Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th December 2011, 16:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio - First trip update

Congrats on the purchase and the drive report!

Just a few pointers:
1. The Scorpio is a very heavy vehicle and hence it will be very difficult for it to handle soft sand. Hence I would not put all the blame on the tyres!
2. Even if you have 4WD it is not easy to handle sand.
3.It requires some little knowledge and practice of off road techniques to drive in and out of sand/ slush.
4. If I were you, I would ask an expert and take some "coaching" before attempting it on my own.
5.In a 2WD Scorpio, I would not venture onto the beach or into deep slush.
6. To get out of sand, if you start up the vehicle and try to run it out, all you will end up getting is wheelspin and this means that you will dig yourself deeper and deeper into the sand.
7.You need to either have it towed out like you did, OR carry a couple of wooden planks which you need to place under the tyres to give them some traction.
8.The same logic works for deep slush also.
9.The 2WD Scorpio though a pretty good vehicle in many ways, is just not meant to do really serious off road work on account of its sheer weight and bulk.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
3.Bridgestone H/T Tyres - Good for road but bad for sand. This happened when i reached Pondicheery and wanted to visit ECR to have a look at nearly beach and i did.Now, as you see being a novice driver though of taking my buddy towards the parking lot where i could see Innova, Scorpio and one Bolero Max truck parked out near beach. Big mistake..... suddenly i felt buddy is not pulling so stooped it at once and saw rear wheel stuck on sand. Here comes the bad picture ....one guy offered me help and i obliged as i was new to drive "SUV" bcoz his commnets made me confident that he may pull it over " i am a Safari driver trust me..". Wrost mistake my whole back trye went inside beach sand and i am totally stuck.These tyres were spinning like they don't have any grip on them.And i see this guy slowly move away from the scene. Thanks to another Mahindra vehicle that pulled mine out ......Bolero Max.
Lets see if i can put some more travel updates soon

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th December 2011 at 16:28.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 18:44   #17
BHPian

Hey I have a Scorpio of same Colour and a vlx model . I recently did a pondy trip single day and came back driving 800 kms + . No sign of. Fatigue at all .
I did had a similar experience in thirupathi where my tyre was stuck .( details in my travelogue)
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 18:44   #18
BHPian

2000 Km plus update:
As of now gear shifting is much better.Average mileage found to be 9.2 Km/Lit in city driving conditions.Few things which i have noticed recently are:

1.Engine noise a bit more than it was earlier.Engine oil checked and its upto the mark.
2.When i switch off ignition SUV vibrates to a stop.
3.There is slight noise while depressing clutch..negligible i think.

Are the above points common in Mahindra Scorpio 2 WD.
supratim07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 11:19   #19
BHPian

There were many more trips after my last post.

Trip to Mysore again, Yercaurd, Chennai and now all most 6000 km covered.
Few things i noticed this time after my 1st Service.

1. Engine noise has eased out. Thanks to Mobil 15W-40 grade mineral oil.
2. Door noise everywhere which was promptly rectified by Sireesh Service Engineer.
It seems it happens for a new car.
3. I received a mileage of 13.3 km/Lit when i used Shell Diesel while driving at 90 to 100 km/hr. But i got 12.45 km/lit when i used HP normal diesel. Not sure why as i drove at same speed.
4. AC cooling proved itself during Chennai visit recently .Why am i saying this because sun film has been removed from my Buddy.
5. ABS was used 3 times during my last 3 trips. Itís bit scary when it kicks in but assurance is there that one can steer off the obstacle.
6. My thumb has a constant pain now as i find it hard to press the horn and i think it would slowly go away.
7. Rear door has a gap, my finger can go inside that gap is that common with Scorpio back door panel alignment?

All small nicks and creeks were rectified by Sireesh Auto Service Engineer "Anil"in Marathahalli and appreciate him and Gopal for their workmanship in dealing issues whenever pointed.
They have a keen eye of patience to listen to customer. Kudos to them.
If someone wants any work to be carried out then ask for Anil, he would try to sort it out for you.
supratim07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 20:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
7. Rear door has a gap, my finger can go inside that gap is that common with Scorpio back door panel alignment?

All small nicks and creeks were rectified by Sireesh Auto Service Engineer "Anil"in Marathahalli and appreciate him and Gopal for their workmanship in dealing issues whenever pointed.
They have a keen eye of patience to listen to customer. Kudos to them.
If someone wants any work to be carried out then ask for Anil, he would try to sort it out for you.
Hi, rear door gap where finger can go inside is not normal. I would recommend you to get it checked. Anyway, I am not that big fan of door closing mechanism of Scorpio. It is always a challenge and you need to maintain some trick while closing the rear door and also the glove box!

Hope Mahindra give serious thoughts about this.
SharathScorp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The A.S.S would remove the rear door, adjust the hinge and re-fix the same. I have seen this on many scorpios. The results are satisfactory even though not excellent. The gap reduces to almost 70% of what it used to be, but not on par with Innova/fortuner.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote