Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th August 2012, 12:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tales Of Bagheera - My Black Panther aka VW Vento TDI Highline - First Service Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Hmm. That's weird. My fuel filter was replaced once under warranty earlier. This time around they said that during the first service the fuel filter must be replaced but no mention of being done under warranty. The massive Rs 17K for the seat related changes are for replacing the seat assemblies which had started rusting. This was done under warranty and I didn't pay anything for that. I mentioned that in my service report. For the older Vento owners, I think it is a good idea to check for this issue if one has already not done so (rusting in the front seat assemblies) as I remember I have seen similar problems reported here on TBHP by other Vento owners. If there is any rusting, it will be replaced by VW under warranty.
Mate, just back after giving my car for the second service . The fuel filter has to be replaced every 30,000 kms so you were certainly cheated there , I confirmed this at VW Downtown at Mumbai. Mine was replaced under warranty at 24,000 kms so I am not getting it changed this time.
I also checked on the seat assembly rusting issue , they mentioned that its an issue with the front seats of a few Ventos - they will have mine checked. Thanks for bringing it to our notice
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 22:07   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tales Of Bagheera - My Black Panther aka VW Vento TDI Highline - First Service Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Mate, just back after giving my car for the second service .
We need an update on it soon. Did you get the engine mounts changed too, any difference noted?

Quote:
The fuel filter has to be replaced every 30,000 kms so you were certainly cheated there , I confirmed this at VW Downtown at Mumbai.
Fuel filter is changed every 15000 Kms and with places with high sulfur content it is at 7500 kms, VW manual.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 22:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Mate, just back after giving my car for the second service . The fuel filter has to be replaced every 30,000 kms so you were certainly cheated there , I confirmed this at VW Downtown at Mumbai. Mine was replaced under warranty at 24,000 kms so I am not getting it changed this time.
I also checked on the seat assembly rusting issue , they mentioned that its an issue with the front seats of a few Ventos - they will have mine checked. Thanks for bringing it to our notice
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Fuel filter is changed every 15000 Kms and with places with high sulfur content it is at 7500 kms, VW manual.
Wow, that seems to be pretty confusing . I will check the manual tomorrow but I think I recall something like what Rohaan mentioned. Also will ask the VW guys here in Bhubaneshwar. Yep I am zipping around here on some nice highways. Just now while returning at night on NH5 I was hitting triple digit speeds without any risks or issues because the highways are so good and the car is even better. Stays just planted like anything at high speeds. As long as one is careful on some of the tricky stretches, this car can take anything.

Quote:
We need an update on it soon. Did you get the engine mounts changed too, any difference noted?
Rohaan can you confirm your source about which VINs will/must have an engine mount update? On checking with my SA in Kolkata they gave me the usual canned answer that my car does not need the replacement. How is this determined? Once I get the relevant data I will approach them. Thanks a lot .
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 00:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep I am zipping around here on some nice highways. Just now while returning at night on NH5 I was hitting triple digit speeds without any risks or issues because the highways are so good and the car is even better. Stays just planted like anything at high speeds. As long as one is careful on some of the tricky stretches, this car can take anything.
Vento TDi is certainly a performer on the highways. Its the Autobahns for which this car is made for, though it does in city drive without a fuss, except for hard clutch. Else cruising in 5th gear is true nirvana with power on tap at any rpm.

Quote:
Rohaan can you confirm your source about which VINs will/must have an engine mount update? On checking with my SA in Kolkata they gave me the usual canned answer that my car does not need the replacement. How is this determined? Once I get the relevant data I will approach them. Thanks a lot .
Below is the link to post giving the VIN no with technical document describing the problem and remedy for it. If your Vento's VIN No is before WVWH11605BT087313, then your car is entitled for engine mount replacement FOC. Even ask them for gearbox mount replacement too.

Link. (VW Polo/Vento engine mount issue)
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 10:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am yet to get my car, will get it today, will let you know .

You are confusing fuel filter with oil filter . Oil filter is changed every time the engine oil is changed i.e. every servicing . It costs less . Fuel filter is changed every 30000 km . It was not changed during my first service - if VW service indeed needs fuel filter to be changed every 15000 km then I am sure it would have been done . Mine was only changed at 24000 km mark because I specifically asked them to do so (under warranty). I don't remember any first service bills having reference to fuel filter change apart from samarjit's or where it was asked to be changed under warranty. Manual is in my car so can't refer to it now, will check it later.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Fuel filter is changed every 30000 km . It was not changed during my first service - if VW service indeed needs fuel filter to be changed every 15000 km then I am sure it would have been done .
Ditto here. Fuel filter wasn't changed - infact while settling the bill, I did query them a lot on why this wasn't done - they clearly stated that it is done every 30k kms only - as was the case with @mikon's second servicing which happened that day.

Also checked other people's first servicing details that have been put up here - most if not all of them do not mention fuel filter change in the bills.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 00:52   #67
BHPian

The Rapid manual says fuel filter is to be changed every 15k kms. Very unlikely that it would be any different for a vento.
torque18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 14:24   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Fuel filter is changed every 30000 km .
It should be changed every 15,000 kms.

Quote:
It was not changed during my first service -
A mistake by the A.S.S.

Quote:
if VW service indeed needs fuel filter to be changed every 15000 km then I am sure it would have been done .
Probably missed it by oversight.

Quote:
Mine was only changed at 24000 km mark because I specifically asked them to do so (under warranty).
Having not done so, and realising the error, they probably agreed to change it under warranty. In fact the need for a warranty replacement (which indicates component failure) is because the fuel filter had well exceeded it's service life.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 14:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
It should be changed every 15,000 kms.

A mistake by the A.S.S.

Probably missed it by oversight.

Having not done so, and realising the error, they probably agreed to change it under warranty. In fact the need for a warranty replacement (which indicates component failure) is because the fuel filter had well exceeded it's service life.
Thats quite a bit of assumption regarding the collective amnesia of SAs across 4-5 different workshops across multiple cities where they forget to change the fuel filter and in my case even after being prompted to do so . The replacement of fuel filter under warranty is only for the earlier Ventos pertaining to certain VINs - the component had not failed and its unrelated to forgetful SAs. The fuel filter is a paid part otherwise , even if they forget they would charge for it whenever they change it.
Old 18th August 2012, 15:18   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Thats quite a bit of assumption regarding the collective amnesia of SAs across 4-5 different workshops across multiple cities where they forget to change the fuel filter and in my case even after being prompted to do so . The replacement of fuel filter under warranty is only for the earlier Ventos pertaining to certain VINs - the component had not failed and its unrelated to forgetful SAs. The fuel filter is a paid part otherwise , even if they forget they would charge for it whenever they change it.
There is no assumption here. VW initially advised the service interval for change of fuel filter as 30,000 kms. However, this was not working out as cars were reporting fuel filter issues on account of the fuel quality. VW has since advised that fuel filters be changed on all cars at 15,000 km intervals and therefore all cars going in for service now will have the fuel filter changed at 15,000 kms.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 08:35   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Now that this is being discussed, I remember my fuel filter was changed under warranty back in January or February this year when I had complained of sluggishness after cold starts. After the replacement the engine revved much better in 1st & 2nd.
Old 19th August 2012, 22:26   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Now that this is being discussed,
Well written review mate! I read it yesterday and was in splits for a long time. Your reference to Shanti "enough about Shanti ..otherwise there will be ashanti.." and the A.S.S as Shere Khan still has me in splits !!
There is a saying - " Comedy is truth and truth is comedy" - and this comes out so well in your review. Do continue to keep us entertained !!

On another note I came into the discussion to correct some information which seems to have been given on account of the "collective amnesia of the SA's @ VW Downtown and others" as below:

Quote:
The fuel filter has to be replaced every 30,000 kms so you were certainly cheated there , I confirmed this at VW Downtown at Mumbai.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 23:21   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that this is being discussed, I remember my fuel filter was changed under warranty back in January or February this year when I had complained of sluggishness after cold starts. After the replacement the engine revved much better in 1st & 2nd.
Frankly I do not agree with the impression that fuel filter is being changed under warranty to make up for the fact that the guys forgot to change the fuel filter during 15K kms service. I also do not think that its possible that workshop attendants at Pune , Mumbai and Bangalore would all forget to change the fuel filter when its supposed to be changed . You can refer to the service bills of evilshantanu, ninja, mikon and el_lobo.
My service was done 3-4 days back so I am not too sure about the revised instruction regarding smaller change interval of fuel filters due to the new realisation by the VW honchos about the poor diesel quality in India . I guess the Vento discussions have been pretty active so any such move is likely to be picked up by us. I specifically asked the SA and he mentioned 30K kms interval .

Anyways I have mailed across to VW seeking clarification on the same , will let you know whats the response when I receive it. Till such time , the reduced interval for fuel filter is mere speculation to me . Your machine so its entirely upto you what kind of over engineering you live with though
Old 19th August 2012, 23:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Well written review mate! I read it yesterday and was in splits for a long time. Your reference to Shanti "enough about Shanti ..otherwise there will be ashanti.." and the A.S.S as Shere Khan still has me in splits !!
There is a saying - " Comedy is truth and truth is comedy" - and this comes out so well in your review. Do continue to keep us entertained !!
Thanks a lot. I tried my best, considering that was my first full fledged thread .

Quote:
On another note I came into the discussion to correct some information which seems to have been given on account of the "collective amnesia of the SA's @ VW Downtown and others" as below:
Quote:
Frankly I do not agree with the impression that fuel filter is being changed under warranty to make up for the fact that the guys forgot to change the fuel filter during 15K kms service. I also do not think that its possible that workshop attendants at Pune , Mumbai and Bangalore would all forget to change the fuel filter when its supposed to be changed . You can refer to the service bills of evilshantanu, ninja, mikon and el_lobo.
My service was done 3-4 days back so I am not too sure about the revised instruction regarding smaller change interval of fuel filters due to the new realisation by the VW honchos about the poor diesel quality in India . I guess the Vento discussions have been pretty active so any such move is likely to be picked up by us. I specifically asked the SA and he mentioned 30K kms interval .

Anyways I have mailed across to VW seeking clarification on the same , will let you know whats the response when I receive it. Till such time , the reduced interval for fuel filter is mere speculation to me . Your machine so its entirely upto you what kind of over engineering you live with though
This is becoming quite a mini controversy now . I will check with my SAs once I get back from vacation. I have already started poking them about the engine mount issue. Sourav, did you check with your SA about the engine mount issue also?
Old 19th August 2012, 23:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sourav, did you check with your SA about the engine mount issue also?
I got them changed , as has been updated on my thread 2nd Service Update
Not interested in controversies, understand a bit about car design and car launches and the fact that VW is a corporate client helps Will wait for the response from VW to distinguish opinions from facts.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote