Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 18:33   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

M&M is breaking all the "norms" that we are used to in the Indian automotive arena. A smashing product, wonderfully planned transparency with regard to booking, taking the right decision on stopping booking and making sure it is well highlighted to avoid rogue dealers, giving priority to the local market...

Looking forward to the ownership review and, more importantly, the A.S.S feedback.
HappyWheels is offline  
Old 13th October 2011, 18:46   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
According to ET ( Car cos Mahindra & Mahindra, Toyota Kirloskar, Honda and others rework strategy as demand overtakes output for new launches - The Economic Times ) h
So, XUV 500 is a real challenger to Toyota Fortuner. From what I feel is that XUV 500 has caught the imagination of the people because of its aggressive looks and road presence. And I think this is where Mahindra's experiecen with Bolero, Scorpio and Xylo has helped it in maturing and reading the pulse of its target market.
Why do so many people compare the XUV500 to the Fortuner with an "either -or" mindset? Both are great vehicles (one proven, one great as per paper specs and pricing). The XUV has great specs + VFM on paper. The Fortuner has been around since 2005, and is the top selling SUV in most of the markets. Proven. But overpriced. It relies less on fancy features and more on basic reliability and performance and allround capability.

People who seldom drive outside the city or take the road less traveled, will not get a chance to appreciate the Fortuner USP. Which matters to me, and maybe not to many others. I want a vehicle that I can rely on 100% at 11 PM in a jungle track with wild elephants hovering around. I don't want any prima donna tantrums when there is a tusker ambling towards me and I need to get the hell out over rough roads (streams, stones, mud) and without molly-codling my vehicle. Or say, 100kmph on a unknown highway in the night, and suddenly a 8 inch gadda or 'citizen friendly' 6 inch bump comes up without warning. You don't have time to lower your speed as you should (many reasons - oncoming high beam, following a vehicle, thoughtfully constructed or dug obstacle/hole in a curve). With the Fortuner, I can be confident of tackling whatever I face while traveling at high speeds. I can't be that confident with other vehicles - say a Jeep (want to do 1500 km in one day?) or softroader (so where's the nearest service centre again so that can repair my alignment or axle?).

The XUV 500 has chance to shake up the SUV market and force foreign companies to offer more value for money. As an Indian, I would love that. As a Fortuner owner keeping track of potential resell value, I would continue to hope that other competitors (Renault etc.) continue to make pricing mistakes and keep my vehicle resell value high for a rainy day.

OT: a Bolero with fat wheels + rear door wheel looks sexy - much better than a new Scorpio anyday. Personal opinion, no intention of starting an argument. For that matter, the Fortuner with a wheel fixed on the rear door (instead of below the frame) would have increased its sex appeal by a few points.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th October 2011 at 18:56.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 19:31   #63
BHPian
 
Joyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I went on 10-Oct to book it with cheque, but did not get test ride, so decided to book it next day and 11-Oct got to know that from today the booking is closed.

I could have booked it if team-bhp's positive review were in place on time. Today is the last day for 72 hour deadline given by GTO ,

My brother took test drive, and it seems like the perfect SUV. My brother said he drove in bad roads as well and put it in big potholes and he was very impressed.
Pawan, The 72 hours will get over tomorrow night at 9 PM. Lets give the guys a break.
Joyb is offline  
Old 13th October 2011, 19:34   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
ELECTRIC FOLDING ORVM's
W6 - No auto/electric fold mirrors are available (only electric adjustment)
W8 - Electric folding/adjusting mirrors ( they fold when the car is locked and visa-versa)
Are you sure that W6 does not have electric folding mirrors? As per the brochure, it does have. Did you personally check this? Please advice.
nitinralli is online now  
Old 13th October 2011, 19:54   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Both are great vehicles (one proven, one great as per paper specs and pricing). The XUV has great specs + VFM on paper. The Fortuner has been around since 2005, and is the top selling SUV in most of the markets. Proven. But overpriced. It relies less on fancy features and more on basic reliability and performance and allround capability.
Couldn't agree with you more on the very apt writeup I've highlighted above.
The problem for the Indian consumer has been the complete absence of a viable alternative between the Scorpio and the Fortuner. That is true at least for me personally, as I was looking for something with good reliable diesel power plant, good ground clearance, possible third row of seating in a pinch, and at least AWD if not full-time 4WD. There was a gaping product gap in that segment. Just from a brand point of view, I don't think Toyota is in any threat at this point. I owned a Toyota and I know exactly how utterly reliable they are. But if I those attributes at ~10L less, why not. I feel that is where the original post's either-or thought is coming from, not necessarily from a 'hah, now that XUV is here, Fortuner is not needed anymore' point of view.
But again, I again, the XUV has the potential to shake the market for a long time if it shows staying power on the road. M&M can definitely 'Rise' provided they've made a reliable car. (And if they can control the quirky design tendencies and up the quality of the interior). Toyota's brand wasn't built in a day or with a single product either. It took time, and M&M can get there too, and the XUV is (hopefully) a step in the right direction.
timetraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 20:18   #66
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 866
Thanked: 239 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Why do so many people compare the XUV500 to the Fortuner with an "either -or" mindset? Both are great vehicles (one proven, one great as per paper specs and pricing). The XUV has great specs + VFM on paper. The Fortuner has been around since 2005, and is the top selling SUV in most of the markets. Proven. But overpriced. It relies less on fancy features and more on basic reliability and performance and allround capability.

People who seldom drive outside the city or take the road less traveled, will not get a chance to appreciate the Fortuner USP. Which matters to me, and maybe not to many others. I want a vehicle that I can rely on 100% at 11 PM in a jungle track with wild elephants hovering around. I don't want any prima donna tantrums when there is a tusker ambling towards me and I need to get the hell out over rough roads (streams, stones, mud) and without molly-codling my vehicle. Or say, 100kmph on a unknown highway in the night, and suddenly a 8 inch gadda or 'citizen friendly' 6 inch bump comes up without warning. You don't have time to lower your speed as you should (many reasons - oncoming high beam, following a vehicle, thoughtfully constructed or dug obstacle/hole in a curve). With the Fortuner, I can be confident of tackling whatever I face while traveling at high speeds. I can't be that confident with other vehicles - say a Jeep (want to do 1500 km in one day?) or softroader (so where's the nearest service centre again so that can repair my alignment or axle?).

The XUV 500 has chance to shake up the SUV market and force foreign companies to offer more value for money. As an Indian, I would love that. As a Fortuner owner keeping track of potential resell value, I would continue to hope that other competitors (Renault etc.) continue to make pricing mistakes and keep my vehicle resell value high for a rainy day.

OT: a Bolero with fat wheels + rear door wheel looks sexy - much better than a new Scorpio anyday. Personal opinion, no intention of starting an argument. For that matter, the Fortuner with a wheel fixed on the rear door (instead of below the frame) would have increased its sex appeal by a few points.
For your kind of usage - Anyday Fortuner is a better buy. But how many people buy Fortuner for off-roading or going inside the jungles ? I dont think more than 10%. Rest buy it as they want a butch looking SUV with decent interiors and road presence. Till now, they didnt have an option as Safari/Scorpio had horrible interiors and Yeti doesnt look "like an SUV" or has space or a SUV. For those people, XUV is a much more attractive option IMHO.
ethanhunt123 is offline  
Old 13th October 2011, 20:29   #67
BHPian
 
zteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Fortuner has been around since 2005
I thought it was launched in India in 2009. Correct me if I am wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Are you sure that W6 does not have electric folding mirrors? As per the brochure, it does have. Did you personally check this? Please advice.
W6 doesn't have electric folding mirrors. It has only electric adjustments.
W8's mirrors close when engine off and open when engine on.
zteg is offline  
Old 13th October 2011, 20:34   #68
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 595 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

as noidaboy said....lets see and judge the XUV with an open mind.

here is a photo of Suzuki XL7, the tailights resemble the XUV.

M&M has thrown a challange to the 15-20 catagory SUVs....lets see how the market shakes up!
Attached Thumbnails
XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive-suzuki-xl7-4.jpg  

Parm is offline  
Old 13th October 2011, 20:37   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
W6 doesn't have electric folding mirrors. It has only electric adjustments.
W8's mirrors close when engine off and open when engine on.
Well that's sad as they did mentioned it before. I am sure this can be added by the dealer or by local garage as this option is there in W8. Am i correct?
nitinralli is online now  
Old 13th October 2011, 20:46   #70
BHPian
 
zteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Well that's sad as they did mentioned it before. I am sure this can be added by the dealer or by local garage as this option is there in W8. Am i correct?
I guess you mistook them when they said it has electric adjustments

It can be done by a local garage. But the question is, do you actually need it or how useful is this feature? I assume most of us don't close the mirrors unless parked on a narrow road.
The moment i heard about this feature, i was praying we have an option to put this feature off. But to each, his own
zteg is offline  
Old 13th October 2011, 20:54   #71
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,703 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

The Mahindra XUV 500 is a winner from day one. 8000 bookings have been done.The product takes care of many of the Scorpio's sore points. But the plastic quality and interior trims leave a lot to be desired. I was taken aback to read about the plasticky shiny, chrome like trims inside. I had a first hand feel of these cheap shiny, chrome like plastics on the door upholstery in the Xylo's top end E8 version in 2009.
Even the Scorpio's plastics have not undergone any improvement and look cheap.Thank God, the cheap, shiny chrome has not been ever introduced in the Scorpio.
If Mahindra can own a steel company to supply cold rolled sheets to build their automobiles, why are they not able to have their own, in house plastic industry to take care of their needs? They can perhaps then manufacture, classify and grade plastics to be used from the low to high end vehicles.
Its also high time M&M makes very good and classy steel/chrome plated door levers (like most of the high end sedans) on the inside of all their high end SUV's/cars, starting with the XUV500. The dash plastic and door trims can also be upgraded to look more upmarket.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th October 2011 at 20:56.
anjan_c2007 is online now  
Old 13th October 2011, 21:32   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
I guess you mistook them when they said it has electric adjustments

It can be done by a local garage. But the question is, do you actually need it or how useful is this feature? I assume most of us don't close the mirrors unless parked on a narrow road.
The moment i heard about this feature, i was praying we have an option to put this feature off. But to each, his own
No the brochure which i have clearly states "Power foldable and adjustable mirrors". Infact i went home yesterday after reading this thread and checked again.

As for the usage, you are correct when you say "unless parked on a narrow road." Here in south delhi, parking is the major concern. And to top it all, the lanes are too tight that many times while driving Fiesta these 5 years, i had to close my side mirrors in order to let other car pass. And many times there are some dudes that wont drive in straight line and come close to your cars, thats when its needed.
nitinralli is online now  
Old 13th October 2011, 21:49   #73
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 227
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
No the brochure which i have clearly states "Power foldable and adjustable mirrors". Infact i went home yesterday after reading this thread and checked again.

As for the usage, you are correct when you say "unless parked on a narrow road." Here in south delhi, parking is the major concern. And to top it all, the lanes are too tight that many times while driving Fiesta these 5 years, i had to close my side mirrors in order to let other car pass. And many times there are some dudes that wont drive in straight line and come close to your cars, thats when its needed.
The brochure i have states 'N' for fold-able mirrors.

OT: 80% drivers in south Delhi are worthless they can't even reverse car properly or follow rules. But that's for another thread.
Mindgrinder is offline  
Old 13th October 2011, 21:49   #74
BHPian
 
manasmadaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 234
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Nope, its a limitation in Altis as well, we checked it out and as per the SA there seems to be some problem with the RTO for this as this is not allowed in all regions in India and no manufacturer wants to take any chance with the RTO guidelines which are vague to start with.
Interesting. But then, whats the use of providing DVD screens if you cant view them while the car is running. I understand, it is a hindrance for the driver but not for the co passengers. Surely noone ll want to stop a car or drive it below 20 km/hr just to view DVD (there sure are better ways )
manasmadaan is offline  
Old 13th October 2011, 22:02   #75
BHPian
 
zteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder
The brochure i have states 'N' for fold-able mirrors.

OT: 80% drivers in south Delhi are worthless they can't even reverse car properly or follow rules. But that's for another thread.
Just checked my brochure. It says 'Y' for w6 and w8. I remember the SA saying no electric foldable mirrors for w6.
zteg is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread mannubhai Long-Term Ownership Reviews 299 20th July 2015 18:48
Skoda Fabia Diesel : First impression & brief test drive speedzak Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 248 24th September 2012 09:42
i10 : First impression EDIT : Test report on Pg. 2 shobhit15 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 15th November 2007 09:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks