Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 17:00   #76
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 503
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Sorry saw these later

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
It does. It is called Critical Rev Indicator, or something like that. One of the "Highlighted Features" of the Manza. The critical RPM is lower for a diesel, so won't be at 6/7k RPM, but around 4.5kish (I think, not sure).

Since Dr.Suraj's car is new, he will not be revving it so much at the moment. Probably once the Running In period is over, then he could test it out

PERFECT! Bang on. PRECISE. Thank YOU !!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
PS - Yes, you're right. It does turn red when revved above 5k RPM. Here is a picture I found on cartradeindia.com. And it does turn red even when the vehicle is standing still.
woohooo !!! Yeah! So it does work. Neat isn't it? Makes you want to revv it.

I am sure you will be doing a lot of it now - to show it off to everyone


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Dr. Suraj:
Excellent thread that has a lot of details and your passion for an Indian product.
The latter was one of the major drivers for me buying the Manza. The Elan was launched just a month after I bought the Manza where a few small but important improvements like the power window switch assembly, dashboard that does not reflect were introduced apart from the introduction of the color that you have picked. It is a pity that Tata does not offer the standard color like black any more for the Manza.
Thank you Mr. Sridhar K.

I agree with you totally on all points.
The latter was a major for us too.

Yes, there have CONSTANT subtle yet significant improvements in the right direction step-by-step.

God knows what more they will improve. But still, at no point of time is it a bad car.

Indeed - sorely miss a BLACK. It should be made compulsory shade to be kept available in all cars!


Enjoy! & keep in touch.
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 17:19   #77
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 475
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Dr Suraj

Really a nice and informative ownership thread put up by you.

I am always hooked on to your thread as each and everything that you mentioned is sheer pleasure to read.

I am looking to replace my 5 and half years old Santro with Vista Refresh/Manza after 6 - 7 months depending upon the Vitamin M then.

Keep those pictures with all the informative description coming . As your review will be decision making factor for me.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:56   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Great Review Dr Suraj. After reading your review, Tata Manza has become top of the list that I have shortlisted to buy in couple of months. It has made me switch my mind from a hatchback to sedan. Please post more information and details as you discover your beauty more.
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 00:48   #79
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 503
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Dr Suraj

Really a nice and informative ownership thread put up by you.

I am always hooked on to your thread as each and everything that you mentioned is sheer pleasure to read.

I am looking to replace my 5 and half years old Santro with Vista Refresh/Manza after 6 - 7 months depending upon the Vitamin M then.

Keep those pictures with all the informative description coming . As your review will be decision making factor for me.
Thank you so much Mr. Driving_Smartly.

Feels really nice to read these words of appreciation.
Adds a weight of responsibilities & expectations on my shoulders.
Nevertheless, I shall continue to try & maintain the best way I can.

I think - there is another T Bhpian who just replaced his Santro with the Manza.
I have read his ownership thread. I shall try to find it and send it across to you.

In the meantime - be rest assured - I will keep updating.
& hope to help you in your decision however I can - irrespective of what you end up buying.
Wish you all the luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
Great Review Dr Suraj. After reading your review, Tata Manza has become top of the list that I have shortlisted to buy in couple of months. It has made me switch my mind from a hatchback to sedan. Please post more information and details as you discover your beauty more.
WoW!

Et tu?
This is so nice to hear.

Thank you Mr. Naturalist.

Indeed - I shall update it in every way I can.

Though - let me stick out my neck and say 1 thing here -
Do not buy a Sedan in Mumbai if you don't NEED one.
Also - the Vista (new Vista with refresh) is quite amazing too. Or the Manza CS due sometime next year.

The Manza in general is a wonderful VFM car.

Wish you all the best.
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 00:52   #80
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 503
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Just an update of the 1st Service of my Manza @ 942 kms. 1 month old.

7th November 2011. Monday.

Went to Wasan Motors Workshop @ Deonar as per the Appointed time.
3 regular telephone calls as reminders for the appointment. Very precise and punctual. Nice.

Attended by Mr. Vijay Shetty. A very sincere person.

I had gone with a list of problems and posting about their answers / solutions here.

1. Plastic strip on Windscreen loose again - Replaced again by T.A.S.S. - though once again 1 technician mentioned on condition of anonymity that this is a wrong design & rubber beading was much more stable & secure. The plastic strip is a recurrent complaint.

2. Internal Door Handle screw caps fallen - replaced immediately. Hope they don't fall out again.

3. Rear Seat Tear - Clearly mentioned that they (workshop) needs it in writing from Wasan Motors, Chembur - then & ONLY then will they attend to it & place an order for the seat.

4. The Rear Seat Back not locking into place - rectified & advised not to remove it again unless necessary

5. A peculiar sound (rattling) - ONLY in Reverse gear and partial release of clutch - IMMEDIATELY recognized and identified as the Service Advisor as the cover loose below the engine (speaks of his knowledge & experience - & probably recurrence of the problem). Tightened the below engine cladding. Problem Solved !

6. Clutch - felt too hard. Explained extremely well by the SA - that it is a hydraulic clutch - unlike a cable clutch and this is precisely how it feels.

7. Brake - felt it had too much soft travel and then a sudden bite. Again explained nicely that the break too is hydraulic and both the clutch & break derive oil from the same 'container'. He assured us that the break would feel better / softer after about 5000 kms.

8. Remote Locking - absence of any audio confirmation when locking or unlocking the car. Confirmed by the SA - that there is NO audio confirmation.

We left the car at 11:30 am - the SA said it would take some time to do all the repairs.
By 6 pm we recieved an sms from Tata Motors that the car was ready! (Very nice service)
By 6:30 pm we picked it up.
Again courteously explained , shown everything by the Service Advisor.

Total bill - 100 Rs!

But the best part was the ride back home - for the 1st time since we bought the car - we enjoyed a SUPER SILENT ride.
Not 1 squeak, not 1 rattle, not 1 loose screw. The Manza felt like a high-class luxury sedan.

Also, thanks to the clean A/C - even at the lowest speed, we were chilling in 2 minutes.

WoW!

I am quite impressed and very happy.

Praying VERY hard - that no such niggles crop up.
And hoping for a resolution of the rear seat tear problem soon.


Sorry guys - I carried my cam - as I specifically wanted to click some pics today of a Clean, Washed Manza. But since it was late in the evening - it was quite dark & did get any pictures.
:(

Thus treated the Manza to its 1 month birthday with a nice service & clean up.

Next service - 5000 kms or 6 months.
(Something tells me it will be the latter & not the former)

In the meantime - waiting for 100 kms more.
& then - a nice Highway run for the beauty Manza.

Will post about that too.
Dr.Suraj is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 20:26   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 34
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

6. Clutch - felt too hard. Explained extremely well by the SA - that it is a hydraulic clutch - unlike a cable clutch and this is precisely how it feels.

7. Brake - felt it had too much soft travel and then a sudden bite. Again explained nicely that the break too is hydraulic and both the clutch & break derive oil from the same 'container'. He assured us that the break would feel better / softer after about 5000 kms.
Well.. I thought Hydraulic systems are supposed to smoother and gentler. If clutch is too hard check some other Manza or better take second opinion (pun intended) .
R.D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 21:53   #82
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 503
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D.P. View Post
Well.. I thought Hydraulic systems are supposed to smoother and gentler. If clutch is too hard check some other Manza or better take second opinion (pun intended) .



Pun well noted!

All the people who have driven my Manza are completely fine with the clutch.

But it is about 10% harder than the test drive Manza I had driven.

As for the 'relative' hardness - my Indica clutch - felt as if it itself weight 25 kgs. I cannot describe how hard & heavy that was (thus the moniker Jumbo)
The Manza in comparison is a breeze!
It is no Santro or Alto - but quite similar & soft.

Frankly, it was just a question I had asked more out of curiosity than anything else - what was I to expect in 942 kms ?!
Dr.Suraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 22:22   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 84
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

I have been following this thread for the past few days, as I would be buying my first family car. I donít want to compromise on the design, look and speed of the car for space. Now that I have seen this thread, I exactly know which car I would purchase and that is the Tata Indigo Manza. My wife will be happy with the leather and the burgundy interiors which doesnít bother me as long I get the car I want. I even see that people have appreciated the music system, steering controls with the Bluetooth feature. So thank you everyone, now I canít wait to book this car.
bigautobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 22:40   #84
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 398
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigautobuff View Post
I have been following this thread for the past few days, as I would be buying my first family car. I donít want to compromise on the design, look and speed of the car for space. Now that I have seen this thread, I exactly know which car I would purchase and that is the Tata Indigo Manza. My wife will be happy with the leather and the burgundy interiors which doesnít bother me as long I get the car I want. I even see that people have appreciated the music system, steering controls with the Bluetooth feature. So thank you everyone, now I canít wait to book this car.
Congratulations on making this decision. The Manza is a great car and will definitely keep you satisfied. But, make sure you take a nice test drive to get a feel of the car. Never book a car based on someone else's views. Though Dr. Suraj has done a great job compiling this beautiful report for us, you should buy the car based solely on your views. Also, take your family along for their approval. If not the Manza, there are many great options out there!

Happy choosing.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 23:40   #85
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,199
Thanked: 2,978 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Thanks for giving your views about the car in such a unbiased way. Reading about your first service experience makes me both smile and sad at the same time. Smile because finally you managed a totally Silent ride back home in your new car. Sad because I feel Tata really needs to work hard to ensure that you get that Silent ride from the minute you take delivery and it stays like that for many many kms. Its sort of heartbreaking to see these extremely small yet stupid niggles to be present in a brand new car. Otherwise I personally see no reason why should Dzire outsell the Manza. Or why should Etios be of any threat to the Manza.

Please Mr. Tata wake up and give us a gem of a car. You are almost there.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 06:10   #86
BHPian
 
pamiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 259
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Thanks for your wonderful review. You have written it so well that I felt I should go, run and buy a Manza right away. Unfortunately I don't a have a need (and money) right now,. While I like most of the interior details about this car, the exterior is not to my taste. I mean no disrespect to you or any owners of Manza. Just my personal opinion. I feel Tata still has to improve a level more to reach the quality of traditional carmakers (quality, not value) and I'm sure they are on the right track. I would like to buy a Tata car at some point in future, but would prefer to wait at least for now. My hope is when I switch from my Civic to a Tata car I want to feel it as an upgrade and not a downgrade. I guess I'll have to wait a little bit. Thanks again for your great write up Suraj.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 10:05   #87
Newbie
 
redohabitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

I really think that a lot more should be offered in terms of rattle free driving experience, good quality plastics, and decent tyre size, when we are paying 9 Lakhs for a car. Polo has a cabin with no squeaks and rattles, yes it has gone thru cost cutting and need insulation, but that can be done after market for a couple of thousand rupees, not the rattles. i20 and swift have much better plastics at a lesser price, and really, why are the tyres malnourished?
redohabitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 11:30   #88
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 398
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by redohabitat View Post
I really think that a lot more should be offered in terms of rattle free driving experience, good quality plastics, and decent tyre size, when we are paying 9 Lakhs for a car. Polo has a cabin with no squeaks and rattles, yes it has gone thru cost cutting and need insulation, but that can be done after market for a couple of thousand rupees, not the rattles. i20 and swift have much better plastics at a lesser price, and really, why are the tyres malnourished?
I hear you redohabitat, Even I have thought of this a lot! When VW can offer a rattle free experience in the polo and vento, why can't Tata or Maruti do it! They always leave the customer with a lot more to be desired in terms of that.
The tyres, like you said definitely help in improving the ride quality, but all in all, finally it comes to build quality of the car. The quality of the plastics used and the way they are engineered. Providing better quality tyres, will increase the manufacturing cost of the car. Hence, manufacturers refrain from providing the best available tyres. Take the Yeti for example, which is an example of solid german engineering providing the best driving experience an MUV can, but again the tyres Skoda provides, are not meant for offroad use.

Hence, tyre change as soon as you get the delivery of your car, makes a compelling case for itself.


I am sorry, I didn't quite get you, do you mean to say that the i20 and the swift have better quality plastics than the Polo?

Last edited by DeKay : 9th November 2011 at 11:33. Reason: Typo
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 14:01   #89
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 503
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigautobuff View Post
I have been following this thread for the past few days, as I would be buying my first family car. I donít want to compromise on the design, look and speed of the car for space. Now that I have seen this thread, I exactly know which car I would purchase and that is the Tata Indigo Manza. My wife will be happy with the leather and the burgundy interiors which doesnít bother me as long I get the car I want. I even see that people have appreciated the music system, steering controls with the Bluetooth feature. So thank you everyone, now I canít wait to book this car.
I agree totally to Mr. DeKay's advice.
I am not selling Tata cars here - just expressing my exhilaration.

PLEASE do not base your purchase ENTIRELY on my or for that matter any1 else's review.
Go for a test drive YOURSELF. Seat yourself. Your family.
You will never get a 100% perfect product (if you do - it is usually out of the price range) - but you must buy the car that matches YOUR individual needs & wants to the maximum.

Satisfying your heart, head, foot, backside and pocket.

So go around, look around, drive around. Keep all the points in mind.
Then decide.
Wish you all the best.

Awaiting your ownership report soon.

We shall all be more than happy to help you in anyway we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Congratulations on making this decision. The Manza is a great car and will definitely keep you satisfied. But, make sure you take a nice test drive to get a feel of the car. Never book a car based on someone else's views. Though Dr. Suraj has done a great job compiling this beautiful report for us, you should buy the car based solely on your views. Also, take your family along for their approval. If not the Manza, there are many great options out there!

Happy choosing.
Thank you Mr. DeKay for your kind words again. & Yes, for the right advice. Bang on!
Appreciate it. Well Done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Thanks for giving your views about the car in such a unbiased way. Reading about your first service experience makes me both smile and sad at the same time. Smile because finally you managed a totally Silent ride back home in your new car. Sad because I feel Tata really needs to work hard to ensure that you get that Silent ride from the minute you take delivery and it stays like that for many many kms. Its sort of heartbreaking to see these extremely small yet stupid niggles to be present in a brand new car. Otherwise I personally see no reason why should Dzire outsell the Manza. Or why should Etios be of any threat to the Manza.

Please Mr. Tata wake up and give us a gem of a car. You are almost there.
I feel what you just said. Deeply. Indeed! Perfection from day 1.

Hope they are listening. & your last statement - most important.
They have improved a LOT over the years. ... Looking forward for what the future holds.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Thanks for your wonderful review. You have written it so well that I felt I should go, run and buy a Manza right away. Unfortunately I don't a have a need (and money) right now,. While I like most of the interior details about this car, the exterior is not to my taste. I mean no disrespect to you or any owners of Manza. Just my personal opinion. I feel Tata still has to improve a level more to reach the quality of traditional carmakers (quality, not value) and I'm sure they are on the right track. I would like to buy a Tata car at some point in future, but would prefer to wait at least for now. My hope is when I switch from my Civic to a Tata car I want to feel it as an upgrade and not a downgrade. I guess I'll have to wait a little bit. Thanks again for your great write up Suraj.
Thank you very much for the appreciation. Indeed - totally agree to what you say.
& frankly - yes, you will have to wait. Atleast 2-3 years more. They should get there soon. Till then they have buyers likes us to support them

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I hear you redohabitat, Even I have thought of this a lot! When VW can offer a rattle free experience in the polo and vento, why can't Tata or Maruti do it! They always leave the customer with a lot more to be desired in terms of that.
The tyres, like you said definitely help in improving the ride quality, but all in all, finally it comes to build quality of the car. The quality of the plastics used and the way they are engineered. Providing better quality tyres, will increase the manufacturing cost of the car. Hence, manufacturers refrain from providing the best available tyres. Take the Yeti for example, which is an example of solid german engineering providing the best driving experience an MUV can, but again the tyres Skoda provides, are not meant for offroad use.

Hence, tyre change as soon as you get the delivery of your car, makes a compelling case for itself.


I am sorry, I didn't quite get you, do you mean to say that the i20 and the swift have better quality plastics than the Polo?

Yes, that is the right way to look at it.

The manufacturer must balance his manufacturing costs, operating profits along with fuel efficiency - so a lot goes into it.

Thank you.
Dr.Suraj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 16:29   #90
Newbie
 
redohabitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I hear you redohabitat, Even I have thought of this a lot! When VW can offer a rattle free experience in the polo and vento, why can't Tata or Maruti do it! They always leave the customer with a lot more to be desired in terms of that.
The tyres, like you said definitely help in improving the ride quality, but all in all, finally it comes to build quality of the car. The quality of the plastics used and the way they are engineered. Providing better quality tyres, will increase the manufacturing cost of the car. Hence, manufacturers refrain from providing the best available tyres. Take the Yeti for example, which is an example of solid german engineering providing the best driving experience an MUV can, but again the tyres Skoda provides, are not meant for offroad use.

Hence, tyre change as soon as you get the delivery of your car, makes a compelling case for itself.


I am sorry, I didn't quite get you, do you mean to say that the i20 and the swift have better quality plastics than the Polo?
Thanks for the reply, i meant that i20 and new swift have better interiors than elan, but then, you are a proud owner so can comment better. a better tyre would have costed maybe a thousand rupee more. thats the short sightedness some manufacturers have...
redohabitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TATA Indigo Manza Elan Quadrajet -Ownership Review. sai_ace Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 12th July 2014 21:39
Tata Manza Elan: 2 Months - 4200 Kms Report Diesel9999 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 18 4th January 2012 18:03
Tata to launch manza celebration edition soon PAVAN KADAM The Indian Car Scene 14 2nd November 2011 03:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks