Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th October 2011, 11:04   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Eon: Quick First drive and impressions

Brilliant review Sid!The packaging looks neat and more importantly,it goes to say that you can get style and comfort at rock bottom prices!

It definetely is leagues ahead of the Alto.The styling is typical Hyundai at its best (or worst-opinions may differ!).I was completely blown over with the interiors.Compare it with that of an Alto or a Spark and it will seem that your sitting in a much more expensive car!!Kudos to you,Hyundai!!!

However i do not like the bulbuous headlamps and tail lamps.The car will surely be undertyred and an upgrade will be a must.Also,doesn't the top end model come with rear wash/wipe and a defogger???
Porschefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 11:05   #32
BHPian

I really wish Hyundai had also thought fit to introduce an automatic version. Having been in the market for one in the last couple of weeks, it is really sad that there is barely any choice in the entry level segments for automatics.

This car looks like a fantastic product, but as rightly pointed out by many, the key of its success (after the intial euphoria wears off) is how the service aspect is addressed. Having two hyundai cars, I find them to quite expensive to maintain.
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 11:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Changing this monopoly will be tough job in a year or two by Hyundai. It is nice package offered by Hyundai, lets see how it fare in small car market. Still it has long way to go.
Somewhat agree to this one.

The Alto/Eon customer is mostly those who are getting their first car (we can safely say they are the ones which Nano targetted and failed). For these customers, in addition to the price the most important factor is Cost of Ownership. With petrol @ 75, the next thing they look for is the cost of service/spares. For this, where do the potential customers turn to ? - their acquaintances who are/been Hyundai (Santro/i10/i20) customers.

In this aspect Hyundai still has some way to go and match Maruti.
Hyundai can expect a quick ramp up of sales, if they can convince customers that service/spares of the Eon will be pretty much similar to Alto (if not the widest network range offered by Maruti).
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 11:31   #34
BHPian

Attaboy Sid. Nice and crisp review. This car will definitely stir up things in the market. I'm sure some of those who were planning to go for a Santro or WagonR will take their chance with this fluidic beauty. Can't wait to TD it
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 11:57   #35
BHPian

Hyundia EON brochure, details etc are now available in Hyundai India website. They are comparing EON with Alto, Alto K10 and Spark. Only prices link is not loading as of now.
allwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:08   #36
BHPian

I was fortunate enought to see the car in flesh today morning, and was satisfied with the overall looks of the car. The rear-end of the car seems to be a HATE/LOVE type of option.

I could not get a look into the boot-space but this car will surely be a game changer for the small-car scenario!
rajoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Wrong! Otherwise how do you explain poor sale of Etios siblings?
We are not talking about Etios here. Let's meet after 1 year here and discuss. Nano also came even cheaper than Alto but could not able to climb. Alto has set its market. Still, I feel Hyundai Eon will not be match of Alto's FE. That is biggest driving factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Wrong again! Hyundai is already considered a premium brand in India due to high quality interiors and finish compared to Suzuki. Also, people are terribly bored of Alto so Eon will sell like hot cakes no matter which is better. Alto's monopoly is effectively over even before we know about Eon's pricing.
You may be right but in Metros and big city. For small city where volumes go for small cars, it is not true as premium versus non premium brand. How do you come to know people are terribly bored of Alto? Any Survey? Data?

Here people even not bored with Ambassador of 50 years back, how come Indians get bored of Alto? Hot Cake or Cold Cake volume will speak. IMHO it will eat Santro's number.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:31   #38
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Excellent First Drive report, Sid. Hyundai EON Website is now on. Check it out.
http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...010151236.html

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th October 2011 at 12:37.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:34   #39
BHPian

great post !.. seems like a killer who is going to sweep away the market in no time if priced properly.
Interiors are richer than most of the B+ and some C segment cars and seems to be of good quality as well. With one of the best service networks, it is truly value for money car for any one.
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Awesome

You did it again Sid!!! Great quick first drive and write up. I am sure this is going to be a game changer in the entry segment. ALTO seems to be heading for Ctrl+ALT(O)+Del
Don't be so quick to write off Alto. We can't ignore Maruti-Suzuki's expertise in counter-attacks.
Panko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

I am sure this car is going to do wonders for Hyundai. Personally, I like Eon over Alto.
rameshnanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:39   #42

Live updates from the launch available here.

Live: Hyundai Eon India launch today | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in
Sumeetstoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
We are not talking about Etios here. Let's meet after 1 year here and discuss. Nano also came even cheaper than Alto but could not able to climb. Alto has set its market. Still, I feel Hyundai Eon will not be match of Alto's FE. That is biggest driving factor.

You may be right but in Metros and big city. For small city where volumes go for small cars, it is not true as premium versus non premium brand. How do you come to know people are terribly bored of Alto? Any Survey? Data?

Here people even not bored with Ambassador of 50 years back, how come Indians get bored of Alto? Hot Cake or Cold Cake volume will speak. IMHO it will eat Santro's number.
Love for Ambassador is a different aspect, you'll not see Ambassadors clocking huge numbers. You'll always find followers but they might not be able to ensure market leadership.
There is no official Market Survey which reflects people sentiments on Alto however it is a fact that people have loved Alto for all its features be it price, brand, mileage, package but it is also reflecting from numbers of say e.g. Wagon R that people are tired of dated designs when they find better alternatives.
IMO if priced properly, delivered with less waiting period, marketed properly (which TATA's failed for Nano), ramped up service networks for higher volumes and faced with no blaring issues, it can rip off Alto if a new gen Alto is not launched sooner. They as such have legacy of superior marketing skills & customer attraction.
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:49   #44
BHPian

Thanks for the EON impressions SIDINDICA. Hope to see the Mod reports soon, which would give a real impression of the above machine.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 13:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

This will certainly put a lot of pressure on the Alto. Of course all the micro details will have to be examined but my gut feel is that having done so much correctly Hyundai ought not to make deal breaker errors on price. They may not pull of an XUV 5OO rabbit on pricing but won't do a Koleos either IMO.

Separately, I think when it comes to all the COTY awards, again my gut feel is it'll drill down to a very close fight between the Eon and the XUV 5OO. The rest will of course be generously distributed various consolation sub - prizes to keep all manufacturers smiling and obliging towards the Car Mags.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote