Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th October 2011, 11:57   #1
Default Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova

Dear All

First of all, I would like to thank the team bhp for adding me as a member. Though it was around 6 months back but i was waiting for something special to post my first thread.
And here it is, added another toyota to our family; first one being the rockstar, the powerhouse, the pride, the "fortuner". And it was the fortuner which has lead us buying "innova"- not a powerhouse though a pretty neat vehicle to ride around in city traffic.

It all started back in Dec'10 when we got the then(maybe today aswell) the most sought after SUV around with a waiting period of 6 months- the fortuner. Dad used some sources here & there and were able to get the delivery in 25 days. Thus,came the time to say TATA to my all time fav- the Safari. Though I was never in favor of letting it go but parking the 2 beasts was a big challenge. Moreover, had done 95,000 kms & was being offered a fairly good resale price. So bye bye TATA & hello TOYOTA.

Now, 2 of the 3 proud possessions were left the second one being the i20 era being used by my younger sister for daily ride to her clinic, fortuner was available for dad whose daily commuting would be around 100 kms. In a span of 10 months, it has clocked 17,000 kms.
Went well till last month when both myself & family realised that there was too much dependence on fortuner even for nearby rides to market, friend/relative visits. Thus, begun the hunt for the safari replacement.

The first thing that came to mind was the new swift. Everybody liked it so went for test drive & all with parents; zeroed in on the Vdi. Would have costed around 6L. All set but the waiting period was told to be around 3-4 months under all circumstances.(Being from automotive industry, tried with a couple of key ppl in MSIL but was in vain as there was almost nil productions in the Manesar plant).

Now, what could have been the other options? Beat D was too small; didn't have faith in the VW/polo's after sale service(Scarce Network another concern point).

Had some detailed discussions with family & decided to go for a second hand innova. Toyota's after sale service had already impressed me so without a second thought went to a couple of used car dealers & checked out a few innovas. Found a silver G4 2008, 42,000Kms was the odo reading- quoted by dealer 8.5 L. Car was scratchless but the tyres were 2010 edition hence got suspicious about the actual running of the car. Checked a few others but was unable to get confidence in any.
Moreover, there are hardly any innovas available in the second hand market. Out of 10 odd dealers, only 2 had innovas available with them.
Again, a detailed discussion with parents to stretch the budget a bit & go for a new one. Visited Thirty Six Toyota in Faridabad(~2 kms from my place). Checked out the VX version available for test ride; went through the catalogue and decided to go for silver 2.5G 7 Seater. Booked the vehicle on same day i.e 5th Oct with a sum of 50,000. Delivery period as suggested by the dealer was anything between 30- 45days.

Fortunately, dad knew the owner & pushed for a pre diwali delivery.
Got a call from the sales rep on 12th Oct that the vehicle was loaded & despatched & hence requested for the balance amount. Made the payment on the same day. Was asked to check on 17th for load arrival.

Called up on 17th- truck arrived but without silver 2.5G. 18th - was surprised to hear that silver 2.5G was not loaded on 12th as was communicated but on 17th. I was still not sure & hence went & checked the load receiving info being shared by TKM with dealer. The booking details were there & the load was supposed to reach the dealership on 25th October- the auspicious day of chhoti diwali.

25th October;

Got up at 6.00 in the morning & reached the showroom to check if the load had arrived. Confirmed with Guard if any new cars had arrived last night. The reply was affirmative. Requested him to let me have view to check if mine was there. He agreed.

Around 40 cars had arrived that night:
2 Fortuners
3 Innovas including one Crystal edition
& maining all were Etios/Liva.

Was happy to find mine in the lot. Clicked a few pics there itself:

Received a call from the sales rep at 9.30 that the car was here & if I wanted to go for any accessories. Confirmed Muffler Cutter, Fabric Mats & 3D Mud Flaps.

As for the music system, took out the fortuner HU & got it fitted in the innova with 4 infinity series 6 components. Got the Pioneer 4390DVD for fortuner. Also added the Blaupaunkt film in the innova's accessory list. Attaching a few pictures of the same. As for the riding quality innova, I found it underpowered, getting in & out is the best part, immaculate plastic finish & quality, feels bumby when riding alone as is the case with fortuner.

On Road Price:
Ex- Showroom- 9,75,955
Insurance(TATA AIG)- 23,900
Logistics- 3500
Registration- 44,000
Temp. No.- 1500
On Road- 10,48,855

The silver color gives a gracious look the vehicle. Since, the G variant comes without any chrome panels, I am planning to get the front grill & the handles chrome plated.

The interiors are plain as far as G variant is concerned. I know a guy in delhi who does cubic printing & chrome plating. Will get the panels wooden finished from him.
The trims feel well built with top quality plastic granules used.

1. Space, Space & some more space
2. Getting in & out is the best part; it takes less then a moment to be in & out of the car
3. Plastic feels good; even better then that of fortuner as far as dashboard is considered
4. Linear power delivery, good clutch & transmission combination
5. Shortest of the shortest turning radius
6. AC is supercool

1. Pale Steering Wheel
2. Underpowered but good enough to let you overtake with 5 passengers on board
3. Yet to find more as the car has only done 125 km in last 1 week
Attached Thumbnails
Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-251020111059.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-251020111060.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-251020111061.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-261020111065.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-261020111067.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-251020111062.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-251020111063.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-261020111070.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-261020111071.jpg  

Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova-261020111084.jpg  

Last edited by vishal rathee : 2nd November 2011 at 11:32.
vishal rathee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 01:26   #2
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Welcoming the second toyota to the family- Innova

Bloody late in replying to an year old thread i know ,but again congrats on the Innova.
?Me too second with you on the steering thing, hate the skinny 3 spoke steering wheel, but love the 4 spoke that comes on the 'V' version.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote