Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 21:24   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,491
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

I think it has a little to do with the headlight design, as well as the way the manufacturer must have tuned the focussing.

On the bright side, getting a new camera soon, so better pictures should be up soon. Will also take some of the headlight throw comparison between the E60 and A6.

Last edited by lamborghini : 10th March 2012 at 21:26.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 20:34   #62
BHPian
 
Harbir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 909
Thanked: 963 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

The current issue of Autocar India has a comparison test of the A6 2.0TDi, the E220 CDI, the 520d, and the S80 D3.

A6 rated best of the lot.

Also, there is the Autocar Asian car of the year, involving all the other autocar magazines in asia. 2012 asian car of the year is the audi A6. "With the new A6, the Audi has set the benchmark in its class in terms of refinement, interior tech, and engineering prowess. Its no longer just competition for the 5 series and E-Class, its become the one to beat."
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 22:27   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,491
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Thanks for the heads up - Will buy an issue to see how they feel about the trio.

In other news, the car was recently scratched by a taxi. Nothing very serious, but a little disheartening. Hopefully it will go away with a little polishing. Still waiting for the perfect opportunity to capture the car in all its glory. So far, none of the pics do justice to her.

Harbir: Have you found the AC blower settings to be a little inconvenient on the go? Its not like the BMW or the Mercedes, which even though have climate control, allow you to adjust the speed of the blower through a separate button/knob on the dash. When I used the car, i had to press another button, and then adjust the blower speed - which I found a little unnerving on the go. Maybe if I use the car more often.
I hate that Audi/BMW/Mercedes have different ways of doing the same thing. I just can't understand why they can't use the same format. Like in the BMW, I have to move the shifter to the left to activate S mode, where as in the Audi I have to move it below D, because moving it to the right would activate tiptronic.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 00:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,674 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
the A6's lights are amongst the worst and most dangerous lights I have ever encountered. The low beams are aimed too low and there is no way for the owner to adjust them (as I was able to on my 330i),
ECE/ARAI/NHSTA all require cars to have headlight beam adjustment.

In your case, its automatically done by the car using input from ride height sensor. There should be way to manipulate the base setting by tweaking the ride-height-sensor-linkage in the rear suspension. (if its not already provided by Audi)

Last edited by Mpower : 27th March 2012 at 00:40.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 20:37   #65
BHPian
 
Harbir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 909
Thanked: 963 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Harbir: Have you found the AC blower settings to be a little inconvenient on the go?
I have never adjusted the fan speed ever. I just leave it on auto and adjust the temperature and that works perfectly. The AC does have three modes that are set in the vehicle settings (Eco, normal and intensive). Its normally on Eco but I have found that if the cooling is not to my taste with just the knob settings, then switching to normal or intensive, and then continuing to use just the temp knob is does the trick. But so far, its stayed in ECO.

My father who drives the car mostly has a habit of fiddling with fan speeds in his cars because he's never gotten used automatic climate control. He finds the audi no problem. a touch on the fan button and a turn of the knob does the trick very quickly.


But to be honest, I typically do not favor automatic climate control systems. In fact I typically dislike them and much prefer the three knob manual systems (the three knobs being temp, fan speed, direction).

and yes, I agree. The japanese have intuitive control interfaces because the operatibility, functions, and iconography are very standard and you can figure out in 2 seconds how to do what you want.

The german companies are stupid in this regard because they get all cutesey on sophisticated interfaces but which add no capability and detract from ergonomic value.

I asked myself why they do it, and the only sensible answer I can come up with is that cars with standardized interfaces tend to have an ordinary, non-special feel interior, no matter how nice the interior design, quality and materials. Audi, BMW, etc rely on unfamiliar and unpredictable control interfaces to make new arrivals to the brand feel like they are in an attractively unfamiliar and special place.

You do get that special feel, but you get no functional or ergonomic benefit.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 22:44   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,491
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I have never adjusted the fan speed ever. I just leave it on auto and adjust the temperature and that works perfectly. The AC does have three modes that are set in the vehicle settings (Eco, normal and intensive). Its normally on Eco but I have found that if the cooling is not to my taste with just the knob settings, then switching to normal or intensive, and then continuing to use just the temp knob is does the trick. But so far, its stayed in ECO.

My father who drives the car mostly has a habit of fiddling with fan speeds in his cars because he's never gotten used automatic climate control. He finds the audi no problem. a touch on the fan button and a turn of the knob does the trick very quickly.


But to be honest, I typically do not favor automatic climate control systems. In fact I typically dislike them and much prefer the three knob manual systems (the three knobs being temp, fan speed, direction).

and yes, I agree. The japanese have intuitive control interfaces because the operatibility, functions, and iconography are very standard and you can figure out in 2 seconds how to do what you want.

The german companies are stupid in this regard because they get all cutesey on sophisticated interfaces but which add no capability and detract from ergonomic value.

I asked myself why they do it, and the only sensible answer I can come up with is that cars with standardized interfaces tend to have an ordinary, non-special feel interior, no matter how nice the interior design, quality and materials. Audi, BMW, etc rely on unfamiliar and unpredictable control interfaces to make new arrivals to the brand feel like they are in an attractively unfamiliar and special place.

You do get that special feel, but you get no functional or ergonomic benefit.
Hey Harbir,

My father likes a set temperature and blower speed, which I found too low for my liking. I found the fact that you have to press a button and then use the knob a little inconvenient, especially given that in the W211, I only have to use one button, and in the E60 I just have to use one knob.
I personally hate the feel as well, and honestly, I think it is more of an annoyance than anything else. In fact, in some cases, it is a safety hazard, like when one takes their eyes off to adjust the blower speed, or to use the MMI to change the songs - which is the opposite of what it is on the BMW as well, so for example if you have to turn the knob to the right in the BMW to change a song, in the Audi, you need to turn it to the left.

If they want to make it special, then focus on making all the gizmo's easier to use, as well as a few more small additions to make life easier. The small touches like how the auto-hold disengages when one presses the accelerator, and how the rear sun shade goes down automatically when one engages 'R' are great features that I love - it shows thoughtfulness.
However, Audi skimped out big time by not providing convex/concave ORVMs - a basic requirement for such a large car that is being sold in congested cities.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 00:44   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,491
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
The current issue of Autocar India has a comparison test of the A6 2.0TDi, the E220 CDI, the 520d, and the S80 D3.

A6 rated best of the lot.
Got a chance to finally read the article.
What is interesting is that the A6 out accelerates all its rivals, including the 520d, upto 100kmph.
Also, dynamic mode firms up the steering a little bit, so its nicer to use - will experiment once I get the car for some time.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 09:51   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,223
Thanked: 744 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini

- The rear sun screen rolls down when Reverse is engaged, and once the car goes back into 'D', it rolls back up.
!
I suspect this is a rather silly question but is there a way to disable this feature? The reason I ask, doesn't it get disconcerting for the rear screen to up and down again and again if you're parking in a tight spot that requires constant toggling between D and R? Perhaps the answer is to keep the screen down in such situations instead of up in which case the feature would not operate?

Thanks in advance.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 15:20   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,491
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I suspect this is a rather silly question but is there a way to disable this feature? The reason I ask, doesn't it get disconcerting for the rear screen to up and down again and again if you're parking in a tight spot that requires constant toggling between D and R? Perhaps the answer is to keep the screen down in such situations instead of up in which case the feature would not operate?

Thanks in advance.
From what I understand, the only way to do this would be to keep the screen down in such situations. Luckily we havent encountered such a situation as yet, and keep the screens down unless its afternoon time.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 03:27   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,491
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Got a chance to drive the car again today, and with regards to Axe77's point, I noticed that the rear sun blind didn't come up until the car gained some speed.
That said, the suspension is quite comfortable at the setting its on. You can feel the bumps, but they would be much worse in the BMW. In fact, over undulations, the car felt pretty planted, but I need to verify this.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:24   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Panaji
Posts: 50
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Better late than never! Congrats lamborghini for the Audi A6 2.0 TDI! I had test driven the car some time back. It was a wonderful drive but the only thing spoiling the drive, was the extremely light steering. But I drove the car in comfort mode. Does the steering weigh up a bit in dynamics mode?
crux is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:41   #72
BHPian
 
Harbir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 909
Thanked: 963 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

it weights up quite a bit
Harbir is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 13:20   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,491
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

I have actually noticed that the steering weighed up when I was driving in S mode. Was quite good fun actually.

What wasn't was the week long stay at the service center. The car's AC got fried, and the car spent a week at the service center trying to get it fixed. Also there were some problems with the Start/Stop button which were traced to a loose connection.
Couple this with our late model Octy that came with a faulty clutch and required suspension work at 40Kkm, along with a replacement of loose interior parts, and I am not impressed with VAG.
An AC issue is not expected within 5,000kms! Especially on a 50L car. I hope we do not face any more such issues. I love the VAG cars, but at the moment, unless they prove themselves, I would be very careful before recommending or picking one up.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 16:45   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,261
Thanked: 78,617 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
What wasn't was the week long stay at the service center. The car's AC got fried, and the car spent a week at the service center trying to get it fixed.
When will the Germans finally learn to make air-conditioners? Most German cars suffer from air-con issues in India.

Sorry to hear about this, and I hope your car performs well now.

Precisely the reason that I'm waiting for this.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 14:32   #75
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 1,023
Thanked: 91 Times
Default re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Just got a chance to drive A6, man this really isa super cool car. it looked to me like I am sitting on a cockpit with so many controls around.
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volvo S60 D5: 4 year / 25000 kms Ownership Review psispace Long-Term Ownership Reviews 64 21st February 2017 13:54
My Renault Duster 110 BHP RXL. EDIT: 25000 kms, Phase 2 accessories report suchit23 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 142 21st July 2015 21:45
Braveheart's Toyota Innova VX completed 25000 kms. braveheart_77 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 6 12th July 2011 10:45
My Fiat Petra... Three years & 25000 KMs ownership experience rishi_kapoor Long-Term Ownership Reviews 43 26th July 2007 13:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks