Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th September 2016, 10:47   #106
BHPian

Default Re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Thanks, that is good to know and makes sense. In that case mounts, nuts, bolts require changing. Why do they also change connecting rods and plates?

Here is how I would explain the Rs Lakh bill:

Actual part requiring replacement:
One side suspension mount: Rs 15K
Bolts and nuts and labour: Rs 10K

Unnecessary parts replaced:
One side plates and connecting link rod: Rs 15K

Total cost for one side suspension job: Rs 50K
Other side suspension job as bonus: Rs 50K

My only explanation for this type of repair is that Audi engineers don't expect the suspension to go bad this soon. The mounts they use are fancy and provide excellent ride but can not take the abuse of Indian driving conditions with unexpected speed breakers, potholes, etc.
I looked up some of the part numbers mentioned in the invoice. The parts at numbers 16, and 19 costing about Rs. 14K each are engine mounts, and not suspension parts. The retainer plates at numbers 17, 20 are transmission retainer plates.

Connecting links seem like they can actually go bad in five years, considering it is a 2011 car and assuming they have not been changed previously. I looked up the part, and it has rubber bushings on both ends of the links.

However, I have seen some, if not most, luxury car dealers in India trying to rack up the bills as much as possible. This may well be the case here too.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 20th September 2016 at 10:51.
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 14:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi. Update: 3.5 years, 25000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Am surprised that the bushes gave away so soon, if i remember correctly, you also had a shock absorber or some thing changed in warranty. VW/Skoda do not cover suspension bushes or any rubber parts (like gearbox mount) under extended warranty and seems this same policy is being carried forward by Audi.

If your car is going out of warranty soon, why do you want to get the repairs done at the authorized workshop? Mumbai would definitely have a lot of local garages who can do such a work as A6 is a good seller and the cost of doing this repair would be less than half of what Audi is quoting you. It is a well known fact with these germans to find a good local garage when the warranty runs out.
You're right - a few pages back I had mentioned the Air Suspension failure which was promptly fixed under warranty.
Re: independent mechs - trust me, I am on the look out for a reliable mech since a while! Issue is finding a good mechanic whom I could trust the A6/other Germans with. While there are lots of references in the Mumbai Directory, finding someone who has experience with Germans and who has proper parking is surprisingly difficult!
Sunil Shanbagh is one guy who I've heard great things about - but keeping in mind parking woes at his workshop, I am a little concerned sending the Audi to them.

Any references would help!

It was sent to the A.S.S. partly due to the fact the car was under warranty and the issue cropped up after a recent service, and partly because dad is more comfortable with them when it comes to the servicing of these vehicles. Until I can find a good independent, who can service the Laura and the E60, it will be difficult to change his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal View Post
I suspect something really fishy here. If you have taken so much care of your car and even if we assume that either one or more of the many drivers there at the service centre drove your A6 roughly, the bushes can not start making noise all of a sudden. For the bushes to start making noise the struts and the bushes take on a lot of beating and then start to give up. And man, at 33,000 kms? Seriously? The bushes on my A4 are wearing out for the first time near the 49,000 kms mark and that too due to it facing quite some spirited driving.
I can vouch for our driver's credibility - he is by far one of the better people on the roads, maintaining road discipline, barely honking (only if someone jumps out), without any major incident in years, and who slows down for bad potholes. In the past he drove the W211 E270 and the E60 (both of which didn't require any suspension work, barring the E60 recently - after 7 years and 50Kkm - owing to it's stiffer set up).

Heck, the Laura too didn't require any suspension work barring a minor job up until now (60Kkm), which sees the same daily commute as the A6 + much much worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I think I should comment on the nuts, bolts, clamps, that are usually changed. There is some truth to it. VAG is known for using stretch bolts and nuts almost everywhere on the suspension. Torquing them down involves stretching the threads, for a firm "hold".
Thanks for sharing this - I wasn't aware of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Why do they also change connecting rods and plates?

Here is how I would explain the Rs Lakh bill:

Actual part requiring replacement:
One side suspension mount: Rs 15K

Unnecessary parts replaced:
One side plates and connecting link rod: Rs 15K

Total cost for one side suspension job: Rs 50K
Other side suspension job as bonus: Rs 50K

My only explanation for this type of repair is that Audi engineers don't expect the suspension to go bad this soon. The mounts they use are fancy and provide excellent ride but can not take the abuse of Indian driving conditions with unexpected speed breakers, potholes, etc.
This was one of the first batches of the A6 2.0TDi - and was imported as a CBU. It gave some typical troubles such as the A.C. and Air Suspension failure, some of which I am sure Audi has taken care of when localising the vehicle. Wonder if this would be part of it.

Also, they have mentioned that both the sides front suspension bushes have been cut.

Interestingly, dad had given the go ahead to the workshop yesterday, but they don't have the parts ready. I am trying to see if I can send it to another workshop instead.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote