Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 21st December 2011, 15:31   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Diesels: Test drove an A6 3.0TDI and a BMW 525d

as to the discount, how it came to 450,000:

1. Official audi discount on 3.0T: 250,000
2. Additional discount from dealer: 50,000
3. Max Insurance cover 50% discount: 96,000
4. Free extended warranty: 50,000
5. Free Audi car cover: 4,000

Total: 450,000
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:48   #62
BHPian

The car is home. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

went for about a 50km drive in it. I find that with the car in my hands for an extended drive, I am most blown away by the phenomenal speed of the car. Its wickedly, devastatingly, scarily holy-crap-i'm-not-in-control!! fast when given the spurs.

a full review when I have pictures and the adrenaline jitters the car produced have worn off.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:34   #63
BHPian

oh holy flying spaghetti monster. what a rocket.

i'd say the gap's trend has gone opposite to what you have said. Up until the E39, the A6 was no match for the BMW. An unqualified, undisputed second rank player compared to the 5 series which was hands down the absolute best all round sport luxury sedan in the world. The Audi had an incredible interior, but the BMW's was impressive in its own right and in everything else, for the enthusiast driver, the BMW just DESTROYED the A6. But then around 2005, the the raft of new japanese entries (specifically the Acura RL/Honda Legend, the Lexus GS and the Infiniti M) pulled ahead of both the A6 and the E60.

The BMW 5 series has since not recovered its pre-eminent position in the global luxury sport sedans, while the 2009 update to the A6 put it back in the front, and the 2012 has made it the the best car in the segment, while the 5 series has gone off the rails completely.

It is too bad that Indians have no experience with the E34 and E39 5 series and their contemporary rivals to understand what total and completely mastery BMW had over all the others in the luxury sport sedan arena, and what advantage has been lost by the bavarian company.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2011 at 17:44. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 01:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir
oh holy flying spaghetti monster. what a rocket.
Congratulations on the car, and Oh we cant wait on the pics and your review on it.

Bring it on!
Old 24th December 2011, 18:59   #65
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Somehow I feel that the gap between the 5 and a6 has reduced more than ever. Comparing previous gen a6 and 5 , I would choose 5 hands down. Current gen, most probably A6. I feel that f10 is not as driver oriented as e60 was.

Last edited by mxx : 24th December 2011 at 19:21.
Old 26th December 2011, 05:22   #66
BHPian

I don't follow the point of merging those posts, since now my response to mxx comes before the comment of his that it was a response to
Old 26th December 2011, 20:14   #67
BHPian

sorry for the lack of a test review. I've been contemplating on whether to just write it for my own blog or what.

anyway, just wanted to drop in a few comments:

1. The headlights are absolutely TERRIBLE. The low beam is aimed so low that the light illuminates about 3 or 4 car lengths ahead of the car and then sharply cuts off. This is not much of a problem in cities with street lights, but on dark roads, this beam pattern is dangerous to drive at over 30km/h because past the cut off distance, you cannot see people walking or crossing, dogs, cycle rickshaws, bullock carts, whatever else. The high beam is even worse. its very bright and blinding to on coming traffic, but its too diffuse and unfocused to sharply illuminate objects in the distance, so while you get some lighting on far off objects, its simply not enough to help you discern quickly what it is, which way its going, how fast, etc.

I am absolutely horrified that Audi has done such a terrible job with the headlights. THese are the worst headlights on any new car I have encountered in the last 20 years. My wife's new i10 has Precision Light Artillery for headlights in comparison to the Audi. I am going to ask the dealer if they can manually re-aim the lights and hopefully that will correct the problem but I expect to be given a negative answer.

2. I see no advantage of the DSG over a conventional automatic for a car of this type, but its a very nice transmission that works as nicely as a torque converter equipped automatic, except you don't get that fluid ooze on very light throttle when the tyre is encountering resistance from a steep slope or a stone or something. You can feel that what the car is doing is similar to a driver slipping a clutch.

3. The fuel economy is very satisfactory. In normal driving, in absolutely the worst kind of stop go traffic, the car delivers 6.5km/L which rises to about 8km/l in free flowing traffic if you are not encountering traffic lights. On the highway, the car delivers about 11km/l if I drive it with about the sort of performance demand as I would make on the civic. If I am liberal with the throttle for quick overtaking, it drops to 9.5km/L.

overall in about 500km, I would say that city is 6.5 and highway is 9.5. This is extremely satisfactory since my dad's old Honda Accord (2001 model, 2.3L 141hp inline 4) that I now drive has been doing 7/10. For this kind of weight, performance, 4 wheel drive, to produce about the same fuel economy is deeply gratifying.

4. Cruising around town at under 50km/h is a wonderfully relaxing experience. the engine is virtually inaudible, unlike the gruff booming hum of the diesel in the 3.0TDI, the steering is sharp but twirls as if its on silken bearings, the suspension is superbly adapted to taking the edge off the road surface.

5. Its bloody fricking fast. it takes huge bites out of the road when given the spurs. Not torquey like the diesel at all. Needs revs. Give it revs and the damn thing leaves behind traffic as if somebody lit the afterburners on a pair of large turbofans. Since it has no manual and its a large heavy soft car, the speed is not most useful for sporty driving but for making quick progress through traffic because it leaps, nay WARPS, through openings in traffic to build up very high average speeds, even when top speeds remain sane. It goes from 100-170 in less time and space than, say, my mom's civic takes to go from 100-125.

It has so much speed that its made my dad a bit nervous because he is finding that it builds up SO MUCH speed, SO QUICKLY and so deceptively, that he is finding himself going much faster than he has space to slow down from in the available space. So he's deliberately having to moderate himself and shift his frame of reference on speed.

6. The quattro is brilliant in helping put down all that power. YOu can be extremely rough with the throttle and the car keeps it all together for you by not upsetting the chassis in response to your hamhandedness. I drive too fast into a corner, engine singing, then mat the accelerator pedal too soon, and the car just bites in the road and LEAPS out of the corner, charging hard, with massive g forces both continuing to complete the turn and rocket you forward. Its a surreal experience to have your body undergo such intense forces in such unexpected combinations of directions, even while the car remains so totally composed. Its real mind bending stuff to feel things happening so rapidly that your mind has to be sharp and reactive as a razor to keep on top of things, and yet all you feel in the car is a calm velvety assurance, without any drama or nervousness.

brilliant.

7. The steering is dynamic mode is too stiff for throwing the car around when lots of rapid steering lock is required. . It seems to have been tuned for high speed highway work, not twisty roads.

8. THe rear seat is quite short on space in that the car is effectively a 4 seater. the center tunnel hump is so large that only infants in baby seats will fit in the middle row. and the hump is so wide that the rear seat footwells on either side are quite small. The rear seat has adequate space for a 6 footer if there is a short person in the front seat, otherwise not. The rear seat's bottom squab is also a short.

If I was going to have a driver, I would not buy this car. I'd buy an accord whose rear seat space is devastatingly larger. In fact, I think that unless I was going to have a car as spacious as an S class or long wheel base A8, my chauffeur driven car would be an accord or a camry since both have more rear seat room than any BMW, Audi, or mercedes that costs less than 75 lacs.

Thats it for now. may add later as thoughts crystallize.
Old 26th December 2011, 21:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the A6! Guess it is the first A6 ownership review here on the forum.

Do the headlights do a self-test up-down movement when you start the car?

Low beam cut-off can be adapted using dealer's computer. But yeah xenons are not very helpful spotting pedestrians crossing the road due to their sharp cut-off.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:16   #69
BHPian

yes, they dip way way down, then rise up to the normal level (which is too low). My 330i also had xenons that were too low, but they had a manual adjustment knob that I used to raise them a level that made them perfectly usable as low beams without blinding oncoming traffic. The Audi has no adjusters that I was able to ascertain.

hopefully the dealer can help
Old 27th December 2011, 08:17   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
yes, they dip way way down, then rise up to the normal level (which is too low). My 330i also had xenons that were too low, but they had a manual adjustment knob that I used to raise them a level that made them perfectly usable as low beams without blinding oncoming traffic. The Audi has no adjusters that I was able to ascertain.

hopefully the dealer can help
I don't know about the current gen, but the previous VW groups cars had an allen/hex socket which has to be turned to aim the headlight focus while connected to the dealer computer and then "store" that as the new setting. Just turning the screw alone doesn't help - it has to be done along with the computer.

When you send it to the dealer just ensure the new level is just right - if it is too high you will blind the on-coming traffic big time.

Audi A6 (4F) Headlight Aim Control (Adaptive Light) - Ross-Tech Wiki

btw, one of the coolest things about VW group cars is that you can buy an after-market diagnostic software for less than 300$ which is almost identical to the dealer's computer. it is the ultimate 'gadget' for a car for someone who is enthusiastic about such things:

Ross-Tech: VCDS
Old 27th December 2011, 09:15   #71
BHPian

Happened to read the autocar uk, sep 2010 copy (about the audi A7 sport back) and i quote ' the new generation quattro drivetrain that generally transmits 60 percent of the power towards the back axle'.

Is this the reason why Audi drive better than before....an AWD with a RWD bias ?
Old 28th December 2011, 21:58   #72
BHPian

amazing that the inside mirror is self dimming but the outside mirrors are not! you get blinded any way and you're left feeling negative about the non dimming outsides, rather than appreciating the self dimming inside mirror!

Last edited by Harbir : 28th December 2011 at 22:00.
Old 29th December 2011, 21:05   #73
BHPian

the car is returning a phenomenal 12km/l on the highway when travelling at 80-90km/h in heavy traffic that limits strong bursts of acceleration. At a steady 90km/h cruise, it returns 14.6km/l. Very impressive indeed for a car of such phenomenal performance.

on the flip side, the very wide transmission tunnel makes for very narrow front seats. The seats in my accord are veritably throne like in comparison. There also seems to some offset in the IP relative to the driver's seat. the top left of the tach is obscured by the steering wheel rim (unless the steering wheel in set uncomfortable high or uncomfortable far from the driver) while the speedo is always fully and clearly visible.

Also, the trouble I predicted in DSGs right from the beginning does exist after all, which is that if you do something other than what the DSG expected, it gets caught in with the wrong gear selected. So for example, if you are braking for a turn off, the transmission pre-selects the next lower gear on the other shaft (say from 4-3), but then if you suddenly realize that the turn you want is the one 50 meters down the road and step on the throttle, the transmission jolts as the engine computer slams clutches to try to get back on top of things.

on the positive side, the car's refinement, polish, slickness and performance are just breathtaking and continue to amaze.

Not a fan of the white gauge cluster markings though. My buddy's first generation A4 had 100% red interior lighting (switch back lighting, instrument needles, instrument lighting, everything. Much better in my view than the mixed red and white.
Old 29th December 2011, 21:51   #74
Team-BHP Support

Closing this thread as car has been purchased already.

Please start a new ownership report in a new thread.

Thanks!
Closed Thread