Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 21:56   #46
Newbie
 
abhi_k007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 23
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Thanks so much guys, driving verna is like living up a dream and no offences to any other car, but verna is clearly ahead of the competition and surely making the cash registers ringing for hyundai....!
abhi_k007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 10:40   #47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

All,

I bought my Fluidic Verna in August 2011 and ever since, the drive has been beautiful - I am not an actual speed racer and drive within the ecoomy i.e.~ at a speed of 80 Km / hour and since August 2011, I was clocking a good mileage of 23 Km/litre on highways (non AC); however, a week back, a pal of mine drove the car at great speeds increasing to 140 on the Kolar highway and the mileage dropped. The RPM reading was between 1 and 2. The mileage dropped to 15-16 Km per litre and is now hovering about 16 -17 Km per liter under Bangalore City conditions. Please let me know if there is any way of me increasing the mileage and is this normal of the mileage reducing when u drive the car at great speeds.
deucallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 15:08   #48
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,429 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucallion View Post
however, a week back, a pal of mine drove the car at great speeds increasing to 140 on the Kolar highway and the mileage dropped. The RPM reading was between 1 and 2. The mileage dropped to 15-16 Km per litre and is now hovering about 16 -17 Km per liter under Bangalore City conditions. Please let me know if there is any way of me increasing the mileage and is this normal of the mileage reducing when u drive the car at great speeds.
Getting 15-16 kmpl at 140 kmph is quite good. Am sure this drive would have involved a lot of acceleration, braking & gear changes?

And 16-17 kmpl in city conditions is quite within expectation if I am not wrong. Remember, driving within 90kmph gives you insane mileage, we cannot really expect the same in speeds above 100 kmph on highways or within city.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 15:16   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucallion View Post
All,

I bought my Fluidic Verna in August 2011 and ever since, the drive has been beautiful - I am not an actual speed racer and drive within the ecoomy i.e.~ at a speed of 80 Km / hour and since August 2011, I was clocking a good mileage of 23 Km/litre on highways (non AC); however, a week back, a pal of mine drove the car at great speeds increasing to 140 on the Kolar highway and the mileage dropped. The RPM reading was between 1 and 2. The mileage dropped to 15-16 Km per litre and is now hovering about 16 -17 Km per liter under Bangalore City conditions. Please let me know if there is any way of me increasing the mileage and is this normal of the mileage reducing when u drive the car at great speeds.
If I understand you correctly , you mean to say that after the speed dash your mileage is consistently low . Usually the ECU controlling the car adjusts itself according to the driving style so post that dash it has tuned the fuel flow for more torque/ power ( thus less FE ) . Once you drive the car for 3-4 days , the ECU should readjust itself according to your driving style ( normal process ) and you should get back your fantastic FE . Else you may also try disconnecting the battery terminals and leaving it like this overnight ( at least 2-3 hours ) - in the morning when you reconnect the battery, the ECU should have reset. ECU would then be "learning" your fuel efficient style .
cheers
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:47   #50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Getting 15-16 kmpl at 140 kmph is quite good. Am sure this drive would have involved a lot of acceleration, braking & gear changes?

And 16-17 kmpl in city conditions is quite within expectation if I am not wrong. Remember, driving within 90kmph gives you insane mileage, we cannot really expect the same in speeds above 100 kmph on highways or within city.
Hi swiftnfurious,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes - the speed drive involved more acceleration and gear shifts, but not much braking was involved as the stretch was nearly empty. Braking was occassional.

Also, my apologies as I missed out on certain specifications of my car:

Fuel type: Diesel
CC: 1600 SX
deucallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:09   #51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
If I understand you correctly , you mean to say that after the speed dash your mileage is consistently low . Usually the ECU controlling the car adjusts itself according to the driving style so post that dash it has tuned the fuel flow for more torque/ power ( thus less FE ) . Once you drive the car for 3-4 days , the ECU should readjust itself according to your driving style ( normal process ) and you should get back your fantastic FE . Else you may also try disconnecting the battery terminals and leaving it like this overnight ( at least 2-3 hours ) - in the morning when you reconnect the battery, the ECU should have reset. ECU would then be "learning" your fuel efficient style .
cheers
Hello souravc,

Thanks for the reply.

After the speed dash that occured (on last Sunday), I took the car out only yesterday in Bangalore city conditions and thats when I noticed that the average reading on the dashboard was hovering around 14-15 Km per litre when I was driving at a speed of 30 - 40 Km / per hour in 3rd and 4th gear.

Please confirm if the FE will change immediately depending upon my driving conditions or will it take a few days and then improve.

I am not very good with the mechanics of the car (referring to your instruction to disconnect battery terminals) - So, please provide me instructions on how I should be able to get back my car back to the good FE I was receiving prior to the speed dash.

Also, a relative stated that I need to fill the fuel tank to the brim and include 1 litre of engine oil which will get back my normal FE. He also informed me that I shouldn't have driven at a speed of 140 Km / Hr until my car completes 5000 Kms - at the time of the speed dash, I had clocked 3300 Kms - Please confirm if this is a valid suggestion and information.

Also, what does ECU stands for?
deucallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:03   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucallion View Post
Hello souravc,

Thanks for the reply.

After the speed dash that occured (on last Sunday), I took the car out only yesterday in Bangalore city conditions and thats when I noticed that the average reading on the dashboard was hovering around 14-15 Km per litre when I was driving at a speed of 30 - 40 Km / per hour in 3rd and 4th gear.

Please confirm if the FE will change immediately depending upon my driving conditions or will it take a few days and then improve.

I am not very good with the mechanics of the car (referring to your instruction to disconnect battery terminals) - So, please provide me instructions on how I should be able to get back my car back to the good FE I was receiving prior to the speed dash.

Also, a relative stated that I need to fill the fuel tank to the brim and include 1 litre of engine oil which will get back my normal FE. He also informed me that I shouldn't have driven at a speed of 140 Km / Hr until my car completes 5000 Kms - at the time of the speed dash, I had clocked 3300 Kms - Please confirm if this is a valid suggestion and information.

Also, what does ECU stands for?
To keep matters simple , just drive around for 3-4 days ( at least 100-125 km I think ) your car should adjust to your driving style and good FE. It takes time to adjust , does not happen immediately.

Did your relative ask you to add engine oil to the diesel in the tank ? Please do not do it ! Continue to fill diesel like the way you have done - this is not a machine where you have to add 2T or 4T .

Driving the Verna at 140 kmph would not cause any damage to the machine , the car can go upto much higher speeds . These days cars are also pre-run so 140 kmph after 3300 kms should be fine - one need not wait till 5000 km

ECU = Engine Control Unit ( its the brains of the engine, a computer simplistically - controls the various functions )
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:14   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,429 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucallion View Post
Please confirm if the FE will change immediately depending upon my driving conditions or will it take a few days and then improve.

Also, a relative stated that I need to fill the fuel tank to the brim and include 1 litre of engine oil which will get back my normal FE. He also informed me that I shouldn't have driven at a speed of 140 Km / Hr until my car completes 5000 Kms - at the time of the speed dash, I had clocked 3300 Kms - Please confirm if this is a valid suggestion and information.
As mentioned, the car's behaviour will change in 3-4 days. This happens especially when people with two different styles drive the same car. Nothing to worry. Just curious, how much was your pre-speed dash mileage in city ?

Please stay away from your friend who suggested adding engine oil etc. It's plain stupid. He might have thought about adding diesel additive, but you would not requre it. Just fill normal diesel and your car should be good.

Regarding the run-in period, only the first 1000 kms need to be taken care of unless otherwise specified. It's better to avoid driving above 80 kmph, hard accelerations and hard braking during the first 1000 kms, but there are views as well that run-in is not required for the modern diesel engines. At 3300 kms, there is NO issues in driving at 140 kmph.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:12   #54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
As mentioned, the car's behaviour will change in 3-4 days. This happens especially when people with two different styles drive the same car. Nothing to worry. Just curious, how much was your pre-speed dash mileage in city ?

Please stay away from your friend who suggested adding engine oil etc. It's plain stupid. He might have thought about adding diesel additive, but you would not requre it. Just fill normal diesel and your car should be good.

Regarding the run-in period, only the first 1000 kms need to be taken care of unless otherwise specified. It's better to avoid driving above 80 kmph, hard accelerations and hard braking during the first 1000 kms, but there are views as well that run-in is not required for the modern diesel engines. At 3300 kms, there is NO issues in driving at 140 kmph.
Hello swiftnfurious,

My pre-speed dash mileage was in the range of 18-20 Km/lt.

Thanks for the update w.r.t engine oil and NO issues in driving @ 140 Kmph
deucallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:16   #55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
To keep matters simple , just drive around for 3-4 days ( at least 100-125 km I think ) your car should adjust to your driving style and good FE. It takes time to adjust , does not happen immediately.

Did your relative ask you to add engine oil to the diesel in the tank ? Please do not do it ! Continue to fill diesel like the way you have done - this is not a machine where you have to add 2T or 4T .

Driving the Verna at 140 kmph would not cause any damage to the machine , the car can go upto much higher speeds . These days cars are also pre-run so 140 kmph after 3300 kms should be fine - one need not wait till 5000 km

ECU = Engine Control Unit ( its the brains of the engine, a computer simplistically - controls the various functions )
Hello souravc,

Thanks for the update.

Yes my relative (the supposed to be brillaint guy) suggested filling of the oil with diesel in the fuel tank.
deucallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 11:01   #56
BHPian
 
esranjith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

@deucallion

I faced same problem when letting my dad or a driver drive my 1.6 CRdi for a short while, though they dont do 140 kmph, the mileage would be a little different, just making another highway trip (300 km average) i will check the mileage again, it would show 23+ putting a smile on my face

one other thing you can try is after 3 - 4 days, reset your FE on MID (multi information display). this will calculate your FE from scratch not including old days.

Resetting ECU and MID are two different things. While ECU reset changes the FE with respect to the Engine (actual FE), resetting MID just resets the calculation of FE. hope i'm not confusing.
esranjith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 16:26   #57
BHPian
 
esranjith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Just a quick update on the Mileage i got last weekend. Took her on a road trip, about 1000 kms total mostly highways. I was driving most part of it. When i drove i got a mileage of 24 kmpl average. at one point of time, it even jumped to 24.6 (average, not real time). Was pleasantly surprised. Was doing between 100 and 120 all the time. Shifting gears more or less the same way MID says. (out of instinct, not looking at MID)

My father drove for about 2 hours. pushing it to 140 at times 120 all the time. guess what the FE he got. 18 - 19. :-o Wonder how could the mileage drop about 5 kmpl just because of driving style.
esranjith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 22:19   #58
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,429 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by esranjith View Post
Just a quick update on the Mileage i got last weekend. Took her on a road trip, about 1000 kms total mostly highways. I was driving most part of it. When i drove i got a mileage of 24 kmpl average. at one point of time, it even jumped to 24.6 (average, not real time). Was pleasantly surprised. Was doing between 100 and 120 all the time.
Am sure you ARE happy now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esranjith View Post
My father drove for about 2 hours. pushing it to 140 at times 120 all the time. guess what the FE he got. 18 - 19. :-o Wonder how could the mileage drop about 5 kmpl just because of driving style.
A lot of factors - high revving engine [non-optimal rpms], aero dynamics at higher speeds, more frequent braking? Anything beyond 100-120 kmph will bring down the FE by a good margin.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:29   #59
BHPian
 
esranjith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Am sure you ARE happy now!
Oh yes! I'm!! Cant wait to take her on another long drive. Love the way she handles on highways.. Huge difference between my dads Accent DLS with which i really have to think a couple of times before overtaking. With this fellow, just make your foot a little heavier and you are done overtaking.. after driving 400+ kms a day, i didnt feel tired at all.. What else would you require on a self driven sedan?
esranjith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 15:48   #60
BHPian
 
allinbalance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Update for ALL new Verna owners,

Do you know that the new Verna (petrol and diesel) is on sale for over 8 months now and STILL there is NO discount? I mean NONE. Nothing.

I took my brother in law to buy his Verna (Diesel) and the showroom Sales Manager (Trident) from where I brought mine looked at me as if I was a dimwit, "Sir, this is the NEW Verna..." The only thing he gave me was the mats for free.

Hyundai has indeed got a smash hit in their hands.

By the way, I hope you guys saw the Auto Expo photos of the coming Sonata and Elantra - they look as if from the same press mould as verna, but boy! -they are loaded to the gills with goodies..
allinbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX razorBlades Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 33 31st July 2015 19:09
The Gangnam Diaries - Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi Ownership Tassem Long-Term Ownership Reviews 47 22nd January 2015 07:42
Hyundai Verna SX CRDi (ABS) - My "Silver Rocket" newcoolgadgets Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 35 22nd October 2013 15:06
My Fluidic Hyundai Verna SX 1.6L CRDI deepjaju Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 27 28th April 2013 21:41
My new car - The New Fluidic Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX(O) CRDI MT gandavadi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 24th July 2012 15:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:23.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks