Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 10:26   #76
BHPian
 
vkaul1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 237
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 1 year and 1st Service done

Well I guess no news is good news. Nothing much to report as the Black Pearl is inching close to 17K mark. All things holding good & steady (touch wood).

The only "blink" that happened was that one of the Deal Extreme sourced DRLs that were installed conked off. The MID was giving the "chek front right DRL" message on & off for a few days & finally the DRL gave up completely a couple of days back.

Need to take some time out on a weekend (life seems to be keeping the weekends flying away currently) to replace the LED. Till that time the DRLs are in "Switched Off" mode
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 10:49   #77
BHPian
 
vkaul1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 237
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 1 year and 1st Service done

Well have been more on planes than on the terra firma. Past few months have just been crazy. As a result not much driving around has happened.

Almost at the 20K mark & all is well.... well almost...

There are a couple of ugly scratches on the right side - both front & rear door... The best or the worst part that they were acquired while the car was parked & no clue as to which idiot did it

As per the fuel log app over the past 8200 Kms - almost 90% of the same in city & almost 100% on A/C -

The Av Fuel efficiency has been 12.95 Km/ltr
Best (over a full tank) being - 19.98 Km/ltr - on the way to Goa
Worst (over a full tank) being - 9.54 Km/ltr - loads of idling & stuck in mad Pune traffic

Plans -
1. The Goodyears are still doing OK but will look for a change maybe in the next 5K Kms. Right now the front runner is Yokos - V550
2. Need to get the interiors detailed - had a few kids in the back seat on a recent trip to Mabi & it has not been very kind to the beige seats..

Hoping to do a road trip later this year. Will keep you guys posted.
vkaul1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 11:34   #78
BHPian
 
vkaul1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 237
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 20K mark crossed !!

All Izzzz Well....

As another milestone gets crossed
Attached Thumbnails
Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-imag0517.jpg  

vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 12:02   #79
BHPian
 
arjun_crsce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sonipat/Gurgaon
Posts: 43
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Black Pearl - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT - 1st year service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post

Got done by 4 pm with a bill of approx 9850. And I can tell you that the drive is clearly smoother post the service.
IMO a hell of an expensive service this is. With my fiesta i haven't paid more than 3100-3600 for each of my service. My last service with brake pad change, transmission oil 1 litre top up (oil seal failure), wiper blade change & regular service was just 6100. I just can't buy a VW tomorrow out of my list now.
arjun_crsce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 12:14   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 46
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_crsce View Post

IMO a hell of an expensive service this is. With my fiesta i haven't paid more than 3100-3600 for each of my service. My last service with brake pad change, transmission oil 1 litre top up (oil seal failure), wiper blade change & regular service was just 6100. I just can't buy a VW tomorrow out of my list now.
You are forgetting that vw service is once every 15000 kms or 1 year. Plus fiesta is a segment lower than the Jetta.
'AL' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 12:15   #81
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 766
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: Black Pearl - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT - 1st year service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_crsce View Post
IMO a hell of an expensive service this is. With my fiesta i haven't paid more than 3100-3600 for each of my service. My last service with brake pad change, transmission oil 1 litre top up (oil seal failure), wiper blade change & regular service was just 6100. I just can't buy a VW tomorrow out of my list now.
Fiesta is a C segment where as Jetta is a D segment car. You cannot compare them both. Also, fiesta uses mineral oil where as Jetta uses synthetic which is expensive. I think 10K paid service is pretty good for the jetta. Also, as far as I know fiesta needs to be serviced every 6 months and the Jetta once a year.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 12:55   #82
BHPian
 
arjun_crsce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sonipat/Gurgaon
Posts: 43
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Black Pearl - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT - 1st year service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Fiesta is a C segment where as Jetta is a D segment car. You cannot compare them both. Also, fiesta uses mineral oil where as Jetta uses synthetic which is expensive. I think 10K paid service is pretty good for the jetta. Also, as far as I know fiesta needs to be serviced every 6 months and the Jetta once a year.

1. Well C or D segment doesn't make a differnence its the engine size & its oil requirement that dicatates a big portion of your bill
2. Fiesta uses a semi synthetic oil which is priced less than one third than what jetta uses. (3.75 litres) jetta should not be more than 4.5l
3. Fiesta service is not counted on a half year basis its 10K service interval well for jetta is 15k.
4. I live next door to maruti R&D manager who states it is just rip off using the synthetic when it can last for 25k kms and your filter can't be used more than 15k kms.

So basically buying a german or even jap (maruti) or any other car manufacturer which also recommends full sythentic is classic rip off.
arjun_crsce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 13:34   #83
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 766
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: Black Pearl - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT - 1st year service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_crsce View Post
1. Well C or D segment doesn't make a differnence its the engine size & its oil requirement that dicatates a big portion of your bill
2. Fiesta uses a semi synthetic oil which is priced less than one third than what jetta uses. (3.75 litres) jetta should not be more than 4.5l
3. Fiesta service is not counted on a half year basis its 10K service interval well for jetta is 15k.
4. I live next door to maruti R&D manager who states it is just rip off using the synthetic when it can last for 25k kms and your filter can't be used more than 15k kms.

So basically buying a german or even jap (maruti) or any other car manufacturer which also recommends full sythentic is classic rip off.
As far as I know, its 6 months or 10K kms whichever comes earlier, for the fiesta 1.4TDCi. For the Jetta its 15K or 1 year whichever comes earlier. And not to forget, Jetta is not manufactured locally hence costs more (air filter, fuel filter etc). BTW, I also own a fiesta 1.4 TDCi and an i20 crdi. My i20 costs nearly as much as the Jetta on per year service.

Last edited by shivasuma : 17th June 2013 at 13:38.
shivasuma is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 14:03   #84
BHPian
 
vkaul1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 237
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Black Pearl - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT - 1st year service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_crsce View Post
1. Well C or D segment doesn't make a differnence its the engine size & its oil requirement that dicatates a big portion of your bill
2. Fiesta uses a semi synthetic oil which is priced less than one third than what jetta uses. (3.75 litres) jetta should not be more than 4.5l
3. Fiesta service is not counted on a half year basis its 10K service interval well for jetta is 15k.
4. I live next door to maruti R&D manager who states it is just rip off using the synthetic when it can last for 25k kms and your filter can't be used more than 15k kms.

So basically buying a german or even jap (maruti) or any other car manufacturer which also recommends full sythentic is classic rip off.
If you have read through my thread, I too graduated from a Ford Ikon. My billing for the Ford was in the range was 3500 - 4000 mark but then it was twice in a year - when done from authorized service centers. You are bang on about the addl cost of synthetic oil vis-a-vis semi synth / mineral oil (Almost 4K out of the total service bill was only for oil - 5 Ltrs). While longevity is one aspect, the whole engine protection & performance is entirely a different point.

There is enough debate on the engine oil thread on whether we need to use a synthetic oil or a mineral oil suffices in most of the driving conditions so I will not get into that debate. Having said that - beyond the warranty period (during which I was forced to used whatever Ford had recommended) I used to go for shell synthetic even for my Ford.

You are absolutely correct about the point that people need to take into account the total cost of ownership & not just the EMIs when they make a decision to buy a vehicle and generally the Japs are easier on the wallet as compared to Germans. But the driving pleasure of say a Vento/Rapid vis-a-vis City/Verna is entirely different. And we all know which sell more. For me a few rupees more spent to keep the car running optimally is money well spent
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 13:46   #85
Newbie
 
Aniket_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 18
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 1 year and 1st Service done

@vkaul1 : Hi, i am from pune too. Read about your mods. I want to change the headlights of my Jetta. Had posted about the same in the mods thread. Have quoted for your reference :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket_N View Post
Guys, I own a VW Jetta Highline AT. I took the delivery on 2nd January this year. The model year is 2013. I am not satisfied with the headlights' brightness due to poor visibilty on the highways. I was hoping to get the bulbs replaced with HID bulbs. But then i thought of going for an entire assembly replacement. I am aware it might void the warranty but wouldn't mind it if its worth the visual appeal. But now arises the main problem of sourcing such headlights.

I wanted to ask if such headlights are available here in India, especially Pune? I know its a long shot. But buying and getting them fitted from the same place would ensure its proper functioning.

I did some online research and found these scattered all over the internet.

Attachment 1108900


Attachment 1108901


Attachment 1108902


Attachment 1108903

These are all for the A6 (6th gen) Jetta. Can we source and get these (or similar) fitted over here?



Cheers.
Can you help me with this query? If at all the entire unit isnt available anywhere in Pune i would just go for the HID bulbs with projectors. Your inputs on that would be helpful. Any shop you recommend?


Cheers.
Aniket_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 12:13   #86
BHPian
 
vkaul1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 237
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 1 year and 1st Service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket_N View Post
@vkaul1 : Hi, i am from pune too. Read about your mods. I want to change the headlights of my Jetta. Had posted about the same in the mods thread. Have quoted for your reference :



Can you help me with this query? If at all the entire unit isnt available anywhere in Pune i would just go for the HID bulbs with projectors. Your inputs on that would be helpful. Any shop you recommend?


Cheers.
Hi Aniket sorry had missed this. I think this did get addressed in the Ayedongiveadam thread. I too have been trawling the net for headlamps upgrade to projectors & the vagtune (Kochi) seems to be promising (the only thing to bear in mind when you talk to them is that I noticed the rating as 6300K - this to me sounds very high - while it will look cool but will leave very less usable light - you should look at something in 4300 K range). If you would have scrolled earlier in his thread you would have seen us talking about the headlamps for the hybrid version which look great, but will need to be shipped in using ebay & then look for someone reliable to put it in.

Personally I will wait for the warranty to run out before putting the projectors in. For now thinking of putting Philips Crystal Visions instead of the current bulbs - however have not been able to locate a reliable source for the same. The specifications are -

Crystal Vision
H7 55 W
12972CV
For fogs it will be H11

Do let me know whatever you decide to go with - if the latter, we can sync up & get it done together
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 17:43   #87
Newbie
 
Aniket_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 18
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 1 year and 1st Service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
For now thinking of putting Philips Crystal Visions instead of the current bulbs - however have not been able to locate a reliable source for the same. The specifications are -

Crystal Vision
H7 55 W
12972CV
For fogs it will be H11

Do let me know whatever you decide to go with - if the latter, we can sync up & get it done together
I have already dropped the plan of projectors till the warranty expires. I too want to change the bulbs. One VW dealership offered to change the bulbs to 80W which the owner himself has installed for his jetta and has assured the performance. But he said that even changing the bulbs will void warranty.


Cheers.
Aniket_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 18:46   #88
BHPian
 
vkaul1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 237
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 1 year and 1st Service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket_N View Post
I have already dropped the plan of projectors till the warranty expires. I too want to change the bulbs. One VW dealership offered to change the bulbs to 80W which the owner himself has installed for his jetta and has assured the performance. But he said that even changing the bulbs will void warranty.


Cheers.
Yes. Moving to higher wattage will void the warranty even if you go with relays & no wire cutting. The bulbs that I have mentioned are the same wattage as stock but offer a better illumination as well as appearance.

Do let me know if you plan to get these, will be happy to sync up. Else if I am able to find a reliable source, will let you know.
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 15:36   #89
Newbie
 
Aniket_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 18
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 1 year and 1st Service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Yes. Moving to higher wattage will void the warranty even if you go with relays & no wire cutting. The bulbs that I have mentioned are the same wattage as stock but offer a better illumination as well as appearance.

Do let me know if you plan to get these, will be happy to sync up. Else if I am able to find a reliable source, will let you know.
Have you confirmed that it will not void the warranty?
If you have, i would be happy to get these lights.

Btw are these white lights? Would they be ok with normal halogen reflectors?


Cheers.
Aniket_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 18:14   #90
Newbie
 
Aniket_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 18
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Jet Set Go !! - Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT *UPDATE* 1 year and 1st Service done

Hey I read about these lights and seems that Philips crystal vision is not good for rains at all. People on team-bhp have complained about the absolute loss of visibilty during rains.

Have you checked philips extreme vision?

And what about osram?how do they compare with philips?


Cheers.
Aniket_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT Aurum Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 62 8th November 2016 18:39
VW Jetta - 2 Years & 2nd Service Completed! VW2010 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 98 5th December 2015 00:57
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed KarthikK Long-Term Ownership Reviews 220 8th April 2015 00:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks