Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th October 2011, 10:09   #1

Default Polo 1.6- Initial Review and Palio 1.2 Comparison

Hello All,

I found the various reviews and ownership threads relating to the Polo 1.6 on TBHP very helpful in making my purchasing decision, so am putting up a small review of my own in the hope it will be helpful to others. Since the car has already been reviewed in considerable detail by rtm, Ankit and others, I will try and limit myself to points not already made by them.

Purchasing Process

My Palio 1.2 had been with me since 2003, and even though it was still running well, I felt it was time for a change. Am a big fan of european build quality- the Palio still feels solid after all these years, so Maruti, Honda etc. were automatically eliminated. I didn't particularly care for the looks of any of the cars on offer from these companies in this segment either. Friends who have owned Fords and GMs have tended to have those cars develop multiple faults within 3 or 4 years of ownership. Since I like to keep my cars for a while, that left Fiat and VW. I don't like the looks of the Punto, and thus turned my attention to VW. Once I found that the price difference between the 1.2 highline and 1.6 highline (ABS and Airbags were a must) was 40k, the choice became a bit of a no-brainer. As a car enthusiaist, the idea of owning the closest thing India has to a hot hatch at present also appealed to me.

I got a test drive of the 1.6 within an hour of requesting it from Frontier VW in Saket. While the low-end was not particularly exciting (as opposed to say the (old) Swift Vdi), there was enough grunt higher up the rev range.

There was some debate on whether to get White, Pepper Gray or Black. I ultimately settled on White which I felt was a bit of a classic colour for the Polo and would also look best if I decided on mods in the future to head down the gti road. The Pepper gray was definitely tempting as well though. I booked in White the car the next day (a Saturday) and got delivery on Thursday. Hooray for capitalism!

Thanks to Wildon I was able to ascertain that it had been manufactured in May 2011. All 1.6s currently available seem to have been made in this batch, and as the car was in satisfactory condition I took delivery, which was a painless half an hour process, with the TBHP checklist proving very helpful.

As part of an ongoing 40k offer, I opted for free insurance, reverse parking sensors, mud flaps, door sills, and seat covers. I also opted for an extended warranty for Rs. 7,199 bringing the final OTR price to Rs. 6.96 lakhs.

Car Review and Comparison

I've only covered about 200 km with the Polo so far but here are my initial thoughts-

Engine- pulls adequately from lower revs in 3rd and 4th, but the action really starts after 3k rpm. Having a hard time keeping it under 4k revs till break in. Peak power is at 5250 rpm and peak torque at 3750 rpm. I like the fact that the engine does not make itself known till you cross 3k rpm, as compared to Palio where it was always a presence in the cabin. Love the throaty muscular growl of the 1.6 at the higher rpms (as largely experienced in the test drive- don't think I was ever below 3 k then!). The Palio (70 odd bhp) definitely lacks comparable punch in 3rd gear, though there really isn't much difference at lower rpms. The Polo also builds up speed effortlessly, with less drama.

Handling and suspension- have not really pushed the Polo yet, but it hugged the line well in the couple of turns I have taken at speed. With upsized tyres and Michelin XM1 rubber, the Palio takes turns at 100 kph without any tyre squeal and hopefully the Polo will be able to do the same on its Apollo tyres. I will definitely switch to Michelins after these are worn out though. The suspension irons out bumps far better than the Palio's, though this might have something to with the latter's age as well.

Build quality- superb and well finished. No complaints whatsoever.

Gearshift and pedal placement- fantastic gear shift. Clutch has a bit too much travel, and I'm still making the transition from the Palio. I like to rev match my downshifts by heel and toeing, something which is easy to do in the Palio, but which I'm having trouble with in the Polo. Perhaps it is just a matter of getting used to it, but there is a large level difference b/w the brake and the accelerator (brake rather high and accelerator lower) which makes this difficult. Whether due to flywheel weight or ECU programming, the accelerator also does not respond to inputs in the first cm or so of travel, requiring a firm push to get the revs to rise. Hopefully will get around this as I spend more time with the Polo.

Car Audio- I'm not much of an audiophile, and find the stock speakers adequate. The HU on the other hand is unpardonable for its omission of an AUX/USB input and bluetooth. I have remedied this by ordering the Witson (thanks to Ankit's research!) which should be in place by next week. I tend to take a lot of calls while driving, and bluetooth was a must have.

I'm looking forward to spending many happy years with the Polo 1.6 and hope VW service stands behinds what feels like a solid product to make long term ownership an enjoyable prospect.

While I may have switched teams from Italy to Germany, the Italians are still represented in the stable, as you will see from the photos!

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6- Initial Review and Palio 1.2 Comparison-up1.jpg  

Polo 1.6- Initial Review and Palio 1.2 Comparison-up2.jpg  

porsche911 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 10:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Polo 1.6- Initial Review and Palio 1.2 Comparison

Congrats on the purchase of the true 'premium hot hatch' .

Drive safe and wishing you the best!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 12:26   #3
BHPian

Congrats Porsche911!! Hope u enjoy years of hassle free ownership.
I have the very same complaints about the pedal positioning. Clutch travel too long and the level difference between the brake and gas pedals are too much making heel an toe'ing difficult. What makes it worse is like u said the throttle does not respond unless u give it a firm push and then the revs suddenly jump up . All i can say is that it takes time getting used to. Anyways enjoy dude!
Frankazoid!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 17:00   #4

Volkman- thanks for your good wishes!

Frankazoid- Some comfort in knowing I'm not alone as regards heel and toe. I wonder if the accelerator is programmed to have a 'dead zone' for the first cm or so of travel, and if it is possible to reprogram this. I know in some cars, the pedal hinges are adjustable, and I'll ask the workshop about this as well when it goes in for its first service. Is your Polo pepper grey?

I'd forgotten to mention that the Palio has vastly better steering feel and road feedback through the wheel, but this has been covered by others. The quick electronic steering of the Polo is a boon in parking lots, but I'm yet to see how it fares in high speed driving.
porsche911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 17:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche911 View Post

I don't like the looks of the Punto!

Sorry but am gonna have to kill you for that !!

Awesome bike you got there.And cool headgear too
revintup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 17:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Sorry but am gonna have to kill you for that !!

Awesome bike you got there.And cool headgear too
Hehe-looks are completely subjective. I just feel the Palio is way better styled, and still looks sharp after all these years. In mitigation, I like the front of the Punto, but not the rear. Feel the same way about the Polo actually. One reason pepper gray and black look good on it is that they 'absorb' the awkward rear lights.

I think I love my bike as much, or more than the Polo. It's a Bianchi Infinito carbon fiber frame and an absolute blast to ride. It's average speed is also pretty close to the Polo thanks to Delhi traffic. I doubt I'll ever own a carbon fiber monocoque car, but I can see why it is the material of choice for high performance cars. Sorry for going OT!
Old 17th October 2011, 23:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your HOT hatch ! Am sure you are one amongst the owners of a rare breed ! We need more pics please ! And we are sure to have some good time reading a comparo between two awesome driver machines - so looking forward to it.

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 12:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Congrats on your HOT hatch ! Am sure you are one amongst the owners of a rare breed ! We need more pics please ! And we are sure to have some good time reading a comparo between two awesome driver machines - so looking forward to it.

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring.
Thanks switnfurious! Will try and upload some more pics over the weekend, particularly of the lit up interior. Drove the Palio yesterday, and I will definitely be sad to see it go. It may not always have provided hassle free ownership, but there is a definite connection with the car, and after more than 8 years of ownership I know all her moods.
Old 27th October 2011, 00:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche911

Thanks switnfurious! Will try and upload some more pics over the weekend, particularly of the lit up interior. Drove the Palio yesterday, and I will definitely be sad to see it go. It may not always have provided hassle free ownership, but there is a definite connection with the car, and after more than 8 years of ownership I know all her moods.
Hey Porsche, did you get your Witson installed yet? Please dont forget to update this thread with more pictures after the installation!
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 09:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Hey Porsche, did you get your Witson installed yet? Please dont forget to update this thread with more pictures after the installation!
Nope-the Witson is not yet installed. Am waiting for someone from the dealership to do it. He had promised to do a clean install (post the Diwali rush) since it is apparently pretty similar to the Vento system. Will be sure to upload pics once it is fitted.

Stretched the Polo's legs for the first time on a drive to Murthal this Sunday, and it really impressed. You never need to leave 5th gear once on the highway and there is enough torque to overtake easily even in 5th. The car feels superbly planted in high speed turns and lane changes. Average fuel consumption over 150 km was 16.3 kmpl!

Have also got a little more accustomed to the pedal position and heel and toeing is easier once you learn to give the accelerator a hefty push in between changes. There is some sort of rev limiter which doesn't allow the rev to rise by more than 600-800 rpm even when you do this so there is no risk of over-revving (or exceeding 4k rpm during run in).