Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st December 2011, 10:41   #166
BHPian

Default re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

When you finish the amby vally drive upload video of the drive.

Last edited by brraj : 1st December 2011 at 10:42.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:31   #167
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

After being in Dieselite's 530, I have no doubts about the insane speeds these cars can manage. Even before the blink of an eye, the next turn on the road is already there!

The lineup of cars look mighty impressive. How lovely would it be to have a garage filled with those .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 14:03   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
When you finish the amby vally drive upload video of the drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
After being in Dieselite's 530, I have no doubts about the insane speeds these cars can manage. Even before the blink of an eye, the next turn on the road is already there!

The lineup of cars look mighty impressive. How lovely would it be to have a garage filled with those .
No videos guys. Maybe next time we go we will take some.

You wouldn't believe it but the ML320cdi left everyone in its dust including the A4 3.0tdi and the 3.2fsi
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 14:49   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You wouldn't believe it but the ML320cdi left everyone in its dust including the A4 3.0tdi and the 3.2fsi
Surprising, how is that possible? or is it just because of the driver / bad roads?

Because ML320cdi 0-100 is around 8sec where as audis 3ltr tdi/fsi is less than 6.5sec.

Last edited by brraj : 1st December 2011 at 15:18.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 16:16   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprising, how is that possible? or is it just because of the driver / bad roads?

Because ML320cdi 0-100 is around 8sec where as audis 3ltr tdi/fsi is less than 6.5sec.

Driver. DRIVER ANYDAY !!
Besides what is an A4 3.0 tdi/fsi anyway if the same ML was giving a cayenne turbo a run for its money on the way back ? LOL . WHAT A DAY !
Yeah you are right the 3.0 tdi is 6.2 to the ton and the 3.2 fsi is 6.4/5 but we were wayyyy past those speeds by then. All i can tell you is i was doing godforsaken speeds (like really !) & still i could see the ML pulling away from me.
Now take a wild guess what my speed was and then imagine a 2 ton elephant still pulling away.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 17:15   #171
Senior - BHPian

PT: I can well imagine the speeds you guys were at!
If my 1.8 TSi Superb can reach close to 180, I can imagine what a 3.2 FSi can do.
Same goes with Akshay's 320.

But an ML giving a Cayenne Turbo a run! Man, this ML driver got to have some driving skills .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 18:56   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It was all the driver buddy. I have new respect for the ML.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Driver. DRIVER ANYDAY !!
Besides what is an A4 3.0 tdi/fsi anyway if the same ML was giving a cayenne turbo a run for its money on the way back ? LOL . WHAT A DAY !
Yeah you are right the 3.0 tdi is 6.2 to the ton and the 3.2 fsi is 6.4/5 but we were wayyyy past those speeds by then. All i can tell you is i was doing godforsaken speeds (like really !) & still i could see the ML pulling away from me.
Now take a wild guess what my speed was and then imagine a 2 ton elephant still pulling away.
The ML Driver's nickname on the forum says it all.

It really was a great drive from the beginning of the expressway till the toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
PT: I can well imagine the speeds you guys were at!
If my 1.8 TSi Superb can reach close to 180, I can imagine what a 3.2 FSi can do.
Same goes with Akshay's 320.

But an ML giving a Cayenne Turbo a run! Man, this ML driver got to have some driving skills .
Lets leave the speeds out of the question now. But yes all the cars were very well behaved and none of us really felt the speeds.

The real fun was on the Aamby road. Beautifully smooth, with so many nice hairpins. I was very impressed with the transmission of the 3, kept it in sports throughout and it was always right in the powerband. While coming back down too it always downshifted and gave me enough engine breaking. Its sad BMW is softening their cars down a bit now, the E90 is probably the last of the real raw BMWs.

I think we made it from Mcdonalds to Aamby in about 40 minutes of driving time?

Another thing which surprised me was after this Sunday I didn't use the car for 3 days. The next time I started it, the car was driving really smoothly. Even the suspension seemed to have softened up a bit. The ECU had probably adapted to that highway driving. Of course now its back to its normal self.
Attached Images

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st December 2011 at 18:58.
Old 18th December 2011, 11:22   #173
Team-BHP Support

SO yesterday I popped over to Infinity since they had a demo car with the BMW performance kit installed. The full kit was installed, that means the new ECU, cooling fan, intercooler, and silencer. And on top of that these guys had also installed a different steering wheel with paddles. The only issue was that these paddles were not the DCT type (one side for upshift and one for down) but those other silly paddles where you can upshift and downshift from one paddle itself. I didn't like these at all and stopped using them after a minute.

Anyway now back to the car. I parked my car and waited for the demo car to come. I was waiting to hear the so called 'sporty' sound of the new silencer. But there was no excess noise when the car was idling over the normal diesel clatter. Once I got inside I noticed the car was more silent than mine. I started off, the car felt slightly more responsive with normal driving but it didn't feel like a huge difference. I got a little space and got to feel the 2nd gear push, it again felt quite similar to the normal car.

But then I got to Worli Seaface and redlined it a few times, and man it certainly felt much quicker. The power continued till the redline instead of tapering off at 3.5k rpm. The engine sounded much less strained at higher rpms and it sounded a bit more sporty. The same push that I got in second gear was there in third too, which was very impressive. That means that the car just jumps the same way from 60-90 that it does from 35-60kmph.

I managed to take it upto about 120 and it got there reasonably quickly. The torque seemed better in every gear too. Overall it seemed like a great thing to add on, though the 1.4l price tag is arguably too much. The good thing is that the power and torque is nicely spread across the rev band.

After that when I got back into my car, I was thinking that the kit made a difference, but not suchhhh a huge one. As soon as I started my car and started driving off, the car felt dead. It was only then I realised that the kit actually did make quite a difference.

Now about my car, since day one I've been noticing that there is some noise everytime I go over a sharp bump, and I think its from the steering column. Also the brakes on my car felt less sensitive than the ones on the demo car. Just need to get these 2 things checked up. Oh yeah, not once did the traction light come on, in the other car inspite of it having thinner tyres than my car. It just shows the stock Bridgestones are quite useless and should be changed soon.
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:49   #174

Great thread akshay. I just test drove a 320d Dynamic a few hours ago. I am seriously considering it, though my friends insist I wait for the F30, the Q3 or get the VFM Skoda Superb. I will be upgrading from my 3 year old Fabia which has been a trusty companion.

I had always wanted the Laura and the new vRS is definitely one I don't mind but after driving the 320d I can't think of any other car and boyhood dream has been to own a 3 series.

They are offering a 2L discount till end of December. After which the prices increase by 3L due to change in Euro rates.

Should I pull the trigger now or wait till March when there should be better discounts due to the F30 coming in July/September?
SidMeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:49   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMeer View Post
Great thread akshay. I just test drove a 320d Dynamic a few hours ago. I am seriously considering it, though my friends insist I wait for the F30, the Q3 or get the VFM Skoda Superb. I will be upgrading from my 3 year old Fabia which has been a trusty companion.

I had always wanted the Laura and the new vRS is definitely one I don't mind but after driving the 320d I can't think of any other car and boyhood dream has been to own a 3 series.

They are offering a 2L discount till end of December. After which the prices increase by 3L due to change in Euro rates.

Should I pull the trigger now or wait till March when there should be better discounts due to the F30 coming in July/September?
wait till march, the pricing for the f30 is not even released yet, speculation is that the new 3 series is cheaper to make by 10pc for bmw as they have borrowed a lot of the parts from the 5 & 1 series for the new 3series, i would suggest u wait if u can otherwise its still a great buy if u can't wait
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:29   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMeer View Post

1)Was this from Infinity? Make sure you didn't drive the demo car with the performance pack and that it was a stock car. Leave the Superb out the engine just cannot match the competition. That way the Passat is a good car but its not really involving to drive at all. For me the biggest + of the F30 is the 8 speed gearbox. The engine will be the same and one thing is that it certainly won't be as involving to drive as the E90.

2)Are petrol cars fine with you? Then check out the Superb V6 too, its a great car. Yes they had mentioned that the prices will go up, though not by 3 lac. What I was told was that it would be more like 1.5l or so. If you do like the E90 then pick it up now. IMO just get the exclusive, I'm sure you can get close to a 5l discount on that now and the difference won't be too much over the dynamic but you get soo many more features. Since it has been your dream why not get the fully loaded one. They will have some in stock.
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:07   #177
Team-BHP Support

The car got its first ding yest. I was at the airport dropping someone, and a cab comes and parks next to my car and I notice that he has parked quite close. Just then I realise that if the person opening the door is not careful its going to hit my car. I take a step forward so I can tell the person inside to be careful while opening the door, and BAM it opens and hits my car. I mean can't people see that there is a car right next to them and open the door slowly?

So after that I lost my cool and the passenger and the cab driver were apologising quite a bit, and anyway I there was nothing more I could do.

The end results is a tiny imperfection (dent) in the door probably about 1.5cm long which cannot be seen from most angles, and a little black paint of the cab door.

Well so thats over and done with now
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:14   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I mean can't people see that there is a car right next to them and open the door slowly?

So after that I lost my cool and the passenger and the cab driver were apologising quite a bit, and anyway I there was nothing more I could do.

The end results is a tiny imperfection (dent) in the door probably about 1.5cm long which cannot be seen from most angles, and a little black paint of the cab door.
This is really frustrating. I went through exactly the same scenario yesterday at a Mall's parking. There was a little space in between my car and the one parked next bu not enough for another car to fit in. This guy somehow manages to squeeze in his wagonr. I lowered down my window and told him to be careful with his door. He had a really tough time to get out of his door after that without banging it into my car. But the thing is if I wouldn't have been there in the car he would have happily left a scratch/dent.

Don't understand when people will learn that some of us do value our cars preciously.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:19   #179
BHPian

Quote:
The car got its first ding yest. I was at the airport dropping someone, and a cab comes and parks next to my car and I notice that he has parked quite close. Just then I realise that if the person opening the door is not careful its going to hit my car. I take a step forward so I can tell the person inside to be careful while opening the door, and BAM it opens and hits my car. I mean can't people see that there is a car right next to them and open the door slowly?

Well so thats over and done with now
**** happens, its called bombay bro, these people are so much in a hurry as if they are late for signing a multi crore deal, good you gave it to them
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:26   #180
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the ding. The black paint can be removed almost completely by Formula 1 carnauba wax, as per my experience, which wlll make the ding almost invisible.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote