Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st October 2012, 19:48   #331
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Nothing gets sorted man. The E90's brake pedal is genetically programmed to squeak all it's life
Mine isn't Though I am getting a tiny bit of judder from the brakes, need to get the discs resurfaced when I send the car for the power kit.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 19:07   #332
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

Power Kit Installed

I just picked up the car after having the power kit installed. It comprises of the following additions -
1 New ECU with more aggressive map
2 Larger intercooler
3 More powerful cooling fan
4 Larger intercooler hoses and air ducts
5 Performance silencer

The car feels more refined at idle, a reasonable amount of clatter which was there earlier is now gone. Start driving it and you notice instantly how much more responsive the car seems, and its eagerness to go. The shifts seem to be quicker too and in sport mode give you a little jerk, kind of like much higher performance cars give.

It now revvs to the redline much faster, earlier the car used to run out of steam after 3500rpm but now it pulls much harder. It certainly feels faster till 100, and after 100 its a different story altogether from the stock car.

The silencer is not noticeable at idle. But when revved it gives out a throaty growl which sounds nothing like a petrol, but yet sounds ok. I don't know how much of a performance gain this has added but man those twin tips look good.

Expect pics and further report of it soon.

p.s - Special thanks to Sushil at Navnit for making this happen.
Akshay1234 is online now   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 21:50   #333
BHPian

Default Re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg.

Hi Akshay !
Thats quite a garage you have.
You finally took the plunge. sweet! How much did it cost? There was some uncertainty about the price. no?
Also, What happens to the stock intercooler and related parts. Do they return it? If in case you want to revert to stock at a later stage?

Cheers
vibhu_f430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 22:46   #334
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg.

Congrats Akshay.

Finally the long awaited Powerkit is here.Now your car can keep up with the others at the DDT Drives.
Any updates with the alloys paint?

Please post some pictures soon.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 11:45   #335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Hi Akshay !
Thats quite a garage you have.
You finally took the plunge. sweet! How much did it cost? There was some uncertainty about the price. no?
Also, What happens to the stock intercooler and related parts. Do they return it? If in case you want to revert to stock at a later stage?

Cheers
Thanks, it cost 2.15 including the silencer and fitment of everything. It is a bit pricey but then my BSI and warranty is not affected.

I got the stock parts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congrats Akshay.

Finally the long awaited Powerkit is here.Now your car can keep up with the others at the DDT Drives.
Any updates with the alloys paint?

Please post some pictures soon.
Thanks. Lol that was not an issue even earlier

I'm again confused about painting. Either way the car isn't looking bad now so I'm going to wait till I can decide.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 19:49   #336
BHPian

Waiting for the pictures! Is the performance difference really significant? I've been thinking of getting this mod a year down the line for my 3, and it would be awesome if you could give more info & in more words on how much of a difference it really is and and if it's really worth the entire hassle of modding it!
dreamtheater39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 20:48   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheater39 View Post
Waiting for the pictures! Is the performance difference really significant? I've been thinking of getting this mod a year down the line for my 3, and it would be awesome if you could give more info & in more words on how much of a difference it really is and and if it's really worth the entire hassle of modding it!
I am going to put it down in more words soon, with the pics. But I want to drive it a bit more before I do that. Let me describe it simply for you now but. I'm sure you know the push you get in 2nd gear from 40-60, well in 3rd you get the same push from 60-90. Also the car feels significantly more powerful above 100 and pretty high speeds are reached much more effortlessly than before. Also the mileage seems to be a tad bit better since the gearbox can shift earlier, and the torque converter locks up earlier I think.

To be honest I think the power figures given by BMW are under rated by a fair amount.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 12:50   #338
BHPian

Post Re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg.

Okay now that I've read your thread, Navnit or Infinity for the Beemer assuming I get the kit for the 320 Sports? Where's your vote?
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 16:32   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Okay now that I've read your thread, Navnit or Infinity for the Beemer assuming I get the kit for the 320 Sports? Where's your vote?
Whoever gives you a better quote and has your colour preference in stock
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 15:02   #340
Team-BHP Support

Heres a little review on the power kit -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2984539 (BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D)
Old 19th February 2013, 12:13   #341
Team-BHP Support

Having had the car for about 16 months now, I just enjoy it driving it more and more every day. Its about to hit 10k kms, and the engine has opened up nicely. With the addition of the power kit the diesel clatter has gone down, and it does feel refined once warmed up.

I've also got to know the car perfectly, and know its limits. If there is one negative point to the car, it is its stiff ride. It has improved quite a bit due to the switch to tubeless tyres. But it is still not something that a non-enthusiast will like. Smaller bumps are taken care off and are damped very well. But anything more you have to slow down for, and there is a thud.

Inspite of the stiff suspension and banging through bumps, not a single rattle in the car. The exception is one of the dash cup holders which makes a rattling noise sometimes. E90 owners make sure no one puts a 500ml bottle in those cupholders, it makes the cupholders rattle a bit. The car is solid and feels extremely well built. With just a little bit of maintenance, all the plastics and leather in the interiors look just like new.

Leave the stiff ride aside, and it is a beautiful car. Even though it is just a 2l car, its got more than enough grunt for anything you put in front of it. Be it a highway drive, or just darting into gaps in city traffic, the N47 never fails to disappoint. The handling is something I swear by, and it just never seems to lose grip. The steering is so direct, you know everything thats happening and always feel in control. High speed stability is something else, and you always feel about 50kmph slower unless you look at the dials.

Of course the power kit and switch to tubeless have helped the car a lot, it still is a brilliant car without those too. Definitely the most fun compact luxury car. If there was one thing I would want from the F30, its the 8 speed transmission which would have improved the driving experience a fair amount. Not that the current 6 speed is bad by any standards.

Idrive is a pleasure to use, and its a great feature which makes everything so easy. The 10 speaker system is good too, though I still feel it lacks some bass at times. Its got pretty much all the features you could want in a car.

The bottom line is, this car is loads of fun and I'm really glad that we have it. It doesn't feel dated at all even though the F30 is out, I don't regret buying the E90 one bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23-img2013021600051.jpg  

Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23-img2013021600053.jpg  

Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 20:57   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Having had the car for about 16 months now, I just enjoy it driving it more and more every day. Its about to hit 10k kms, and the engine has opened up nicely. With the addition of the power kit the diesel clatter has gone down, and it does feel refined once warmed up.

I've also got to know the car perfectly, and know its limits. If there is one negative point to the car, it is its stiff ride. It has improved quite a bit due to the switch to tubeless tyres. But it is still not something that a non-enthusiast will like.

The bottom line is, this car is loads of fun and I'm really glad that we have it. It doesn't feel dated at all even though the F30 is out, I don't regret buying the E90 one bit.
Hey Akshay, can't agree more with your views! My car is now a couple days shy of a year with about 22k on the odo and I am still in love. Will be updating the thread with new pics shortly. Got new 18" wheels with Yokohama decibels and also got the black grill and the blackened side sills. It now looks just the way I want it to

The race chip is doing awesome and I agree, the extra punch is something I hate living without! Still thinking about the BMW version of it though because I still don't know if it will be significantly better than my car...wish Delhi had a demo car with it installed. Also, have gone broke on the wheels n tyres...again!

In the mean time, here's a pic of the wheels, the day I got them.
Attached Images

elantracrdi05 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 21:05   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post
Hey Akshay, can't agree more with your views! My car is now a couple days shy of a year with about 22k on the odo and I am still in love. Will be updating the thread with new pics shortly. Got new 18" wheels with Yokohama decibels and also got the black grill and the blackened side sills. It now looks just the way I want it to

The race chip is doing awesome and I agree, the extra punch is something I hate living without! Still thinking about the BMW version of it though because I still don't know if it will be significantly better than my car...wish Delhi had a demo car with it installed. Also, have gone broke on the wheels n tyres...again!

In the mean time, here's a pic of the wheels, the day I got them.
How I envy you man, that is still possible on Delhi roads. Over here I would be changing a bent rim and a tyre with a bubble every month if I switch to 18s. I'm sure with tubeless the ride is the same as 17s on runflats. Are those Advan Sports? 245s?

Also if you ever are in Bombay, try my car out and see the difference with racechip for yourself.

Man your car will look mean with the black grill. By side sills do you mean the chrome around the window?
Old 20th February 2013, 21:19   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
How I envy you man, that is still possible on Delhi roads. Over here I would be changing a bent rim and a tyre with a bubble every month if I switch to 18s. I'm sure with tubeless the ride is the same as 17s on runflats. Are those Advan Sports? 245s?

Also if you ever are in Bombay, try my car out and see the difference with racechip for yourself.

Man your car will look mean with the black grill. By side sills do you mean the chrome around the window?
The roads here are pretty decent for the most part but yes, the yokos are slightly soft so I will have to be careful on the rough roads. The tyres are the ES500 245/40 R18s (the newer ones are ES501s) Advan DBS Decibels. I have a square set up so the fronts are the same too. Initially I was skeptical about whether these would fit but after detailed calculations, I was sure about them.

I do mean the chrome around the windows - the pic above does not reflect it since I got it done just today after the black glossy grills. I have also installed mud flaps since the tyres were causing a serious amount of dirt / water splashing onto the front doors and rear view mirrors.

The grill though is mean!

Will probably hit bombay in march end sometime so will pm you in advance, thanks for the offer!

Pics and update tomorrow!
elantracrdi05 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 12:15   #345
BHPian

Akshay I couldn't agree more with you when you say that the car always feels 50kmph less than it is actually doing unless you look at the dials! And the grip feels like it has no limits with this car.

After reading your review of the performance kit, even I am seriously considering getting it fitted once I come back to India in July. And going by some of the above post I think it will be a necessity if I accompany you guys on the DDT drives.

It cost you 2.15 lacs right? I hope the price doesn't increase by then.
swopsk293 is offline   Reply With Quote