Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th November 2011, 15:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I don't think it is anything to do with the car. The softroader tires are just not up to speed on Indian roads. At least one member has also sustained similar damage on the tyre of his BMW X1.
Do keep in mind though that the X1 has low profile run-flat tyres & they are far more susceptible to sidewall damage than a regular H/T tyre would be
suman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 19:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

what about you chaps trying a group buy on 20north.com - provided of course one gets this particular size of tyre in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
Can we have have a group buy and import the tyres (Michelin Latitude Tour HP or similar) ourselfs. I think it will be a while before any company stocks this size...due to the new ISI regulation.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 08:07   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
what about you chaps trying a group buy on 20north.com - provided of course one gets this particular size of tyre in America.
That's an idea worth exploring. If we form a group, count me in.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 10:08   #49
BHPian

Hi Contessa, congrats on your purchase. I'm considering buying a Laura Ambienete TDI and your comment that Yeti came cheaper came as a surprise as in this case i'd surely consider a Yeti. Could you please tell me the version you bought and at what price OTR? also which dealer did you go to?
kumarsiddhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 17:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
That's an idea worth exploring. If we form a group, count me in.
I am game for this , lets get the AT tires for all the Yeti's on T-Bhp , I have not faced any problem till now with tires, it might be because I have not taken Yeti anywhere yet, just driving around the city!

Unfinished Leh trip of 2010 is still on my mind and before the next season starts it would be good to have AT tires!

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 15th November 2011 at 17:24.
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 17:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I am game for this , lets get the AT tires for all the Yeti's on T-Bhp , I have not faced any problem till now with tires, it might be because I have not taken Yeti anywhere yet, just driving around the city!

Unfinished Leh trip of 2010 is still on my mind and before the next season starts it would be good to have AT tires!

-Pramod
I've also had a Leh trip on mind for some time. I believe Guderian too is planning one; so is Behemoth. I wouldn't want to get on the trip without a trust-worthy set of tires.

I have no idea about the import procedures for the tires. I guess we'll need to rope in some one who knows how to handle this.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 18:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai

I've also had a Leh trip on mind for some time. I believe Guderian too is planning one; so is Behemoth. I wouldn't want to get on the trip without a trust-worthy set of tires.

I have no idea about the import procedures for the tires. I guess we'll need to rope in some one who knows how to handle this.
Yes Leh trip is definitely on for 2012 for us, though we are yet to decide on whether to do it in June or September. If we plan for September, will defintely join all of you who are also planning for September.
I am still hoping that we will be able to get some alternative tyres for the Yeti as going there with these tyres will be suicidal and one would face the risk of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere because of sidewall damage to multiple tyres.
Imports for tyres have become almost impossible and even thougn there are some guys in Delhi who still can source the tyres, the premium that they expect in 50% higher than market price and that too without warranty. Maybe some other members from Mumbai can checkhow easy / difficult it is there.
The tyres which I am considering are:
Yoko Ats 215/60R 16
BF Goodrich long trail T/A pro 215/60R 16
Michelin Latitude tour HP in same size.
Looking for help/ feedback from other experienced members!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 10:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
Hi Contessa, congrats on your purchase. I'm considering buying a Laura Ambienete TDI and your comment that Yeti came cheaper came as a surprise as in this case i'd surely consider a Yeti. Could you please tell me the version you bought and at what price OTR? also which dealer did you go to?
Kumar, I bought it during the time when they had a special offer. Mine is Ambiente. So this might not be applicable any longer; but i have heard that dealers are still giving substantial discounts on Yeti (Don't know exact numbers).
contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 14:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Congrats contessa on bringing the Yeti home! Most practical vehicle I can think of for the kind of life that one can live here in India. With the sun around I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Congrats Contessa!
And welcome to the Yeti Club on TBHP! So far 4 confirmed members now:Me, Sushil, Pramods, GlorymanU (and possibly 2 more Vb-san, Selfdrive - pls confirm!)
Well, unfortunately for me things did not go to plan and had to shelve the Yeti buying plan. And its only going downhill. I wish there was a Hill Assist control available for life too :(
But I still have the handbrake on it. Maybe a bit later, but you will eventually see an ownership thread here with my name on it.

till then I hope you guys regale us with your ownership tales. Happy driving!

Last edited by selfdrive : 25th January 2012 at 14:59.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 18:53   #55
BHPian

This is a update after 19k Km on the Yeti. Its going to be year since Skoda Yeti became part of our family.

Yeti is my 5th Car (I bought my first car in 2000). All my previous cards made me want more, just few months after ownership...but Yeti has been very satisfactory indeed. Except for a bigger boot (which is more of my wife's requirement, than mine), there is no other aspect that i would want more from a car. I think Yeti is just perfect for our roads.

Most of my driving has been on various highways in TN and Karnataka.

Long Distance Driving : Compared to my earlier Octavia, driving 400 Km non stop - is a lot more effortless on the Yeti. On one of the last trips - I left BLR at 4:00am and reached (~600km) Tirunelveli @ 11:30am without driving at crazy speeds. It was a very relaxed drive and i could have done a full 8 hour work shift, after reaching Tirunelevli.

The big and powerful fog lamp is very very useful, when driving in the night and visibility is poor.

Services :
* I gave my car for first service when it had done a little over 14k Km. Guys at TAFE did a very good job. A lot of rattle noise stopped after the service. Overall it was a very satisfactory experience, except they did not fix the A/C (excuse was that the Firmware upgrade would fix it).

* I had go back to get the A/C unit (Compressor and Dryer) replaced. A/C is significantly better now. I think this is a standard problem with Yeti and the new Laura.

* Before the first service, something had come lose in the rear suspension and it was making a lot of noise. This was fixed during the service.

* One Crazy Accident : While crusing on a empty stretch of BLR-Mysore four lane highway, a crazy swift driver banged the Yeti, from the side. The only reason was - the Swift driver losing control when overtaking me at speeds in excess of 120km/hr (Yeti was at around 80km/hr). TAFE fixed it satisfactorily and costed me around Rs.5500/- (The front fender required rework/painting and the bumper was okay with a little touch-up). The damage on the Swift was a lot more ..

* It was during A/C installation that i noticed that there had been serious attrition amoung staff and TAFE was struggling to keep with service demands. This was more than 2 months ago, and i hope things have improved. Why can't they take better care of thier employees ...especially when Rapid is doing so very well !!

Work this year has been particularly hectic and kept me away from Yeti. Else, I would have easily done around 30K Km by now, but i do hope i can make it up in the second year.
Old 1st July 2012, 21:19   #56
BHPian

Now about tyres.

In general, i think the GoodYear Excellence tyres are atleast better than the NCT5 which i replaced with Michelin Primacy LC, on two my previous cars. I did feel, the GY Excellence does not provide the best of grip. But so far, there has been no crack or damage to the sidewall, despite a few off-road and bad roads.

During the first service, the TAFE guys could not do the alignment. I recently got it done outside (Iyengar Tyres) after the car had done 18k Km.

I noticed that the front tyre (especially the edges) had worn off much more than the rear ones. The tyres were roated at the Iyengar's shop. During wheel alignment, the required weight was between 30-74 grams in different tyres.

After the balancing, alignment and rotation - The noise has come down considerably (which i think is because, the tyres on the front has more rubber now).

I'm continuing my search for a good tyre. I know how much of an upgrade Michelins were in my previous cars. Right now, the only option is Bridgestone ER-370 !!

Last edited by contessa : 1st July 2012 at 21:21.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a update after 19k Km on the Yeti. Its going to be year since Skoda Yeti became part of our family.

Most of my driving has been on various highways in TN and Karnataka.

Services :
* I gave my car for first service when it had done a little over 14k Km. Guys at TAFE did a very good job.
A few questions from my side:

1. How many people do you usually ferry around in the Yeti?
2. What has been your general fuel efficiency so far with and without the ac?
3. What was the service break up and the service bill for your first service?
4. Do you have any pics of the accident and can you post them if possible to assess the damage?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A few questions from my side:

1. How many people do you usually ferry around in the Yeti?
2. What has been your general fuel efficiency so far with and without the ac?
3. What was the service break up and the service bill for your first service?
4. Do you have any pics of the accident and can you post them if possible to assess the damage?
1. It would be either 2 Adult+2 Children or 4 Adult+2 Children - depending on availability of grand parents. Space has never been a problem, coming from Octavia.
2. If driven at 80-100 on highway you easily get around 20kmpl. But if you drive past 3 digits, then it will be around 18kmpl. City driving can be 13-16kmpl, depending on traffic and road conditions.
3. The service costed around Rs.7500/-. Major component being the Synthectic Oil (Rs.4k+) and couple of filter replacements.
4. Sorry, no photo of the accident. The front fender required a little tinkeing and re-paint...nothing major.

Hope it helps.
contessa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:30   #59
BHPian

[quote=contessa;2826755]1. It would be either 2 Adult+2 Children or 4 Adult+2 Children - depending on availability of grand parents. Space has never been a problem, coming from Octavia.

when you say 4 adults and 2 children, how big or how small are the children?
I dont see space for 5 adult (ie: if i take 2 kids as 1 adult). If it does i will be more than happy.

cheers

@ IT Nerd.
YoKo HT Geo 215 60 16 The Load Index is 670 kg and speed rating is H=210kmph.

I would also be interested if you could source it.

I read the rating of these Yoko HT is average 5 :(

here is the link
Yokohama*Geolandar H/T G900

@ITNerd its G900 and not G051 which is a 215/70 16.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd July 2012 at 18:28. Reason: You are making too many posts too often. Please post replies at one go. Use Multiquote and Edit buttons.
twinoctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 18:24   #60
BHPian

[quote=twinoctober;2827872]
Quote:
1. It would be either 2 Adult+2 Children or 4 Adult+2 Children - depending on availability of grand parents. Space has never been a problem, coming from Octavia.

when you say 4 adults and 2 children, how big or how small are the children?
I dont see space for 5 adult (ie: if i take 2 kids as 1 adult). If it does i will be more than happy.

cheers
Children are 10 & 5. I have taken 5 average sized adults in my car on a trip to Mysore...no one complained