Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 02:03   #1
BHPian

Default Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP

After joining TEAM BHPI have been waiting patiently to write my first blog. What better could it get than writing the experience with a new car, The ETIOS arrives home!

Buying Experience:
One afternoon walking past the Toyota showroom I just thought of stepping in to try the ETIOS Diesel. Requested a TD and the sales folks were happy to offer one. What followed was an experience!
I had weighed the ETIOS against Swift Dzire, SX4, Fiesta Classic and I found what I needed exactly in the ETIOS. The car stood out as a no nonsense practical vehicle. I went ahead and booked the vehicle on the 7th of October without second thoughts. I got the vehicle delivered on 23rd November. The entire sales process was the best I ever experienced. Every time I stepped into the TOYOTA showroom I came out happier with the customer centric service I received. There was never a negative element from the sales folks. Kudos to TOYOTA for that!

ETIOS GD SP (Vermillion Red)
Iíve driven the vehicle around for around 300kms and here are my observations:

Design:
Plain vanilla design may not turn heads for sure. But remember we have one of best automotive makers playing in the sub 10 lac segment!

Engine:
Itís audible! But with the passage of time you are sure to get used to it. Having driven a TATA vehicle for 2 years the diesel clatter seemed to be nothing different for me.
The engine compartment is not cramped and you have ample space to work around the equipments.
Though a diesel vehicle it is extremely easy to drive it through the infamous Bangalore traffic.
Excellent low end torque with near zero turbo lag
You do not need to downshift frequently, the vehicle pulls well in the 2nd and 3rd gear.
Iíve not hit the highways yet so I hold back to write about this.

Interiors:
The dashboard is something strikingly terrible of the vehicle. I feel even a 1950ís speedometer dial would have looked better! There is just a single trip meter. The only way that we can mask this terrible mistake is having a 2 DIN Music system lighting up the bland space. Iíve added a PIONEER AVH-2300DVD system which makes the dash look a bit more worthy of glances if not stares!
The seats are well cushioned and extremely comfortable. However the stock fabric is extremely thin and you can feel the sponge.
There is enough space at the rear seat. 3 well built adults go in with ease. Not to forget the almost flat flooring at the back, something very hard to see in other cars.
AC is extremely effective and I didnít have a chance to run the blower above 1. Letís wait for the summers.
The steering feels very light and is tilt able. Somehow itís a bit time consuming to hit the sweet spot for driving position in the ETIOS.
The single wiper does a really good job. No doubts on that.
Ample space in and around for storing mobiles, bottles etc.

Boot:
At 595litres it sure takes care of a long vacation baggage.
The VD and VXD models donít come with the alloy option for the 5th wheel.

Suspension:
The best in any diesel vehicle Iíve driven so far. It is extremely soft and you feel afloat when cruising in the ETIOS.
However the flip side to this is that you would be kissing all the speed breakers with 3 adults and luggage loaded.

Electricals:
Stock lights are good for city driving but I feel on the highway you many need better lamps.
GDSP version doesnít come with FOG lamps. You could add it for Rs 4250/-
Single Cabin lamp, would have been good if there were reading lamps at the rear also.
GDSP version doesnít come with a rear de-fogger.

Overall:
Good value for money vehicle with Toyotaís quality assurance. If you are contended with low maintenance vehicle requiring fewer fuel pit stops this is the vehicle for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP-4.jpg  

Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP-5.jpg  

Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP-7.jpg  

Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP-8.jpg  

Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP-10.jpg  

Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP-9.jpg  

Mohanan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 1st December 2011, 10:54   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Initial Ownership experience-TOYOTA ETIOS DIESEL GD-SP

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the new car. Was behind an Etios and Live just today morning on the way to office and came in to read this.Its a practical car with the "T" badge..perfect combination.

Have you had a chance to calculate the mileage like so far? Look forward to more updates and pictures.
sraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mohanan

Pic no.5 which shows the top view of your car is the show stopper - what a pic

I'm sure you'll enjoy many miles of happy motoring in this very practical sedan.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:19   #4
BHPian

Congrats buddy and welcome to the Etios family. I wish you zillions of safe and fun filled miles ahead. Do share your initial highway experience ASAP.
mayank10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 12:21   #5
BHPian

Congrats Mohanan and welcome to the Etios family. I own an Etios (P) for 11k kms and would relate to your thought process in getting the Etios. Happy Mile crunching and please do update the thread with your experiences.
heman_369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 16:22   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP

Very honest, to-the-point review. Thanks for sharing! I'm a huge fan of the Etios petrol, thanks in no small part to its all-rounded and fun to drive nature. Sure, the cost cutting is glaringly obvious, but which sedan doesn't have flaws at the 6 lakh price point?

I haven't driven the diesel yet, though Vid6639 says that the engine has superb driveability & zero turbo-lag. All the better for the city, I guess.

What's the kind of fuel economy you are getting with your Etios D?

Congrats on the car and do drive safe.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Crisp and balanced review. Congrats on owning this eminently pracTical car!

And welcome to the team-bhp as also the Etios club!

Enjoy crunching safe and happy miles after miles on the car.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 17:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

It's good to see a positive review of the Etios, especially after all the flak it received from the automotive sector (including me) for being an unfinished product.

But I'll tell you what. I'm more than impressed with it, especially after driving it. It's actually a fun-to-drive car. I love that steering wheel, and the gear-box too, that shifts positively. The fact that it has loads of space and a big boot just gives it more brownie points. Now if I were one of the big-wigs at Toyota, i'd address a few issues with it, including the rubber-bearing issue that seems to have spiraled one thread completely out of control!

SO what you have is a no-nonsense, point-to-point vehicle that promises good fun and great reliability. I think it's perfect for India.

Congratulations on your latest acquisition, Sir.

Wishing you miles of happiness and safety!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 19:02   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for the wishes

@Sraye & GTO : I haven't yet looked at the mileage yet since it's not even reached half tank from the first filling. I shall update the figures shortly.

@ mayank10: I would be posting my highway experience after the holiday season this month.
Mohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 13:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great review!

Could you tell me about the fogs: Where is the switch to turn them on fitted?
We recently got the Liva D in the same color and variant as you, and the car is superb. Everyone who has sat in it has been impressed! The space being the main thing, and the turbo lag free engine!

One other thing you will be extremely happy with is the FE. We got 15.77kmpl on the first tankful of gas in the Liva, and this is during run-in period and my regular commute. While I didn't rip her much, our fiesta under the same conditions would have given me barely 14kmpl.

About the seats: Look at getting some seat covers put in. It will even enhance the interiors a little. Saw a blue Toyota Etios Liva review here some time back with some pretty nice seat covers that would suit a red Etios/Liva quite well IMO. Add some color to the interiors.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 14:47   #11
BHPian

The additionally fitted fogs get a switch next to the hazard light. Currently you would be having 2 dummy switches there.

For the V and VX models which has stock fogs its a small band on the light lever itself.
Old 4th December 2011, 19:12   #12
BHPian

@Mohaan: Congratulations for the purchase. Etios does look great in red. I too own Etios VD and you can find my review here(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ota-etios.html (Initial experience with my diesel Toyota Etios)). I would like you to comment on two items: 1) Vibration with rippling effect when going over bumpy patched roads 2) road noise. I did not see the RPM counter next to the speedometer in this etios D version. Is it located elsewhere or not present in GD-SP ?
automachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 11:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
I did not see the RPM counter next to the speedometer in this etios D version. Is it located elsewhere or not present in GD-SP ?
Automachine, the G version, in both pertol & diesel, does not come with a tacho at all. One of the low points of the car
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 17:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
@Mohaan: Congratulations for the purchase. Etios does look great in red. I too own Etios VD and you can find my review here(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ota-etios.html (Initial experience with my diesel Toyota Etios)). I would like you to comment on two items: 1) Vibration with rippling effect when going over bumpy patched roads 2) road noise. I did not see the RPM counter next to the speedometer in this etios D version. Is it located elsewhere or not present in GD-SP ?

What I've noticed is that in order to make the ride quality better Toyota has softened the shocks to a great extent. I think the design team forgot that this car was going to be sold in India.

Agree that the road noise is also audible with the speedometer climbing up.

Cost cutting logic states that a GD model doesn't need to driven by the tacho
Old 8th December 2011, 11:33   #15
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Initial Ownership experience - Toyota Etios Diesel GD-SP

Congrats on your new acquisition Mohanan.
A brilliant to the point review. I am a huge fan of simple devices and the Etios fits the slot perfectly.
No unnecessary features and no drama, it is a simple car to drive around and enjoy with high levels of realiablity.
IMHO adding some padding to the doors (noisekill, yoga-mats, wurth) would reduce the road noise to some extent, also enhance the acoustics.
rajanprash is offline   Reply With Quote