Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th November 2011, 14:06   #1
BHPian

Default Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up

It was the Jan of 2011 and one of my new year resolutions was to look at replacing my Ford Ikon. Hence started the process of looking at various options.

I kept getting gentle jibes from missus about the amount of money I "waste" on auto magazines as well as the kind of time I spend on online auto forums it should have been already decided as to what I was going to buy. My response to her was that if money was not an issue & I had to buy 5 cars, I knew what those would be. As it is only 1, hence the confusion. And IMHO the more you know, the more confused you get. The points that I nailed down were -

1. D segment
2. Diesel
3. AT
4. Budget of approx 18 lacs

The top of my list & what got called for the first TD was Skoda Superb. While it broke the bank from a point 4 perspective, but if there is one word to describe it - "Superb" it is. As the diesel @ approx 26.5 lacs OTR in Pune was way above so looked at the petrol variant. However in the end the lack of practicality of the need for a high octane petrol + low fuel efficiency + reliability issues (read on the forum) of the 7 speed DSG it became a head over heart decision & I sadly bid adieu to the Superb.

The other contenders - actually other serious contenders (I looked at multiple ones including SUVs - T-Fort, Endeavour, Captiva - and in the end decided that an SUV did not make sense for me)

1. Skoda Laura
2. Chevy Cruze
3. Toyota Altis

Civic was not considered as it was only available in petrol variant & Jetta was not even on the radar at that time.

After TD of Altis I was sure that it can wait for when I am close to retirement (remember I was looking at diesel version). Also I felt that the built was flimsy when compared to the heft of the others. Heck even now my Ford doors closed with a solid "Thunk" as compared to what I experienced on the Altis.

Chevy Cruze was the front runner. I was looking at the top line LTZ AT variant. The amount of kit being offered at the price was really amazing. In fact this was the only one in the segment offering a sun/moon roof (this was one of the requirements that missus had put across).

I looked at the Elegance variant for Laura. It was after this TD that I realized the difference in the quality of Chevy vs Skoda. Be it the engine grunt from low RPMs or the brilliant DSG gearbox or the classy interiors.

Anyways as I was unable to make up my mind it was decided to upgrade the lady's car as her Alto too was due for replacement. While I tried giving my "informed" suggestions but I guess deciding a car is entirely a different thought process where ladies are concerned. After a few options were looked at, we froze on Hyundai i20 Asta ABS. The person happiest with this choice (besides wifey) was my dad - being a BIG Hyundai fan. I had steered him away from Zen to Santro in 2000 & since then he has been sold on to them. When he upgraded in 2007 - Verna it was. I don't think he even looked at other options seriously.

Last edited by vkaul1 : 30th November 2011 at 15:22.
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 15:51   #2
BHPian

Default re: Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up

This buy cooled things off for sometime but come August I was again in the hunt to freeze on my ride.

After the Laura TD the Cruze had been nudged to second place. Meanwhile the rounds of new Jetta finally getting launched in India had started doing the rounds. As a part of final review I went for a long TD in the Cruze & on the way back sat behind a not too tall SE. While leg room was one aspect - it is not a significant more than my current Ford it was the whole seating position & comfort that was not comparable to Laura. As I take a few road trips a year along with family this became the deal breaker for me.

I was pretty sure of my decision when I got a call from the VW SE @ Vidyut Motors (I had been talking to them for sometime & had told him to keep me informed of the launch) that the car was available for display.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:32   #3
BHPian

Default re: Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up

I had heard that the new Jetta was v similar to the Vento. But once I laid my eyes on it the design grew on me. It looked less & less like Vento every time I saw it. Looking at the features & cost - Comfortline looked the best value.

The thread from Rudra sir came at the right time & I followed it completely & did help me a lot towards making my decision. There was a final decision to be taken between Laura & Jetta. We did a TD for both on the same day. Most of the family was in favour of Laura. But I guess somewhere deep down my heart was set on the Jetta. So I convinced & kind of vetoed the Laura & the decision was made to go for Jetta.

The compromise on the way was that it will be an AT that we will buy hence the stretch was made to go all the way till Highline AT variant.

The booking amount was paid to Vidyut Motors in early September with the delivery date fixed as 6th Oct. It all went downhill from there in terms of responsiveness from their end so much so that I had to escalate & go all the way to the Sales Head. The final response that I got from them was that there was a delay & now the delivery will happen only in Feb 2012. That was the last straw & I cancelled my booking with them & moved it to B U Bhandari. The experience there was poles apart be it in terms of responsiveness or knowledge. The booking was completed (somewhere in last week of Sept) & still the delivery date was maintained for 6th Oct. I told them that I want to do the PDI of the vehicle in the yard (as per the forum cheklist) & the same was duly completed on 1st Oct. The VIN was noted & decoded - It said Month - Sep; Year - 2012 !!

The delivery was taken on 6th late morning. The vehicle was prepared & the documents kept ready & the whole process was fairly smooth. Got the addl warranty (as recommended in the official review thread) for 4 yrs 100,000 Kms. IIRC it was approx INR 11600. While this was a new car so I was not expecting much in terms of discounts, on offer was INR 38000 corporate discount from the dealer. Got a fuel coupon for 20 Ltrs of diesel. The car was fairly bouncy over bumps so got the tire pressure cheked & as expected it was the culprit - they were inflated to 60 psi each !! After getting it down to 34 the ride became really smooth.

Last edited by vkaul1 : 2nd December 2011 at 11:41.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:50   #4
BHPian

Accessories

The pit stop was made at Poona Motors & the only additions were -

1. Sun Films - Went for Llumar PP 60 for windows & rear screen. Also opted for Llumar Air 80 for the
windscreen
2. Mat - Went with the 3D mats. Though they were from the older gen Jetta / Laura but the coverage
was acceptable
3. Gel based car fragrance - This is unobtrusive but keeps the interiors fresh whenever you get back.

I have currently done approx 1400 Kms (have been travelling quite a bit since I took delivery & consequently not a lot of opportunities to have out of town weekend drives) & here are my first impressions.

Good Bits

1. Build Quality - The doors shut with a satisfying thunk. The panel gaps are consistent & overall the
quality of materials used is excellent. The cabin is very quiet & when you roll the windows down /
open the door you realize how good the insulation really is.
2. Ride Quality - A little stiff on low speeds but once you build up momentum, it flattens out road
undulations. On the way back from Mumbai on my recent trip I saw cars ahead of me bouncing on
the road undulations but I never even felt the same as I went over.
3. Rear Leg room & seat comfort - One word - excellent
4. Powerful engine - The engine just keeps pulling right from low down the RPM range. You just
increase the pressure on A pedal & the speedo keeps climibing. Used the kick down mode a couple
of times. To be honest the surge is addictive. I found myself just doing the kick downs for fun.
5. Safety features - Everything conceivable has been put in. 8 airbags, ABS, ESP, ASR & the list
continues.
6. Optical Parkatronic - It is really a boon in tight parking spaces.
7. A/c is an absolute chiller - I believe the sun films do help.
8. 6 speed DSG. It is simply brilliant and almost a mind reader. Always is in the right gear whatever
be the driving situation.
9. Fuel Efficiency - Is amazingly good. In city I get somewhere between 11.5 - 14 Kmpl (depending on the traffic). What it does on highway is entirely another thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Took a 400 Kms drive to Mumbai & back on Saturday. What an awesome experience.

The car was rock steady at 125 Kph & there were times where I was doing 150 before I realized it & reduced speed

But for most part drove with a well behaved "Light foot" rather than a "Lead foot" keeping a steady 105 - 110 Kph on the express highway & here is what I get from my lady..

Attachment 849342

Misses

1. Sun/moon roof - I have heard that it is not very useful but a good thing that I would have expected
as an option atleast on the top variant
2. ACC - While I have ACCs on my other cars but I have never found the AUTO button to my liking.
What I would have liked was to have a temperature read out.
3. AT only in the Highline variant
4. Xenon head lamps & LED DRLs

Last edited by vkaul1 : 2nd December 2011 at 17:42.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:36   #5
BHPian

Exterior

I like the classy understated elegance. In flesh the car does not resemble Vento at all. IMO The rear 3 quarters is the best view. It really looks elegant in the pearl black

Interior

Subtle and elegant is what I feel. The quality is top notch. The steering wheel controls have a v good tactile feel to them. The illumination is spot on - be it the individual lights (even at the rear) or the LEDs which give ambient lighting or the illuminated dials & switches. The red actually looks v good at night and not garish at all.

Space & Comfort

Excellent rear bench and amazing front seats is what about sums it up. The 12 way adjustable driver's seat makes getting a comfy position very easy. However the manual lumbar support on front passenger seat is a little awkward.

Ride & Handling

The ride quality is stable & planted. Be it broken roads or high speed stability. Jetta is absolutely composed at all times.

Steering & Brakes

The steering is spot on. While it does not bristle with feel but I found it to be direct & keeps you connected with what the car is doing. It is fairly light at parking / city speeds & weighs up nicely at higher speeds. The brakes are fantastic & there will be a learning curve for the uninitiated. I had gone with a friend of mine for TD & he kept pushing the brake pedal harder than required which made the car stop abruptly and with a jerk.

On the pictures front, I don't think there is anything more to add to what has been shared by Rudra sir as well some of the other folks on the forum. I am planning a couple of trips towards the end of the year & will look to share some pics of the same.

That's all for now. Will keep sharing as I progress on my journey with the the Jetta..

Last edited by vkaul1 : 3rd December 2011 at 11:34.
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car vkaul1. A Pearl black Jetta must look fantastic on the roads. Can't wait for pics.

If they had DSG option on the comfortline it would have been a fantastic proposition.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation's on one of the most sought after brands in the country today. Jetts sure looks wonderful especially the new one.

How about some pictures, of this wonderfully looking car?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 13:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car, and a great review!

Unfortunately, for the price it commands, the 4 misses which you have highlighted (some of which are a must in my next new car due to their convenience) are a big deal breaker when one spends so much money!

Hope to see some pics up soon. The new Jetta looks absolutely fab, and will definitely age well!
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 13:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats vkaul on the Jetta! We were in the VW showroon a few days back and were mighty impressed with the Jetta in terms of build quality and space at the rear when compared to our Octy.

Though it misses out on a few very important features at its price point, if you're willing to overlook their absence its a very good car. Wish you many safe miles in your Jetta!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 14:08   #10
BHPian

congratulations on the car!

VW Jetta is one heck of a car; I drove one for two months (it was a straight five cylinder model) and just fell in love with the dynamics of this car. Wish you many Happy miles (or kilometers). Please share pictures.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 15:54   #11
BHPian

Congratulations.

I test drove jetta about 2 weeks back when i test drove vento which i am planning to buy. Now this is one car that is make me itch to forget vento and go all the way to buy the highline AT.

Coming from civic, i totally agree the fun that comes with paddle shifts and the kick down mode. Do post the pictures of your car.
ramneek009 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 18:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations!!!

The black Jetta should be super cool to look at. I second what @lamborghini mentioned in the post above. The Jetta will definitely age well, and the car looks much better in flesh.

Even though the official review had excellent set of photos, an ownership review should have its own share of pictures. The black number should be a head-turner, especially with those awesome alloys specific for the highline trim.

Drive safe!
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 16:42   #13
BHPian

Hey Vkaul! Congratulations on getting the Jetta! It is definitely a brilliant car, no doubt. As per pictures are concerned, please post some ASAP! We would love to see a black Highline

How would you compare the build quality and ride quality of the Laura and the Jetta?
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 19:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Congrats on the car vkaul1. A Pearl black Jetta must look fantastic on the roads. Can't wait for pics.

If they had DSG option on the comfortline it would have been a fantastic proposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Congrats on the car, and a great review!

Unfortunately, for the price it commands, the 4 misses which you have highlighted (some of which are a must in my next new car due to their convenience) are a big deal breaker when one spends so much money!

Hope to see some pics up soon. The new Jetta looks absolutely fab, and will definitely age well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Congrats vkaul on the Jetta! We were in the VW showroon a few days back and were mighty impressed with the Jetta in terms of build quality and space at the rear when compared to our Octy.

Though it misses out on a few very important features at its price point, if you're willing to overlook their absence its a very good car. Wish you many safe miles in your Jetta!

Thanks all. I agree there have been omissions & if VW are listening to the customer feedback am sure these will be addressed in the refreshed version. How soon is a million dollar question. I had waited for quite sometime & while the omissions had initially tilted the scales in favour of Laura however after the TDs & serious thought about what it meant I made a choice in favor of the Jetta.

1. Sun / Moon roof - Only Cruz was providing it & the whole interiors, space & comfort combo ruled it out for me. So on this front Skoda & VW were even.
2. ACC - As I had mentioned I have never really liked the AUTO button on my other cars the only pinching piece was the lack of temperature read out - One up for Skoda here.
3. AT - While Skoda was offering AT in Elegence trim (heck it is available even in Ambiente trim) but one they were not offering the paddle shifters (having a sporty auto without these IMHO takes away from the joy of driving) and the tiptronic mode using the stick felt more like a video game than a proper gearshift. Also making the stretch to Highline also gave additional airbags, electrically adjustable driver seat (this was a big plus) and the touch screen audio with front as well as rear sensors - +1 to VW.
4. Xenons - It is not there in Skoda as a standard fitment but the dealer was giving the upgrade as an option for INR 18K. But during the TD & now on the expressway drive I realized that the VW headlights were more than adequate (maybe I had my heart set on the VW so am OK to overlook the difference)

Having spent the time with the car I feel none of the misses takes anything away (err... maybe except the xenons) from the driving pleasure besides being a hell of a frugal companion for those long drives.
Old 4th December 2011, 19:09   #15
BHPian

Post re: Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up

What an upgrade! Many congratulations on your Jetta. Please post pics asap. The only thing common between your new Jetta and erstwhile Ford ikon is the lack of Automatic Climate control...
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote