Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 12:31   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 2,988
Thanked: 3,610 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Right in the middle of the BWSL (on a Sunday) - a cop signalled me to pull over (a few other cars as well)
and he shows me on his speed gun - that I was doing 80 kmph and the Speed Limit is 50 kmph !!!!

I tried explaining to him - that my car is brand new - I anyways cannot 'speed' and did not mean to speed either.
But to no avail.
Not only was I fined 200 Rs.
After paying - the Cop conveniently said - that they are out of receipts in their receipt book - when I insisted on a receipt - he said he will personally deliver it to me later in the week.
(Obviously never happened).
This is quite wierd, never thought Mumbai Traffic police would stoop to such a low level. They are supposed to be the best of the lot. While I was staying in Mumbai couple of years back I was fined twice (for lane cutting), first near Mahim causeway & then at Haji Ali crossroads, but each time I got away with a Rs 100/- fine with proper receipt.

Nevertheless don't let this small incident mar the joy of owning & driving a new car. Coincidentally I cut my first challan in Mumbai (Mahim causeway) on the very day that I brought my car in Mumbai, with the new car garlands still on.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 13:37   #62
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 408
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Hi Suraj,

Firstly I must say that your ownership report is really very informative and very good pictures as well. I too have the same version, the Elan but not the celebration edition. Looks like you have illuminated steering controls whereas mine doesn't have the illumination. A very thoughtful and useful feature.

I think Tata should have stuck with the Purple interior scheme for the celebration edition as well, but they tried to do something different. Not that this looks bad, but IMO the purple scheme looks better. Have you seen the purple interiors in person? What are your views on this?

Another thing which seems to be a problem in all manzas, is the plastic Lid which covers the screws near the door handle tends to fall of easily. Both the lids of the rear doors have fallen off from my car. 'Classic Tata'. :P
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 23:20   #63
BHPian
 
vrvarier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ALP->Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Hi Doc,

Congratulations, and Welcome to the manza club ! I took delivery of my Manza Aura ABS on 3rd october. Great report. This is a guide to anyone planning to buy a manza.

My report:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html (My New Tata Manza comes home !)

BTW, good of you to post the pic of DC-AC converter. I was looking to buy one.

Thanks,
Venu.
vrvarier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 23:25   #64
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 524
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
This is quite wierd, never thought Mumbai Traffic police would stoop to such a low level. They are supposed to be the best of the lot. While I was staying in Mumbai couple of years back I was fined twice (for lane cutting), first near Mahim causeway & then at Haji Ali crossroads, but each time I got away with a Rs 100/- fine with proper receipt.

Nevertheless don't let this small incident mar the joy of owning & driving a new car. Coincidentally I cut my first challan in Mumbai (Mahim causeway) on the very day that I brought my car in Mumbai, with the new car garlands still on.
Woah !!

Once bitten twice shy - but you were bitten twice!

Unfortunate I must say.

My sympathies with you - or should I say empathies !?

I guess they are experts on how to spot new cars & thus - fresh 'bakras;.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Hi Suraj,

Firstly I must say that your ownership report is really very informative and very good pictures as well. I too have the same version, the Elan but not the celebration edition. Looks like you have illuminated steering controls whereas mine doesn't have the illumination. A very thoughtful and useful feature.

I think Tata should have stuck with the Purple interior scheme for the celebration edition as well, but they tried to do something different. Not that this looks bad, but IMO the purple scheme looks better. Have you seen the purple interiors in person? What are your views on this?

Another thing which seems to be a problem in all manzas, is the plastic Lid which covers the screws near the door handle tends to fall of easily. Both the lids of the rear doors have fallen off from my car. 'Classic Tata'. :P
Hello Mr. DeKay.

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Congratulations on the Elan.
I am genuinely disheartened to know that your steering controls are not illuminated. I fail to understand why.
How old is your car? I suggest you do take it up with the company once.

Sir, in case you haven't read my earlier posts - it all started when me & my family DID NOT like the burgundy / purple interiors present in Elan - but preferred the black & beige in the Aura ABS - so I wrote to the company - if they could make an Elan from an Aura ABS - their reply was that they were about to launch the Celebration Edition and thus I waited for it and got it.

They did say - that this purple beige combination was quite popular - & now I understand why.
There are quite a few who share your fondness for that combination, while there are also some that did not like it.

I guess that's individuality - but it's worth noting - that Tata was able to please and satisfy BOTH if not All.
Right?

I guess thats precisely why all Mercedes Benz cars are not Black & they DO offer so many colours too.



& yes - 3rd day and my Manza's plastic caps were off too.

I have also put a pic of it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2562748 (Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !)

Yes, typically Tata - fit & finish lagging.

But still overall a REALLY nice car. Comfort & Engine is totally unlike other Tatas.
So - I guess you never get 100% - but this car comes close, right?

Congrats once again.
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 23:45   #65
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 524
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Dr. Could you post pics of these please?
Specially for you ...

and for others too !


The CapDase Mobile holder - ANY cellphone.

Extendable arms. Moving base. Lock in position. Well padded & cushioned. Good vaccum. Flexible arm. Rock Solid. 795/- Rs.

Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !-cimg0001.jpg

Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !-cimg0003.jpg

Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !-cimg0005.jpg

Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !-cimg0006.jpg

Name:  IMG20111105WA0002.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0010.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0012.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0014.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  37.4 KB



The Belkin AC / DC converter - 1295/-. Replacable Fuse. Surge protect. Low battery light. USB port +3 pin socket


Name:  IMG20111105WA0004.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0005.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  40.1 KB


The CaseLogic seat belt cover - 395/-. Bought 3 years ago. Used in my Indica as well. Never washed. Basically - absorbs the sweat and does not leave marks on the shirt because of the tight seat belt over long drives.
Also - it can hold things - I used to keep my bluetooth handsfree in that pouch or hang in the loops - always used to keep 1 in the car - but now - the CAR itself has bluetooth

Name:  IMG20111105WA0006.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0008.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0009.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0015.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0016.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0017.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  53.9 KB
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 23:51   #66
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 524
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Hi Doc,

Congratulations, and Welcome to the manza club ! I took delivery of my Manza Aura ABS on 3rd october. Great report. This is a guide to anyone planning to buy a manza.

My report:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html (My New Tata Manza comes home !)

BTW, good of you to post the pic of DC-AC converter. I was looking to buy one.

Thanks,
Venu.
Thanks a lot Mr. Venu.

Extremely glad to be part of the club!
Thank you very much for the compliments.

I read your review as well. I have posted my comments there.

Thank you once again!

Happy Driving. Do keep in touch over the Manza.

P.S. Some more pics of the Belkin here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2568831 (Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !)
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 00:25   #67
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 524
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Some more pics - Randomly clicked today - just because suddenly my car was looking so beautiful & stunning

It happens to everyone, right ?
We all tend to love our cars waaay too much. Thats why we are all posting here, right?

Note how the colour keeps changing !

(Sorry for the low-res pics. Clicked impromptu with my cell phone)


Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !-imag0378-copy.jpg

Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !-imag0381-copy.jpg

Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !-imag0380.jpg

Name:  IMG20111105WA0019  Copy.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0021  Copy.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0022  Copy.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0023  Copy.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0024  Copy.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  IMG20111105WA0025  Copy.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  71.9 KB

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 6th November 2011 at 00:42.
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 00:40   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,208
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Dr.Suraj, Congratulations on the car. This has to be one of the best ownership threads I have seen on TBHP.

Thankfully the issues observed are not major ones, just minor niggles that can be resolved quickly. BTW, what are the little round things photographed in the first photo of the problems? Couldn't figure it out

I think the front and rear glasses are bonded to the body in all cars these days. I remember reading that the Santro (when launched) was the first car with a bonded rear glass. Previously they used to be held in place by the rubber beading. The side plastic falling off is a problem, but IMHO the windshield bonding is okay.

Thanks for the loads of pics. The car really looks gorgeous from all angles, and the interiors look extremely well put together, and luxurious. The only persistent fit issue I could observe is the typically large gap between the horn pad and the steering wheel, more on the left than the right. Looks to be like this in all Manzas.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I would suggest wider 195 section tyres, mainly because they are better looking (more proportionate?). Can't be sure of any performance gains, but milage might be affected.

Good stuff. Keep it coming!
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 00:50   #69
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 524
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Dr.Suraj, Congratulations on the car. This has to be one of the best ownership threads I have seen on TBHP.

Thankfully the issues observed are not major ones, just minor niggles that can be resolved quickly. BTW, what are the little round things photographed in the first photo of the problems? Couldn't figure it out

I think the front and rear glasses are bonded to the body in all cars these days. I remember reading that the Santro (when launched) was the first car with a bonded rear glass. Previously they used to be held in place by the rubber beading. The side plastic falling off is a problem, but IMHO the windshield bonding is okay.

Thanks for the loads of pics. The car really looks gorgeous from all angles, and the interiors look extremely well put together, and luxurious. The only persistent fit issue I could observe is the typically large gap between the horn pad and the steering wheel, more on the left than the right. Looks to be like this in all Manzas.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I would suggest wider 195 section tyres, mainly because they are better looking (more proportionate?). Can't be sure of any performance gains, but milage might be affected.

Good stuff. Keep it coming!

Thank you very much Mr. VeluM - was looking forward to your comments.

Thank you for the compliments as well.

Sorry - I did not mention there itself - but mentioned later - those round things are the plastic caps - that fell off from the 3rd day.
They were placed to cover screws and not expose dirty screw heads to naked eyesight - 'inside' the front door handle panels.

I have read across the board - that this is a common issue.

Yes - all issues are very minor. Seriously nothing major. Thank God.
& really I am okay with such minor niggles - ONLY - when compared to what all I have got on the other hand.
(coz otherwise I am quite a fastidious person & love the Germans for their quality).

Most of the issues are already resolved.

Some I have read are just a matter of 'tightening' a few screws to stop the rattles.

Rest shall be addressed on the 1st service on Monday.

Yes, the Windshield problem is solved as of now.

Yes, - the interiors do look quite well - if I may dare say - slightly improved than the earlier Manza's too.

Thank you - indeed car looks really nice from all angles. Falling in love everyday! Drive is good too. Day or Night.

I have been advised tyre & alloy upgrades.

I am seriously considering it - lets see how Vitamin M allows.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 13:30   #70
BHPian
 
Y@SH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 373
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

COngratulations on the Manza. The best car in the segment. I love the interior design, space, engine and the alloys! Dont change the alloys, they are the best OEM alloys ive come across.
Also have you noticed that when you revv the car i think above 6 or 7k the needle turns red?? Post a pic of that too.

Wish you many more miles and drive Safe

Last edited by Y@SH : 6th November 2011 at 13:32.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 14:08   #71
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 408
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
COngratulations on the Manza. The best car in the segment. I love the interior design, space, engine and the alloys! Dont change the alloys, they are the best OEM alloys ive come across.
Also have you noticed that when you revv the car i think above 6 or 7k the needle turns red?? Post a pic of that too.

Wish you many more miles and drive Safe
I don't think it turns red when you revv the car above 6k or 7k RPM. I haven't observed any such thing in my manza.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 14:12   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,208
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I don't think it turns red when you revv the car above 6k or 7k RPM. I haven't observed any such thing in my manza.
It does. It is called Critical Rev Indicator, or something like that. One of the "Highlighted Features" of the Manza. The critical RPM is lower for a diesel, so won't be at 6/7k RPM, but around 4.5kish (I think, not sure).

Since Dr.Suraj's car is new, he will not be revving it so much at the moment. Probably once the Running In period is over, then he could test it out
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 14:15   #73
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 408
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Well, Then I think I will have to check it today itself. But I am quite sure that i did not observe any such thing in my car. Does it turn red when you're standing still in neutral and stepping on the accelerator as well or only when you're in motion?

PS - Yes, you're right. It does turn red when revved above 5k RPM. Here is a picture I found on cartradeindia.com. And it does turn red even when the vehicle is standing still.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by DeKay : 6th November 2011 at 14:24. Reason: PS Note.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 16:45   #74
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 587
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Dr. Suraj:
Excellent thread that has a lot of details and your passion for an Indian product.
The latter was one of the major drivers for me buying the Manza. The Elan was launched just a month after I bought the Manza where a few small but important improvements like the power window switch assembly, dashboard that does not reflect were introduced apart from the introduction of the color that you have picked. It is a pity that Tata does not offer the standard color like black any more for the Manza.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 16:52   #75
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 524
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
COngratulations on the Manza. The best car in the segment. I love the interior design, space, engine and the alloys! Dont change the alloys, they are the best OEM alloys ive come across.
Also have you noticed that when you revv the car i think above 6 or 7k the needle turns red?? Post a pic of that too.

Wish you many more miles and drive Safe
Hi Yash,

Thanks a lot.

Wow - thorough confusion now.

Mixed opinions on the colour, the interior, tyre upgrades & Alloys.

Well - I am definitely not changing ANYTHING for now.
Infact I waited for this black interiors.
Tyres definitely not now.
I was considering alloys - but yes, I do agree to your statement - these are definitely one of the best OEM alloys.
They do look nice no denying that.

Thanks for your lovely words.

Yes, I am aware of that little party trick - but since I am still in the running in period - I havent over-revved the car.

I will - probably after a month.
Will definitely post a pic & if possible video as well.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I don't think it turns red when you revv the car above 6k or 7k RPM. I haven't observed any such thing in my manza.
Hi DeKay - yes it is true.
Just like the Mercs & BMWs - our dear Manza does not have a red line marked - but the WHITE backlit needle turns red when it crosses the rev-mark.

I know this for a fact - it was even mentioned in the brochures.
I am yet to check mine.

Like I mentioned, waiting for run-in period.

Do check & let me know.

Thanks.
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TATA Indigo Manza Elan Quadrajet -Ownership Review. sai_ace Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 12th July 2014 21:39
Tata Manza Elan: 2 Months - 4200 Kms Report Diesel9999 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 18 4th January 2012 18:03
Tata to launch manza celebration edition soon PAVAN KADAM The Indian Car Scene 14 2nd November 2011 03:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks