| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|15th December 2011, 10:04||#1|
Join Date: Aug 2011
Thanked: 1,008 Times
2012 Honda CRV - First driving impression
I was in my Honda service center y'day for a regular oil change, and was talking to my service adviser casually about the 2012 CRV. He offered me a test drive on the 2012 that they received earlier y'day morning. Officially the 2012 CRV goes on sale in USA from Dec 15th.
You can find photos of the new CRV here (Honda CR-V 2012. EDIT : Brochure pics leaked!). I took a couple of photos on my cell phone, which are attached.
Interior & Exterior
1. I was expecting a bigger vehicle from those photos, but the dimensions and interior space is almost the same when you see it in person.
2. Interior fit & finish and quality of materials have improved.
3. Acura styling is copied in the new cabin, especially the speedometer cluster, fake wood trim and seats
4. The Seats are much more comfortable than the outgoing model.
5. Steering wheel is leather wrapped, but felt more plastic like
6. Many more features become standard (like sub woofer, one pull automatic folding rear seats, fog lamps, USB/bluetooth stereo etc) compared to similar variants of the outgoing model.
7. One big glove box in the passenger side and the 6 CD changer will be missed.
8. The built-in concave mirror for blind spot coverage didnt help much. I rather have a 2$ aftermarket one.
9. No third row seat option again.
1. I have two major complaints about my CRV. a) road/tire noise , b)lack of power/torque at around 50-55mph . Both are NOT improved.
2. In paper, there is a marginal improvement in power from the outgoing model, but never felt it.
3. The ride and handling are almost identical to the outgoing one under normal driving conditions. (note that I didn't push the vehicle to extremes).
4. The "econo mode" button and "green console lighting" reminded me of the old TVS Victor days. Couldn't really test these modes in the short test drive.
Overall feeling : This vehicle has the potential to keep the same sales numbers as the outgoing model. Honda increased the prices of CRV around 1%, but standard equipment levels has gone up compared to the old model. Honda will be selling very close to the MSRP in the next couple of months. (EXL model asking price is $28.5k where as the MSRP is $29.1K), which probably is on the high side for this vehicle. It may not be a good idea to buy the 2012 model immediately. Already dealerships started clearing the 2011 model stock at a discounted rate.
|9th March 2012, 15:07||#3|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thanked: 815 Times
Re: 2012 Honda CRV - First driving impression
The CRV is a great car but I share some of the qualms arjithin has written about. Road/tyre noise is quite evident. You can feel every undulation on the road. Maybe the civic platform wasnt adequate for the car.
Another problem for Indian CRV owners is the wait for parts to arrive. Everytime something needs to be replaced it needs to be ordered in from Japan. Also contributes to high servicing charges.
I found the 2012 CRV to be a bit 'bulky' in the back. Seems to have lost bit of a "sleekish" design of the outgoing model.
Any idea when it reaches India?
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|1994 Toyota Supra driving impression||Dippy||Super-Cars & Imports in India||36||7th June 2011 06:05|
|First impression of Honda Aviator||raghutk||Motorbikes||39||14th September 2009 15:56|
|Driving Impression: Maserati Granturismo||Fireblader85||Super-Cars & Imports in India||24||30th August 2008 22:01|
|Hyundai Elantra Petrol - Driving Impression!!!||Shan2nu||Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports||6||24th October 2004 19:39|
|Honda City and CR-V - Driving Impression!!!||Shan2nu||Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports||6||8th May 2004 13:15|