Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th September 2012, 09:45   #301
BHPian

Default re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
In my opinion, Black looks great. White and Spokes Black with White Lip don't look that great.
Black colour is completely in sync with all your carbon fiber add on and will compliment to the over all character of your car.

don't forget to post the complete detailed wheels painting procedure also. a video will be highly appreciated
toms_2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 11:29   #302
BHPian

Default re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

Gunmetal would suit other paints. Experiment with gloss and matte black. I think, matte would be a best option for a guy.

pEaCe
AirbusA340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 12:38   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly different opinion from my side. For the space grey shade, I feel neither the gun metal nor the black rims will gel well. Stock / dark silver alloys look the best IMHO.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 23:02   #304
Senior - BHPian

Matt Black or Gloss Black, Mr Akshay.

Grey looks too plain
White looks too quirky.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 00:16   #305
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys, sorry for not replying. Have decided on a shade a bit darker than the gunmetal I photoshopped earlier. White would just look odd, and make the contrast (which I wanted to reduce) even more. This shade will look good, and even member free2bpowerless is getting it done on an E90 325i which he picked up last week.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 11:30   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey guys, sorry for not replying. Have decided on a shade a bit darker than the gunmetal I photoshopped earlier. White would just look odd, and make the contrast (which I wanted to reduce) even more. This shade will look good, and even member free2bpowerless is getting it done on an E90 325i which he picked up last week.
Put up some pics after its done. True, the darker the better. It'll look very good on your paint.

AirbusA340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 16:30   #307
BHPian

Quote:

The shade we decided will look killer 1 week to go

When are you getting the white halo rings?
fre2bpowerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 23:32   #308
BHPian

Hi Akshay! Could you let us all know the price of the splitters and spoiler? Will it cost the same if I wanted body coloured ones? Also i'm suprised not many people have changed the LED rings from yellow to white. Does it have to do with personal preference or will tinkering with the yellow LED rings affect BSI/Secure etc?
saketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 15:01   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketa View Post
Hi Akshay! Could you let us all know the price of the splitters and spoiler? Will it cost the same if I wanted body coloured ones? Also i'm suprised not many people have changed the LED rings from yellow to white. Does it have to do with personal preference or will tinkering with the yellow LED rings affect BSI/Secure etc?
The splitters and spoiler were pretty cheap, don't remember the exact but they were from this seller called cnbjautofans on ebay usa. The spoiler fit well, but the splitters were and little off. But I'd much rather have the splitters a little off than pay a huge amount in case they hit somewhere.

As for the white halos, not too many people are interested in touching their BMWs, and out of those who are most would be too scared to do any mods. Also the white halos on older cars are not as bright as the yellow lights, but still they do look better. The white halos are plug and play, so technically it should not affect the BSI unless it causes some problems.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 19:30   #310
BHPian

Akshay, There is a BMW recommended procedure to paint the Alloys. You also get aluminum fillers from BMW to rebuild any small damage/scratch the alloys would have had during the course of use so far. You end up with a better overall finish.

Get in touch with your dealer to check if he has the instructions. Else PM me, I can download it for you. Essentially it states, no paint on bead area, on the rubber valve area and the holes where the wheel mounting bolts sit. There is a possibility of the bolts coming loose etc.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 20:24   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Akshay, There is a BMW recommended procedure to paint the Alloys. You also get aluminum fillers from BMW to rebuild any small damage/scratch the alloys would have had during the course of use so far. You end up with a better overall finish.

Get in touch with your dealer to check if he has the instructions. Else PM me, I can download it for you. Essentially it states, no paint on bead area, on the rubber valve area and the holes where the wheel mounting bolts sit. There is a possibility of the bolts coming loose etc.
Would be great if you can send me the links for the paint procedure and for the finisher.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:27   #312
BHPian

Akshay: Here is the link

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55922352/A...m-Wheel-Repair

Extract pertaining to paint work on wheels is on page 5. In case the kink does not work, I copied and pasted the text over here.

Good Luck and I hope you find it useful.

Paintwork:

Generally it is allowed to paint alloy wheels with base coat and clear coat under consideration of the following points (repainting), it can be repaired without restriction on the entire front side of the rim

This involves a cast alloy wheel with the identification mark (AlSi7, AlSi11, AISi12) - This can be seen forged/stamped on the inner side of the wheel spokes when you flip the wheel.
In the case of fine machined alloy wheels only the clear varnish on the entire front side of the wheel can be repaired

General information:

Subsequent turning on the lathe of fine machined alloy wheels is prohibited.
It is prohibited to paint the contact area between alloy wheel and tire (danger off sliding). Use for masking the Soft-Edge Masking Foam Tape, part number
51 91 0 402 929.
Paint work on the backside of the rim edge is not permitted
Alloy wheel treatment with sandblasting machines and their sandblast materials is not permitted
On no account must the seat of the screw + borehole be painted!
The area of contact of the alloy wheel as well as the inner surface and the rim well must not be painted!
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 14:39   #313
Team-BHP Support

Small Update - One of my RFTs is busted. There was a 1 inch cut in the tread, not the sidewall. Don't think it will be advisable to use the tyre. Hence I'm going to switch all 4 to tubeless. The issue is only Michelin PS3s are available. I just hope the sidewalls on those aren't too soft. Can't deal with bubbles. Anyone any opinions on PS3s?

Oh also the powerkit and exhaust were ordered, the exhaust is in Mumbai with the powerkit expected soon.
Old 9th October 2012, 18:42   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Small Update - One of my RFTs is busted. There was a 1 inch cut in the tread, not the sidewall. Don't think it will be advisable to use the tyre. Hence I'm going to switch all 4 to tubeless. The issue is only Michelin PS3s are available. I just hope the sidewalls on those aren't too soft. Can't deal with bubbles. Anyone any opinions on PS3s?

Oh also the powerkit and exhaust were ordered, the exhaust is in Mumbai with the powerkit expected soon.
Hey Akshay, I was recently researching tyres and chanced upon a neat website changemytyre.com see if it helps!
elantracrdi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 01:28   #315
BHPian

Hey akshay,

I saw this video. If you are still considering the gun metal shade for your alloys you could try something like this out.

http://www.doobybrain.com/2012/07/01...y-spray-paint/
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote