Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th October 2011, 03:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

The boy racers are a huge problem here in Ahmedabad, esp. the bikers, they are not only a danger to their own lives with the way they try to race but also I let go and slow down a lot considering how they try to get close and race when all I am doing is driving without any motives to race.

I recommend just ignore these people, win or loose, they never will achieve the driving pleasure you go through, every day, every minute and all the time!

Regards,

P.S when do we see performance upgrades from BMW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The car is now at 700kms. I'm just counting down the days till I can take it on a proper drive Are there any other questions, or pictures I can take for you guys?

Another thing I've noticed is that like my Accord, many wannabes keep trying to race with me. I mean if I'm enjoying my drive, accelerating a bit here and there I see people flashing lights, honking and sticking to my behind trying to race. If only the car was run in I could have taught them a thing or two. lol
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 10:50   #107

Default re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

BMW is "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" period. Nothing ever compares to a beemer. As a travelling consultant I might have driven close to 50 different cars / suv / muvs. I personally owned a low miles Acura (a so called premium brand from Honda, sorry Honda owners/admirers here), after running for about an year, i saw it rattling, speakers sounding like the cheap low end after market ones with some kinda shrilling etc.

I then went to test drive an 8-yr old 2001 BMW 330i with 80k miles (over 1,30,000 km) and it was the most memorable driving moments. The engine revved as if it was just out of the factory. Nothing did feel like a BMW until then and nothing ever felt like a BMW after selling it off (yeah, I had to sell it when I relocated out of US)
OffDaBeemer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 11:36   #108
Team-BHP Support

Awesome thread, Akshay and wonderfully captured! There is something about BMW threads that just capture the "joy" element perfectly.

Must confess I was not a big fan of the 3, always imagining that the 525d is perfect value for money but your review has convinced me the 325d is a fantastic option. Corporate editions be damned, I want the whole enchilada now

Nice comparo with the V6 as well. The small but significant things that Germans toss in are well captured (I loved the wiper stalk explanation). It's heartening to note that I have some of those nifty features (though at a much lower level) even in my humble Veedub.

Keep posting. i love that interior leather shade- can you post more pics of the seat please?
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 14:01   #109
BHPian

Congrats akshay,

BMW driving experience is Ulitimate nirvana. Fulllstop.

I too picked up my 320d CE in alpine White in july and after seeing your pics I regret not getting the space grey which was my second preference.

Congrats again.
Also what discount did you get on it . Beacause I gotn a big one .
manyu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 14:11   #110
BHPian

Smile re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffDaBeemer View Post
BMW is "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" period. Nothing ever compares to a beemer. As a travelling consultant I might have driven close to 50 different cars / suv / muvs. I personally owned a low miles Acura (a so called premium brand from Honda, sorry Honda owners/admirers here), after running for about an year, i saw it rattling, speakers sounding like the cheap low end after market ones with some kinda shrilling etc.

I then went to test drive an 8-yr old 2001 BMW 330i with 80k miles (over 1,30,000 km) and it was the most memorable driving moments. The engine revved as if it was just out of the factory. Nothing did feel like a BMW until then and nothing ever felt like a BMW after selling it off (yeah, I had to sell it when I relocated out of US)
I totally agree with you. Having driven a beemer for 6 years in the US, when I got a chance to buy a car in the premium range here in India, I chose to book a 3 series. A bmw is a bmw!
mrsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 21:58   #111
RGK
Senior - BHPian

320D is one of the best choice in the 30Lakh range of luxury cars. It has all the customisable ingredients in it.

Wonderful Choice Akshay. Dark colours in bigger cars give a terrific look. Happy and Safe motoring.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 22:18   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post

P.S when do we see performance upgrades from BMW!
Honestly not before 2nd quarter next year at least. I would have considered an aftermarket remap, but the engine with 185bhp has an uncrackable ecu so its needs to be sent to wherever the mapper is. No way I'm sending my ECU all the way to the U.K for a remap. So looks like BMW performance is actually going to be the best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Awesome thread, Akshay and wonderfully captured! There is something about BMW threads that just capture the "joy" element perfectly.

Must confess I was not a big fan of the 3, always imagining that the 525d is perfect value for money but your review has convinced me the 325d is a fantastic option. Corporate editions be damned, I want the whole enchilada now

Keep posting. i love that interior leather shade- can you post more pics of the seat please?
Thank you sir. Yes the 3 can be more practical than the 5 especially in terms of size. Maybe you can pick up a 3 after your Vento instead of waiting longer to buy a 5.

Some guys took interior pics at the meet today. I think you should check that thread in a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Congrats akshay,

BMW driving experience is Ulitimate nirvana. Fulllstop.

I too picked up my 320d CE in alpine White in july and after seeing your pics I regret not getting the space grey which was my second preference.

Congrats again.
Also what discount did you get on it . Beacause I gotn a big one .
I think Alpine White along with Space Grey are the best colours for the E90. It looks great in both of them. I too got a pretty good discount.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 23:55   #113
BHPian

Question re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

Akshay,

One more question for you. What accessories (car cover, mats, etc.) did the dealer give you for free? Did you get anything else other than what they gave you? Any tips/recommendations?
mrsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 10:22   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsherlock View Post
Akshay,

One more question for you. What accessories (car cover, mats, etc.) did the dealer give you for free? Did you get anything else other than what they gave you? Any tips/recommendations?
Only the packy poda mats or whatever they are called, and some car cover of decent quality. Since they are giving such big discounts I don't think they want to give any more freebies
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 01:49   #115
BHPian

Finally read it, congratulations man.
The vRS definitely cant beat this
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 10:35   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
The vRS definitely cant beat this
@akshay1234 - In some post i read that vRS and 320d are neck to neck till 100 and later vRS takes the lead.

Eager to know the results for vRS vs BMW 320d.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 11:06   #117
Senior - BHPian

What? Did someone say vRS vs the 320d? Now, that would be an interesting comparo. Akshay, could you throw some light on this?

On the running in, various people have various ideas and all of them seem right to me . At the end, when you are in the drivers seat. Nothing else comes to your mind, than to utilize all the horses to the fullest.

If your run in is done, take it on the e-way and drive down to Pune. That ways, we Pune guys could also have a dekko at the ride.

Also, is the TSi purchase final?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 12:24   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
@akshay1234 - In some post i read that vRS and 320d are neck to neck till 100 and later vRS takes the lead.

Eager to know the results for vRS vs BMW 320d.
You know I'm not really sure about that. This car has a quicker 0-100 time than the vRS. Leave the vRS aside for a moment, I thought the 320d would be much slower than the Accord above 100, but now I think its about as fast if not faster. Need to have a few more runs to decide. But the bottom line IMO I don't think the tsi will take the 320d below or above 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
What? Did someone say vRS vs the 320d? Now, that would be an interesting comparo. Akshay, could you throw some light on this?

On the running in, various people have various ideas and all of them seem right to me . At the end, when you are in the drivers seat. Nothing else comes to your mind, than to utilize all the horses to the fullest.

If your run in is done, take it on the e-way and drive down to Pune. That ways, we Pune guys could also have a dekko at the ride.

Also, is the TSi purchase final?
I can't give a definitive comparo anyway, not even between the 320d and the V6 at least for a few more weeks.

About running in well, its past 800km now so not so much left.

Expressway run is planned soon, though maybe to Lonavla not Pune.

Also the tsi, well almost finalised. Though there could be a twist for the worse in that.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 16:10   #119
BHPian

@Akshay,Flyingspur and other 3 Series Owners on this forum Looks like another RFT has given up on me

Was driving along today when the iDrive flashed the tyre pressure loss warning and the feeling was NOT AGAIN PLEASE.Went to a bunk and checked the pressure and rear left pressure was at 10 psi,had an important meeting so filled up air and initialized the TPS system.So far no problem,I just hope it's a false alarm.I have had one previous case of false alarm wherein the tyre pressure in each wheel was different but this time I most probably think it's a flat and it's had it.Oh man I just hope it is not another ten gees out of my pocket

WRT is there any way the RFT can be repaired? I mean I know a tyre with a side wall cut is dangerous but if it is just a small nail on then carcass or something,can it not be repaired at all?

PS:My car has done 8000 Kms and I have had to replace one tyre already and I am praying it does not become 2,cant help but think these tyre are not suitable for our ROADS

Last edited by Ascari : 18th October 2011 at 16:16.
Ascari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 16:15   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
@Akshay Looks like another RFT has given up on me

WRT Akshay is there any way the RFT can be repaired? I mean I know a tyre with a side wall cut is a dangerous but if it is just a nail or something can it not be repaired at all?
As far as I know, as long as you didn't run on it for too long while it was at low air, and the sidewall is not cut - You can get it repaired just the same way as a tubeless tyre and continue using it without any worries.

I think yours definitely is punctured, so just take it to a puncture repair guy and get it repaired.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 18th October 2011 at 16:16.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote