the gauge. Also, make sure whenever you fill fuel, stand there with the attendant and keep the hose a little up so that you get to see petrol being poured in. If the car is okay then straightaway lodge a complaint with the BP guys. But most of the time, cannot fault them.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 18:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Wonderful! The Jopasu duster works like a charm. I must get one for my City as well.

From where did you get the kit, buddy? Is it available online or at any stores near me, I wonder?

Looks quite good, and easy to clean. Which company?

I am trying to source something similar (after trying hard to procure 3D Kagu mats and failing) - dealer doesn't have it and the stores don't have it either. Maybe some store in Nagpur might have a set.

I had read reports about Jazz's faulty fuel gauge elsewhere as well. Sometimes the needle gets stuck at a particular point of the meter (where it is previously at) and doesn't budge even when additional petrol is added to the tank. Could be a problem with the balloon in the tank which indicates the level of petrol in it - get it checked by the dealer.

Possibility A seems the more likely situation here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
Hey dude,
i face something very similar in my Jazz.
After 1st servicing i filled her up and onboard display showed an average of 15 - 16kmpl, which was pretty realistic.
After she ran dry and i filled her up last friday, the board has been displaying average of anywhere between 22.5 to 19.3. As i parked and came up just now, it was showing 18.5kmpl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Hi Aaren,

Great to see you after long buddy! The fuel problem is something I had encountered with my Getz many years ago. Glad you put it up. And am surprised such a problem affecting Honda cars!

I reckon get your balloon in the fuel tank checked, as that is what gives the meter reading of the tank to the gauge. Also, make sure whenever you fill fuel, stand there with the attendant and keep the hose a little up so that you get to see petrol being poured in. If the car is okay then straightaway lodge a complaint with the BP guys. But most of the time, cannot fault them.
Few updates:

a. From Honda's side: This is a non-issue and is an expected behavior of the system (sorry can not help Geek's language ). According to the technical person at Honda Service station, there is a fairly lengthy doubled barred fuel line that runs from the tank to the engine and that can absorb quite a bit of fuel. So when a tank is filled in it is very possible that part of the fuel gets into the line and not be in the tank with the result that the fuel gauge does not register this and shows virtually the same amount of fuel after filling. It made sense to me because when I put an additional 5 litres in the tank on the 5th, the fuel gauge immediately reacted. So for the moment, this element of faulty fuel gauge has been put to rest.

b. From the Oil Company's side: In my hurry, I actually wrote to HPCL instead of Bharat Petroleum; but nevertheless, HPCL called up the Petrol Pump dealer who in turn called me and we had a detailed chat. And, believe me, this was totally unexpected and I guess, I have gained a friend out of this event and both the dealers and HPCL have gone up multiple notches in my eyes.

c. RavenAvi: Thanks for the comments. Regarding the mats, I do not know which company's it is but will let you know. I tried Kagu Mats, but no one's heard of it in this part of the country!! So that all but made my decision. Similarly, will give you the contact details of the person for Jopasu duster. The Jopasu magic wipe - which has microfibers - does a wonderful work when wet surfaces are cleaned; it just eats (or should I say drink ?) the water / moisture on the surface. It also does a dash good job when you do a dry clean.

Planning to put Sunfilm - most of the guys at Indore are having Garware sunfilm and am interested in having this only to reduce heat intake with the onset of summer. Not yet made up the mind. Will do some window shopping before going in for one.
Old 10th February 2012, 22:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Can you give details on the door protector?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote