Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th November 2011, 15:48   #1

Default My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast

So I finally got my Chevy Cruze on the day I got my new job. I think itís a good omen. Itís a Sand Drift Grey LT model. It was either this colour or black for me. But Iíve already had a black Honda City so I was inclined towards the Sand Drift Grey. Iím going to follow the ďassembly lineĒ format mentioned in the forum rules to make this simple.

1. Alternatives Considered: The usual suspects Civic, Laura, Altis, Cruze and even the Fluence. My budget was 13-16 lakhs. I was primarily looking for good looks and decent performance. I was not too particular about things like power, resale value and availability of cheap spares. Iíd probably chose the civic or altis if I did.
  • Civic is way too common. Also, I read on TeamBHP that it was nearing the end of its product lifecycle with a new Civic due in 2012
  • Laura had some very nasty reviews and the stories of their after-sales service were shocking. I did test drive it though. The petrol variant. I liked it. But the looks are a bit plain, especially on the inside. This is just a personal opinion.
  • Altis was not really in consideration due to the extremely minimalistic looks from inside. Although the new G&G model does come with a 7Ē in-dash touch-screen player and some other nice features.
  • Fluence had very negative reviews on TeamBHP although i personally think its a stunner
  • I think it had to be the Cruze for me. Its a beast. I love the way it looks. The 2.0 engine and the body shape makes you feel like youíre in a tank on steroids. It took two test drives and extreme R&D on this site (and others) to come to this decision.
2. Booking and Delivery Experience: Very smooth and by the book. My dealer was Ashtavinayak in Goregaon. I had a single point of contact there and the sales person was respectful, knowledgeable and competent. I did have to argue for the car cover and the boot mat but thatís a minor thing. Overall good experience and timely delivery. They kept their word on every promise.

3.On-road price, Discounts: About 14L + Customizations (more on that later). I got my own insurance and did not buy insurance from the dealer. I did not know I could do that till someone told me about it.

4. Engine type & variant: Cruze only comes with a 2.0 Diesel Engine. I got the LT Variant (manual transmission)

KMs Driven and usage patterns: About 500KM driven. Roughly 30-35 km a day with 80% dense traffic and 20% open highway.

6. Exterior Styling: thatís what did it for me. I love it.

7. Interior Design and Quality: The design is simply awesome. Itís ergonomic and looks hot. However I had read that the quality of plastics and button/knobs are not as good as the Civics and Lauras. But I am reasonably satisfied with them. No complaints as such.

8. Interior Space and comfort: Ranks high on comfort. Not so much on space. I am 6í2Ē and I doubt if anyone more than 5í4Ē can sit comfortably behind me in this car. I had read about dismal head room for the rear passengers but I have not seen anyone have that problem in my car yet. Have the GM people changed something here?

9. Other noteworthy interior points: Great air conditioning, powerful headlamps, basic odometer panel cluster, good looking dash. I was not sure if the LT model would play the ipod. But it does and very well at that. Complete integration. You can scroll all the artists, albums, genres etc from the dash controls. Same for a USB drive. The USB drive will only play the first 10,000 songs though. It says so in the manual.

10. Engine performance: Excellent. But the turbo lag is obvious. The clutch recoil does live up to its reputation of being hard. It does get tough during bumper to bumper traffic, but once the road clears a bit, you will probably leave everyone behind.

11.Fuel Efficiency: honestly i have not kept track of it yet. Watch this space.

After Sales service: had my first servicing yesterday. Was effortless. Although they sent someone to collect the car, i travelled with that mechanic to the service centre. Have heard nightmarish stories about parts being replaced by fake ones during service. Especially the famous Skoda story on this forum. But no such incidences thankfully. The ordeal was over in 5 hours. Got my car back on the same day.

13. Other points: I replaced the stock tyres and alloys. Out went JK Vectra 205/60R16. In came Bridgestone 225/45/R17. It was a good decision. The ride quality is much better now. The suspension seems more refined, especially for rear passengers. 16Ē alloys were replaced with 17Ē BM racing alloys. Model 7527. I hope itís looking good. I personally loved it. Total cost after exchange was about 40K. Have also added the door garnish. Looks cool at night. Cost 6K (bought from dealer). Looked around for a nice ICE with 7Ē touch-screen but apparently you need to cut and strip the wires to interface with the existing system. That voids the warranty. So I am still looking for a socket which will help me fit the ICE without voiding the warranty. I know that Caska and Mega Audio are options but if I get this elusive socket, I can probably fit in the Sony, JVC as well.

Overall itís been a good experience for the first 500KM. Traffic does give me nightmares with the hard clutch and turbo lag but that probably accounts for a 5% negative experience in an otherwise brilliantly crafted car. Lets Cruze !!
Attached Thumbnails
My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-1.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-3.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-4.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-5.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-7.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-8.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-9.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-10.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-6.jpg  

My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-13.jpg  

anxx is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 18:25   #2
BHPian

Default Re: My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast

Congratulations Anxx! Lovely color and the alloys look really good too.
Apart from the quality of buttons and knobs, how would you compare the build quality of the Laura and the Cruze? I suggest you get fog lamps soon. They're useful and look great!

Also, didn't you consider the New Jetta?

Last edited by DeKay : 26th November 2011 at 18:26.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 19:34   #3
BHPian

I hate cruze OE wheels and to my surprise on scrolling down your thread i saw aftermarket 17 inchers.Cruze begs for 17".Doesn't it.great looking car there.I love it.
vigneshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 19:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa! Congratulations on the Cruze dude.

The alloys are smoking hot, great choice.

Is this the all-black version?

Have a great ownership period!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 19:40   #5
BHPian

Let me congratulate you on your purchase! A great choice of car and color. The Alloys look sweet, Planning to custom paint the calipers?! How come you went ahead with this car considering that a facelift is on its way, that too with an all new engine? Also could you provide a break up of the Tyre, Alloy upgrade and did the dealer offer any discounts, if yes how much? Wish you many more miles on this rocket.

Last edited by Y@SH : 26th November 2011 at 19:42.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 19:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

WOW! The aftermarket rims look so much better than the OE rims. Even this color looks great on Cruze. Congratulations for the Diesel Rocket!! Have fun and keep updating this ownership thread.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th November 2011 at 20:16. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 20:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshram View Post
I hate cruze OE wheels and to my surprise on scrolling down your thread i saw aftermarket 17 inchers.Cruze begs for 17".Doesn't it.great looking car there.I love it.
Thanks Bro. Yea i heard that in some countries it comes with standard 17 inchers. Infact the dealer himself offered to upgrade. But he didnt have a good collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Whoa! Congratulations on the Cruze dude.

The alloys are smoking hot, great choice.

Is this the all-black version?

Have a great ownership period!
Thanks for the alloys, yea its the all black version which i think is standard in all variants now. The seats aint leather though. But yea, at nights, when u can only see the blue lights of the door garnish, along with the dash and panel lights, its crazy hot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Let me congratulate you on your purchase! A great choice of car and color. The Alloys look sweet, Planning to custom paint the calipers?! How come you went ahead with this car considering that a facelift is on its way, that too with an all new engine? Also could you provide a break up of the Tyre, Alloy upgrade and did the dealer offer any discounts, if yes how much? Wish you many more miles on this rocket.
Thanks. Yea i heard about the facelift and the 180 BHP engine, but I was kind of getting impatient with the wait. I felt there's would always be something new coming up so why wait.

This is how the cost breakup was:-
  • My old tyres + alloys got exchanged for new alloys ONLY.
  • The new tyres cost 40K (10K each)
Some things that I learnt along the way:-
  • You need not change all 5 tyres when you upgrading the size from 16" to 17". Infact the seller assured me that in the case of a puncture, you can actually drive from Mumbai to Pune on a combo of 17" tyres and 16" tyres
  • Stock alloys of cruze do not have much market value since they only fit into the innovas (other that the cruze ofcourse). I think this is because of the odd PCD of 114.3
  • It is extremely difficult to get good variety in 17" alloys for cruze again due to the odd pcd
  • It is best to strike a deal with ONE seller who can exchange your tyres AND alloys. The overall deal works out sweeter.
  • To get the best exchange rate, try not to drive you car too much till you do the deal. The seller will look at how many KMs you have done and decide the exchange rate for your old tyres accordingly. I literally did not drive my car for the first two weeks till I found some good looking alloys and struck the deal.
anxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 23:06   #8
BHPian

Congratulations anxx.
Cruze is am awesome car and it seriously leaves the civic and the altis for dead.
The civic although a great car does not make sense in today's world where filling it up every-time makes one bang their heads..
The altis although a great all rounder appeals to the more elderly audience ..

And BOY are those alloys HOT!! Infact they are one of the best aftermarket alloys i have ever seen on a cruze..great choice

Enjoy and drive safe .

Cheers
Enigmatic.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 23:40   #9
BHPian

congratulations dude. i was just wondering that is your car the one with all black interiors as advertised? the seats and dash looks grey and not black.
shivmarwaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 23:53   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car!!! I love the 17Ē BM racing alloys. Makes the car look even more sporty. Please add more photos when you can.
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 12:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Did the dealer offer any discounts, if yes how much? Wish you many more miles on this rocket.
Yea the dealer offered an overall discount of 20K which included a corporate discount of 10K.
Freebies: Floor Mats, Car Cover, Boot Mat, Teflon Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
congratulations dude. i was just wondering that is your car the one with all black interiors as advertised? the seats and dash looks grey and not black.
Yea true, when you compare it with the pic on their website, that one does some a whole lot 'blacker' but in reality its not deep black. Looks much darker in the evenings and nights. Day time its definitely dark grey.
Old 27th November 2011, 13:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your personal rocket! Those alloys gel extremely well with the sand drift grey colour. The only grudge I have with this car is the slight lack of space on the back seat. Hope they address it with the new model.
Wishing you many happy miles with your beauty.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 15:49   #13
BHPian

AMAZING alloys!! The combination of your car color and alloys looks too good. As compared to all the other competitors that you selected, this one takes the cake
naman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 15:58   #14
BHPian

Anxx, the car looks great. Congrats and best wishes for lots of cruz-ing !
plimsollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 17:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Congratulations Anxx! Lovely color and the alloys look really good too.
Apart from the quality of buttons and knobs, how would you compare the build quality of the Laura and the Cruze? I suggest you get fog lamps soon. They're useful and look great!

Also, didn't you consider the New Jetta?
Thanks DeKay.
Build Quality is as good as the Laura. Feels solid and safe. Yup Fog Lamps coming soon.
The new Jetta, by the looks of it, comes across as very executive and 'formal'. Cruze suited the casual but aggressive stance that I was more eager for.