Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th December 2011, 12:50   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP

I'd given a thought to it during the TDs. For the time-being let me drive around since the noise is not that great a concern for me. It's all in the mind
Mohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 14:01   #17
BHPian

Congratulations for a great but. Excellent no non-sense car. None of the others come close in terms of space (be it the seating or boot - I have not come across a car offering in India offering a bigger boot) or a nil turbo lag diesel mill.

I believe you will need to be gentle with the car on steep breakers & pot holes as the suspension is quite soft. We have managed to hit my friend's car multiple times with 4 people & some luggage unless you really SLOW down.

But overall I would say "Thumbs Up" & Happy motoring.
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 21:25   #18
BHPian

@Mohanan, I am KMohanan.
Congrats on your new buy. A good choice. Can you elaborate more on the other choices you had and the attributes finally lead you to this choice. Also, the reactions from your
other members from the family.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 22:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanan View Post
Interiors:
The dashboard is something strikingly terrible of the vehicle. I feel even a 1950’s speedometer dial would have looked better! There is just a single trip meter. The only way that we can mask this terrible mistake is having a 2 DIN Music system lighting up the bland space. I’ve added a PIONEER AVH-2300DVD system which makes the dash look a bit more worthy of glances if not stares!
Congrats Mohan on your new Aquisition. Which dealer did you buy your car from and how much did you music system cost?

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th December 2011 at 02:25. Reason: Fixed quotes
#win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 23:34   #20
BHPian

I brought the vehicle from Nandi Toyota on Hosur Road.
The only accessories I purchased from the showroom were the Mud flaps and Carpets.

The accessories that I installed were from THE reliable KONARK (East End, Jayanagar).
PIONEER AVH 2300 DVD -Rs16500
2 Pioneer 400W Rear Speakers- Rs3500
Rear Camera- Rs1750
Ariel for the Radio- Rs250
Lumar Sunfilm- Rs2300

I've always done my accessories from Konark and have found them very reasonable and yes, they do a very neat job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
@Mohanan, I am KMohanan.
Congrats on your new buy. A good choice. Can you elaborate more on the other choices you had and the attributes finally lead you to this choice. Also, the reactions from your
other members from the family.
Thanks for your wishes

I TD the Fiesta Classic, Mahindra Verito, SX4, Vento along with the Etios.
Each and every car is unique in its own ways-

Why ETIOS:
1. Trusted Toyota quality.
2. Zero Turbo Lag diesel engine to beat bumper traffic.
2. Ample boot space. Its just a few ltrs lesser than the SKODA's.
3. Practical sedan, VFM and good FE.
4. Excellent rear seating with almost a flat centre bed.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th December 2011 at 00:57.
Old 10th December 2011, 16:43   #21
BHPian

About the single wiper on the etios, even the Mclaren MP4-12c features a similar looking unit, nothing to complain about on that part i guess
arun_m5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 21:22   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride Mohanan.

I did a test drive of the Liva D a couple of weeks back and was really impressed with the driveability of the engine. Coupled with the acres of space inside, its one heck of a no-nonsense run about.

However the interiors and the NVH was a deal breaker for me.
Ph03nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 13:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.e.a.m.b.h.p. View Post
About the single wiper on the etios, even the Mclaren MP4-12c features a similar looking unit, nothing to complain about on that part i guess
While I'm not arguing the effectiveness of Etios(I'm sure they're adequate), You cannot compare that of Mclaren MP4-12c, the dimensions, size etc are totally different.
the_joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 17:28   #24
BHPian

Well, within the first week of my new drive I had the chance to drive through heavy rains. No issues with the single wiper, cleaning is thorough due to the long sweep.
Old 14th December 2011, 09:15   #25
BHPian

Well, if you can ignore the engine noise inside the cabin, the Etios Diesel is a very good car and absolutely Value For Money.

I have driven my cousin's Etios Diesel and at the speed of 80-100 you get just a humming noise from the engine (i feel that addicting) and not the usual clatter.

And i have booked it, waiting to get the delivery next week.
drabhayshah76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 21:01   #26

Thanks for the review..Etios is really made for practical usage and no non scene. Wish you a nice ownership experience
jithesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 13:54   #27
BHPian

Having a strange issue with the Hella horns i installed. The horns were installed with a cut out. Have been noticing that after a few blows the horn changes sound and any further use of the horn blows of the fuse. Any help on what could be the problem and fix?
Old 14th August 2012, 15:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanan View Post
Having a strange issue with the Hella horns i installed. The horns were installed with a cut out. Have been noticing that after a few blows the horn changes sound and any further use of the horn blows of the fuse. Any help on what could be the problem and fix?
Hi Mohanan, I guess the culprit is the wiring. Get it checked. I guess you should get a higher capacity wiring.
Hope this helps
Varun Nair
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 16:10   #29
BHPian

@ Varun, thanks for that. I'd be happy if the problem is limited to the wiring and not the horn itself.
Old 26th September 2013, 19:07   #30
BHPian

30,000 kms Update!

In August 2013 I put together 30,000kms on the odo- span of nearly 2 years.

I renewed the Smiles at Rs 6700 for 30 & 40 K service. For the 30K kms service I had to pay extra for the Toyota Synthetic oil.

Apart from the regular dents and scratches offered by reckless folks on road I never had to shell out money for a second cause. Maintenance costs are quite low I must admit.

So far the Etios has been a great companion on the highways and in the cities. In my Bangalore- Kerala drives I have tested this vehicle well and it's always been a joy behind the wheels.

Mods:
Headlamps- Osram night breaker
Engine Oil- From mineral to Toyota Synthetic Oil
Engine Mounts- Rubber to Hydraulic mounts (of the 2013 model)- Felt that this really quietened down the engine

Disappointments
Road noise: Very much audible and sometimes to the tune of irritating, especially when you are having conversation with your co passengers. I felt the 14" makes more noise than the 15" (remember the TD vehicle which was VD version was much more silent)

Dashboard Noise: Rattling started when I was nearing 30K kms. Toyota finally managed to fix it after 3 attempts- Quite bad for a T reputation.

Door Lock: Doors jam and sometimes the lock doesn't fall in place. Door lock repaired and the defective parts were changed under warranty.

Service: Never been to another dealer apart from Nandi Toyota but I feel service reception and delivery is extremely slow. They have their own processes which are good but I feel it shouldn't be at the expense of the customers time. What irks me most is that they never say the entire amount. It is always the value minus the tax. Do they really think I have a way out without paying tax from my wallet