Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd November 2011, 14:02   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Initial experience with my diesel Toyota Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
I think the judder when the car hits a bump seems similar to what I am observing. I am not sure about the shriek noise that you have mentioned. The only sound I could remember at that time was the 'thud' or 'thuk' sound which could be the front springs or suspension part getting fully compressed or decompressed when hitting something quickly. Other than the noise the noticeable fact is the impact force felt to the driver holding the steering wheel. This was felt at even low speeds of 25+ kmph when going over certain type of rough, bumpy road.
It's less of a thud (low-frequency sound) and more of a shrill resonating high-frequency thunk - only from front suspensions. Hence I called it shriek. Maybe we are using different terms for similar phenomenon. I'm not sure about the impact on steering wheel though. Nowadays, my adapted driving style means I get hardly exposed to the sound/judder as I've mentioned.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 00:12   #47
BHPian

It has been a while since I posted an update. Actually I wanted to have the second FE results. I have crossed 3200 kms so far on my Etios VD and the last FE noted just today with tank full method was 20.48 kmpl(incredible! isnt it ?). This is calculated for 621 km with 30.32 litres of fuel and the drive was a mix of highway (40%) and city (60%). This is quite some improvement of the last noted FE of around 17.11. This time I tried to drive sedately, avoided sudden starts/stops and kept the car below 120 kmph on highways. Overall I would say the car really handles well with the steering, brakes and city handling being excellent. I have been posting the negatives which are more of a concerns but nothing that would put me off from driving the car. Speaking of past experiences, I think I got the seating position right and that helped me get used to the clutch and gears better. I drove it on some hilly terrain and the sharp steering helps in corners and just keeping the car in right gears gets enough power to climb well. Not even a single niggling issue so far. I have changed the bulbs from the OEM ones to 130/90 without cutout. Also got 3M Sunfilm CS35 done. Planning on getting some better material for external sound damping like noisekill or dynamat especially for the firewall and the wheel arcs. Any guess if this would be help lower the engine/road noise inside the cabin?

Last edited by automachine : 8th December 2011 at 00:24.
automachine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 00:40   #48
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Etios is one of the most practical Diesel Entry C segment cars in the market.

Mileage of 20 kmpl + for a Diesel is great. Try and upgrade to Michelin tyres from the OE ones. These being softer will soak up a lot of noise and give you a better drive.

Drive Safe...
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 09:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Initial experience with my diesel Toyota Etios

Quote:
It has been a while since I posted an update. Actually I wanted to have the second FE results. I have crossed 3200 kms so far on my Etios VD and the last FE noted just today with tank full method was 20.48 kmpl(incredible! isnt it ?). This is calculated for 621 km with 30.32 litres of fuel and the drive was a mix of highway (40%) and city (60%). This is quite some improvement of the last noted FE of around 17.11. This time I tried to drive sedately, avoided sudden starts/stops and kept the car below 120 kmph on highways.
That's great. The maximum "average mileage" I got for a full tank to full tank fill is 18 kmpl with aggressive driving style. My odo reading is now 4600 kms. I need to try it out on sedate driving style now.

Quote:
Overall I would say the car really handles well with the steering, brakes and city handling being excellent. I have been posting the negatives which are more of a concerns but nothing that would put me off from driving the car. Speaking of past experiences, I think I got the seating position right and that helped me get used to the clutch and gears better. I drove it on some hilly terrain and the sharp steering helps in corners and just keeping the car in right gears gets enough power to climb well. Not even a single niggling issue so far.
+1. Same for me as well. Extremely happy with the buying decision.
Did you feel the engine noise coming down? I felt it when I drove my mother's new Liva Diesel. The engine on my Etios Diesel feels much more refined than the engine of a brand new Etios/Liva Diesel.

Quote:
I have changed the bulbs from the OEM ones to 130/90 without cutout.
I too changed my bulbs, but my choice was Philips Xtreme Vision since, I didn't want to add any additional relay.

Quote:
Also got 3M Sunfilm CS35 done.
How's it ? I got V-Kool 70 as sun film. It makes a lot of difference since, Etios has got a lot of glass area.

Quote:
Planning on getting some better material for external sound damping like noisekill or dynamat especially for the firewall and the wheel arcs. Any guess if this would be help lower the engine/road noise inside the cabin?
I'm also interested in this mod. Please post any new info that you get on it. I'll also be doing the research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Try and upgrade to Michelin tyres from the OE ones. These being softer will soak up a lot of noise and give you a better drive.

Drive Safe...
True. I'll wait for the new tyres to wear out first. The first replacement will surely be the Michelins.

Last edited by amalji : 8th December 2011 at 09:38.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 15:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Did you feel the engine noise coming down?
Well I have not observed the engine noise coming down so far. Maybe it would after some more kilometer running on the ODO.

Quote:
I too changed my bulbs, but my choice was Philips Xtreme Vision since, I didn't want to add any additional relay.
I too have not added any relay so far. The mechanic who did it was a known person and he assured me that it would not be needed.

Quote:
How's it ? I got V-Kool 70 as sun film. It makes a lot of difference since, Etios has got a lot of glass area.
Well I am happy with 3M CS35. It goes well with my bluish silver color and it isn't too dark for night driving. The accessory shop also had v-kool but i somehow felt the 3M CS series specs were good enough.

Quote:
I'm also interested in this mod. Please post any new info that you get on it. I'll also be doing the research.
I do have definite plans to do the noise and vibration insulation. However I am gathering the right information on the effort and budget to spend as there are plenty of options. I think the 3M underbody coating did reduce the road noise to some extent. Still the NVH needs to be controlled for getting a better ride. After reading many reviews on Etios D it is clear that this car needs something for better NVH inside cabin. I am considering few options like Noxudol (Automotive Sound Damping Products by Noxudol) or the bitumen adhesive sheets like noisekill, dynamat or wuerth.

Does anyone know where I can get those in Ahmedabad?

Also Amalji, do you have any plans for adding a rubber weatherstrip on the doors to prevent the dust from settling on the door sides ?
Old 11th December 2011, 17:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine
I too have not added any relay so far. The mechanic who did it was a known person and he assured me that it would not be needed.
wow, that is news for me. Many accessories shops seems to be giving wrong information here.

Quote:
I do have definite plans to do the noise and vibration insulation. However I am gathering the right information on the effort and budget to spend as there are plenty of options. I think the 3M underbody coating did reduce the road noise to some extent. Still the NVH needs to be controlled for getting a better ride. After reading many reviews on Etios D it is clear that this car needs something for better NVH inside cabin. I am considering few options like Noxudol (Automotive Sound Damping Products by Noxudol) or the bitumen adhesive sheets like noisekill, dynamat or wuerth.

Does anyone know where I can get those in Ahmedabad?
For me, the noise seems to have definitely come down. But it's no where close to corolla diesel. So, I'm interested in 2 things.

1. What is the root cause of higher noise inside cabin. Is it poor damping on firewall, or is it due to any other location?

2. Which is the best possible damping compound to be used?

I'm doing my research on it. In the meantime, if you get any conclusive answer on the above questions, please post the information.

Quote:
Also Amalji, do you have any plans for adding a rubber weatherstrip on the doors to prevent the dust from settling on the door sides ?
I'm not too concerned about it. Hence I do not want to tamper with the original design unless it cause any serious issues for me. If toyota comes up with some gasket, I might go for it. But otherwise, it's not at all an issue for me.
Old 18th December 2011, 16:43   #52
BHPian

I just got rear speakers installed. Got JBL CS-X696 ovals (specs are as 280W peak power and 70W rms) and they sound pretty good with stock head unit and front speakers. The toyota provided HU pumps out only 40W as per the manual so I think the maybe due to that the sound output is not shattering. But the JBL speakers performs well even at high volume. I am planning to go for a good HU upgrade later.

Last edited by automachine : 18th December 2011 at 16:45.
automachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 18:11   #53
BHPian

I am nearing 5000 kms on my ODO and here are the updates so far. FE has improved a lot. The statistics are:
• 17 kmpl at 1K+ on ODO just inbetween delivery and first service.
• 20.48 kmpl at around 3K on ODO with 60% Highway and 40% City and AC ON 50% of time
• 21.4 kmpl at around 4K on ODO with 100% city driving with AC OFF
• 21.67 kmpl at around 4.5K on ODO with 100% city driving with AC OFF

The driving style has been normal to aggressive in most cases except in the third reading above.

1. Car rides well with even 4 adults.
2. Noise at above 2k rpm gets a bit irritating as audio really needs to be loud to drown the noise. This is the engine noise while on road with gravels, the road noise creates the same issue.
3. Sometimes very low rattle like sound emanating from dash area near the speedo. This is usually at low rpm when there is some vibration from the engine felt in compartment.
4. Dust getting accumulated on the sides of the door. This happens in SX4 and other cars too but I think it is observed more in Etios.
5. Sun Film has some fine grain like bubbles though not visible from distance. This is due to the accessory shop carelessness (Karnavati car accessories at Bodakdev, Ahmedabad). I regret going there as I went for a bit expensive 3M CS35 film and nothing can be done now.
6. Leather steering cover again fitted at the same accessory shop had to be removed as it could not fit well as they later claimed it was due to the Etios steering wheel design. I heard even Toyota dealership is no longer offering it due to same reason. Again need to double check.

For the issue of NVH, I am planning to go for sound deadening. I have got quote from local Wuerth dealer and would shortly plan this activity. Also looking at getting some compatible weatherstripping for doors to reduce the dust accumulation.

Last edited by automachine : 10th January 2012 at 18:16.
automachine is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 18:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for updating the thread Automachine. So the car is behaving perfectly well overall, with the FE being quite remarkable. The other issues you mentioned like NVH, dust accumulation etc are as expected. Hopefully the sound deadening & weatherstripping for doors should help you address these issues. Looking forward to hear from you. Have you done a highway trip with the car fully loaded, 4-5 adults, with bootfull of luggage & AC ON? Does the engine feel stretched or does it pull effortlessly?
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 20:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Initial experience with my diesel Toyota Etios

Quote:
6. Leather steering cover again fitted at the same accessory shop had to be removed as it could not fit well as they later claimed it was due to the Etios steering wheel design. I heard even Toyota dealership is no longer offering it due to same reason. Again need to double check.
Check the steering cover, I have mentioned on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2640496

It's perfect fit for the ergonomic Etios steering. If you are in Bangalore or Mumbai, you can get this done from Karlsson

With regards to the genuine accessory, what you've heard is true. Toyota found out a design issue on the steering cover and have stopped selling it temporarily. They will bring it back to the showroom, once they correct the design.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Have you done a highway trip with the car fully loaded, 4-5 adults, with bootfull of luggage & AC ON? Does the engine feel stretched or does it pull effortlessly?
Yes I did couple of highway trip with full load and 4 adults seated. The car pulls effortlessly and overtaking is not an issue though you do need to give enough time and cannot expect sudden power when needed. I think once you recognize that the engine is tuned more towards efficiency and driveability then you expect it less to do quick dash at overtaking. So overall its a good highway cruiser if you keep within speed limits 80-110 km/hr.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:06   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Check the steering cover, I have mentioned on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2640496

It's perfect fit for the ergonomic Etios steering. If you are in Bangalore or Mumbai, you can get this done from Karlsson
Quite neat job. I like karlsson from what I have seen in these pics as well as another t-bhpian's Manza. Definitely worth spending money. I do not think they are yet available in Ahmedabad or any place in Gujarat. So going to Mumbai for it could be the next option for me. By the way I have been following your review too. keep the good work going.
automachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:30   #58
BHPian

So here comes the 10k + km update. The 2nd service at 10k km was done at Infinium Toyota, Ahmedabad. In addition to the regular service, the reported problems were:
1) loud thud noise when going over bumps a little to fast. This was due to the shocks/springs getting fully expanded after going over the bump.
2) Vibration felt at steering and driver seats when going over loose gravel or rough roads giving a harsh ride.
3) Minor dent and scratch on rear near the fuel lid and door caused due to two ladies not able to control their kinectic honda and falling sideways just when I was overtaking them.
4) Minor noise near the passenger airbags (this was fixed)

For first two issues a service engineer accompanied me for a test ride. He mentioned that the shocks big sound due to expansion is normal and would not cause any damage even though it felt as if something was hit hard. For the vibration, he did not find anything abnormal and asked me to check out again. Though after 10K kms of driving I am sure this is a design issue where the Etios suspension is stiffer with harsh ride over slightly rough roads. Over a smooth surface road this issue is non existent. So what could be the issue here: Springs, shock absorbers, Strut braces? I am not well versed with technical aspect of the car so may not be able to articulate.
The service bill came to around INR 1616 which I think is decent as only oil and oil filter was charged. The SA did not think a wheel alignment or balancing was needed so that was not done at the dealer. However I did get it done outside at my regular tyre shop. I asked the opinion of the guy there and he mentioned that the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 are good tires with asymmetrical pattern and there was only a minor alignment corrected.
Max speed I managed to check on expressway was around 150 kmph for just few seconds. The car was absolutely stable at this speed so this definitely is a plus point. I have been getting FE of around 18-19 kmpl with 100% AC use.
Also replaced horns with Hella black trumpet and the cost was INR 1250 (I already had a relay for the horn installed earlier). The Osram 130/100 bulbs installed currently are good but the low beam is too short even at highest level of headlight lever. I have a separate relay for the headlight. I am thinking of going for Phillips Essential power bulbs to see if those improve the low beam light throw. Also read some stuff on high wattage bulbs replacement that a ceramic holder is needed so need to get those as well.
That is all for now till next update.

Last edited by automachine : 2nd April 2012 at 15:33.
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that update Automachine. Can you please give the break-up of the Rs 1616 charged (oil & filter charges). I think labour would have been free, correct me if I am wrong.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 14:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Can you please give the break-up of the Rs 1616 charged (oil & filter charges). I think labour would have been free, correct me if I am wrong.
Here is the breakup of the cost (with tax):
Oil filter: 406 + 60.90 = 466.90
Fluid windscreen washer: 72 + 10.80 = 82.80
GSKT, oil pan drain: 28 + 4.20 = 32.20
TGMO oil (total 3900 ml costing INR 22.56 per 100ml): 879.84 + 153.98 = 1033.82

Labour charges were free under the 2nd service warranty.