Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st October 2011, 15:01   #1

Cool My New Chevy Cruze LT!

My search for a new car started almost an year ago when my trusted 5 yrs old IKON flair started falling apart. I wanted a cart which handles really well and is more powerful (atleast 100 horses).

The initial shortlist was comprised of -

1. T-Jet - It was awesome test drive. Just loved the handling and effortless power this car had. Decided to wait till i find something better in diesel. Only issue was it took me atleast 6-7 months to make a decision and by then FIAT numbers had dwindled so much -> i dint want to risk it.

2. Honda City - Very easy to drive. First thing i noticed was that i was not tired at all after driving this car all day. But totally non inspiring ride and handling. Never called the dealer back

3. Vento diesel highline - A great compromise! Great to drive in the city. No turbo lag and easy maneuverability. Definitely made my shortlist right away. Infact this was way before the Hyundai Verna was launched and i ended up booking the vento almost 2 months ago. the dealer could not give me the blue color in less than a month and that led me to the Hyundai Verna.

4. New Verna - great car to drive. Infact i was surprised to with effortless power, great ergonomics (turn indicators on the right etc) and easy to drive in the city. After the test drive i immediately cancelled the vento and asked my dad to book the Verna instead. But

Hyundai accross Punjab had stopped taking any new bookings for an indefinite amount of time. I also found the dealer staff to be rude and non responsive.

At that time it looked like i will have to wait atleast 6 months before i get my car. Around this time i started reading Mobike's LT thread and it struck me that the Cruze LT can be a great option.

I had done a test drive of the LTZ version earlier and i was mighty impressed but never really gave it serious thought because of the price and the size!

but the LT was going to be only abt 3 lacs more expensive than the Verna and a lot more fun.

decided and booked the LT right away. Saw tarun sethi's Sandrift Grey Pics and decided on this color without even looking at one in the showroom.

Got the delivery a few days before diwali.
My New Chevy Cruze LT!-img_0859.jpg

Things I Like -

1. Brutal Power after the turbo kicks in. It ate every car for breakfast on the highway. Its just awesome to drive this after the FLAIR.
2. Great driving position and ergonomics - The details are well managed. The glove box and visor mirror have lights. The center console is great for browsing thru my playlists, steering mounted controls are great.
3. Handling -the steering is really light a low speeds which is great for the city but on the highway it weighs nicely and makes the car fun to drive at high speeds. There is not the slightest of wobble (which was there in the ANHV) at any speed (have been to 160 in the 5th gear )
4 Ultra smooth Ride
5. Spine Support on front seats is great. The seats grip you on the sides when taking high speed turns.
6. Bottle holders are big and can accommodate full1 litre bottles
7. interior plastic quality is great and much better than the ANHV.
8. huge boot. can accomodate 2-3 full size travel bags.

Irritants and bigger issues -

1. Significant Turbo Lag - the turbo kicks in only at 1800 rpm for against 1200 rpm reported by Mobike. Mine is the new all black interior model.

2. Size - Its huge! Not very practical for city driving.

3. Headlights & ICE have to turned off after switching off the engine??

4. No lever to release the boot ?? have to do it from the FOB.

5. Headlights arent the best. Maybe i will go for an upgrade to the flood lights. Can anyone suggest the most suitable upgrade?

6. Braking is decent to say the least. Not bad but not great either.

I still think if i had found a powerful hatch i would have gone for the same. But i found all hatches including the i20 to be lacking in power.

Have not yet gone in for the tyre upgrade. dont know if i should. Handling is very decent already. What are the real benefits for a tyre upgrade on this one?

More pics -

Rear View - I think a Spoiler will look very good here.

My New Chevy Cruze LT!-img_0857.jpg

My New Chevy Cruze LT!-img_0858.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2011 at 14:27. Reason: We do not allow short form of car names any longer. Thanks
motor-head is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 16:59   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My New Chevy Cruze LT!

Let me be the first one to congratulate on your new drive.

The Car is a monster and do get used to its behaviour before pushing it to its limit. I have not seen any Cruze in this colour. Any reason for choosing this colour?

Drive safe.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 17:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-head View Post
I wanted a cart which handles really well and is more powerful.
You wanted a cart and you bought a car instead Just kidding.

Anyways congrats motor-head and wish you happy miles in your new car.
Do post some pictures of the interiors also. Been dreaming of the cruze for a while.
zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 17:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations for your rocket. This colour looks fantastic on the Cruze.

AFAIK headlights have to be turned off in every car even after shutting down the engine. The 2 are not related. Am I missing something here?

Do post some pics of the interiors.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 17:24   #5
BHPian

Motor-head congrats ! It's a beauty, the cruze has been on my drool list for some time now.
And nice colour! Am seeing this colour for the first time. Now waiting for the interior pics.

Happy driving !
plimsollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 17:30   #6
BHPian

Congrats motorhead! Wish you many happy miles with the rocket! The sandrift grey color looks amazing.

I never knew the cruze LT had steering controls. I always thought that the LT was a really basic car. Has chevy come out with a new LT version? What are the extra features that are now being offered and were not offered before? Does your car have a leather wrapped steering as well?
Some interior pictures too would definitely help
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 18:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey Motor-head, hearty congratulations on the CRUZE! Nice diesel rocket. Thats my favourite car on the road today by a margin. Wishing you unlimited safe & happy miles with it. Do post some more pictures, especially those of the new interior you mentioned please. And its a really nice colour. I haven't seen too many Cruze s of this shade on the roads yet. The Wine Red & White are the ones seen most. Good to have a unique one.

As for the headlamps & music system, generally they have to be manually turned off and not directly linked to the engine. This is how it works in my car when i turn off the engine with headlamps and ICE working -
1. headlamps go out and parking lamps remain on. headlamps have to be manually switched on again if required. (To avoid battery drain by lamps left on mistakenly.)

2. ICE remains working till I take out the key from the ignition. It works even in OFF position, if it had been turned once after inserting into On.

Happy Cruze-ing!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:26   #8

Hello, Motor-head, hearty congratulations on the CRUZE!

Just wanted to check again-
Hyundai accross Punjab had stopped taking any new bookings for an indefinite amount of time.
I today only enquired about Verna and they are taking the bookings in Punjab, so i doubt the dealer has given you correct information.

Once again a big congrats for a great car...

R
rsachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 09:31   #9
BHPian

Congrats motor head. Cruze is a great car and the colour that you have got yourself is the best colour IMHO in cruze. Wish you many happy miles of cruzing with the cruze. This is the car I wish to own and in this very colour. Please post the interior pics as well.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 14:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the rocket ! Please do add a lot more interior pics. Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 14:49   #11
BHPian

Super car and color motorhead - Congratulations!
Enjoy your Cruze!

By the way - Did you check with the dealer during purchase as there were rumors of an update in the near future. More power with improved interiors and legroom at the back.

Cheers!
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:52   #12

Hey Guys!,

Have been really busy with work this week so no time to click interior pics. Wil post them on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Super car and color motorhead - Congratulations!
Enjoy your Cruze!

By the way - Did you check with the dealer during purchase as there were rumors of an update in the near future. More power with improved interiors and legroom at the back.

Cheers!
Hey, thanks Cyborg!

Yes i know abt the upgrade but i figured it will anyway be

1. More expensive
2. More power - 163 HP but 150 HP was enough for me.
3. Turbo Lag - This is something no dealer could confirm. Even other cruze forums around the world aren't claiming that that the turbo lag is lesser in the new cruze. Though the new engine is by FIAT
4. Leg room at the back is more than sufficient in this one as well.

Also i needed an upgrade pretty soon and dint want to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Let me be the first one to congratulate on your new drive.

The Car is a monster and do get used to its behaviour before pushing it to its limit. I have not seen any Cruze in this colour. Any reason for choosing this colour?

Drive safe.
Thanks MAS,

I'm actually getting good at driving this fast now. For the color, I just liked the grey in tushar sethi's post. Also, i dint want to buy the black or white (monotone colors) and red just dosent cut it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Congrats motorhead! Wish you many happy miles with the rocket! The sandrift grey color looks amazing.

I never knew the cruze LT had steering controls. I always thought that the LT was a really basic car. Has chevy come out with a new LT version? What are the extra features that are now being offered and were not offered before? Does your car have a leather wrapped steering as well?
Some interior pictures too would definitely help
Thanks DeKay,

The new 2011 cruze LT has steering controls. It also has the USB and AUX input for an iPod. Doesn't have a leather wrapped steering or seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
hey Motor-head, hearty congratulations on the CRUZE! Nice diesel rocket. Thats my favourite car on the road today by a margin. Wishing you unlimited safe & happy miles with it. Do post some more pictures, especially those of the new interior you mentioned please. And its a really nice colour. I haven't seen too many Cruze s of this shade on the roads yet. The Wine Red & White are the ones seen most. Good to have a unique one.

As for the headlamps & music system, generally they have to be manually turned off and not directly linked to the engine. This is how it works in my car when i turn off the engine with headlamps and ICE working -
1. headlamps go out and parking lamps remain on. headlamps have to be manually switched on again if required. (To avoid battery drain by lamps left on mistakenly.)

2. ICE remains working till I take out the key from the ignition. It works even in OFF position, if it had been turned once after inserting into On.

Happy Cruze-ing!
thanks ReinHard for the info.

I still think the real use case is - Headlights should switch off with ignition but if one wants he can switch it on with again without starting the car with just the key plugged in. Maybe the same thing with ICE.

Also, Has anybody done an upgrade on the headlamps of their cruze. I want a 5000k HID unit. It will be great if someone can recommend a product(if it can be imported for cheap, the better)?

How much would a double exhaust unit cost? i remember Pullockaran posting these accessories which can be imported.

The car has done 700 kms in a week now. 50 % of it was on the highway where it reveals its true colors. Overtaking is a breeze. Just press the accelerator,even in the 4th gear, and the turbo kicks in which always brings a smile to my face. Its difficult to accelerate in the 5th gear as its really tall. I dont think this car needs a 6th gear with the current ratios.

Ride is super smooth and i dont think i will ever be going with lower profile tyres on it.

Handling is getting better with use and i will say its at par with my Ikon.

I will go in for an oil change at 2500 kms so that any small metal particles are removed. Please suggest if i should service the car sooner than 15 k kms.

~Thanks
motor-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will go in for an oil change at 2500 kms so that any small metal particles are removed.
That's good. By the way Cruze uses mineral / semi synthetic / synthetic oil ?

Quote:
Please suggest if i should service the car sooner than 15 k kms.
I would do a general check up every 5K kilometers for a Diesel car which will include air filter cleaning, all fluid check & top ups. For Maruti there are packages which cost like 120/- or 250/- for these. Not sure Chevy has something of this sort. And if you primarily drive in bumper-bumper city traffic, I would suggest you service earlier like at every 7500 kms or at 10,000 kms.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd November 2011 at 13:39.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

motor-head, Congratulations on buying the Diesel Rocket (Thats what they call it at Chevrolet). What the thread is missing is some internal pictures of this beauty. By uploading so few pictures you have not done justice to this wonderful looking car.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:04   #15
BHPian

Congratulations motor-head .
The cruze according to me is the most VFM product in its price range and the color hat you have picked really suits the car well

What are the mods that you plan on doing ?
And please post some more pictures of the handsome brute
Enigmatic is online now   Reply With Quote