Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd October 2011, 16:06   #31
BHPian

Default re: Chill Bill - New Ford Fiesta Titanium Petrol - a 50,000 km report

Congrats on buying the New Ford Fiesta. The car's rear does look acceptable in the colour you've chosen.

Waiting for more pics and updates from your side.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 13:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@hypermiler

As i would be driving the car on highways, and assuming the gear ratios for Diesel and Petrol are similar, please let me know at what rpm is the engine spinning when you hit the ton in 5th gear.
Hi MAS, noted the readings today on my trip to work:

RPM at 5th gear for various speeds:

- 100 kmph: ~2550 - 2600 rpm
- 80 kmph: ~2000 - 2075 rpm
- 60 kmph: ~1500 rpm

I did a 120 sometime back. Not very sure about the numbers, but must be:

- 120 kmph: ~3000 - 3100 rpm
hypermiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 01:15   #33
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
Hi MAS, noted the readings today on my trip to work:

RPM at 5th gear for various speeds:

- 100 kmph: ~2550 - 2600 rpm
- 80 kmph: ~2000 - 2075 rpm
- 60 kmph: ~1500 rpm

I did a 120 sometime back. Not very sure about the numbers, but must be:

- 120 kmph: ~3000 - 3100 rpm
Thanks Hypermiler. The rpm and corresponding speeds seem to be absolutely similar to my Fusion. I was expecting the engine to spin at a lower rpm as Ford had tuned the car for efficiency.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 12:19   #34
BHPian

Completed the 2.5k service. Cost: Rs. 0. Delivered in 4 1/2 hrs.

Opted for the 3M under chassis coating with a 5 year warranty: ~Rs. 3125.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:57   #35
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update.

The rains in the past few weeks had left most of Chennai roads battered and bruised. My Fusion had tough time going through them. How did your Fiesta manage the roads. I still remember, while driving the test drive car, the engine guard at the bottom scraped while reversing up the ramp in MPL. Kindly update.
Old 14th November 2011, 13:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The rains in the past few weeks had left most of Chennai roads battered and bruised. My Fusion had tough time going through them. How did your Fiesta manage the roads. I still remember, while driving the test drive car, the engine guard at the bottom scraped while reversing up the ramp in MPL. Kindly update.
So far, have not received a scrape under yet on the new Fiesta. Our roads are pretty bad and I scrape through on the older TDCi almost every day. But not on this one.

However, due to the rains, one of the mud-guards clasp came off loose when I drove quite fast on a water filled road. It was during the night and raining hard. I was going fairly fast on the highway and did not notice the sudden pool of water on the road, possibly 1/2 to 3/4' deep on one side. After that, every time I went up a speed breaker fast, heard some noise from the mud-guard which I guess was coming closer to the wheel. Took the car to the service station and got the clasp fixed free of cost. Am not able to hear the sound anymore.

Moral: Drive slowly while it is raining or immediately after.

Had some instances on my older Fiesta TDCi where water used to trickle in (a few drops) when I hit puddles of water going fast on the highway (80+ kmpl).

But it is very difficult to slow down with a very drivable car, especially when you see the empty open highway .
hypermiler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 21:56   #37
BHPian

Smile Re: Chill Bill - New Ford Fiesta Titanium Petrol - a 10,000km report

Almost a year and 10,000 km of joyful riding has paved the way for the 2nd (free labour) service today. Paid ~Rs.1300 for engine oil and other changes. Car was washed, polished and delivered. There was even an additional (senior?) service personnel who checked the indicators, headlights before the delivery which is something that I noticed new. Here are the observations, both good and bad:

The good:
  • The drive - still as good as ever. Love the steering feedback and the the control you have while going through winding roads
  • Fuel economy on the highways - as advertised, 16.5 to 17 kmpl on pure highway runs
  • Except for really nasty speed breakers with four adults + luggage, have not scrapped the bottom, yet.
  • Well planted at speeds over 120 kmph. Reached 145 max, but did not push it beyond. I know, I know, I am a sedate driver. The sweet spot seems to be at around 80 - 90 kmph where the average fuel consumption was tagged at 5.1 litres for 100 km. This works out to 19.5 kmpl. But I guess the figures reported would be a bit optimistic.
  • In-car entertainment is good with the option of USB, you have music that can run for two days without repeating.
  • In phone bluetooth access is quite good and sensitive that I do not have to shout and can talk normally for others to hear clearly.

The bad:
  • Not too many cars out. Though I get to see 3 - 4 daily on my commute from home to work.
  • Low speed turns exhibits a slight intermittent sound and vibration. The same was observed earlier and was slightly more prominent now. The service station mentioned that the part (forgot to enquire what) needs to be greased and the sound would go. After the second service, I have not noticed this much.

Minor niggles:
  • I end up getting 10 to 10.5 within the city. I would like to get better ;-)
  • Bluetooth connectivity indicator is located too much to the right within the recessed information window. The driver will have to crane the neck a bit to see if your phone has connected or not.
  • The front dash storage space is rather small. With the manual and the first-aid kit in, you will have very little space for anything else.
  • Single light at the front makes the rear really dark at the back. Particularly it gets difficult to see what is kept on the seats. Incidentally, as the front bottom lights filter in through the bottom of the front seats, the rear floor is illuminated a bit.
  • The bottom carpet mats are difficult to clean unless you use a vacuum cleaner. Looking at replacing them with rubber.
  • No possibility to clasp the driver's floor mat to the floor by means of a hook. My car was bought fairly early and the service personnel indicated that it would not be possible. The newer cars being currently sold do have this provision.
hypermiler is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 23:20   #38
BHPian

Completed the 20,000 km run and had the car serviced two weeks back. Charges came to ~Rs. 5000 where ~Rs. 1000 was for interior cleaning. Had indicated that I get some sounds while turning under slow speed as most other members in the forum indicated. The service personnel mentioned that the problem is with the steering column and replaced it under warranty (no cost). The rest are on engine oil change, air filter cleaning etc.

Plus: Car services, steering sound while turning gone, car interiors clean! Car is smoother to drive and less noisier.
Minuses: The 12v socket cap was lost. I did not have the time to go back. Need to get a replacement. The gear lever leather cover was not fixed properly. After pointing to the service personnel, it was fixed.
Old 2nd May 2013, 23:48   #39
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for the update. Congrats on reaching the 20K km mark. Where did you get your car serviced?

I had to replace the steering shaft on my drive too. My Fiesta has crossed 34K kms and I have now the rear shock/suspension noise, which is getting louder by the day.

The German made Goodyear tyres are running on their last legs and i will have to replace these very soon. How are your tyres doing?

Please keep this thread updated!!!
Old 25th May 2013, 10:37   #40
BHPian

Hi MAS, the car was serviced at OMR, Perungudi. However, I feel service at Nandanam (opposite to SIET) is better.

The tires are ok and would hold good for another 20,000km I think.
Old 5th October 2013, 23:13   #41
BHPian

Hi Hypermiler...congrats on your trouble free ownership of a really capable car. I am considering buying the petrol. Need to know, how much is the pulling affected with the ac on; especially when there are 3-4 people on board?
rednikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 16:21   #42

Hi Hypermiller,

What is the mileage that you get within the City? I only get 8-9 in peak city runs here in chennai. I raised this during my last service, they asked me to bring the car in for a mileage run.

@MAS - I too had the same problem with the Steering shaft noise @ 11k kms / 14 months. Ford replaced it under warranty.
clementj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 23:55   #43
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
@MAS - I too had the same problem with the Steering shaft 1k kms / 14 months. Ford replaced it under warranty.
Hi clementj

Congrats on buying and owing the New Fiesta. It's an amazing car to drive. I have driven 50000 kms on my Fiesta now and there is a faint noise coming from the steering shaft. I hope there is no problem.

@hypermiller - Please update your thread.
Old 28th October 2013, 00:51   #44
BHPian

Hi MAS, Does that steering shaft noise comes even in the newer cars? Just trying to understand as my friend is looking for a sedan.
Balaji31582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Hi Hypermiler...congrats on your trouble free ownership of a really capable car. I am considering buying the petrol. Need to know, how much is the pulling affected with the ac on; especially when there are 3-4 people on board?
Thanks. I do not see any difference in pulling with 3 or 4 people with a full load in the boot as well. I keep the AC on fully.